Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I actually think Gosling would be more fitting than Hiddleston.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Whomever they go with, he will look and act nothing like DC. EoN will not cast anyone who could be seen as Craig.2

I'm not totally convinced about either Hiddleston or Turner, tbh. The first has the acting chops & edgy charisma, but he does not come across as masculine enough in my opinion. The latter does have the appeal, but I'm not convinced about his ability, so far anyway. It'll probably end up being neither.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Mrcoggins wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    This is James Bond right here:

X-Men_First_Class_Michael_Fassbender_as_Erik_Lehnsherr_Magneto_in_Sean_Connery_James_Bond_From_Russia_With_Love_grey_suit.jpg

He won't be Bond his head is too big .

I don't remember Fleming, fastidious though he was, ever specifying 007's cranial circumference. Fassbender is now far too established to ever be considered for the part anyway.
    And I'm not sure he'd take it, he is such an 'actor's actor, if you know what I mean... he's more interested in becoming the next Brando than the next Bond.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Sark wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    That's because it was the night manager and not James Bond. Obviously.

Then perhaps you can explain why so many people thought that something was Bondian about his performance.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-22/twitter-really-wants-tom-hiddleston-to-play-the-next-james-bond

Being Bondian isn't the exact same thing as being Bond. It's all about varying degrees of subtleties where one can be Bond while not necessarily actually being Bond or playing an overtly Bond type character.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 709
    smitty wrote: »
    Twitter and the press want who ever the flavor of the week is to be the next Bond, providing they are good Net click bait. There have been about 20 definitely, positively, next in line, the best bet, EON's choice, Twitter loves him, already in negotiations, ready to take over because absolutely everyone wants him, actors salivating over the role. There will be plenty more. Every English (and some not so English) actor under 50, and their PR shills, think they should be the next Bond. There is a good SNL skit somewhere in this game.

Yes, spot on, Smitty. A British actor who doesn't have two heads is appearing in a spy-related project. So predictably, the lowest common denominator media starts stirring up the pot of Bond rumors, which is already bubbling because...gasp...Daniel Craig is acting in something else.

I'll give it 48 hours before the Sun/Mirror etc lets us all know that "a source says that Hiddleston's performance is said to have impressed movie bosses, who are already lining him up as the new James Bond!"

And yeah, good grief, let's ignore who twitter "wants" as Bond, because if we hire who or whatever twitter wants, then Bond is going to be some kind of seven-headed hydra played by Idris Elba, Benedict Cumberbatch, Luke Evans, Henry Cavill, Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, and now this latest flavor of the week.
    I actually think Gosling would be more fitting than Hiddleston.

I wouldn't mind Gosling at all. Will never happen, obviously, because of his nationality, but he's better than many bizarre candidates that have shown up on this thread just because they're British...
    The sad thing about this growing circus about the next Bond is that if it was left up to Twitter, it would be Justin Bieber. I wish I was joking.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think Ryan Gosling could make a good Bond, if he was British. Then again, he's Canadian. Lazenby & Hugh Jackman are Australian, I don't see how that's anymore "British" than a Canadian. Pierce Brosnan basically had an American accent at times."

You won't be getting hate from me for that. An interesting idea. I probably never would have thought of him, but now that you mentioned him... I could actually imagine him in the role. The problem I have with most younger guys that people have suggested is that I either haven't seen them in anything or have seen very little of them. Not so with Gosling. I have a pretty good idea of what he can do, having seen a dozed of his movies, and he's versatile. Can do charming, can do cold-blooded, can do vulnerable, can do humor. Talented and ambitious, a proper actor, a good age: 35. What's to hate about the idea? It's certainly a much better idea than people like, um, Cavill and whatnot.

An American/Canadian actor must be a last resort option! And their consideration must be subject to the actor delivering a credible British accent. If the likes of Gosling can't do a credible British accent (and they can't act British-like, more reserved etc) it's never going to work.

Henry Cavill has had some criticism of his American accent in his Hollywood films - his accent sounds a bit strange in The Man From Uncle. Gosling could suffer the same criticism if he tried to sound British.

