Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    They should get Haggis back to polish up some dialogue as well. I know he went off the deep end when scripting QoS reportedly, but perhaps he could be kept in check. I think he came up with the Vesper/Bond CR intro. There's certainly a lot of flair in some of the conversations in that film (and also in SF to be honest) which I'd like to see again.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    They should get Haggis back to polish up some dialogue as well. I know he went off the deep end when scripting QoS reportedly, but perhaps he could be kept in check. I think he came up with the Vesper/Bond CR intro. There's certainly a lot of flair in some of the conversations in that film (and also in SF to be honest) which I'd like to see again.

Maybe a Haggis/Butterworth pair up would work best. Beats P&W.
    [-O<
    Agreed @Mendes4Lyte. That would be nice.

The problem I think is P&W are always the go-to guys to provide the meat on the bones as it were, and these other fellas are there to provide the condiments and seasoning (dialogue and what not).

It's almost like EON doesn't have someone who understands the world of Bond who can write the base story except for P&W.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Just caught up with episode one of The Night Manager. Tom Hiddleston is good but I can't see an actor who suggests to me he can carry a Bond film. He looks fine, but doesn't look to me like he has the big screen charisma.

Olivia Coleman as ever is in scene stealing mode.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    doubleoego wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Some here are missing the point.
    Hiddleston would NEED to add bulk and strength to his frame merely to be able to cope with the demands of the role, post Daniel Craig.

Of course he doesn't need to look like Craig circa CR, but with his frame (Hiddleston) he would never anyway. An extra 5-6kg of lean muscle and the right haircut would do the trick fine. And trust me, with that bit extra on his 6'2" (1.88m) stature he would look superb for the role.

People dismissing Hiddleston so trivially make me laugh. People dismissed Matt Damon when he was cast as Bourne and the guy is now an iconic badass. Hiddleston right now is in decent shape and obviously in the role of Bond he'd have to physically prepare which is standard for most action movies anyway.

The funny thing is, I was the first person here to suggest Hiddleston as Bond a long while back and it got dismissed and now with the traction of support he's getting here and in the media I really hope he ends up getting it. The man has the talent and I'd really love to see his detractors do the inevitable 180 as is often the case.

Did you 'quote' the wrong comment? Because nowhere in mine do I dismiss TH, far from it. He'd be an inspired choice post-DC.
    And EoN will go with another kind of lead man entirely to avoid the 'Craig MkII' comparisons.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Saw the second part of The Night Manager last night. Think Hiddleston could easily slip into the part of Bond (if he wanted it!) and would make a good Bond. Just need DC to make up his mind and see what's what.
  • I left comment in that other topic of considered actors, but I will say it again; I absolutly want Fassbender as Bond, he has good looks and that kind of masculine sexiness I want to see in Bond :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hiddleston would NEED to add bulk and strength to his frame merely to be able to cope with the demands of the role, post Daniel Craig.

Of course he doesn't need to look like Craig circa CR, but with his frame (Hiddleston) he would never anyway. An extra 5-6kg of lean muscle and the right haircut would do the trick fine. And trust me, with that bit extra on his 6'2" (1.88m) stature he would look superb for the role.

People dismissing Hiddleston so trivially make me laugh. People dismissed Matt Damon when he was cast as Bourne and the guy is now an iconic badass. Hiddleston right now is in decent shape and obviously in the role of Bond he'd have to physically prepare which is standard for most action movies anyway.

The funny thing is, I was the first person here to suggest Hiddleston as Bond a long while back and it got dismissed and now with the traction of support he's getting here and in the media I really hope he ends up getting it. The man has the talent and I'd really love to see his detractors do the inevitable 180 as is often the case.

Did you 'quote' the wrong comment? Because nowhere in mine do I dismiss TH, far from it. He'd be an inspired choice post-DC.
    And EoN will go with another kind of lead man entirely to avoid the 'Craig MkII' comparisons.

No, mate; I was hammering home your point.
  • smitty wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Thinking Moore is soft is nonsense. He'd have put anyone in here on their arse. That's why he's so flippant. The braggers are the bullshitters. He doesn't need to postulate, he's the man.

Agree. Moore was a very different Bond than Craig and also Connery, but he never ever was a soft Bond. He is an example of how they could go with a very different type of actor than Craig's intense, darker, gritty bond. But EON will never cast an actor like Hiddleston who in interviews comes off like a, soft, eager to please puppy who is about as macho as Barry Manilow.

Whether the next Bond film is lighter, darker, whatever the tone, an innate masculine nature is still going to be the most important single quality a Bond actor must project not just on film as good actors can fake anything, but in the millions of interviews a Bond actor must give. Hiddleston is simply the current flavor of the month because of the tv series. He's about #22 in the "he'd make a great Bond" click bait sweepstakes. In March, we'll get still another actor touted in the press as the positively, already signed, everybody wants him, next sure thing.

I think Roger helped the series after Lazenby proved so difficult to deal with, but I don't think the physical stuff was his strong suit, and there's just too much comedy in his films.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Not that this means a damn thing but I'm sure this will piss a number of people off...

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/02/28/hollywood-buzzing-that-idris-elba-will-take-over-iconic-james-bond-role/

"...But perhaps besides the Bond buzz on Oscar weekend, karma was on Elba’s side, too. At the exact time he entered a reception for this year’s British nominees at Fig & Olive as the night’s surprise guest, the Bond theme suddenly started booming on the audio system."
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The Idris Elba thing has become a running gag I think.

