Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the next chap just needs to sell it.

Craig did that effortlessly in the opening scene of CR in Dryden's office. I knew it right away. This guy was Bond. Nuff said.

Brosnan, imho at least, did not in the opening scene of GE. He seemed to be posing a lot and it was Bean who stole his thunder in the pretitles. That was the start of things, for me. He looked like a million $ in GE too. Such good hair.

So bottom line, the actor needs to be able to sell it and embody it. I don't really care about his previous body of work. All I know is I was impressed with Turner's look and physique in the 'still photos' I saw of him, but the clip above did nothing to sell him to me - where he seemed distinctively lightweight (for the role of Bond that is). I need to see more.

I pretty much agree with this except that I've seen Turner's work and if not screwed over and assisted with worthwhile material, he'd make an excellent Bond.

However, I feel Craig was able to sell and embody the role because as mentioned he's a serious and talented actor. He has the acting capability and a track record that forearms him and to be frank, probably makes him artistically too good for Bond; at least Bond as the movies currently were prior to CR. There's a reason why Babs was so adamant to cast him in the first place and it's partly because of the things I already mentioned. No one and I mean no one, not even Craig has been able to embody the role in a way that Connery did and even then, big Tam got various degrees of shafting. My concern is, I don't want Bond number 7 to encounter a Brosnan situation where the producers over assert and over impose themselves on their lead actor's creative process. Fortunately, EoN haven't been able to do that with Craig and they sure as hell couldn't do it to an actor like Hardy but having an acclaimed body of previous collaborators and work does indeed help, particularly when it comes to attracting the best talent.

I just want the best for Bond and not having to worry about our lead actor being wasted in whatever adverse creative manner may arise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    doubleoego wrote: »

Craig did that effortlessly in the opening scene of CR in Dryden's office. I knew it right away. This guy was Bond. Nuff said.

Brosnan, imho at least, did not in the opening scene of GE. He seemed to be posing a lot and it was Bean who stole his thunder in the pretitles. That was the start of things, for me. He looked like a million $ in GE too. Such good hair.

So bottom line, the actor needs to be able to sell it and embody it. I don't really care about his previous body of work. All I know is I was impressed with Turner's look and physique in the 'still photos' I saw of him, but the clip above did nothing to sell him to me - where he seemed distinctively lightweight (for the role of Bond that is). I need to see more.

I pretty much agree with this except that I've seen Turner's work and if not screwed over and assisted with worthwhile material, he'd make an excellent Bond.

However, I feel Craig was able to sell and embody the role because as mentioned he's a serious and talented actor. He has the acting capability and a track record that forearms him and to be frank, probably makes him artistically too good for Bond; at least Bond as the movies currently were prior to CR. There's a reason why Babs was so adamant to cast him in the first place and it's partly because of the things I already mentioned. No one and I mean no one, not even Craig has been able to embody the role in a way that Connery did and even then, big Tam got various degrees of shafting. My concern is, I don't want Bond number 7 to encounter a Brosnan situation where the producers over assert and over impose themselves on their lead actor's creative process. Fortunately, EoN haven't been able to do that with Craig and they sure as hell couldn't do it to an actor like Hardy but having an acclaimed body of previous collaborators and work does indeed help, particularly when it comes to attracting the best talent.

I just want the best for Bond and not having to worry about our lead actor being wasted in whatever adverse creative manner may arise.
    I agree with your points. However, the one area where we may disagree is that I never saw Brosnan as being able to fully embody Bond. Sure, he may have been shafted as well (in terms of scripts, directors and the like) but he wasn't able to bring the 'dark edge' that James Bond must personify without overacting and being overdramatic, at least in my view.

I think EON these days (at least under Babs if not Cubby) will allow their lead actor more creative control to shape the role if they feel that he is on the ball and has what it takes. Babs did not like the idea of Tarantino for Bond, and I actually agree with her, although I love Quentin. Mendes, despite SP's flaws, did a very good job with SF in my view, and really pushed the envelope of what a Bond film could be. So did Forster and Campbell, so EON seems to be allowing more creative control. You're probably correct that Turner is probably too 'green' to be given such control as an actor off the bat, but in time, it's possible.