It's doubtful the likes of John Gavin, Burt Reynolds, Adam West, Clint Eastwood, Robert Wagner (the list goes on and on!) would ever be credible as British secret agents. And an American James Bond would be too disrespectful to Ian Fleming's character. Burt Reynolds said his greatest regret was turning down James Bond. But I can't see him playing Bond with a British accent and an American Burt Reynolds replacing Connery or Lazenby? Can't see it ever happening!
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I think Charlie Hunnam deserves a screen test.
  • RC7RC7
    Charlie Hunnam looks like he dicks about on a surfboard all day, has 'lad bantz' and can't handle his booze beyond a couple of schooners. Not Bond material for me.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited February 2016 Posts: 5,131
    He's an actor, hence why I suggested a screen test. Bar Layer Cake, DC hardly 'screamed' Bond did he. Now he stands as the best 007 since Connery.
    Not sure this is the right thread for this - but I suppose it could tie in with what the next Bond actor should have...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3459242/John-Cleese-claims-Daniel-Craig-short-play-James-Bond.html#comments

Be thankful Mr Cleese is not casting the next Bond. Many actors would be short! I do know Basil Fawlty would have made a useless Bond, though.

:D
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think Ryan Gosling could make a good Bond, if he was British. Then again, he's Canadian. Lazenby & Hugh Jackman are Australian, I don't see how that's anymore "British" than a Canadian. Pierce Brosnan basically had an American accent at times."

You won't be getting hate from me for that. An interesting idea. I probably never would have thought of him, but now that you mentioned him... I could actually imagine him in the role. The problem I have with most younger guys that people have suggested is that I either haven't seen them in anything or have seen very little of them. Not so with Gosling. I have a pretty good idea of what he can do, having seen a dozed of his movies, and he's versatile. Can do charming, can do cold-blooded, can do vulnerable, can do humor. Talented and ambitious, a proper actor, a good age: 35. What's to hate about the idea? It's certainly a much better idea than people like, um, Cavill and whatnot.

An American/Canadian actor must be a last resort option! And their consideration must be subject to the actor delivering a credible British accent. If the likes of Gosling can't do a credible British accent (and they can't act British-like, more reserved etc) it's never going to work.

Henry Cavill has had some criticism of his American accent in his Hollywood films - his accent sounds a bit strange in The Man From Uncle. Gosling could suffer the same criticism if he tried to sound British.

It's doubtful the likes of John Gavin, Burt Reynolds, Adam West, Clint Eastwood, Robert Wagner (the list goes on and on!) would ever be credible as British secret agents. And an American James Bond would be too disrespectful to Ian Fleming's character. Burt Reynolds said his greatest regret was turning down James Bond. But I can't see him playing Bond with a British accent and an American Burt Reynolds replacing Connery or Lazenby? Can't see it ever happening!

I can't remember Gosling's ability with accents, so I'm not commenting on him specifically, but in general. I agree a good British accent is important, but I don't see why an actor's origins or nationality is. Apparently many British actors manage credible American accents, so I don't see why not the other way around. Not everyone can do accents - some don't even try: see Connery - but it depends on the actor. Acting "reserved" is not an issue for any proper actor (not sure "reserved" is the first thing that comes to mind from Bond, though).

suavejmf wrote: »
    I think Charlie Hunnam deserves a screen test.

I've thought Hunnan was an interesting choice for months. He is young, has strong acting experience, has the right level of mid level fame, is handsome when he cleans up, and has the very important quality of appearing steely which the next Bond better have as the choice will be hacked to pieces in the press and on the Net. Hiddleston is a good actor, a nice guy and smart, but I've seen him in interviews and gentle and thoughtful are the words I'd use to describe him. He's also a bit odd looking. Craig ain't so handsome either, but he is rugged looking in a way that serves Bond. EON may greatly change direction from Craig, but I doubt they will go Etonian with actors like Hiddleston and Lewis who are very similar types.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    smitty wrote: »
    EON may greatly change direction from Craig, but I doubt they will go Etonian with actors like Hiddleston and Lewis who are very similar types.
    You may be right, but I hope they do. I always liked the smoother, more refined types myself. That's something the competition cannot match when it comes to Bond. It's a differentiator of the character. Sets him apart imho.
    I think it will be tough as hell to get the next Bond right. So many forces pulling at EON and the poor guy who will have to deliver. The last 2 films made $2 billion. Talk about pressure. Maybe the safer approach is indeed for EON to really go outside the expected. I'd hate to have to make the choice. What a crap shoot.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 9,778
    Hiddleston is starting to remind me a lot of Brosnan in th sense that everyone and their brother wants him as 007 not sure if that is a good thing or not.

for bond actors it's been an intriguing back and forth post Connery (though Connery could be seen as an underdog in the likes of Craig and Dalton as people wanted David Niven to be 007 boy were they unhappy when they got it)

