Quantum of Solace Appreciation Thread- We Found a Better Place to Meet

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    I've been watching a few Bond films lately. As others have mentioned, I miss some of the immersive location work that we see in earlier films. It really was a Bond differentiator in the past, and gave some of the earlier films a travelogue element. I almost travelled vicariously through Bond, and in fact did visit many of the locations in person when I got older.

One thing I will say about QoS is that it does take us to some great locations, and given there is limited CGI at play (unlike SP), one does really feel like one is there. The vibrant colour work also helps in this regard.

As I said yesterday, if only they'd 'lingered' a little longer in these places (like Siena), and edited the action a little less frenetically, I'd easily have this as a top 10 film, even with the lack of romance in it, which is saying something because that is normally a key requirement for me in a highly rated Bond film.

I guess what I'm saying is what it does well, it does really well.

Great point, I agree.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe, well that was a quick turnaround! Today, you're praising how the action in QoS was handled and just how well it was shot and edited, and yet yesterday you stated it's impossible to follow, needlessly frenetic, and overly tight. Which is it?

Er, if you reread my last post I said: I agree with everything that is highlighted.

The part about the action isn't highlighted.

My apologies. For some reason, I was reading the bolded text as his comments, and the un-bolded parts as your replies to him. I was going to say, you must've rewatched QoS a few times yesterday and flip-flopped on your opinion rather quickly!

No worries! I do very much enjoy QoS as a film, just FYI.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Daniel Craig is a force of nature in QoS. There's a believable menace to the man. Someone you'd best not mess with. I've never seen a better portrayal of quietly coiled intensity (from a hero) as he delivers in this film. It's a great performance from him.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I love every establishing shot in this film. They are all different and could easily be accompanied by text straight from Fleming.
    I love every establishing shot in this film. They are all different and could easily be accompanied by text straight from Fleming.

Very much agreed. This is also an aspect of the film that doesn't get the recognition that it deserves.
    Dan Bradley was the action unit Director on QOS, same as he was on the Bourne films. I remember the producers came in for criticism at the time for hiring him, saying they wanted to capture the action style of the Bournes, but to me the action in QoS couldn't be more different and was pure Bond. The exception maybe,was the Slate fight which was in the same brutal style as the Bourne fight sequences.
    QOS has come in for a real hammering from some critics, quite undeserved. its a top ten Bond movie for me, and gets better with every viewing!
    There was always one moment I found odd though. it was straight after the boat chase, when Camille had been knocked out, and its simply an extended shot of Bond driving the boat along, admiring the scenery!!! It seemed a bit pointless to me! A minor thing in an otherwise excellent film!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Mathis1, I've always felt that bit serves as a nice cooldown to what came before; in a matter of minutes, we have a fist fight, fleeing from a motorcycle, fighting off Camille, pursuing on a motorcycle, a short chase that ends with Bond stealing the boat, all culminating in a crash and extensive chase scene, so hearing the music get a little more calm as Bond drives along and enjoys the scenery makes scene and is a great addition for me (and for those who feel that the locations aren't represented as well as they could've been in the movie). It's a lot like Bond casually relaxing on the boat on his way to Mathis' place in Talamone, or the calm driving scene as Bond tracks down Greene in Bregenz.
    Creasy47, but I think those scenes you mention had purpose, where I don't think that moment served anything! But as I said, a minor thing, its just one of those niggling moments when I watch QoS (Which is often!)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Mathis1, what purpose do those scenes hold that the one in question doesn't? We could've easily seen Bond docking at Mathis' place and kicked off the scene there, or we could've just had Bond arriving out front of the opera house without him driving through the city.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think it was a nod to Moore actually, who did the same thing in TMWTGG in the Thai canal after he'd finished with his chase. That's when JW first spots him and almost recognizes him....but doesn't and is distracted by the elephant trunk in his pocket. That's what I thought the first time I saw the film anyway.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Actually that little moment after the boat chase may be my favorite moment in the 4 Craig films. Cool little cue from Arnold and Craig looking relaxed on the boat and admiring the view. I'd put that 10 seconds moment up there with the short scene when Moore is in the shadows in Cairo with the uterly cool cue from Hamlisch.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think this secures Craig as best Bond ever:

