Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Hm, but remember These fans of his are, so far, just fans of an actor, that appeals to them for one reason or another, als they all do. but I seriously doubt this be enough for Bond. But maybe Time
    Will Tell otherwise.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Hm, but remember These fans of his are, so far, just fans of an actor, that appeals to them for one reason or another, als they all do. but I seriously doubt this be enough for Bond. But maybe Time

Did you even know who Craig was before CR? and when pictures like...

tumblr_mfndo2Rgyp1rjchv3o1_1280.jpg

...were being circulated did you genuinely believe this was Bond material or at the very least see why people thought such a person who weren't all that familiar with him believed him to be absolutely wrong for the role?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Hiddle will be able to appeal to crowds that want a little more exuberance from their Bond imho

Thing is, he didnt Look like that anymore, when he WAS Bond, so we dont know, how even Layer Cake DC would have done. Maybe he would have Goten away with it back then. Folks were used to Brosnan and there werent all that many ripped action heroes like today. Blame it on DC. He was one of the first more serious actors, who putz on muscle.
    And I am answering to the fact, that those advocating here for him feel, he is right the way he is NOW.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well, that's one way to make a statement. Like a cat with a hot foot he knows how to move.
    Not sure, I totally get your meaning, but its all just logic.

Anyway, was good fun.
  • The general audience will stop demanding a 'ripped' Bond. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. All trends in Hollywood end one day or later.

I disagree. The days of a non-tough Bond are over for a stretch., Most people now associate Bond with being tough again, thank god, it took twenty years to get the suave but soft, campy and comedic Moore out of the way, in my opinion.
  • RC7RC7
    The general audience will stop demanding a 'ripped' Bond. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. All trends in Hollywood end one day or later.

I disagree. The days of a non-tough Bond are over for a stretch., Most people now associate Bond with being tough again, thank god, it took twenty years to get the suave but soft, campy and comedic Moore out of the way, in my opinion.

Tough doesn't = ripped. You can be suave, yet deadly, without looking like you've been hanging out with your 'bros' down the gym.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    The general audience will stop demanding a 'ripped' Bond. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. All trends in Hollywood end one day or later.

There's nothing to agree or disagree with. I wasn't stating my opinion on whether I want tough Bond or comical Bond. The point is Hollywood goes through trends. You, me, or anyone may not like it but it won't change the fact that in X amount of years the general audience will want something else. 'Something else' doesn't mean DAD 2 or MR 2 but it is foolish to think that the masses will demand CR's and SF's until the end of time. It's all a matter of trends in Holywood.
  • If you're a script agent, you should be in shape. If you're a soft, aged, suave, not very physical Bond you should not be. I prefer an in-shape Bond.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Hiddy is in shape ...and apparently reads nude.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    John Gavin took the massive step and said "yes!" to playing the role. Good fortune intervened in the shape of a big pay offer for Sean Connery and we avoided an American playing James Bond! From what I understand, every other American/Canadian actor to be approached/offered the role said "no, Bond should be British."

It's possible the actors felt intimidated by the idea of playing Bond or feared the potential criticism of a foreigner playing Britain's favourite secret agent. My gut feeling is many established American/Canadian actors would be concerned about the negative reaction they'd get. We live in the internet era so Gosling would get major criticism from the British press and from British people, I reckon.

If Americans don't care that much if Batman is played by a Welshman like Christian Bale, or Superman is played by Henry Cavill, fair enough, but James Bond is Great Britain's only true film hero (let's not mention Harry Potter!) ;) and it would be a great shame to see the role played by an American or Canadian. I reckon the vast majority of British people would share that opinion.

No doubt there would be tons of negative stuff in both press and especially internet about Bond being non-British. But whoever is cast there will be people complaining about something. And remember the last time? It was pretty brutal, but most people came around. Ultimately how a Bond actor is seen depends on how whoever the actor is delivers in the role.

Oh and regardless of the media insisting on repeating their error, Christian Bale isn't a Welshman, but an Englishman. Which of course doesn't change the point you're making, which I partly agree with, but I still think many other things matter far more than where a Bond actor is from, and I don't see why Bond should necessarily be British by birth or nationality.
    RC7 wrote: »

Tough doesn't = ripped. You can be suave, yet deadly, without looking like you've been hanging out with your 'bros' down the gym.

