SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

Its done without 3D as well, which makes it just two in this chart. THAT is real impressive as well. (Correct me, if i wrongly assume Furious is the only other 2D on this list.)

1 Jurassic World Uni.
    2 Furious 7 Uni.
    3 Avengers: Age of Ultron BV
    4 Minions Uni.
    5 Inside Out BV
    6 Spectre
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Its done without 3D as well, which makes it just two in this chart. THAT is real impressive as well. (Correct me, if i wrongly assume Furious is the only other 2D on this list.)

1 Jurassic World Uni.
    2 Furious 7 Uni.
    4 Minions Uni.
    5 Inside Out BV
    6 Spectre
    FF7 is 3D as well

EDIT: No, I'm wrong. I think it's also only 2D.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    RC7 wrote: »
    £800m+ is fantastic for a Bond. After 53 years, it's massively impressive. Anyone who thinks otherwise can come back to me when Minions and JP 24 are grossing those figures.

Haha, well said.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 6,601
    So, it will end on 7 but
    bondjames wrote: »

1 Jurassic World Uni.
    2 Furious 7 Uni.
    4 Minions Uni.
    5 Inside Out BV
    6 Spectre

FF7 is 3D as well

So Spectre sits very comfortably within the first 7 as one of the two 2D films reaching north of 800 mill.
  • I think SP may be 6th, Inside Out is not so far. ;)
  • As I posted a few days ago, SPECTRE is also the fourth highest grossing Bond film of all time, including adjustments for inflation. Only Thunderball, Skyfall, and Goldfinger beat it. Any claims that SPECTRE is not a box office success are simply not in touch with reality.
  • Who is making such claims?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    As I posted a few days ago, SPECTRE is also the fourth highest grossing Bond film of all time, including adjustments for inflation. Only Thunderball, Skyfall, and Goldfinger beat it. Any claims that SPECTRE is not a box office success are simply not in touch with reality.

Maybe 4th highest grossing, in absolute figures terms, but certainly way down the list in profitability terms, unfortunately!

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Regarding Star Wars, "the film has already made box office history in England, where it has sold more than half a million tickets for its opening week at one cinema chain alone."

Time for Bond to pack his suitcase and jet off somewhere.
    yea it looks like Star Wars is going to crush that lovely top movies spot that Skyfall (and soon to be SPECTRE at #2) been holding. too bad
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Regarding Star Wars, "the film has already made box office history in England, where it has sold more than half a million tickets for its opening week at one cinema chain alone."

Yes, i've already had a look at the seating plan, for advanced bookings, to see SW7 at my nearest multiplex in the UK, and just about all the best seats are taken, for all the evening showings. Best time to go would be during an afternoon on a week day, if you want to get a seat to see the film before xmas. You now have to forget even thinking about going to an IMAX.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 6,601
    mepal1 wrote: »
    As I posted a few days ago, SPECTRE is also the fourth highest grossing Bond film of all time, including adjustments for inflation. Only Thunderball, Skyfall, and Goldfinger beat it. Any claims that SPECTRE is not a box office success are simply not in touch with reality.

Maybe 4th highest grossing, in absolute figures terms, but certainly way down the list in profitability terms, unfortunately!

But you have to remember, that they don't actually need 650 to get even, because of all the fine money they got in advertising products. How I understand it, with Mexico etc, they got more then their fair share.
  • mepal1 wrote: »

Comparing the "profitability" of Spectre to Dr.No and FRWL etc is apples and oranges. DN was made for literally, one million dollars. The industry has changed so much that budget comparisons from 50 years ago are meaningless. If they made Dr.No today with modern FX and action sequences, it would cost $200 million.

It'll end up making 3 and a half times its production budget. That is a massive success for any modern movie.
    mepal1 wrote: »

But you have to remember, that they don't actually need 650 to get even, because of all the fine money they got in advertising products. How I understand it, with Mexico etc, they got more then their fair share.

Yes, but that money was used to bring down the budget to somewhere around $245 m, the film actually cost $300 m +. It was all explained in articles by the film media, at SP's release. :)
    Monday numbers are out, and SP still making almost half a million daily. At this rate, despite the SW release this weekend, we should definitely get the big 2 in front of the SP number stateside. All we gotta do now is see if it gets passed the 850 mark worldwide.

http://pro.boxoffice.com/statistics/bo_numbers/daily/2015-12-15
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote: »

Given the circumstances it shows just how impressive SF's performance in the UK actually was. Even SP's has been phenomenal by all accounts.
    Of course there's no guarantee that SW will top SF. The Phantom Menace is the highest grossing SW film at the UK box office (unadjusted for inflation) at only £56 million.

It's opening weekend isn't going to be anywhere near as important as it's staying power.

SF had legs and it kept on running.
    Of course there's no guarantee that SW will top SF. The Phantom Menace is the highest grossing SW film at the UK box office (unadjusted for inflation) at only £56 million.

