Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• SzonanaSzonana Mexico
    bondjames wrote: »
    smitty wrote: »
    EON may greatly change direction from Craig, but I doubt they will go Etonian with actors like Hiddleston and Lewis who are very similar types.
    You may be right, but I hope they do. I always liked the smoother, more refined types myself. That's something the competition cannot match when it comes to Bond. It's a differentiator of the character. Sets him apart imho.

Im also rooting for smooth Bond next time but Hiddleston, Damian Lewis, Benedict Cumberbatch and Eddie reidman are too geek looking or weird.

The Bond look is the GQ model look which Pierce and Connery had.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    doubleoego wrote: »
    idris-cover-inline-article.jpeg

idris-main.jpg

This was from a few months back. Does this look like a 45 year old man that'll crack soon? I don't think so.

This was from last month.

idris-elba-800.jpg

He looks like a man in his late 30s. If Elba were to be cast he could get away with being Bond upto his mid 50s. I know plenty of mid 50 black men who look 15 years younger than they actually are and are in great physical shape. People are often in awe of the likes of Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp for being 50 odd years old and looking youthful but that's nothing compared to so many black people where a youthful look is generally the norm.

In any case I'm not advocating for Elba to be cast as Bond, just making a point about the age issue surrounding him.

Er, yeah, and Moore still looked great in MR. Four years later he looked like a grandpa. How do you know how well Elba will age, exactly? It's madness to hire someone to START playing Bond on the assumption that they will defy what is biologically inevitable.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    I'm boycotting Bond until Idris gets the gig.

#007TooWhite
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Too old or too black...or too both???
    Both, but he is a lot better than many other names being mentioned.

Fassbender is still my fav among those. He turns 40 next year, and if Craig really leaves now, he would be perfect to take over if they continue the timeline.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139

idris-main.jpg

This was from a few months back. Does this look like a 45 year old man that'll crack soon? I don't think so.

idris-elba-800.jpg

He looks like a man in his late 30s. If Elba were to be cast he could get away with being Bond upto his mid 50s. I know plenty of mid 50 black men who look 15 years younger than they actually are and are in great physical shape. People are often in awe of the likes of Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp for being 50 odd years old and looking youthful but that's nothing compared to so many black people where a youthful look is generally the norm.

In any case I'm not advocating for Elba to be cast as Bond, just making a point about the age issue surrounding him.

Er, yeah, and Moore still looked great in MR. Four years later he looked like a grandpa. How do you know how well Elba will age, exactly? It's madness to hire someone to START playing Bond on the assumption that they will defy what is biologically inevitable.

Er, yeah because Roger Moore at 45 was clearly in the same shape that Elba's in at 45. Like I said, many black people in their mid 50s and just in general look years younger than they are. Looking at some black actors, Chris Rock is 51, Jamie Foxx is 48, Will Smith is 47, Chadwick Boseman is 39, Anthony Mackie is 37, Marlon Wayans is 43, Morris Chestnut is 47, Eddie Murphy is 54, Denzel Washington is 61, Sidney Poitier just turned 89 and although older than Moore and Connery he looks a lot better than they do.

idris-main.jpg

idris-elba-800.jpg

Er, yeah because Roger Moore at 45 was clearly in the same shape that Elba's in at 45. Like I said, many black people in their mid 50s and just in general look years younger than they are. Looking at some black actors, Chris Rock is 51, Jamie Foxx is 48, Will Smith is 47, Chadwick Boseman is 39, Anthony Mackie is 37, Marlon Wayans is 43, Morris Chestnut is 47, Eddie Murphy is 54, Denzel Washington is 61, Sidney Poitier just turned 89 and although older than Moore and Connery he looks a lot better than they do.

And I could name you a bunch of white actors who look younger than they are. What's you're point?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117

idris-main.jpg

idris-elba-800.jpg

Yes but Daniel has raised the bar in terms of physicality compared to Roger's days. I can't envisage them going for anyone over 40 these days because they will want to get at least 10 years service out of him.

A pity because I'd really love to see Marlon Wayans in the role!
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139

idris-main.jpg

idris-elba-800.jpg

And I could name you a bunch of white actors who look younger than they are. What's you're point?

Go on then, name them; not that there aren't any. My point was in reference to your comment about Moore looking like a grandpa 4 years after MR. When Elba is the same age as Moore was when he left the role, I'm pretty sure he won't be looking like a grandpa. Someone like Elba can get away with being in the role longer; hell even Naomie Harris looks considerably younger than when Samantha Bond made her first appearance as MP.
    Yes but Daniel has raised the bar in terms of physicality compared to Roger's days. I can't envisage them going for anyone over 40 these days because they will want to get at least 10 years service out of him.

Pretty much but I guess we'll see which direction EoN go in. You can never be too sure on what strategy they'll go with.

Don't know what you're on about but ok...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I think AVTAK Rog could have pulled off most of the moves in SP, Hinx fight notwithstanding. I realize that DC was injured, but regardless, it's not like they needed Superman for this particular film.

I agree that a relatively fit actor would be best, but I think someone in their early 50's could pull of most of the stuff without trouble, assuming they were still in decent shape. Elba certainly looks quite fit in those photos from above.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tom Cruise would poke out Mr Hinx s eyes without effort. Thank you , Lord Xenu!

idris-main.jpg

idris-elba-800.jpg

Go on then, name them.

Also, my point was in reference to your comment about Moore looking like a grandpa 4 years after MR. When Elba is the same age as Moore was when he left the role, I'm pretty sure he won't be looking like a grandpa. Someone like Elba can get away with being in the role longer; hell even Naomie Harris looks considerably younger than when Samantha Bond made her first appearance as MP.

