Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It's all good natured speculation, something that provides a bit of interest in between films. The fact that Craig is four film deep into his tenure and his future is unsure adds to the guessing game.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    What does "being tipped" actually mean?
  • RC7RC7
    Sark wrote: »
    What does "being tipped" actually mean?

Usually that whoever has written the article thinks it should happen, or that someone else said it on da internet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Aka planting the seeds of bullshit.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Usually whenever an actor gets this amount of hype it ends up being a damp squib. Similar situation with Clive Owen back in '04-'05

Hiddleston definitely has the acting chops for it, and he is smooth as silk on screen. Vocally he's perfect for the role.
    Would need to add some muscle as I doubt EoN will go back to a Brosnan-style 'lightweight 007', as DC has upped the bar in terms of the physicality Bond needs to bring.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I like Hiddleston but I think Fassbender is such a better candidate. He has that dark edge. He could play a true Ian Fleming BOND. Hiddleston couldn't pull it off as well but he could do humour and "swagger" better.
    Yes, you're probably right, but I do like them both. Hiddleston seems like a younger Fassbender to me, but with a little less edge - his relative youth means we'll get more mileage out of him.
    AceHole wrote: »
    Usually whenever an actor gets this amount of hype it ends up being a damp squib. Similar situation with Clive Owen back in '04-'05
    Sadly, you're right, but Owen was screen tested I believe. So there is hope (at least from my perspective).
    AceHole wrote: »
    Would need to add some muscle as I doubt EoN will go back to a Brosnan-style 'lightweight 007', as DC has upped the bar in terms of the physicality Bond needs to bring.
    Yes, more muscle would be nice, but it's not difficult to do. James Bond doesn't need to look like Craig all the time. I'd actually prefer him to be little more lithe and fit better into the suits, rather than appear as if he is busting out of them. This doesn't have to be the Arnie show - that can be left to more generic Marvel action heroes.

If you're referring to acting lightweights, then yes, they made an error before, but Hiddleston has the chops as you say.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    smitty wrote: »
    suavejmf wrote: »
    I think Charlie Hunnam deserves a screen test.

I've thought Hunnan was an interesting choice for months. He is young, has strong acting experience, has the right level of mid level fame, is handsome when he cleans up, and has the very important quality of appearing steely which the next Bond better have as the choice will be hacked to pieces in the press and on the Net. Hiddleston is a good actor, a nice guy and smart, but I've seen him in interviews and gentle and thoughtful are the words I'd use to describe him. He's also a bit odd looking. Craig ain't so handsome either, but he is rugged looking in a way that serves Bond. EON may greatly change direction from Craig, but I doubt they will go Etonian with actors like Hiddleston and Lewis who are very similar types.

I agree with all of this.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bond is white ...so is Blofeld. Not too old though ...that's not the way out excuse for not casting him.

Lot of media hype pushing Elba down our throat.

I mean I really don't mean it racists at all. Casting for a part is different though.

If it's this relaxed I vote for Jackie Chan to be the new Shaft.

Colin Firth as Axel Foley.
    I don't know about Firth, but I'd take Sacha Baron Cohen as Foley. Seriously.
    Here is the plain and simple truth. At this moment in time there is no-one who is completely right for Bond. Lots of the names mentioned already would be OK but nothing more than OK. Hiddleston has charm and sophistication but not the toughness, Elba has the toughness but not the sophistication. Elba and Lewis are both already to old. Fassbender has somewhat dropped off the radar as far as Bond is concerned. Craig is still the only actor with the complete package and that's why EON and whoever their new studio partner is will try their best to get him back. Whether he wants to do it is another matter. Personally I hope he does.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    Hiddleston comes from a super-privileged background. Mega expensive boarding school, Oxford university and RADA. All that costs a packet. I doubt he's ever had much to struggle about. Not the case with Idris Elba. He started his career appearing on tv show Crimewatch.

Not as an actual real criminal, I might add.

;))

Besides, Hiddleston looks a bit too well... wimpy, I guess, for Bond. You need someone with some physical presence, surely? Not sure 'acting' alone will convey that.
  • RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Hiddleston comes from a super-privileged background. Mega expensive boarding school, Oxford university and RADA. All that costs a packet. I doubt he's ever had much to struggle about. Idris Elba starred his career appearing on tv show Crimewatch.