Yes. Tough is a completely different thing than being ripped. Not only can one be tough without being ripped, but one can also be be ripped and fail to be tough.

Looking fit and being in shape is essential, but that doesn't require being ripped. Too ripped is not even a good thing as far as I'm concerned, quite the contrary, in fact.

And Hiddleston seems fit. Got moves, too. :))
    Not watched The Night Manager yet, but from what i hear i think i am going to like it alot?
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 709
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hiddle will be able to appeal to crowds that want a little more exuberance from their Bond imho

For f***'s sake. People want THIS as Ian Fleming's James Bond? Along with that ridiculous Comic-con video posted on here a while ago, this stuff is utterly undignified and embarrassing, IMHO. He simply doesn't come across as Masculine, and I don't mean in a putting on muscle kind of way, I mean that animalstic, innate machismo that you either have or you don't. Connery would snap this guy in half like a twig. Good actor? Good for him. Go do some Shakespeare and win an Oscar. Doesn't mean you're James Bond.
    Does everyone know that Hiddleston auditioned for Thor? The actual role of Thor? And didn't get it, of course, but they offered him the role of Thor's weaselly, mincing, scheming brother. What does that tell you? Not. Bond. He'd be great for a Johnny Weir biopic or The Seth Meyers Story though.
  • RC7RC7
    dinovelvet wrote: »

For f***'s sake. People want THIS as Ian Fleming's James Bond? Along with that ridiculous Comic-con video posted on here a while ago, this stuff is utterly undignified and embarrassing, IMHO. He simply doesn't come across as Masculine, and I don't mean in a putting on muscle kind of way, I mean that animalstic, innate machismo that you either have or you don't. Connery would snap this guy in half like a twig. Good actor? Good for him. Go do some Shakespeare and win an Oscar. Doesn't mean you're James Bond.
    Does everyone know that Hiddleston auditioned for Thor? The actual role of Thor? And didn't get it, of course, but they offered him the role of Thor's weaselly, mincing, scheming brother. What does that tell you? Not. Bond. He'd be great for a Johnny Weir biopic or The Seth Meyers Story though.

Don't tell me, your other half came home with a Hiddleston calendar?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

So you don't like him then?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Not everyone can do accents - some don't even try: see Connery

@Tuulia Are you sure about that? I'm not a native English speaker, but I have a good ear, and I think while Connery does sound Scottish in Bond films, he did try to soften his accent a bit. His Scottish accent is more obvious in his interviews. For example, here:

• edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    All this back and forth about what it takes to be a Bond reminds me of a terrific hour long interview that Charlie Rose did when SP opened in the US. The first half hour was with Craig and Mendes, and then just Mendes alone for the second half hour.

Mendes made 2 very astute comments about Bond. He noted that virtually everyone has seen a Bond film and all of them have an opinion, unlike any other franchise. The second comment relates to this thread. When talking about Craig who was not present, Mendes said there were very few genuinely masculine actors. The implication was that the good actors can "act" masculine, act swagger etc, but they are just acting. He's right. The dangers occur when the actor has to do 3,000 interviews and that's when the problems start, along with the endless reverb online. I'm not talking about Connery stupidly discussing slapping women around, or Craig's less damaging, but also still stupid wrist slashing remarks. Press and TV Interviews are dangerous. I have watched countless actors just crash and burn when left to their own mostly unscripted wits, or at least greatly disappoint.

Masculine is a tough word to really define, particular in a person skilled at acting that quality.. But in terms of seeing it in a potential Bond actor's persona, I think I can detect when it is innate. There is a certain intimidation factor that actor will have, not thuggishness, just a don't mess with me quality, a certain I don't give a s*%* if you like me or not quality. Most actors, like puppies, want you to love them.

