Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

dinovelvet wrote: »
    Craig turned out to be a brilliant choice because he brought a certain rough and tumble working class aspect to Bond while still projecting a sophisticated veneer. He made Bond more relatable to a wider audience. That's why none of the high-cheekboned effeminate public schoolboy toff types like Hiddleston, Cumberbatch, Redmayne (don't know if anyone has actually suggested him, wouldn't be surprised) are going to work for the audience that Daniel Craig has built up. There's no hint of danger or brutality lurking underneath..

The major problem with this is that Daniel Craig's candidacy as Bond would have been laughed at and attacked with the same arguments you say about Hiddleston or whoever
    back in 2000/2001 (since we are still years away from casting Bond 7 if Craig does Bond 25). You have to realize all these arguments about masculinity and 'looking like Bond' would have been made against Craig by the very same fans who want more Craig in 2016.

The truth is, if this thread existed 15 years ago, no-one would take Craig's candidacy even remotely seriously. So, who know how Hiddleston or Stevens will look like circa 2021?

And let's not forget that Daniel Craig back in the 1990s was an actor in an episode of ITV's Heartbeat. Who'd have thought he would be James Bond when watching that.
    The major problem with this is that Daniel Craig's candidacy as Bond would have been laughed at and attacked with the same arguments you say about Hiddleston or whoever
    back in 2000/2001 (since we are still years away from casting Bond 7 if Craig does Bond 25). You have to realize all these arguments about masculinity and 'looking like Bond' would have been made against Craig by the very same fans who want more Craig in 2016.

Fair point! We can all be a fickle lot or look at potential Bond actors in a superficial way. "He's too thin, too posh, too blue collar blah blah blah." But I feel gut reaction is the best way to cast James Bond. You see an actor, if you go "wow, this guy has major potential" it's better than seeing an actor and saying "yeah, he might be good if he loses/adds weight, acts tougher, wears lifts in his shoes etc!"

I guess gut reaction is the most honest reaction rather than trying to explain your reason in endless detail! I get the impression most fans, myself included, are still trying to find that 'gut reaction' candidate. I suspect Barbara Broccoli had a gut reaction to Daniel Craig.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't mind telling you I'm generally disappointed with the hate for Hiddle personally, being a new but avowed member of the 'Hiddlestoner' fan club. Comparisons to Brosnan in particular are deeply hurtful to me. Tom is an excellent actor who will be able to 'project' Bond quite easily in my view.

I think I may have to buy tomhiddlestonisnotbond.com and hold onto it. If he is selected, I might be able to sell it for a few quid/bucks, given the misguided (imho) vitriol by some members directed at this fine actor's physique and general capacity to be the world's greatest agent.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Hiddleston's physique is fine.

high-rise1-570x855.jpg

I want to read that magazine. NOW! :))

I see three possibilities for a future Bond:
    Tom Hiddleston (he can play anything and would rock as Bond)
    Dan Stevens (watch...anything...he is just perfect)
    Ed Skrein (watch Transporter Refueled and you know why)
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Graham Norton

Scroll forward to 1 min 20 seconds into this video. Please watch!

:D

Gotta love Graham Norton. Cheeky chap!

If Hiddles can toughen up - then who knows! Perhaps he could be the next James Bond (but don't hold your breath waiting!). ;))
    Come on chaps! Thor is not Bond. Thor doesn't need to look good in suits.

Hiddle makes minced meat out of Hemsworth just on sheer charisma alone.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Come on chaps! Thor is not Bond. Thor doesn't need to look good in suits.

Hiddle makes minced meat out of Hemsworth just on sheer charisma alone.

Damn right. He steals every scene he's in. He's also shows the dark side that he has.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I may have to check out those movies, despite my general lack of interest in superhero films.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    Some here are missing the point.
    Hiddleston would NEED to add bulk and strength to his frame merely to be able to cope with the demands of the role, post Daniel Craig.

Of course he doesn't need to look like Craig circa CR, but with his frame (Hiddleston) he would never anyway. An extra 5-6kg of lean muscle and the right haircut would do the trick fine. And trust me, with that bit extra on his 6'2" (1.88m) stature he would look superb for the role.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Yeah, but AceHole, you're doing what I mentioned in an earlier thread. You're finding reasons how/why Hiddles would be a good Bond. I think most Bond fans would rather see an actor and think "yep, this guy is Bond material!" from the outset rather than saying "if he bulks up, if he does this, does that!" It's like you're finding excuses for him to be a decent Bond.