Creasy47, its maybe that fact you say that the movie moves along at such a pace, that when it just pauses (and it is a long pause, compared to Bond arriving at Talamone etc) that it just seems a bit odd! I agree though that it does give Arnold a chance to flex his music talent!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I think this secures Craig as best Bond ever:

Yeah, awesome.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    "Well I missed." I laugh at that and how Dan plays it every time. Wonderful scene.
    "Well I missed." I laugh at that and how Dan plays it every time. Wonderful scene.
    As much as I love SPECTRE for the fun, QOS is simply bitchin'.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @chrisisall, as we know, QoS is chock-full of moments that make me chuckle or break in to full-on laughter. People seem to think that this movie is just a depressing, doom and gloom adventure, but it's far from it. Some of the best comedic writing in Bond, and physical comedy from the actors, in the franchise.

Camille: So, what's your interest in Greene?
    James Bond: Among other things, he tried to kill a friend of mine.
    Camille: A woman?
    James Bond: Yes. But it's not what you think.
    Camille: Your mother?
    James Bond: She likes to think so.

Dominic Greene: My friends call me Dominic.
    James Bond: I'm sure they do.

M: If you could avoid killing every possible lead, it would be deeply appreciated.
    James Bond: I'll do my best.
    M: I've heard that before.

James Bond: [at a dirty, small motel] What are we doing?
    Strawberry Fields: We're teachers on sabbatical. This fits our cover.
    James Bond: No it doesn't. I'd rather stay at a morgue. Come on.
    [they go to a nicer hotel]
    James Bond: [to the hotel receptionist] Hello. We're teachers on sabbatical and we've just won the lottery.

M: The Americans are gonna be none too pleased.
    James Bond: I promised them Le Chiffre and they got him.
    M: They got his body.
    James Bond: Well, if they wanted his soul, they should have made a deal with a priest.

Camille: How much did he want?
    James Bond: He wanted you but I left the car as collateral. He'll get much more when he sells us out.

Strawberry Fields: [to Mathis] I'm sorry, I don't know who you are.
    James Bond: [to Mathis] You see? You've been gone for such a short time and you're already forgotten.

Strawberry Fields: If you attempt to flee I will arrest you, drop you off at the jail and take you to the plane in chains, understand?
    James Bond: [Opening the taxi door] Perfectly. After you.
    Mathis: I think she has handcuffs.
    James Bond: I hope so.
    Just more reasons why I love this movie so. =D>
    @chrisisall, as we know, QoS is chock-full of moments that make me chuckle or break in to full-on laughter. People seem to think that this movie is just a depressing, doom and gloom adventure, but it's far from it. Some of the best comedic writing in Bond, and physical comedy from the actors, in the franchise.

Never got why this was so funny. :P

Well, because M is very much like Bond's naggy mother, and to hear him take a shot at her while she's not there to hear him is amusing to me.
  • chrisisall wrote: »

Dominic Greene: My friends call me Dominic.
    James Bond: I'm sure they do.

M: If you could avoid killing every possible lead, it would be deeply appreciated.
    James Bond: I'll do my best.
    M: I've heard that before.

James Bond: [at a dirty, small motel] What are we doing?
    Strawberry Fields: We're teachers on sabbatical. This fits our cover.
    James Bond: No it doesn't. I'd rather stay at a morgue. Come on.
    [they go to a nicer hotel]
    James Bond: [to the hotel receptionist] Hello. We're teachers on sabbatical and we've just won the lottery.

M: The Americans are gonna be none too pleased.
    James Bond: I promised them Le Chiffre and they got him.
    M: They got his body.
    James Bond: Well, if they wanted his soul, they should have made a deal with a priest.

Camille: How much did he want?
    James Bond: He wanted you but I left the car as collateral. He'll get much more when he sells us out.

Strawberry Fields: [to Mathis] I'm sorry, I don't know who you are.
    James Bond: [to Mathis] You see? You've been gone for such a short time and you're already forgotten.

Strawberry Fields: If you attempt to flee I will arrest you, drop you off at the jail and take you to the plane in chains, understand?
    James Bond: [Opening the taxi door] Perfectly. After you.
    Mathis: I think she has handcuffs.
    James Bond: I hope so.