Pretty much but I guess we'll see which direction EoN go in. You can never be too sure on what strategy they'll go with.

Don't know what you're on about but ok...

Johnny Depp, Keanu Reeves, Tom Cruise, Ewan McGregor, Patrick Stewart, Paul Rudd, Brad Pitt, Leo Dicaprio etc.

My point is that no one knows how an actor will look in 10 years, especially when they are approaching midlife. When EON took Moore on they were cranking films out every two years, not a problem. Nowadays, EON have to plan ahead and it's a lot safer to go for someone under 40. Unless EON is only looking for a 'palette cleanser' Bond after having Craig for so long, then Elba would be find. I have nothing against the man.

From an Evening Standard article:

"Stars including James Norton??, John Boyega??, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston are rumoured to be in the running to take over the role."

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/mark-strong-appears-to-confirm-daniel-craig-s-james-bond-exit-he-s-done-what-he-wants-with-it-a3186851.html
    Johnny Depp, Keanu Reeves, Tom Cruise, Ewan McGregor, Patrick Stewart, Paul Rudd, Brad Pitt, Leo Dicaprio etc.

My point is that no one knows how an actor will look in 10 years, especially when they are approaching midlife. When EON took Moore on they were cranking films out every two years, not a problem. Nowadays, EON have to plan ahead and it's a lot safer to go for someone under 40. Unless EON is only looking for a 'palette cleanser' Bond after having Craig for so long, then Elba would be find. I have nothing against the man.
    I agree, EoN should cast younger; under 40, however, I still think there are a handful of actors out there over 40 who can get away with being credible look-wise in the role. If Fassbender was a little less famous I'd definitely be rooting for him to be the next Bond. He has an interesting face and keeps himself fit enough to possibly still looking decent enough going into his early 50s. But in any case, I think we can both agree it would be an ideal situation if EoN cast credibly young enough to get as much mileage as possible.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,113

I agree, EoN should cast younger; under 40, however, I still think there are a handful of actors out there over 40 who can get away with being credible look-wise in the role. If Fassbender was a little less famous I'd definitely be rooting for him to be the next Bond. He has an interesting face and keeps himself fit enough to possibly still looking decent enough going into his early 50s. But in any case, I think we can both agree it would be an ideal situation if EoN cast credibly young enough to get as much mileage as possible.

Agreed. =;
    "He has done, what he wants with it"

I can believe this. And that being the main reason why he might end his run. Plus, he has a lot to loose, if the next one goes wrong. Why risk such a successful legacy?

• bondjames wrote: »
    From an Evening Standard article:

"Stars including James Norton??, John Boyega??, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston are rumoured to be in the running to take over the role."

http://www.standard.co.uk/showbiz/celebrity-news/mark-strong-appears-to-confirm-daniel-craig-s-james-bond-exit-he-s-done-what-he-wants-with-it-a3186851.html

Anyone can be "rumoured" if you make up a story about it and post it on the internet.

Hey, I heard Clifton James is going to be the next Bond, I totally did. There, now he's a "rumoured" candidate.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @doubleoego I showed my mom the Denzel Washington film 'The Equalizer', at first she thought the film was from the 1990's because she refused to believe that Denzel was 59 years old in the film.
    @DaltonCraig007, 59 years old? Heck, I don't believe he's 59 years old. I thought he was around 50.
    Well there you go. He's 61 now but some of these actors tend to look generously younger than they actually are. Ryan Phillipe is another one and so is the music artist Pharrel Williams.
    Let's not forget Eddie Murphy.
    Yeah i mentioned him in one of my posts above.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @bondjames Denzel was 49 years old in 'Man on Fire'. How's that for a mindf*ck.
    @DaltonCraig007, he has always impressed me. He, like a lot of other actors I'm sure, has a very disciplined fitness regimen. I looked it up a few years ago because I was very impressed with how he'd managed to stay in shape and maintain muscle mass without looking overbuilt.

Soon we'll have to add Liev Schreiber to this list. He's another guy who gets better with age.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hiddleston's not being shy about his interest in the role, but he's also showing the right amount of restraint.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6949428/Tom-Hidleston-says-he-is-big-fan-of-James-Bond.html

• bondjames wrote: »
    Let's not forget Eddie Murphy.

Eddie Murphy can't do the role, but Idris Elba would be great.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I noticed that @talos7. He's playing good politics. I hope he's the guy honestly, although some have called him too joker and too slim etc. etc. Great actor and that voice is something else. Smoothest since Moore.
  • Too soft. Bond has to be tough now. Gone are the days of reg dreaded raised eyebrow.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I like Hiddleston but I think Fassbender is such a better candidate. He has that dark edge. He could play a true Ian Fleming BOND. Hiddleston couldn't pull it off as well but he could do humour and "swagger" better.
  • talos7 wrote: »
    Hiddleston's not being shy about his interest in the role, but he's also showing the right amount of restraint.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6949428/Tom-Hidleston-says-he-is-big-fan-of-James-Bond.html

Yep, here it is, right on time. "After impressing as a former soldier turned hotel chief turned spy in The Night Manager, Tom Hiddleston has been tipped to be the next 007."

Why, it's almost as if I predicted exactly this would happen on the previous page!

"I'll give it 48 hours before the Sun/Mirror etc lets us all know that "a source says that Hiddleston's performance is said to have impressed movie bosses, who are already lining him up as the new James Bond!" "

5W56Jql.jpg