Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I agree, there is something not right about his look. I like this line in the story, " Our money’s still on Aidan Turner taking over the iconic role though after impressing fans with his abs… we mean acting talents… on ‘Poldark’.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,727
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    AceHole wrote: »
    Next actor should be a female kleptomaniac. They are vastly underrepresented in popular media. That and Sheffield Wednesday supporters.

@AceHole have you seen the film Laura from 1944? It's about a kleptomaniac and it's brilliant. I think Wednesday might have a good chance of getting in the playoffs. I'm a Hull City fan, I said before a ball was kicked that we'd win the league and we're currently top!

My point exactly! It's since 1944 that one has been central to a movie, and probably even longer than that since Sheffield Wednesday won anything :D
    I'm a Spurs supporter myself, and I'm remaining 'schtum' untill the season is over X_X
    Perhaps it's just all a dream...
    talos7 wrote: »
    I agree, there is something not right about his look. I like this line in the story, " Our money’s still on Aidan Turner taking over the iconic role though after impressing fans with his abs… we mean acting talents… on ‘Poldark’.

he would work far better in that Highlander reboot that has been in development hell for what a decade now? ( though Jaws 5 and MacGyver still hold out as longest project I have been interested in that have been in development hell though with Mac it may change)

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Oh for God's sake, 36 new posts in this thread...and its the same old recycled Id*** E*** nonsense again.

In the interest of bringing some actual fresh material to the table, here's a piece about James Norton and "bookies slashing the odds" (lol) on him being Bond. Don't know anything about him and his look is kind of offputting to me, but here it is.

https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/post/139172374146/bookies-slash-odds-on-war-and-peace-star-for-next
    To quote Hans Gruber, or is that Bill Clay: "Please God No!!"

If this chap becomes Bond I'm out. I'd prefer not to judge folks on their looks but 'kind of offputting' is an understatement imho. I'd rather they go with Elba.
    I have seen worse here. Much worse, but I doubt any of them can be taken seriously.
    With the bookies it seems every week "Who do we gonna throw at them now?" :))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I watched War & Peace and it was an excellent series, mainly thanks to Paul Dano who completely stole the show (only ever seen him in Cowboys & Aliens as Harrison Ford's hapless son). James Norton was as dull as the proverbial dishwater and I can't see him lighting up the screen as Bond.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2016 Posts: 10,588
    NicNac wrote: »
    I watched War & Peace and it was an excellent series, mainly thanks to Paul Dano who completely stole the show (only ever seen him in Cowboys & Aliens as Harrison Ford's hapless son). James Norton was as dull as the proverbial dishwater and I can't see him lighting up the screen as Bond.
    Kind of off topic, but you should check out Dano's performance in Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners. Truly a frightening, disturbing presence, and plays his character fantastically.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I will check that out Jake, he's a terrific actor. Thanks
    Whoever they cast when Craig stands down, it's bound to be someone we haven't even considered yet for the role, quietly tolling away at his profession. Truth be, we don't even know when the next Bond movie is due to come out. Quite possibly 2018, with or without Craig, though most likely with Craig for one last hooray. That would mean a fresh face for Bond in 2020 at the very least, which means it'll probably be someone who's around the 32 mark now.

So maybe start looking at actors who are currently 32-ish and draw up a list of names.
    Here's another one to add to that list: Alexander Dreymon, who is appearing in BBC's The Last Kngdom.
  • In addition to Elba, that Tom hardy fellow would make a good Bond as well.
    I'm sorry if this has been previously posted but this really convinces me that Turner would be perfect.

Daniel and the powers that be probably know if he is returning. Allowing the speculation provides an opportunity for free publicity and will create an excitement for an announcement that he will indeed be back,
    Now just to play devils advocate, what if he is unsure, and what if EON does not know his intentions. Back in Sean and Roger's day they had backups lined up; some, like John Gavin and James Brolin came very close. Have they yet started this process? have actors been contacted? I would think this would be done very quietly.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 6,601
    I'm sorry if this has been previously posted but this really convinces me that Turner would be perfect.