Only the handcuffs quote is mildly funny to me if I am perfectly honest.
  • The action scenes in QOS are appreciable only in retrospection. That is, after the action of SF and SP where there is little pace. There's always a lot of urgency in QOS's fights, even if they are excessive.
    The action scenes in QOS are appreciable only in retrospection. That is, after the action of SF and SP where there is little pace. There's always a lot of urgency in QOS's fights, even if they are excessive.

The problem is the main unit and the second unit never even met. Forster had no interest in action, he just let Bradley and the stunt team handle all that stuff. That's why all the action starts suddenly, there was no communication going on. If you watch either Campbell Bond film, the action often starts out small and contained and things slowly escalate and ramp up. Take the airport scene in CR for example. It starts by Bond tailing this guy, and ends with both men in a fistfight whilst speeding down a runway in a lorry. The same goes for most Campbell directed action sequences. This is because Campbell, unlike Forster, is a director who understands action. He will hold on wide shots because he wants to show off what is happening in the clearest way. The crazy shot lengths, shaky cam, and weird closeups in QoS are used to try and distract from the fact that the action itself just isn't very inspired. It's like adding lots of pepper to a bland dish.

Well, because M is very much like Bond's naggy mother, and to hear him take a shot at her while she's not there to hear him is amusing to me.

Oh... I finally get it after all these years, the way they worded it was confusing though.
  • RC7RC7

Oh... I finally get it after all these years, the way they worded it was confusing though.

Always seemed pretty clear to me.
    RC7 wrote: »

Always seemed pretty clear to me.

I thought they were referring to Vesper.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Did Greene try to kill both M and Vesper?
    Did Greene try to kill both M and Vesper?
    Was there a deleted scene from CR that I missed-?
  • The action scenes in QOS are appreciable only in retrospection. That is, after the action of SF and SP where there is little pace. There's always a lot of urgency in QOS's fights, even if they are excessive.

The problem is the main unit and the second unit never even met. Forster had no interest in action, he just let Bradley and the stunt team handle all that stuff. That's why all the action starts suddenly, there was no communication going on. If you watch either Campbell Bond film, the action often starts out small and contained and things slowly escalate and ramp up. Take the airport scene in CR for example. It starts by Bond tailing this guy, and ends with both men in a fistfight whilst speeding down a runway in a lorry. The same goes for most Campbell directed action sequences. This is because Campbell, unlike Forster, is a director who understands action. He will hold on wide shots because he wants to show off what is happening in the clearest way. The crazy shot lengths, shaky cam, and weird closeups in QoS are used to try and distract from the fact that the action itself just isn't very inspired. It's like adding lots of pepper to a bland dish.

I hate how there is no buildup to any of the action in QOS. The movie wouldn't sit still.
    The action scenes in QOS are appreciable only in retrospection. That is, after the action of SF and SP where there is little pace. There's always a lot of urgency in QOS's fights, even if they are excessive.

I hate how there is no buildup to any of the action in QOS. The movie wouldn't sit still.

I think there was plenty build up. Burning build up, actually. In just the first scenes of action in the film alone, there's plenty.

In Siena, we see Mitchell around as White is being brought in, and instantly trust him just because he's in the MI6 inner circle and never suspect that anything is going to kick up. As White teases M and Bond about how he and Quantum have the upper hand, his words become a greater truth as Mitchell snaps and tries to kill them both, signaling the opening chase of the film and displaying just how powerful and deceptive an entity that Quantum are.

In the Slate fight, there's wonderful shots of tension leading up to it where Bond is sneaking into the man's apartment, and for a while, you think he's alone until, out of the silence, Slate breaks through the glass doors at Bond in fury. The lead up to the fight is mysterious, unnerving and peaceful, all at the same time, as one of the the shots are beads being rustled by a breeze. The peaceful imagery of Slate's home and the later feral nature of the man's fighting style as he explodes out of nowhere at Bond are used to great dichotomous effect and completely disturb our expectations of how the scene was going to play out.

I for one think these scenes alone offer a fascinating and deep build up to their action sequences, with both subtle and overt visual and verbal cues supplied to signal what is coming for Bond.