No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    That is indeed possible @fjdinardo, but I don't think Craig will go for that. He was apparently against the idea for a B24/B25 combo shoot, which was one of the initial plans.

True but with the right story, director, and pay I think he do it. Never say never
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Sounds like the franchise is getting tired and running out of ideas.

To me, it sounds like they are focusing on quality rather then quantity and rightly so.

• edited March 2016 Posts: 2,483

There's no excuse for running out of ideas. These people are being very handsomely compensated to come up with ideas. Hell, if you want new ideas, one way of getting them is by reading a huge number of thrillers, and riffing on ideas contained in them. It's not Heideggerian ontology for Chrissakes.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

There's no excuse for running out of ideas. These people are being very handsomely compensated to come up with ideas. Hell, if you want new ideas, one way of getting them is by reading a huge number of thrillers, and riffing on ideas contained in them. It's not Heideggerian ontology for Chrissakes.
    I couldn't agree more.
    I think, what we should try to achieve is NOT jumping on critical conclusions based on something another member brings out based on his own ideas and assumptions and nothing more like in the last two posts for example. Sorry but that is not a fair way of dealing with a situation.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,185
    StanKobra wrote: »

To me, it sounds like they are focusing on quality rather then quantity and rightly so.

I agree, the movie landscape today is very different. You have a battle of the franchises, everyone tries to make a 'multiverse' now. From Star Wars, to Harry Potter to Marvel, with one or more movies per year. The marked is oversaturated and if you want people to come see your movie, you have to be on top of your game, have the best people on the team etc.
    At the same time the ticket prices are so high and the box office for a single movie can be so astronomical that there isn't even any need to churn out movies every 2 years.

They want Bond to be an event, and make people want it more by making them wait.
    As a fan it annoys me, sure, but they could compensate me by finally giving me a top notch gaming series like the arkham games in the Bond universe, that i have been waiting on for years
    I think it's incredible how in the 60s they where making bond movies every year, before moving pretty much to a 2 year intervals up to LTK. For the most part these films where high quality. Even The return in the 90s had them 2 years apart. Now other franchises have one two films a year, where bond seems to take a great effort to get the next one made. I can see a time when the franchise stops making them and will all be saying when will the next bond film be out? I can see a 10 year plus rate between films coming!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    MGM makes so much more money off everything else not Bond ....umm NOT!! Wait til they get their earnings of just all that non Bond crap they produce. Hot Tub 3 or whatever...

I have said this before I hate Bond being tied to MGM ...Harry screwed Cubby and us selling his part to an unstable studio. Always scared if MGM folds again.

If Bond was free as a bird ....or Indy then every studio would want him.

This is not good at all. We have NO guarantee now.. they couldn't find a new partner. Just my guess. Not worth it ...too expensive not enough return. Thanks EoN for assembling the wrong team and giving us SP.

Had SP had greater appeal and been better then would've hit 1B ...yea price would've gone up but so too would've desirability.

Or other way if EoN didn't produce such an inefficient film ...ie that explosion then maybe better deal to finance.

Stupid stupid stupid
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre was great. not this overreacting crying again. 8-|
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 2,115
    //I have said this before I hate Bond being tied to MGM ...Harry screwed Cubby and us selling his part to an unstable studio. Always scared if MGM folds again.//

Saltzman sold to United Artists, the studio that released the first Bond movies. MGM didn't enter the picture until 1981 when it bought UA.

When Saltzman sold to UA, it was a solid operation. Then, a few years later, the executives who made UA what it was left and a new regime took over.

UA was still in solid shape until Heaven's Gate. At that point, Transamerica Corp., the insurance conglomerate, decided to get out of the movie business.

But here's the thing: that original UA management team (the group that was in control when Dr. No was released) had its own Heaven's Gate -- 1965's The Greatest Story Ever Told. A huge money put. But UA had Bond at its peak plus The Beatles movies and got by.

All of this is saying things were considerably more complicated than "Harry screwed Cubby and us." Life usually is complicated.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited March 2016 Posts: 7,314
    I just hate this idea of having the "3 to 4 years" being set in stone. Why limit yourself? Every once in a while it might be possible to get a new film out in two years time. I suppose we will have to wait until there is a new actor and director on board that won't insist on taking such long breaks.
  • The thing is, Eon doesn't really want to put out Bond films more often than a three-year schedule, either. In recent months, they've gotten involved in a television show. Presumably, they still want to put out their Edward Snowden movie. The promotional materials for one of their plays indicated they're interested in remaking Curse of the Demon/Night of the Demon (title varies, according to country).

Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are, respectively, the daughter and stepson of Albert R. Broccoli. But in terms of interests, they're more like Harry Saltzman, who has a taste for doing non-Bond projects while the 007 juggernaut was under way. The hiatus between Bond films is a chance for them to pursue those interests.
    Of the four Craig films, there was only ONE delay due to their wish to get Mendes. ALL other delays were not their fault.