It's opening weekend isn't going to be anywhere near as important as it's staying power.

SF had legs and it kept on running.

True, but SW7 has the advantage that a lot of its tickets sales will be for expensive 3D viewings, and that is gonna make it easy for that film to accumulate a massive gross, very quickly.
    If SW7 does leap frog SF, then Bond should still occupy the No.2 & 3 spots on the all-time list in the UK, sometime in the New Year.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    $821,000,000. Impressive. Most impressive. Indeed it is powerful as the M has foreseen...
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    SP is probably due another $11-15 million in the US. It's lost it's premium theaters weeks ago and if it can hold up against Star Wars, $200 million shouldn't be a problem. With the Christmas weekdays, we might end up passing $900 million after all.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 157
    If Spectre wasn't that much profitable as some of us are saying, then Quantum of Solace was a massive flop...
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Any claims that SPECTRE is not a box office success are simply not in touch with reality.

Or they produce movies :)
    [I mean some will judge only with respect to what the other did just before. The growth dictatorship...]

Anyhow it's funny IMO to see SP seems to have the same kind of box office as a 80s Roger Moore Bond (very high OS BO, but "only" top 10 material in the US). And yet 80s are often dissed here as a "low point" for box office... Even though we had one year with two Bond movies at the same time, both doing very fine ! Really, box office historical comparison is more than magic inflation adjustment...

But then, well after these figures from the leaks at a time where the shooting had not begun, we know that they had to stop the shooting for two weeks, after that some actors had to stay on the set to be ready to shoot in case they were opportunities in the rescheduled planning, and cancel their promos for other movies, the release date was seemingly postponed - IIRC there were earlier release dates in the leaks - which means that production and post-production facilities that were booked for some period had to be booked for more than expected and so on. I think the budget went higher than what was estimated.
    From what i've read and understood, the actual total cost to make SP was over $300 mi,, but with tax incentives and other financial deals, the actual cost to the studio got down to $245 mil. This was certainly a lot better, but still massively expensive, i mean the original budget for SP, puts the film at second equal, as the costliest film ever made. Only the special effects laden Avatar was more expensive.

No one is saying SP was not successful, a final gross of circa $850 mil, is fantastic, but the film had to make this huge sum of money, just to get its money back, plus some profit.
    Remember, Sony only made $57 mil from SF. I do believe Babs & MGW made a nice load of dosh for themselves though.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 389
    bondjames wrote: »

1 Jurassic World Uni.
    2 Furious 7 Uni.
    4 Minions Uni.
    5 Inside Out BV
    6 Spectre
    FF7 is 3D as well

FF-7 was 3D in several countries, for instance in China, where 3D is still very popular. However, I think in North America and here in Europe was released only in 2D. It seems a bit extrange, but it is a 2d/3d release.
    http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=263846
  • mepal1 wrote: »
    From what i've read and understood, the actual total cost to make SP was over $300 mi,, but with tax incentives and other financial deals, the actual cost to the studio got down to $245 mil. This was certainly a lot better, but still massively expensive, i mean the original budget for SP, puts the film at second equal, as the costliest film ever made. Only the special effects laden Avatar was more expensive.

No one is saying SP was not successful, a final gross of circa $850 mil, is fantastic, but the film had to make this huge sum of money, just to get its money back, plus some profit.
    Remember, Sony only made $57 mil from SF. I do believe Babs & MGW made a nice load of dosh for themselves though.
    In 2014, MGM had earnt with SF 175 million, EON had got 109 and SONY just 57 as you can read in Sony-leaks.
    For SP, Sony and MGM had projected 200 million in North America and 500 million in the rest of the World, so 700 million worldwide was the target for them.
    http://www.007magazine.co.uk/bond24/secrets_of_spectre1.htm
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    No ill im 007.
    Not unexpected, but SP, like the other films that have been currently playing, is taking a massive theater cut this weekend, to make way for Star Wars and the other new films.

SP is losing 1,415 theaters this weekend, down 53.6%, and will now be playing at only 1,225 sites.

Current BO gross of film is $192,476,132

Film should still be able to crawl its way to $200 mil after the Xmas and NY holidays.
    Fingers crossed.
  • Yeah its on the smallest screen at the multiplex here, and with Point Break, Joy, and Concussion out on Christmas, this means its basically its last week if you want to catch it one last time in the US, though if you have a second run $3 theater it'll probably move to there.
    I noticed that out of all the films currently playing, SP took quite a hit Thursday, probably because a lot of young males, who are into action films, are now going to see SW instead.
  • I think between $200m and $210m is possible at the US Box Office before it moves onto the shelves of video stores. One of the positive things about a film like STAR WARS and its sell out shows is that other films also profit. If someone can't get into a showing of SW they might chose to select something else instead of heading home. People who might not have seen SPECTRE yet may chose it if they can't get into the force awakens (as longs as its still on an available screen that is!)