I've never understood the idea that being working class automatically pitches you as being more 'authentic' or deserving.
    No, but daddy can pay the 35,000 pounds a year fee and help BUY you a better education and or better contacts within the acting industry.

Judi Dench said the same thing:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/sep/13/judi-dench-actors-held-back-by-wealth-divide-drama-school
    Eddie Redmayne, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Laurence Fox … the ever-growing list of public school-educated actors dominating British film and television is often offered as proof that posh actors are squeezing out working-class talent. Acting, some fear, is increasingly the preserve of those with cut-glass accents whose parents can afford to bankroll them when starting out.

Further evidence of the struggles that those from more modest backgrounds face comes from Dame Judi Dench, who has told the Observer that she receives countless begging letters from aspiring young actors asking her to help fund their training.

The Oscar-winning actress said: "Anyone who's in the theatre gets letters countless times a week asking for help to get through drama school. You can do so much, but you can't do an endless thing. It is very expensive."

Actors like Boyega and Elba prove less financially advantaged people can make it but it would appear the odds are stacked against poorer people making it as an actor.

Did you know Daniel 'Harry Potter' Radcliffe's mother is a casting film agent. And wow - Daniel Radcliffe became Harry Potter. Amazing! I'm sure her mother's position in the film business had zero bearing on his chances getting the role.

:P
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Yeah, I'm not sure why Hiddleston's class should matter.
    It doesn't matter in terms of casting Bond. Sean Connery polished coffins, he became Bond. But I suppose once you find out that certain super privileged actors get certain roles (see the newspaper article I linked) then it makes you less inclined to want them to play Jame Bond. That's my honest opinion.

I'd rather some young, struggling actor became the next James Bond than some guy with parents backrolling him or being born into money and money giving you contacts within the film biz. Perhaps a struggling actor might be more hungry for the part. Hiddleston doesn't need the money from Bond, I'm sure of that!
  • RC7RC7
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    No, but daddy can pay the 35,000 pounds a year fee and help BUY you a better education and or better contacts within the acting industry.

Judi Dench said the same thing:

http://www.theguardian.com/stage/2014/sep/13/judi-dench-actors-held-back-by-wealth-divide-drama-school
    Eddie Redmayne, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hiddleston, Laurence Fox … the ever-growing list of public school-educated actors dominating British film and television is often offered as proof that posh actors are squeezing out working-class talent. Acting, some fear, is increasingly the preserve of those with cut-glass accents whose parents can afford to bankroll them when starting out.

Further evidence of the struggles that those from more modest backgrounds face comes from Dame Judi Dench, who has told the Observer that she receives countless begging letters from aspiring young actors asking her to help fund their training.

The Oscar-winning actress said: "Anyone who's in the theatre gets letters countless times a week asking for help to get through drama school. You can do so much, but you can't do an endless thing. It is very expensive."

Actors like Boyega and Elba prove less financially advantaged people can make it but it would appear the odds are stacked against poorer people making it as an actor.

Did you know Daniel 'Harry Potter' Radcliffe's mother is an casting film agent. And wow - Daniel Radcliffe became Harry Potter. Amazing! I'm sure her mother's position in the film business had zero bearing on his chances getting the role.

:P

What does any of that have to do with Hiddleston's very obvious screen presence and talent? Last time I looked they weren't available off the peg. Do you think Elba will have his kid grow up on a volatile council estate in East London with no financial support? What you're talking about is opportunity, which is a very different thing. One can postulate about the likes of Hiddleston and Cumberbatch all they want, but it doesn't change the fact they are simply taking full advantage of their situations and, let's be fair, making a damn good job of it.
    This rags to spy (as it were) story was actually recently told in Kingsman.

Sure, Connery naturally brought a certain blue collar working class persona to Bond which perhaps eluded Moore, but I don't think it should necessarily be a requirement. May the best man win, regardless of silver spoon.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    5W56Jql.jpg

ok now I really want to see Hiddleston in at least a fan poster for 007.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    suavejmf wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bond is white ...so is Blofeld. Not too old though ...that's not the way out excuse for not casting him.

Lot of media hype pushing Elba down our throat.

I mean I really don't mean it racists at all. Casting for a part is different though.