If Hiddleston doesn't have the physique of James Bond why do we need to try and imagine him with the right physique? Same might be true of his looks or whatever. If an actor doesn't really shout out Bond then move on to another actor who might be closer to the right body shape, looks, blah blah blah. Just cos Hiddleston is a decent actor, right age group, perhaps has the right contacts in the biz, doesn't mean he's a natural for the part. Well, not in my humble opinion. Give me a handsome unknown actor (with suitable acting ability) over Mr Hiddleston! We must be firm but fair! :D
    Tom is closer to what Fleming envisaged:
    Fleming007impression.jpg

When Craig was cast, he didn't have the physique he had in CR. Many of us thought him unsuitable. When he bulked up and got a better haircut, he looked more the part.

I remember wondering what they were smoking when they selected Craig, because up to that time, the Brosnan/Dalton/Lazenby physique (6ft 1in or thereabouts, relatively slim and lithe but fit) was what we expected of Bond in the films. Craig has changed that, but I suggest to you that he is in fact the exception and not the rule. Hiddleston is closer to Fleming's vision of an English gentleman spy, and perhaps many viewers as well.
    191d32f414e7dd7781e6818c092dfe5a
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    AceHole wrote: »
    Some here are missing the point.
    Hiddleston would NEED to add bulk and strength to his frame merely to be able to cope with the demands of the role, post Daniel Craig.

Of course he doesn't need to look like Craig circa CR, but with his frame (Hiddleston) he would never anyway. An extra 5-6kg of lean muscle and the right haircut would do the trick fine. And trust me, with that bit extra on his 6'2" (1.88m) stature he would look superb for the role.

People dismissing Hiddleston so trivially make me laugh. People dismissed Matt Damon when he was cast as Bourne and the guy is now an iconic badass. Hiddleston right now is in decent shape and obviously in the role of Bond he'd have to physically prepare which is standard for most action movies anyway.

The funny thing is, I was the first person here to suggest Hiddleston as Bond a long while back and it got dismissed and now with the traction of support he's getting here and in the media I really hope he ends up getting it. The man has the talent and I'd really love to see his detractors do the inevitable 180 as is often the case.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Sorry for jumping on the not Hidelston Bond bandwagon but outside of being thin or rippped he doesn't screeam Bond to me.
    He doesn't look hot to me not even with all the almost nude pictures. He just st doesn't sell sex appeal to me, he is cute and very good actor but i just can't buy him as Bond.

edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    People said the same thing about Craig.

Yup.

Szonana wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping on the not Hidelston Bond bandwagon but outside of being thin or rippped he doesn't screeam Bond to me.
    He doesn't look hot to me not even with all the almost nude pictures. He just st doesn't sell sex appeal to me, he is cute and very good actor but i just can't buy him as Bond.

Sex appeal is something people will never agree on anyway. I've seen too little of Hiddleston to really even comment, but I do see charm, which is a very good start, and sort of is enough for the role for me - Moore was a very charming Bond, but, umm... He was charming though. Fine by me. ;) For comparison's sake, for instance Cavill to me is just totally bland, both in interviews an on screen, from what I've seen (admittedly little as well). Yet, I know some people (both women and men) think he's really attractive, but I just see bland.

As for "doesn't look hot to me not even with all the almost nude pictures" well, being nude doesn't make any actor hot in itself (to me anyway), nor hotter than they are otherwise. People may think differently about that, but that's how it is for me. I assumed the point of the nude pic was to show a fit enough body, not "show sex appeal", and in any case the former was what I got from it.
    In his defence, certain key elements and attributes are covered in that 'nude' photo.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    Tuulia wrote: »

Yup.

Szonana wrote: »

Sex appeal is something people will never agree on anyway. I've seen too little of Hiddleston to really even comment, but I do see charm, which is a very good start, and sort of is enough for the role for me - Moore was a very charming Bond, but, umm... He was charming though. Fine by me. ;) For comparison's sake, for instance Cavill to me is just totally bland, both in interviews an on screen, from what I've seen (admittedly little as well). Yet, I know some people (both women and men) think he's really attractive, but I just see bland.

As for "doesn't look hot to me not even with all the almost nude pictures" well, being nude doesn't make any actor hot in itself (to me anyway), nor hotter than they are otherwise. People may think differently about that, but that's how it is for me. I assumed the point of the nude pic was to show a fit enough body, not "show sex appeal", and in any case the former was what I got from it.

You are right sex appeal is hard to make everyone agree on it. You cna even proof this with the Past Bond actors i Find Pierce the sexiest but mNy around find him way too pretty boy. So its something very subjective.