Lazenby Unkown underdog actor
    Roger Moore more popular actor
    Dalton Underdog actor
    Pierce Brosnan more popular actor
    Daniel Craig under dog actor
    perhaps Hiddleston would make sense as he follows the mold of Moore and Brosnan?

though to be bluntly honest if Craig were to leave now just to finish up the spectre Blofeld storyline I would take Liam Neeson as 007 in one film and be fine with it...
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender

Fair points. But Gosling could pass as a British spy. Also, Canadian isn't really American, Canada used to be a British colony and to this day still has ties to it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think there's one thing on which we can agree, there is no one actor who is going to appeal to us all and had the internet been around in the early 60's, many would have been against the casting of Sean as 007.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think Ryan Gosling could make a good Bond, if he was British. Then again, he's Canadian. Lazenby & Hugh Jackman are Australian, I don't see how that's anymore "British" than a Canadian. Pierce Brosnan basically had an American accent at times.

When the Canadian FYEO project was announced, and Ryan Reynolds was mentioned, I actually did think of that other Ryan as a better option, but never mentioned it as he is not quite Bond material either. But miles and miles better than Reynolds.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    what about Sam Huntington?
    John Gavin took the massive step and said "yes!" to playing the role. Good fortune intervened in the shape of a big pay offer for Sean Connery and we avoided an American playing James Bond! From what I understand, every other American/Canadian actor to be approached/offered the role said "no, Bond should be British."

It's possible the actors felt intimidated by the idea of playing Bond or feared the potential criticism of a foreigner playing Britain's favourite secret agent. My gut feeling is many established American/Canadian actors would be concerned about the negative reaction they'd get. We live in the internet era so Gosling would get major criticism from the British press and from British people, I reckon.

If Americans don't care that much if Batman is played by a Welshman like Christian Bale, or Superman is played by Henry Cavill, fair enough, but James Bond is Great Britain's only true film hero (let's not mention Harry Potter!) ;) and it would be a great shame to see the role played by an American or Canadian. I reckon the vast majority of British people would share that opinion.
  • I'm one of the biggest Gosling fans on the planet but I absolutely think he'd be a terrible choice.

Five years ago I'd want Fassbender. Still do in a way. He's such a great actor he would nail it.

Luke Evans I still would like for the part. I'm sure we will end up getting someone none of us has mentioned.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    From what I understand, every other American/Canadian actor to be approached/offered the role said "no, Bond should be British."

Not james Brolin, but thank the Godess Roger Moore returned instead.
  • I was watching Pacific Rim the other night, and Idris Elba sure looks like he'd make a good 00.
    I was watching Pacific Rim the other night, and Idris Elba sure looks like he'd make a good 00.

Too old to start playing Bond.

Too old or too black...or too both???
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Bond is white ...so is Blofeld. Not too old though ...that's not the way out excuse for not casting him.

Lot of media hype pushing Elba down our throat.

I mean I really don't mean it racists at all. Casting for a part is different though.

If it's this relaxed I vote for Jackie Chan to be the new Shaft.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bond is white ...so is Blofeld. Not too old though ...that's not the way out excuse for not casting him.

Lot of media hype pushing Elba down our throat.

I mean I really don't mean it racists at all. Casting for a part is different though.

If it's this relaxed I vote for Jackie Chan to be the new Shaft.

Mutha shut you mouth!

;)
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Too old or too black...or too both???

No, too old. He will be 45 in his first film, nowadays with 3 years in between films that means he could only play Bond convincingly for 3 films. If he was 37 or whatever he could do it, it's not a race thing with me. I don't care, I just think the ship has sailed for Elba. That being said I'm not in any rush to see a black Bond, people only seem to be demanding it for superficial reasons.
    idris-cover-inline-article.jpeg

idris-main.jpg

This was from a few months back. Does this look like a 45 year old man that'll crack soon? I don't think so.

This was from last month.

idris-elba-800.jpg

He looks like a man in his late 30s. If Elba were to be cast he could get away with being Bond upto his mid 50s. I know plenty of mid 50 black men who look 15 years younger than they actually are and are in great physical shape. People are often in awe of the likes of Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp for being 50 odd years old and looking youthful but that's nothing compared to so many black people where a youthful look is generally the norm.

In any case I'm not advocating for Elba to be cast as Bond, just making a point about the age issue surrounding him.