Hiddleston is a talented actor. He will likely never say something really dumb like Connery and Craig have, as he has flawless manners, and he really, really wants you to like him.. He can win every online vote there is. teen age girls love non threatening guys like him. I hate to dump on him, because he is a very good actor who I'm sure is wonderful to his mum, but he is now actively going after Bond. He is asking for the scrutiny, so he's getting it.
  • Hiddleston doesn't do anything for me. Sure, he's "cute", but I don't think he's right for Bond.
    I know there's LOTS of females who are crazy about him, but it seems that they're the (much) younger generation- preteens and teenagers who love him as Loki. And that's definitely not the target audience for Bond. Sure, it might be smart for a marketing POV to get a bunch of teeny-boppers into the franchise, but that should NOT be the priority.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I know brutish but I still like Hardy. However I would be happy with Loki too.

Maybe we can find someone in the middle.
  • smitty wrote: »
    All this back and forth about what it takes to be a Bond reminds me of a terrific hour long interview that Charlie Rose did when SP opened in the US. The first half hour was with Craig and Mendes, and then just Mendes alone for the second half hour.

Mendes made 2 very astute comments about Bond. He noted that virtually everyone has seen a Bond film and all of them have an opinion, unlike any other franchise. The second comment relates to this thread. When talking about Craig who was not present, Mendes said there were very few genuinely masculine actors. The implication was that the good actors can "act" masculine, act swagger etc, but they are just acting. He's right. The dangers occur when the actor has to do 3,000 interviews and that's when the problems start, along with the endless reverb online. I'm not talking about Connery stupidly discussing slapping women around, or Craig's less damaging, but also still stupid wrist slashing remarks. Press and TV Interviews are dangerous. I have watched countless actors just crash and burn when left to their own mostly unscripted wits, or at least greatly disappoint.

Masculine is a tough word to really define, particular in a person skilled at acting that quality.. But in terms of seeing it in a potential Bond actor's persona, I think I can detect when it is innate. There is a certain intimidation factor that actor will have, not thuggishness, just a don't mess with me quality, a certain I don't give a s*%* if you like me or not quality. Most actors, like puppies, want you to love them.

Hiddleston is a talented actor. He will likely never say something really dumb like Connery and Craig have, as he has flawless manners, and he really, really wants you to like him.. He can win every online vote there is. teen age girls love non threatening guys like him. I hate to dump on him, because he is a very good actor who I'm sure is wonderful to his mum, but he is now actively going after Bond. He is asking for the scrutiny, so he's getting it.

So then why could Roger and Pierce not project tough? Suave, no problem. I dunno about tough.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,081
    I read that article linked earlier about cost of drama schools and better opportunities for the wealthy. It's unfortunate, yes, and everyone will never have the same opportunities financially (or getting contacts early on when starting out) to help them along, no matter what they want to do for a living. Unlike with many other professions, though, getting formal education is not necessary for actors. Of course it would be ideal if all who wanted wouldn't be denied education possibilities - for acting or otherwise - just for the lack of money. I'm glad that Dench at least acknowledged that attending drama school is not necessary. I've often wondered what the benefits or possible negative effects might be. People are different, so maybe for some people formal education is useful and for some not, people can learn useful stuff, or learn stuff they'd be better off not having been taught, but it's probably impossible to really tell since people either got the formal education or not. Are actors, writers, painters, and other artists who formally studied their art better at it, or possibly lose some of their own instincts and individuality via learned tricks or formulas they can fall back on? Comparing different people doesn't really help answer that, and like I said it's impossible to know how any individual would be like without the background they had. It's an interesting issue, though, even if there are no answers to those questions.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I know brutish but I still like Hardy. However I would be happy with Loki too.

Maybe we can find someone in the middle.

I don't agree about Hardy being brutish at all. I'm really confused by some people saying that.
    smitty wrote: »

So then why could Roger and Pierce not project tough? Suave, no problem. I dunno about tough.

I'd agree. Suave yes, tough, not really.

• Clive Standen, who's been mentioned once or twice in this thread, is the new Liam Neeson apparently.

darkhorizons.com/news/41505/clive-standen-to-lead-nbc-s-taken

It will be interesting to see how Standen fares in a spy role as opposed to the historical swordy stuff he's best known for. However, at 34, if this is a success and runs for a number of years I guess that rules him out. Likewise if it flops which IMO is likely.
  • RC7 wrote: »

She likes men, so, no.