Needless to say, I will accept anyone BB will choose. I admit I was wrong about Craig. She was right, it's just sad, it took 4 movies to finally make him a 100% Bond.
  • I think Elba would make a fantastic Bond.
    At this point, for me, it's not even about my own preference as to who at some point will succeed Craig but just out of sheer curiosity I'm more interested in which casting direction EoN will go. Good or bad it's at least going to be very interesting.
  • I also like Tom hardy. I saw Mad Max again last night, and man he's great at playing a tough guy.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,152
    If I may be permitted to throw my hat into the ring, my vote goes to Aidan Turner. He is relatively unknown (who actually watched those Hobbit movies, am I right?), a very good age (32), tall, dark and handsome, the works. But most importantly he is a very good actor. He portrayed a headstrong independent bachelor with a dark past in 'And Then There Were None' over Christmas. His guy IS the fleming Bond, very similar to Dalton. EON should be able to snap up an actor like that, get him on a five picture contract and start cracking out mission-based Bond adventures for years to come. Assured success. \:D/ <:-P
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    If I may be permitted to throw my hat into the ring, my vote goes to Aidan Turner. He is relatively unknown (who actually watched those Hobbit movies, am I right?), a very good age (32), tall, dark and handsome, the works. But most importantly he is a very good actor. He portrayed a headstrong independent bachelor with a dark past in 'And Then There Were None' over Christmas. His guy IS the fleming Bond, very similar to Dalton. EON should be able to snap up an actor like that, get him on a five picture contract and start cracking out mission-based Bond adventures for years to come. Assured success. \:D/ <:-P

Yes! And bring Campbell back to give him a proper launch.
  • Campbell is really good Bond director.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,727

No, mate; I was hammering home your point.

Oh ok, I see. Use a larger hammer next time ;)

And yes, Damon similarly convinced because he immersed himself in the role - and he showed that menace/physical capability is not purely down to muscle or stature. TH has similar ability to transform himself into something far more edgy than we have seen so far.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited March 2016 Posts: 1,130
    What about a Younger Bond someone in his early 30s or late 20s

I was thinking of this because yesterday one of my friends came to watch the oscars with me and said Alicia Vikander could be a Bond girl but then the Next Bond should be younger like in his mid 20s to early 30s and addded the argument that he would last longer as Bond.

While mid 20s is too young I could probably open my self to early 30s. She made me think of the option i was reluctant to accept. A young Bond could be better for someone like Alicia but an actor in his 40s could handle a wider range in the actresses who could be his Bond girl.

Someone like Richard Madden could take Alicia Vikander, Lily Collins and Lily James as his Bond girls but Margot Robbie would look too old but a guy like Cavil or Charlie Hunnam can take any actress as his Bond girl he could even get Rosamund Pike again
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Media because they are so wise and so much more moral than the normal man is going to force Elba cast as Bond because it's the right thing to do.

Goodbye James
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Media because they are so wise and so much more moral than the normal man is going to force Elba cast as Bond because it's the right thing to do.

Goodbye James

yeah, I don't see a lot of actual Bond fans who want Elba. Mainly it's hipster types who watch Bond once a year at Christmas.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited March 2016 Posts: 5,131
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Goodbye James

yeah, I don't see a lot of actual Bond fans who want Elba. Mainly it's hipster types who watch Bond once a year at Christmas.

Yep. Or mainstreamers who think films like Jurassic World are the best films ever made.
    The Oscar buzz about Elba as the next Bond could be a strong hint Daniel Craig is not coming back to the role. Unless Craig confirms it before the end of 2016 we're gonna have loads more 'news/made-up rumour/no, honest, guv, it's fact!' items like this!
    What exactly was the Oscar buzz about him?

IMO its normal, speculation will make the circuit, as long as there is no statement.
    But the l
    Longer it lasts, the more people will ne convinced and somewhat rightly so, that Daniel is not coming back and might not like it anymore.

Its already at a point, where I really hope, he gets his arse out of the line of fire and leaves it all behind.
    Idris Elba's casting in sci-fi fantasy film The Dark Tower has upset fans of the books.

Elba plays Roland - apparently he looks nothing like the character. Roland is a white gunslinger:

Roland_Deschain_by_Michael_Whelan.png

Looks a bit like Dennis Quaid, perhaps?

Reaction:
    Idris Elba???

by old_school_boston » Sat Jan 30 2016 14:59:47
    Flag ▼ | Reply |
    IMDb member since September 2005
    I'm sure this has been hammered to death but wth? I love Iris Elba in just about everything he does but why change what the book says and shows? I don't think I could watch with him. It's just all wrong. I have no suggestion for who plays him, I've heard a bunch of good options over the years. I just don't understand why you would cast someone who is the complete opposite of what the character is which plays a huge part in the story? Would you cast Leo Caprio as Jim in Huck Finn?

Many similar comments on IMDB. I'm guessing this reaction will be repeated if Elba gets Bond.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Longer it lasts, the more people will ne convinced and somewhat rightly so, that Daniel is not coming back and might not like it anymore.
    Exactly right. I think after the negative comments he made last year (whether in jest or not) it's probably best if he came out sooner rather than later and made a statement either way. I have a feeling we will get a definitive answer on a couple of items including this by the end of this month. He's probably staying quiet out of deference and respect for EON, and wants them to make the announcement whether he is back or not. That is dependent on studio discussions.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Elba as Roland? Wouldn't really put him in that role, if that's true is Susannah going to be white now?! Part of the character dynamics for me was that Roland was caucasian and Susannah black.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    It is getting to be a rolling snowball, an official announcement, would help.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't believe in announcement this year.

As lazy as EON has become, they might just count the money in the bank that Spectre brought and is still bringing in in tons.

A fifth Craig Bond is likely to hit theaters in 2018.
    A new Bond will not happen before 2019.