Stop moaning everybody. This is getting ridiculous amd childish.
    This thread in a nutshell.
    AA021327-group-of-babies-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=cpmn2pLvwpiZXtxRmlpMHiyqSi7E36bIYtgBJaJD1119XN3QBpRgFKit%2F6sFpFTDNIjv8U3hDjc1RZBZXxWtNA%3D%3D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If EON is pissing you off, don't see their movies.

;))
    chrisisall wrote: »

;))

Agreed. This sense of grand entitlement some fans have is just irritating. Sorry Michael and Barbara didn't give you the movie you wanted but many of us liked the film and enjoyed it greatly. Didn't like what they did to Blofeld? fine. Go weep about it in the confessional. But to say EoN is doing a terrible job is just bull$#!* The movie industry is a tough one to work in and plenty of setbacks can happen. There's going to be a movie we don't like every now and then but even I don't call for their heads when things go awry. Be thankful they keep making Bond films for us.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Murdock wrote: »

;))

Agreed. This sense of grand entitlement some fans have is just irritating. Sorry Michael and Barbara didn't give you the movie you wanted but many of us liked the film and enjoyed it greatly. Didn't like what they did to Blofeld? fine. Go weep about it in the confessional. But to say EoN is doing a terrible job is just bull$#!* The movie industry is a tough one to work in and plenty of setbacks can happen. There's going to be a movie we don't like every now and then but even I don't call for their heads when things go awry. Be thankful they keep making Bond films for us.

One of the best and most reasonable comments i've seen here in a while
    =D>
    some people here seem very entitled and overly negative.

Does anyone here think we might get a Bond TV series in the next years? since TV seems to be getting bigger and bigger.
    Maybe a Young Bond adaption, anyone might be into that?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

;))

So it's ok for you to keep preaching how good you thought SP was and how we should be eternally grateful to EON for trousering all our cash but those of us who thought it wasn't up to scratch shouldn't be allowed to voice that opinion?

I must have missed the EON putsch that seized power and instigated these curbs on free speech.

;))

So it's ok for you to keep preaching how good you thought SP was and how we should be eternally grateful to EON for trousering all our cash but those of us who thought it wasn't up to scratch shouldn't be allowed to voice that opinion?

I must have missed the EON putsch that seized power and instigated these curbs on free speech.
    Did I say that? I sure didn't see it in my quote. And I sure didn't say you can't preach about how much you didn't like SP, I'm sure there is a thread for it somewhere in here. But the last time I checked this was the Bond 25 production timeline thread not "Spectre hurt me and I didn't like it." Thread.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

;))

Did I say that? I sure didn't see it in my quote. And I sure didn't say you can't preach about how much you didn't like SP, I'm sure there is a thread for it somewhere in here. But the last time I checked this was the Bond 25 production timeline thread not "Spectre hurt me and I didn't like it." Thread.

And what have your previous three posts got to do with the production timeline?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

It seemed like an attempt to re-rail the thread to me.
    :)>-
    Thanks for apologizing ...but forget EoN and SP for a bit. MGM through whatever means or legal structure owns part of Bond. And THATS my point.

Angry baby or not ..I'm not too happy with MGM owning half my lollipop.

But some many are always so wise and equally condescending.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Thanks for apologizing ...but forget EoN and SP for a bit. MGM through whatever means or legal structure owns part of Bond. And THATS my point.

And angry baby or not ..I'm not too happy with MGM owning half my lollipop.

But so many are always so wise and equally condescending.

That's it exactly. Trimming away the fat and BS.
    edited March 2016 Posts: 4,116

That's it exactly. Trimming away the fat and BS.

Regardless opinion of SP the performance and reception of the film does impact the production of B25. Grant it B25 has 22 other films backing it.

We're right on target. The status of 25 based on studio and distribution is spot on. And the only news we got.

Just bothers me that seems from the outside finding a new distributor is proving harder than hoped.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I hate to admit it but sounds like you're right. Bond has overcome many obstacles over the last 50 odd years but since the last 3 flicks, the series just feels so uneven and wish-washy in its management and there just doesn't seem to be that focused sense of direction and confidence. As absurd as it may sound nd I may get blasted for this but I kind of feel as though Bond feels like it's run its course. I'm sure that this won't be the case for years to come but it sort of feels like that's what we're approaching.
    There's always ideas to be had. It's time to start digging into the Gardener Books and other Continuation novels for ideas and give them the Fleming touch.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    There's always ideas to be had. It's time to start digging into the Gardener Books and other Continuation novels for ideas and give them the Fleming touch.
    There's also still plenty of Fleming source material left.
    jake24 wrote: »
    There's also still plenty of Fleming source material left.

But of course but there's no harm in combining elements too. The Colonel Sun stuff in Spectre was great. I want to see more of that with Bond 25. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I agree but EoN have been sitting on a goldmine of so much great material but for whatever reason they won't touch it. Instead we get crappy double agent/inside mole, thos time its personal scenarios. EoN sometimes act like they don't have any source material to mine from. Wtf are they waiting for?