No, I don't hate Hiddleston. I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what Bond's got. (Or something).
    smitty wrote: »

Good stuff, smitty. Let's not forget, Bond is not just any other blockbuster role, especially in Britain; whoever plays Bond is going to represent British masculinity for the next decade. Craig turned out to be a brilliant choice because he brought a certain rough and tumble working class aspect to Bond while still projecting a sophisticated veneer. He made Bond more relatable to a wider audience. That's why none of the high-cheekboned effeminate public schoolboy toff types like Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, Redmayne (don't know if anyone has actually suggested him, wouldn't be surprised) are going to work for the audience that Daniel Craig has built up. There's no hint of danger or brutality lurking underneath.
    Anyway, I don't think he's actively going after Bond. Anyone with half a clue who wants to be Bond is not going to go around doing interviews in which they say how much they'd like to be Bond. His people are just using Bond to drum up interest in his spy show.
    Clive Standen, who's been mentioned once or twice in this thread, is the new Liam Neeson apparently.

darkhorizons.com/news/41505/clive-standen-to-lead-nbc-s-taken

It will be interesting to see how Standen fares in a spy role as opposed to the historical swordy stuff he's best known for. However, at 34, if this is a success and runs for a number of years I guess that rules him out. Likewise if it flops which IMO is likely.

Yeah I think I was the first to mention him! Looks like someone has picked up on his action/spy potential. I'll watch it. I assume when it airs we'll get some Daily Mirror "Standen as Bond?" articles!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Craig turned out to be a brilliant choice because he brought a certain rough and tumble working class aspect to Bond while still projecting a sophisticated veneer. He made Bond more relatable to a wider audience. That's why none of the high-cheekboned effeminate public schoolboy toff types like Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, Redmayne (don't know if anyone has actually suggested him, wouldn't be surprised) are going to work for the audience that Daniel Craig has built up. There's no hint of danger or brutality lurking underneath..

The major problem with this is that Daniel Craig's candidacy as Bond would have been laughed at and attacked with the same arguments you say about Hiddleston or whoever
    back in 2000/2001 (since we are still years away from casting Bond 7 if Craig does Bond 25). You have to realize all these arguments about masculinity and 'looking like Bond' would have been made against Craig by the very same fans who want more Craig in 2016.

The truth is, if this thread existed 15 years ago, no-one would take Craig's candidacy even remotely seriously. So, who know how Hiddleston or Stevens will look like circa 2021?
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »

She likes men, so, no.

No, I don't hate Hiddleston. I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what Bond's got. (Or something).

350x700px-LL-5fcec43e_Vic_Bob_Handbags.jpeg
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    Im looking forward to "The Night Manager" should be Tom Hiddleston's audition for Bond after seeing Aiden Turner in And Then There Were None doing his Bond audition be good to compare the two.

My thoughts are if in the next reboot they take Bond back to the 50's/60's when Spy's were of more relevance then for me Aiden Turner.

If they want to keep going forward Hiddleston.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hiddleston's physique is fine.

high-rise1-570x855.jpg

This is how I picture Bond's physique to roughly be in the novels. Obviously this being the 21st century and a degree of realism being a requirement and for physical admiration and sex appeal, the above physique is fine and even then for the sake of competing with the stars quo of how men should look in Hollywood, he'd only need a matter of a few weeks in tge gym for a bit more superficial definition, although it's not even needed. The above pic is perfectly acceptable for Bond's physique post Craig and just in general.

Brosnan on the other hand was too scrawny in GE and it didn't help that he had no real physical presence to intimidate. His latter films showed that there was nothing interesting or appealing about his body; no definition, no tone, no nothing except being a hairy dude with a bit if a gut by the time DAD rolled around.

Seeing a near naked picture of Hiddleston in the bath (or whatever that thing is!) isn't gonna convince me he's Bond material. I think the likes of Hiddleston only get media traction because of the lack of a stand-out candidate. I know some Bond fans think Brosnan was a lightweight milk tray kinda James Bond but he did stand out as the candidate back in the day.

Just my humble opinion - my guess is had the internet been around circa 1994 most forum users would suggest Brosnan as the overwhelming favourite candidate. People saw Brosnan and thought "hey, this guy really could be Bond!"

Hiddleston sitting in a bath? Nah! Pull the plug on his candidature!

:D