SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, with SW coming up, SP isn't going to last much longer. Does anybody here agree with that critic guy who said SW will go past 3 billion?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Yeah, with SW coming up, SP isn't going to last much longer. Does anybody here agree with that critic guy who said SW will go past 3 billion?
    There are crazy lines here- I'd say it's entirely possible that it will be the biggest film in history.
  • SPECTRE keeps the number 1 spot of the best opening day in France for 2015

619 200 admissions on Wednesday for STAR WARS (also less admissions than EP III 641 799 in 2005)

850 297 admissions for SPECTRE (on its opening day)

well done SPECTRE!
    SW won't do 3 billion, no. It might do 2 but 3 is insane. Avatar was something special. Not saying SW ain't but it's different.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    SW won't do 3 billion, no. It might do 2 but 3 is insane. Avatar was something special. Not saying SW ain't but it's different.

Yes, $2 bill + is more likely. I can see SW7 beating Titanic, (due to increase ticket prices since 1998), but to reach Avatar's total will require some amazing holdover business.
    No doubt, SW7 will (and has) accumulate a massive gross very quickly, but the exchange rates are going to hurt this film as well overseas.
    For SW7 to even have a chance of reaching Avatar its going to need China to come aboard, and give this film a massive boost, but SW is an unknown quantity in China, so no one knows how the Chinese public will take to this film, though i'am sure it will do very well anyway, as by January the Chinese would of heard a lot about this film, and would probably go along to see the film out of curiosity's sake at the least.
    Obviously SW7 is gonna be massive in the USA & UK, as well as other English speaking regions, and also Japan. But how big the film will be in other regions needs to be seen.
    Historically, it has to be noted that the SW franchise hasn't had the massive International grosses that some other film franchises have.

Very, very few films have sustained length at the BO where the weekly BO remains consistent for several weeks, as per Titanic and Avatar in recent times.

SW7 will have monstrous size initial grosses, but they will decline from week to week, and not stay level, as per the 2 above mentioned films IMO.
    After the NY holiday, how will SW7 still be doing business wise against the newer releases, and everyone back to either school, or work?

• edited December 2015 Posts: 389
    I expect over 2 billion for SW, but 3 billion is crazy. It is a very anticipated movie and first days are going to be amazing, of course they have all the Christmas season but after that it won´t make another billion.
    If any movie can dethrone Avatar and make 3 billion It is Force Awakens. It would be nice to see Avatar knocked off top spot that movie is crap I still haven't sat through the whole thing.
    If any movie can dethrone Avatar and make 3 billion It is Force Awakens. It would be nice to see Avatar knocked off top spot that movie is crap I still haven't sat through the whole thing.

I agree, as a 3D special effects project, the film was fantastic, but as a story, i found Avatar totally unremarkable, and i don't remember much about the film.

• mepal1 wrote: »

I agree, as a 3D special effects project, the film was fantastic, but as a story, i found Avatar totally unremarkable, and i don't remember much about the film.

Avatar was quite good, but it´s like a remake of Pocahontas.
    More like a remake of the infinitely better dances with wolves.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Avatar was one of the most forgettable films I have seen. I saw it late in its run, purely to see what the fuss was all about. Mr. Wooden (sorry, Worthington) himself didn't disappoint in living up to his nickname, and he never does. The baddie was ok, but that's about it. I would prefer if another film takes that top slot, because Avatar is not worthy of the title, imho.
    Avatar is actually my favorite film, but I understand why some would dislike it and yes that story is very similar to Dances with Wolfs. The Avatar sequels will not make nearly as much as the first one. IMO they be lucky to crack s billion.
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Avatar is actually my favorite film, but I understand why some would dislike it
    And I can understand why it would be someone's favourite film. I found it quite enjoyable myself (and I own the DVD).

Avatar is a great epic sci-fi film. One of the best theater experiences I've ever had and it's had some really good replay value on BD. On an HDTV, it's still a great experience to watch. And it's one of the best extended cuts I've seen. A 3 hour sci-fi slugfest. What more do you want? :))
    $356-360K on Friday, 1,3 M weekend estimate. 200 million in jeopardy. :(
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Who cares. SP should count itself blessed it crossed the 800 million mark. The film is a financial success now hopefully for Bond we it can concentrate on being a strong film that does away with the nonsensical and rushed material that hindered SP.
  • Yes, of course, but it would be nice being in the 200 million club and it would be a shame making 198-199 million.

Yes, Friday figure was low, but then that's more likely down to the fact that it was SW7 first full opening day, and the film would attract a lot of young males who would normally go and see an action film.
    'Deadline' did state that they still expected Bond to cross the $200 mil mark, over the holidays.

mepal1 wrote: »

Yes, Friday figure was low, but then that's more likely down to the fact that it was SW7 first full opening day, and the film would attract a lot of young males who would normally go and see an action film.
    'Deadline' did state that they still expected Bond to cross the $200 mil mark, over the holidays.
    I hope so, but maybe 198 million is a more realistic prediction right now. If you know something about UK Box Office and the Avatar 2nd place contest, please tell us.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am still hoping to see SP for a second time, but first SW, then The Hateful Eight and if they are still running, Black Mass or Bridge of Spies, hopefully both.

