Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

josiah wrote: »
    The camp and comedy elements were not accepted in SP, and the film suffered critically for that.

Prove it please.

64% @ RT.

Prove to me the majority of critics rank it lower than 3 out of 5 stars and prove that it was for the reasons you're claiming it was--strictly the inclusion of comedy and camp (and not Craig, the writers, or Mendes' handling of those elements).
  • I already did. It's a mediocre movie, and its tone is more campy and comedic than the previous film. I don't know how that's not clear watch the movie. It's just not as serious a film, and its tone hurt the film.
  • RC7RC7
    I already did. It's a mediocre movie, and its tone is more campy and comedic than the previous film. I don't know how that's not clear watch the movie. It's just not as serious a film, and its tone hurt the film.

Did you manage to reach the straws?
    I already did. It's a mediocre movie, and its tone is more campy and comedic than the previous film. I don't know how that's not clear watch the movie. It's just not as serious a film, and its tone hurt the film.

I wouldn't call certainty evidence. You seem to be having some difficulty separating the subjective from the objective.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    we've ended up in a place where Hiddleston is apparently bringing a light, humorous edge, seemingly forgetting he's an actor.
    This is the key point for me. He is an actor, and a bloody good one as far as I'm concerned based on what I've seen - with range and edginess.

That's why, like Craig, I think he can step up if selected and deliver a decent Bond performance. His physical characteristics aren't all that relevant to me, unless he is an ogre or something, which he isn't (at least imho).

I agree. He's got that certain 'something'. Whether it's definitely right, who knows, but the ingredients are there I think.

I didn't agree at first but now after greater exposure to his work I am tending to agree.

The whole discussion of being closer to Fleming makes me wish Dalton had had better vehicles that showcased his talent and a third film.
  • I don't know how it's not clear that SP is more of a comedic movie that's not rated as highly as SF by the critics.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Spectre is in no way "comedic." It has humor but humor doesn't equal out to comedy.
    There's plenty of other reasons critics ranked SP lower ....none of them funny
  • I agree the humor was not funny.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    The camp/comedy was not the problem with SPECTRE. How do we know if Hiddleston is 'soft'? Have he fought in any of his films?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He does give off an air of preciousness, but, in the end it's all about "acting"; can he act like a man who is supposed to kill for a living.
    I'm not convinced, but then again, I won't rule him out when (IF) he ever gets to play Bond.
    In the end, though, I wouldn't want to be the actor who picks up after Craig. He's superior in the role, has total command over it, and, as I've said in the past, he makes it look effortless (not lazy. Effortless; which is a trick of his trade (making hard work look easy!)).
    The problem for any actor who takes the role, is that acting the role is just 50% of the job, the rest is the endless promotion work before, after, and during every shoot, they have to do a ton of print press, tv, web, it's endless. I watched Hiddleston do some interviews. Not impressed. He's intelligent, pleasant , but he just comes off way, way too soft.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes because he needs to look like he wants to punch most press interviewers in the face and use swear words to conjunctionally string his sentences together.
  • peterpeter Toronto
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Yes, the next Bond actor will maybe be so refined, that we won't read or hear any swear words. Very polite, very gentlemanlike... :))

Some will call it "That's the way, it should be" others "plein boring"
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    we've ended up in a place where Hiddleston is apparently bringing a light, humorous edge, seemingly forgetting he's an actor.
    This is the key point for me. He is an actor, and a bloody good one as far as I'm concerned based on what I've seen - with range and edginess.

That's why, like Craig, I think he can step up if selected and deliver a decent Bond performance. His physical characteristics aren't all that relevant to me, unless he is an ogre or something, which he isn't (at least imho).

I agree. He's got that certain 'something'. Whether it's definitely right, who knows, but the ingredients are there I think.

I didn't agree at first but now after greater exposure to his work I am tending to agree.

The whole discussion of being closer to Fleming makes me wish Dalton had had better vehicles that showcased his talent and a third film.

Dalton's films were all better than anything Moore or Brosnan delivered though.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Dalton's films were all better than anything Moore or Brosnan delivered though.