He is fine looking and should be the perfect Bond by description, but there is nothing interesting in his face or anything to remember as far as I am concerned. Not totally bland but not catching either. What this face lacks IMO is depth.
    But better then a few of the other suggestions.

Germanlady wrote: »

He is fine looking and should be the perfect Bond by description, but there is nothing interesting in his face or anything to remember as far as I am concerned. Not totally bland but not catching either. What this face lacks IMO is depth.
    Well, I'm glad you're not making the selection ;) as you are that I'm not.

Well, I'm glad you're not making the selection ;) as you are that I'm not.

;;)
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    @tanaka123 you must be thinking of a different movie. Laura has nothing to do with kleptomaniacs that I recall.

@talos7 that is a good trailer, as far as showing his potential. Seems to be able to play a gentleman with a dark side (as opposed to a thug stuffed in a suit). Not sure about the movie though.
    @Sark yes you are quite right, sorry it's Whirlpool from 1949. Sorry got mixed up, they both have GeneTierney in them.
    no worries, you've given me another film to look into.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Well, it's a good thing actual acting ability is important.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Well, it's a good thing actual acting ability is important.

Yes, IF he is able to improve on the depth through acting - fine.

You may find this interesting

• edited February 2016 Posts: 6,601
    doubleoego wrote: »
    You may find this interesting

Good you didn't waste more then 2 minutes of my time. :-O Its not even funny.
    Try harder B-)
    Wow that was stupid.
    Which pretty much sums up this whole will he or won't he be back nonsense.
    I've not seen Turner acting in anything, but judging purely from that clip posted above (which is very brief admittedly), although he has the look, he doesn't seem to have the voice, edginess, or the commanding screen presence to anchor a Bond film imho. I fear he could be Brosnan V2.0, which I wouldn't want.

My money is still on Hiddleston to take it over once DC packs it in.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    I think Turner would be a great Bond as well as Hiddleston; and I think the problem for them and any other actor with the exception of someone like Tom Hardy ir Fassbender who won't suffer any ridiculousness from EoN in a post Craig era falling into Brosnan territory would be the fact that they want the role.

What sets Craig apart from most is that yes, he was an accomplished character actor and was and to some extent still is an actor's actor but the role of Bond was something he never coveted and even after being offered the role he still needed convincing to accept. Such a character trait in a serious actor was something Babs at least never experienced first hand prior as a fully fledged producer. She was hungry to re-establish credibility and bring a degree of gravitas that the series had been lacking.

Turner's a very good actor and as he's relatively young and doesn't have the body of work nor established collaborations that Craig had by the time he took on the role, it can be all too easy for EoN to over assert themselves over their lead actor, to the point where things can take a nasty turn creatively and as evidenced Craig to some degree hasn't been immune from Creative mishaps.

Brosnan was popular and very profitable but he lacked the creative and artistic credibility that Craig had/has and for that it was easy for EoN to ignore requests Brosnan wanted to inject into the series. Look at Craig, the guy's a co-producer on SP, he recruited Mendes and Bardem, he assisted in script writing duties for QoS and now, the producers will happily wait for him (within reason) until he's ready to come back. This was not the case with Brosnan at all who was told he won't be needed anymore via telephone call.