I am curious to see more of Turner's work. The Brosnan experience has made me realize that this 'effortless darkness' if you will which I am referring to, is what differentiates Bond from other characters out there. A man who can personify this with relative ease imho was already cast 12 years ago as Bruce Wayne, namely Christian Bale.

This is a quality I insist on with the next actor. An almost hidden psychotic undercurrent.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited February 2016 Posts: 45,489
    Turner may be a good replacement if Wishaw leaves the role of Q. He has that same effeminate air about him.

I agree with your points. However, the one area where we may disagree is that I never saw Brosnan as being able to fully embody Bond. Sure, he may have been shafted as well (in terms of scripts, directors and the like) but he wasn't able to bring the 'dark edge' that James Bond must personify without overacting and being overdramatic, at least in my view.

I think EON these days (at least under Babs if not Cubby) will allow their lead actor more creative control to shape the role if they feel that he is on the ball and has what it takes. Babs did not like the idea of Tarantino for Bond, and I actually agree with her, although I love Quentin. Mendes, despite SP's flaws, did a very good job with SF in my view, and really pushed the envelope of what a Bond film could be. So did Forster and Campbell, so EON seems to be allowing more creative control. You're probably correct that Turner is probably too 'green' to be given such control as an actor off the bat, but in time, it's possible.

I am curious to see more of Turner's work. The Brosnan experience has made me realize that this 'effortless darkness' if you will which I am referring to, is what differentiates Bond from other characters out there. A man who can personify this with relative ease imho was already cast 12 years ago as Bruce Wayne, namely Christian Bale.

This is a quality I insist on with the next actor. An almost hidden psychotic undercurrent.

For sure. I definitely agree with you. I've never really been a huge Brosnan Bond fan and what he lacked, I'm still a bit undecided if it was because he lacked the talent or simply was given weak material to work with but there was definitely a lack. There are flashes in his films, however, where he shines and shows a dark side executed very well but I don't know... His films outside of Bond do suggest the talent may have been there but for whatever reason it just couldn't be realised properly in his Bond films.

EoN, starting with CR have definitely been more flexible with their creative decisions compared to what came before but I feel they can still do more and really stretch themselves generously when creatively brining in new blood, particularly when it comes to getting the script together. Anyway, I think maybe with EoN's experience with Craig, you could be right, in that for Bond number 7 if the actor can display the goods to really bring the character to life in an interesting and unique way, that really embodies the essence of Fleming then perhaps EoN will really do right by their man and really assist as opposed to stumping or letting him coast and eventually sink. Time will tell I suppose.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Turner may be a good replacement if Wishaw leaves the role of Q. He has that same effeminate air about him.

You have a unique concept of effeminate.

• Not a Hiddleston fan as Bond. Too soft, not tough enough.
    talos7 wrote: »

You have a unique concept of effeminate.

He is not totally wrong. There is something missing in terms of presence and danger.
    I think, for example, Clive Owen had the look - totally and much more interesting then Turner, but he couldn't do anything with it. He is boring to watch. (Clive)
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 6,601
    Not a Hiddleston fan as Bond. Too soft, not tough enough.

He would be a weasely Bond. I still vote for Charlie Hunam.
    Hunan would be an awful choice. For starters, his voice (accent) is all over the place.
    Hunan would be an awful choice. For starters, his voice (accent) is all over the place.

Guess he is too DC-ish too lookwise. They should and will, IMO, depart from that.
    So, that Turner guy and co are closer to what's in the cards, I think.

• RC7RC7
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,512
    -
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Having seen the first part of The Night Manager (BBC1), Tom Hiddleston has just gone up on my estimation of him as Bond. Stand down DC and let TH have a crack. Mind you he might not want it…
    He's currently my guy for the job as well, & I haven't even seen Night Manager. He's got a dark edge to him and I think that is what Bond needs more than anything, post-Craig to keep the ball rolling.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 40,500
    @DaltonCraig, saw that 'Bastille Day' trailer, nice to see Idris Elba kicking ass alongside Robb Stark. I'm in.