Only then Spectre again. The only Bond film I saw twice in the cinema was so far Skyfall, but there wasn t much competition back then, for me personally.
  • Sony will keep it around long enough to ensure it hits $200 million. That number sounds a lot better than 198 at a shareholder meeting :)

I was hoping it would beat Goldeneye's 203 or TWINE's 207 but...ehh...might nudge 203, we'll know for sure in the new year.
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Sony will keep it around long enough to ensure it hits $200 million. That number sounds a lot better than 198 at a shareholder meeting :)

I was hoping it would beat Goldeneye's 203 or TWINE's 207 but...ehh...might nudge 203, we'll know for sure in the new year.

SP should at least pass QOS's adjusted total, which it is getting very close to now.
    Maybe match GE, though TWINE figure seems out of reach.

As you have said $200 mil looks so much better in the books than $199.9 mil, and the fact that the film enters the 200 mil club from a records point of view.

Sadly, though in reality SP looks like being behind probably all of the Pierce Brosnan Bond films, admissions wise and a staggering 14,000,000 less attendance wise from SF.
    That is a truly massive loss of business in North America.

• Yes it is strange to see DAD and TND out-gross 3 out of 4 Craig films in the US, especially considering the reception DAD got. Just goes to show that the paying public and the internet rarely agree. If you line up the 7 Broz/DC films in US order, it goes

1. SF Craig
    2. DAD Broz
    3. TND Broz
    4. CR Craig
    5. TWINE Broz
    6. GE Broz
    7. QOS Craig

I wonder if its a coincidence that Brosnan's 3 highest grossing films in America all featured an American Bond girl.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I don't think it has anything to do with that. All you have to do is look at the criticisms of the film to see where the problem is and it's not just a handful of people saying negative things but quite a large number of critics and members of the audience coming up with the same issues they have with the film. SP just wasn't good enough. It was badly written, the film felt rushed even though it's the longest film in the series and plots/sub plots just felt hollow and there was no real sense of tension. The movie was fun and enjoyable but it's flaws were too obvious and too frequent.

EoN need to address the real issues that are the problem. It's not about getting a new lead actor and nor is it about not casting and American Bond girl. It's simply down to the writing being shit and the directing not being upto par. SP has made over 800 million, imagine how much more it could have made if the film was managed properly.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SP is definitely still a success, but I'm sure the budget will be lowered for the next outing.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    SP is definitely still a success, but I'm sure the budget will be lowered for the next outing.
    Good. Lean is better IMHO.

• edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    doubleoego wrote: »
    I don't think it has anything to do with that. All you have to do is look at the criticisms of the film to see where the problem is and it's not just a handful of people saying negative things but quite a large number of critics and members of the audience coming up with the same issues they have with the film. SP just wasn't good enough. It was badly written, the film felt rushed even though it's the longest film in the series and plots/sub plots just felt hollow and there was no real sense of tension. The movie was fun and enjoyable but it's flaws were too obvious and too frequent.

EoN need to address the real issues that are the problem. It's not about getting a new lead actor and nor is it about not casting and American Bond girl. It's simply down to the writing being shit and the directing not being upto par. SP has made over 800 million, imagine how much more it could have made if the film was managed properly.

Very true,
    The film makers have just got to put more effort into getting the script right.

Look at the new Star Wars film, they cut out all the political shit, and waffle, that the 2nd trilogy was hampered by, and are now seeing the rewards at the boxoffice.

The 3 most important things in a film are

1. Script
    2. Script
    3. Script

once this is sorted, then the rest of the film falls into place.

But EONS idea of making a film is to think of a few big action scenes, and then join them together with a flimsy plot.

mepal1 wrote: »
    The 3 most important things in a film are

1. Script
    2. Script
    3. Script

once this is sorted, then the rest of the film falls into place.

Film-making 101.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

This isn't really a complain about SPECTRE thread. SP received a rapturous acclaim compared to TND and (especially) DAD, yet both of those made $30 mil more than SP at the North American box office. The question is why.

I believe the more America-pandering Brosnan movies performed better because they starred a Malibu residing actor who was known from an American TV series, and thus had better 'middle America' appeal than the at the time unknown Daniel Craig, and they put American Bond girls into 3 out of the 4 films.

And similarly, you could also say the more UK-centric Craig films, with big action scenes taking place in London, have resulted in a huge boost to their popularity in Britain.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »

This isn't really a complain about SPECTRE thread. SP received a rapturous acclaim compared to TND and (especially) DAD, yet both of those made $30 mil more than SP at the North American box office. The question is why.

I believe the more America-pandering Brosnan movies performed better because they starred a Malibu residing actor who was known from an American TV series, and thus had better 'middle America' appeal than the at the time unknown Daniel Craig, and they put American Bond girls into 3 out of the 4 films.

And similarly, you could also say the more UK-centric Craig films, with big action scenes taking place in London, have resulted in a huge boost to their popularity in Britain.

Good observations you have made.

Its true that the Craig Bond era has really clicked with the UK public, and the grosses have all been very high, including even the poorly received QOS.
    They do seem to have a more British feel to them, particularly the last 2 Bonds, where a large part of the filming has been in the UK (mainly London), and with the connection to the MI6 staff.

Regarding Brosnan, even though he's Irish, i think a lot of people unaware of his history probably perceived him as being an American, based on the fact they had seen him on American films and TV.