If it's this relaxed I vote for Jackie Chan to be the new Shaft.

Colin Firth as Axel Foley.

Firth is too old. C'mon be realistic lol. :P
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    Risico007 wrote: »
    5W56Jql.jpg

He's got the right physique for me. I don't understand this need some have to see 007 absolutely ripped. Bond is not a man who does six hours of weights a day. He keeps his physique in check through activities such as swimming, climbing, running and shagging. I love DC, but next time around I want someone who reflects the above. You don't have to be packing a Hunnam physique to put up a fight.
    RC7 wrote: »
    Risico007 wrote: »
    5W56Jql.jpg

He's got the right physique for me. I don't understand this need some have to see 007 absolutely ripped. Bond is not a man who does six hours of weights a day. He keeps his physique in check through activities such as swimming, climbing, running and shagging. I love DC, but next time around I want someone who reflects the above. You don't have to be packing a Hunnam physique to put up a fight.
    Agreed 100%
    I doubt tje general audience nowadays want their heroes like Hiddle is now. Too small...after all, Bond has become a proper action hero and be honest, I have read many here laugh about Brosnans body.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote: »
    I doubt tje general audience nowadays want their heroes like Hiddle is now. Too small...after all, Bond has become a proper action hero and be honest, I have read many here laugh about Brosnans body.

Bond isn't an action hero. He's an alcoholic, womaniser (nb. should be smoking) whose health and abilities defy his lifestyle. It's only because he's active in the field and a voracious lover that he stays trim. DC works in CR, they took a different approach and made him a wrecking ball, before attempting to smooth the edges. Next time around they should cast closer to the Fleming Bond. I don't agree the audience nowadays don't want someone akin to Hiddlestone.
    I would bet, 80 percent of Bond audiences wouldnt know, how Fleming wrote him.
    Plus uns girls and some Boys want some eye Candy. I dont See any with Hiddle. Dont underestimate that plus in recent years more and more of your average actor is ripped. You cant take NOW a Hiddle as he is and let him be Bond. My two...
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    I would bet, 80 percent of Bond audiences wouldnt know, how Fleming wrote him.

That's irrelevant. There's an authenticity in the DNA of the Fleming character and stories that has always been a huge part of the most revered films in the series. Whether people recognise it as such is immaterial.
    Plus uns girls and some Boys want some eye Candy. I dont See any with Hiddle. Dont underestimate that plus in recent years more and more of your average actor is ripped. You cant take NOW a Hiddle as he is and let him be Bond. My two...

I refer you to the term 'Hiddlestoner' - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hiddlestoner

"A devotee of the cult of Hiddles - someone who worships the glory that is Tom Hiddleston."

To suggest he is somehow bereft of appeal is pretty misguided.
    I think it depends on how the character is positioned and who the actor is. What they are going for.

In the case of DC, I think it was imperative that he was ripped. DC wouldn't have been credible as Bond upon introduction in his pre-CR physique (for example how he was when he was introduced as Bond in 2005 on the boat). Having said that, even he is far less built now than he was in CR.

I think Hiddleston will be able to'project Bond' better without the physique imho. He just needs to bulk up a little bit. That's all.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Hiddleston's physique is fine.

high-rise1-570x855.jpg

This is how I picture Bond's physique to roughly be in the novels. Obviously this being the 21st century and a degree of realism being a requirement and for physical admiration and sex appeal, the above physique is fine and even then for the sake of competing with the stars quo of how men should look in Hollywood, he'd only need a matter of a few weeks in tge gym for a bit more superficial definition, although it's not even needed. The above pic is perfectly acceptable for Bond's physique post Craig and just in general.

Brosnan on the other hand was too scrawny in GE and it didn't help that he had no real physical presence to intimidate. His latter films showed that there was nothing interesting or appealing about his body; no definition, no tone, no nothing except being a hairy dude with a bit if a gut by the time DAD rolled around.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The general audience will stop demanding a 'ripped' Bond. The question is not 'if', but 'when'. All trends in Hollywood end one day or later.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I refer you to the term 'Hiddlestoner' - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hiddlestoner

"A devotee of the cult of Hiddles - someone who worships the glory that is Tom Hiddleston."
    Heck I'm almost a Hiddlestoner, and I'm straight,