And yes charming is a good start but charm without sex appeal still quite fails. The example to me is Roger Moore very charming and funny but i just don't buy him as a ladies man but we go back to problem number one where sex appeal is subjective so i guess i have to see more of him on screen to see if he wins me over but right now is a no.

And sorry for my misinterpretation fir the nude picks i thiught they were public here to make a point of him bieng attractive not fit but that was my mistake.

I don't mind not bieng completely fitt like Craig but he has too look manly
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Fleming007impression.jpg

When Craig was cast, he didn't have the physique he had in CR. Many of us thought him unsuitable. When he bulked up and got a better haircut, he looked more the part.

I remember wondering what they were smoking when they selected Craig, because up to that time, the Brosnan/Dalton/Lazenby physique (6ft 1in or thereabouts, relatively slim and lithe but fit) was what we expected of Bond in the films. Craig has changed that, but I suggest to you that he is in fact the exception and not the rule. Hiddleston is closer to Fleming's vision of an English gentleman spy, and perhaps many viewers as well.

"accept the drawing looks tough, and Tom does not.

No more soft, suave, can't fight Bonds!
  • RC7RC7
    Fleming007impression.jpg

"accept the drawing looks tough, and Tom does not.

No more soft, suave, can't fight Bonds!

You've obviously not seen him slam the shit out of Iron Man.

I think the next Bond will likely be a slimmer gentleman spy ladies man type who is great with a quip and relies more on gadgetry--someone like Tom Hiddleston....or maybe this guy:
    maxresdefault.jpg

I really think they'll go in the opposite direction of Craig with a return of more humor and gadgetry.
  • You mean the Brosnan/Moore days? I don't think the public would accept that.
    There's too much other competition from other spy franchises.
    The camp and comedy elements were not accepted in SP, and the film suffered critically for that.

The Bourne films shamed the Bros films into mimicking them, and the silly stuff would just be laughed at like it was when I saw it.
    And with Bourne about to take the genre to school again later this year, Bond of the Moore/Brozza mould ain't gonna happen any time soon.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,116
    In his defence, certain key elements and attributes are covered in that 'nude' photo.

Interesting but not my sort of bookmark..

mcdonbb wrote: »
    To be clear, not mine either, but the conversation had momentarily veered towards 'sexiness' of the photo rather than pure fitness, which was confusing. I think we're back on track now.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    To be clear, not mine either, but the conversation had momentarily veered towards 'sexiness' of the photo rather than pure fitness, which was confusing. I think we're back on track now.

It seems people are being bizarrely abrasive. It appears to me (and I'm assuming you and others) that he has the look, the physique, the acting chops, the ability to be switch from suave to menacing... not the finished article, but the raw ingredients.

The discussion seems to have veered due to people assuming he's 'soft', whatever the fuck that means, and we've ended up in a place where Hiddleston is apparently bringing a light, humorous edge, seemingly forgetting he's an actor.
    RC7 wrote: »
    we've ended up in a place where Hiddleston is apparently bringing a light, humorous edge, seemingly forgetting he's an actor.
    This is the key point for me. He is an actor, and a bloody good one as far as I'm concerned based on what I've seen - with range and edginess.

That's why, like Craig, I think he can step up if selected and deliver a decent Bond performance. His physical characteristics aren't all that relevant to me, unless he is an ogre or something, which he isn't (at least imho).
    The camp and comedy elements were not accepted in SP, and the film suffered critically for that.

Prove it please.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    we've ended up in a place where Hiddleston is apparently bringing a light, humorous edge, seemingly forgetting he's an actor.
    This is the key point for me. He is an actor, and a bloody good one as far as I'm concerned based on what I've seen - with range and edginess.

That's why, like Craig, I think he can step up if selected and deliver a decent Bond performance. His physical characteristics aren't all that relevant to me, unless he is an ogre or something, which he isn't (at least imho).

I agree. He's got that certain 'something'. Whether it's definitely right, who knows, but the ingredients are there I think.
  • josiah wrote: »

Prove it please.

64% @ RT.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Unfortunately, I've only seen him as Loki, and he annoyed the hell out of me. Speaking through a crazed smile the entire time. It was too "showy" a performance. Like I could see him acting.

However, he does come off better in THE NIGHT MANAGER trailer.

Does he scream Bond, like Craig did in LAYER CAKE? Not really. Not yet.

But, in the end, he's an actor, and it's his job to make us believe the movie-magic world, so i won't fully discount that he can't play a "version" of Bond.