I think Richard Madden could make a pretty good Bond, actually.
    This is James Bond right here:

X-Men_First_Class_Michael_Fassbender_as_Erik_Lehnsherr_Magneto_in_Sean_Connery_James_Bond_From_Russia_With_Love_grey_suit.jpg
  • Germanlady wrote: »

That's right. Too joker for my taste. Gimme a tough guy.
  • SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,130
    Germanlady wrote: »

That's right. Too joker for my taste. Gimme a tough guy.

I like Charlie Hunnam and i think he is a mix between Pierce and Craig so the fans of each one of those would be happy with this choice.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    This is James Bond right here:

X-Men_First_Class_Michael_Fassbender_as_Erik_Lehnsherr_Magneto_in_Sean_Connery_James_Bond_From_Russia_With_Love_grey_suit.jpg

He won't be Bond his head is too big .
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Honestly, I'm looking for a slightly more refined fella after the Craig years. Just a bit more class. I don't know enough about this Hunam chap except that he did some underwear ad or something and has been in some tv show. Seems a little brutish for Bond.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    He's currently my guy for the job as well, & I haven't even seen Night Manager. He's got a dark edge to him and I think that is what Bond needs more than anything, post-Craig to keep the ball rolling.

I watched night manager because some people were touting it as an audition for Bond. I didn't see any, any any similarity. His character is totally different. He seems like a good actor, so he could be given a screen test. But this wasn't it.
    Sark wrote: »

I watched night manager because some people were touting it as an audition for Bond. I didn't see any, any any similarity. His character is totally different. He seems like a good actor, so he could be given a screen test. But this wasn't it.
    Good to know. Have you seen Aidan Turner in And Then There Were None? That's the other audition which has been getting rave reviews on here. I've not seen either.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,138
    I have not. That clip that was posted of him recently is apparently from that.

By the way, I thought the Night Manager was good. Just not Bond.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    That's because it was the night manager and not James Bond. Obviously.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,756
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think Ryan Gosling could make a good Bond, if he was British. Then again, he's Canadian. Lazenby & Hugh Jackman are Australian, I don't see how that's anymore "British" than a Canadian. Pierce Brosnan basically had an American accent at times.

Then perhaps you can explain why so many people thought that something was Bondian about his performance.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-22/twitter-really-wants-tom-hiddleston-to-play-the-next-james-bond
    I'm going to get a lot of hate for this but I think Ryan Gosling could make a good Bond, if he was British. Then again, he's Canadian. Lazenby & Hugh Jackman are Australian, I don't see how that's anymore "British" than a Canadian. Pierce Brosnan basically had an American accent at times.

You won't be getting hate from me for that. :) An interesting idea. I probably never would have thought of him, but now that you mentioned him... I could actually imagine him in the role. The problem I have with most younger guys that people have suggested is that I either haven't seen them in anything or have seen very little of them. Not so with Gosling. I have a pretty good idea of what he can do, having seen a dozed of his movies, and he's versatile. Can do charming, can do cold-blooded, can do vulnerable, can do humor. Talented and ambitious, a proper actor, a good age: 35. What's to hate about the idea? It's certainly a much better idea than people like, um, Cavill and whatnot.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 725

Then perhaps you can explain why so many people thought that something was Bondian about his performance.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-02-22/twitter-really-wants-tom-hiddleston-to-play-the-next-james-bond

Twitter and the press want who ever the flavor of the week is to be the next Bond, providing they are good Net click bait. There have been about 20 definitely, positively, next in line, the best bet, EON's choice, Twitter loves him, already in negotiations, ready to take over because absolutely everyone wants him, actors salivating over the role. There will be plenty more. Every English (and some not so English) actor under 50, and their PR shills, think they should be the next Bond. There is a good SNL skit somewhere in this game.

smitty wrote: »

Twitter and the press want who ever the flavor of the week is to be the next Bond, providing they are good Net click bait. There have been about 20 definitely, positively, next in line, the best bet, EON's choice, Twitter loves him, already in negotiations, ready to take over because absolutely everyone wants him, actors salivating over the role. There will be plenty more. Every English (and some not so English) actor under 50, and their PR shills, think they should be the next Bond. There is a good SNL skit somewhere in this game.

Indeed. :))

Gosling much better then Hiddle. But yeah, there will be many more and in the end it will be someone on nobodys radar, like Daniel Craig :))