I respectfully disagree ...for me Dalton was a great Bond wasted in two lackluster films.
    Fair play............for me Dalton was a great Bond in two good films (best of the 80's). Brosnan was an ok Bond wasted in one average and 3 lackluster films.
    Yes I've always been glad that Brosnan got to play his idol and happy his films brought Bond to the forefront and introduced to a new generation but the films were kind of a learning curve for the second gen EoN.

The third EoN gen is starting to emerge I believe.
    I'll agree with that, yes.
    Yes Gregg Wilson seems to be getting more in the spotlight.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, agreed, and this transition is scaring me to be honest. I hope for the best, but fear we will get a learning curve period again.

During that time, I'm pretty sure that EON will take the default position of 'predictable trope laden Bond' and SP was perhaps the first indication of this. I hope not.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, agreed, and this transition is scaring me to be honest. I hope for the best, but fear we will get a learning curve period again.

During that time, I'm pretty sure that EON will take the default position of 'predictable trope laden Bond' and SP was perhaps the first indication of this. I hope not.

SP had the love story from CR, the political intrigue from QoS and the focus on Bond's past from SF. It did feel a tad overladen in places, esp when M is lecturing about what a license to kill means. I remember when Bond films were just a series of thrilling adventures based on some pulp novels about a exciting secret agent. Now they're 2hr 30min meditations on age, love, evil, time, family, technology, government etc.

A growing part of me is hoping they recast and start afresh with a simple mission. As much as I love DC, I think we might have lost sight of what Bond is about, and keeping Craig will presumably mean staying on the current course. SPECTRE was a highly enjoyable send off for Craig, I hope that its mixed reaction with give EON a much needed shake.

SP had the love story from CR, the political intrigue from QoS and the focus on Bond's past from SF. It did feel a tad overladen in places, esp when M is lecturing about what a license to kill means. I remember when Bond films were just a series of thrilling adventures based on some pulp novels about a exciting secret agent. Now they're 2hr 30min meditations on age, love, evil, time, family, technology, government etc.

A growing part of me is hoping they recast and start afresh with a simple mission. As much as I love DC, I think we might have lost sight of what Bond is about, and keeping Craig will presumably mean staying on the current course. SPECTRE was a highly enjoyable send off for Craig, I hope that its mixed reaction with give EON a much needed shake.

Well said.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    If anything, Spectre was a roaring success on every level. I don't see how EON would want to change the formula now.

A new direction and/or actor could go horribly wrong (see LTK for example).

There should be another Craig Bond, where his age is implemented into the story. It should be somewhat in the style of Spectre, because Spectre broke several ticket sales records around the world (except the US of course) and put movies like Jurassic World and Avengers to shame in many important markets.

I don't see how Spectre could in anyway be considered not a success or even called a failure.

If Craig decides to quit, I hope they will continue with a true Bond movie, like Spectre is.
    No need for another "reboot" or melodramatic nonsense which was stupid the first time.

They should keep Tanner, Q, M and Moneypenny and bring back Jeffrey Wright as Leiter.
    It will work with a new Bond actor. And why not? It worked in the past.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I agree. No more reboots, unless it's a soft reboot a'la GE or TLD.

I only don't want the 'gang' to get more air time than in the past. Keep them to the start of the film and perhaps a little bit of involvement mid-film if required. The actor cast must have the charisma to carry the film on his own confidently and without having supporting characters hanging around to keep him going.

Let's leave that for the gang at 24 and MI.
    I'm warming to the idea of Tom Hiddleson after my several posts whining that there are no good Bond candidates...Tom might be my first choice.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hiddleston isn t the worst candidate to be bandied about here. I would give him a chance.
  • Hiddleston isn t the worst candidate to be bandied about here. I would give him a chance.[/quote

Tom Hardy. A tough guy. No more soft guys.
    Hiddleston isn t the worst candidate to be bandied about here. I would give him a chance.[/quote

Tom Hardy. A tough guy. No more soft guys.

Yea I prefer Hardy too. Good enough actor. I'm not anti Hiddy though... he would just be a harder sell.