All that being said, I'm actually a little concerned on whomever they cast as Bond number 7. I'm not saying I want these particular actors, Hardy and Fassbender but, of all the names that get thrown around these are the only 2 actors I can think of where EoN would give them at the very least the same sort of respect and value they've given Craig.
    I believe, respect has to be earned. What sets DC apart from someone like Turner (back then?) Nothing much, because he might have had a body of work, but was not really well known outside of the UK. I think, it was the total committment, he brought to the role and every other actor, who throws himself into it in the same way, will have that respect. And rightly so.
    Yes respect has to be earned but Brosnan did earn it. Bond was pretty much a non entity between LTK and GE and he had to carry the weight of Bond's relevance on his shoulders and make up for the apparent underwhelming reception of Dalton. Like I said, Brosnan was popular and profitable which he should recieve extra credit for considering he had to repopularise Bond into the social fabric in an era of new age action heroes. He wanted more involvement, he wanted to throw himself in to the thick of things, he even championed Bellucci over Hatcher but again was ignored simply because, what? He was too pretty to come up with decisions? He wasn't an actor's actor nor had he carved out a stellar body of work that had him collaborate with critically acclaimed top talent? Well, to some degree it was a combination of all these things not to mention this was a role Brosnan coveted badly.

As for the difference between Craig and Turner you're really downplaying Craig's filmography and my aforementioned comments in the previous paragraph. So what if Craig wasn't that well known outside the UK? If anything that's a huge benefit. If Craig looked more classically and conventionally handsome, he wouldn't have recieved anywhere near as much backlash as he got. None of this too blonde, too ugly, too Putin-like stuff that was being flogged around. That was the issue. So many people have no clue who the hell Turner is but based on looks alone they make proclamations that he can make a good Bond. To avoid another Brosnan situation, EON need an actor who knows their own worth as an acclaimed, hard working talent not to mention EoN from their end being fair to and working with their actor and going forward seriously, really caring about the creative process and not going in with a, not giving three-fiffths of a f*** attitude just so long as the bottom line is met; like what the case ended up being with the Brosnan era and to some degree how the Craig era has in instances found itself.
    I think the next chap just needs to sell it.

Craig did that effortlessly in the opening scene of CR in Dryden's office. I knew it right away. This guy was Bond. Nuff said.

Brosnan, imho at least, did not in the opening scene of GE. He seemed to be posing a lot and it was Bean who stole his thunder in the pretitles. That was the start of things, for me. He looked like a million $ in GE too. Such good hair.

So bottom line, the actor needs to be able to sell it and embody it. I don't really care about his previous body of work. All I know is I was impressed with Turner's look and physique in the 'still photos' I saw of him, but the clip above did nothing to sell him to me - where he seemed distinctively lightweight (for the role of Bond that is). I need to see more.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think the next chap just needs to sell it.

Craig did that effortlessly in the opening scene of CR in Dryden's office. I knew it right away. This guy was Bond. Nuff said.

Brosnan, imho at least, did not in the opening scene of GE. He seemed to be posing a lot and it was Bean who stole his thunder in the pretitles. That was the start of things, for me. He looked like a million $ in GE too. Such good hair.

So bottom line, the actor needs to be able to sell it and embody it. I don't really care about his previous body of work. All I know is I was impressed with Turner's look and physique in the 'still photos' I saw of him, but the clip above did nothing to sell him to me - where he seemed distinctively lightweight (for the role of Bond that is). I need to see more.

I pretty much agree with this except that I've seen Turner's work and if not screwed over and assisted with worthwhile material, he'd make an excellent Bond.

However, I feel Craig was able to sell and embody the role because as mentioned he's a serious and talented actor. He has the acting capability and a track record that forearms him and to be frank, probably makes him artistically too good for Bond; at least Bond as the movies currently were prior to CR. There's a reason why Babs was so adamant to cast him in the first place and it's partly because of the things I already mentioned. No one and I mean no one, not even Craig has been able to embody the role in a way that Connery did and even then, big Tam got various degrees of shafting. My concern is, I don't want Bond number 7 to encounter a Brosnan situation where the producers over assert and over impose themselves on their lead actor's creative process. Fortunately, EoN haven't been able to do that with Craig and they sure as hell couldn't do it to an actor like Hardy but having an acclaimed body of previous collaborators and work does indeed help, particularly when it comes to attracting the best talent.

I just want the best for Bond and not having to worry about our lead actor being wasted in whatever adverse creative manner may arise.