SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    Keep in mind that there are some decent films opening on or around Christmas Day as always, which will gobble up some valuable theatres as well.

Yes, i know, i was just not trying to depress everyone.

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited December 2015 Posts: 1,699
    It looks like SP will finish with a worldwide total of between $8m and $8.5m, which is obviously down on SF's haul, but the latter's was unexpectedly huge. Few expected SP to get really close to it. I don't think, let alone match it or surpass it. In which case, SP has performed perfectly well - although how much 'real' profit it's made is a good question; we'll have to see when that sort of information leaks out.

If SP can make just over $8.5m worldwide, though, it'll inch ahead of Inside Out and finish in sixth place for the year (assuming Star Wars will finish in second, third or fourth or - more likely methinks - first place), which wouldn't be bad at all.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?view2=worldwide&yr=2015&p=.htm
    St_George wrote: »
    It looks like SP will finish with a worldwide total of between $8m and $8.5m, which is obviously down on SF's haul, but the latter's was unexpectedly huge. Few expected SP to get really close to it. I don't think, let alone match it or surpass it. In which case, SP has performed perfectly well - although how much 'real' profit it's made is a good question; we'll have to see when that sort of information leaks out.

If SP can make just over $8.5m worldwide, though, it'll inch ahead of Inside Out and finish in sixth place for the year (assuming Star Wars will finish in second, third or fourth or - more likely methinks - first place), which wouldn't be bad at all.

Yes a worldwide gross of $850 mil (not $8.5 mil as you specified ;) ), is still a very good total, its just that the budget was so massive, that it negates the gross somewhat.

As everyone in the film trade has been saying, EON need to keep the budget for the next film to somewhere around the $200 mil mark.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    mepal1 wrote: »
    As everyone in the film trade has been saying, EON need to keep the budget for the next film to somewhere around the $200 mil mark.
    NO. Keep it to $100 mil. Give us a lean, mean fighting machine like LTK again. Great script, great locations, less production. Let a talented yet non-superstar dude direct it (Like Tom Tykwer-?). Time for a 21st Century version of FYEO (minus the disco beat)!
    I agree, i don't need all that big blow up action. Now as i rewatch the movies, im really more interested in searching for new stuffs in other scenes.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    chrisisall wrote: »
    NO. Keep it to $100 mil. Give us a lean, mean fighting machine like LTK again. Great script, great locations, less production. Let a talented yet non-superstar dude direct it (Like Tom Tykwer-?). Time for a 21st Century version of FYEO (minus the disco beat)!

You mis-understood my post.

I didn't mean they should spend $200 mil, i was merely stating that at the absolute max they shouldn't spend more than that figure. Like you said a taut action thriller with a good story line can be made for a lot less than what EON spend on the current Bond's.

:)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm kind of interested to see the direction 'Bond 25' goes in now that we'll expect a much lower budget. Let's see some tight, inventive sequences that don't have to rely on the biggest of action set pieces this time.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Watch as Bond galavants around telling pretty women that revenge is never the answer while simultaneously popping off his Walther into faces of bad men who've done him wrong.

--Lo0k UP!
    Look 0UT!
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 6,601
    I see it at 830 mill at the end and IMO, to rate the success, we shouldn't take into account, what it costs, because audiences don't care about that. By pure result, its a great success, considering how low some of the ratings are. People still went to see it and not only once. It has legs despite the disappointing overall consens.
    Plus wasn't Jurassic World, Minions and Inside out in 3D? And Avengers as well? Bond doern't have that advantage.

Whether or not they expected more is another story.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited December 2015 Posts: 11,139

You're not going to get a Bond film made for 100 million. That is absurdly low. The new power rangers film is costing just under 100million and even that's low for that sort of film, compared to the new teenage mutant ninja turtle films that have a budget of around 130 million. There's just no way you're going to get a Bond film for a 100 million. It needs to be kept around the 200 million mark.
    I think Bond 25 will not have the scale of Spectre next time around? Have to see about who takes over from Sony? Hopefully no writer's strike? And also hopefully DC will have his final movie which i look forward to. So from the movie studio point of view i think the budget will be around £150 - £175 million for Bond 25?
    That 25 million chase was so not worth the money, if you really have no action scene then do not spend that amount of money on it. Even if I am sure that FIAT and some phone-provider made a considerable donation towards that boring bit of Rome nothingness.
    I know, in times of crashing cars and over the top car action, this must have looked a bit meh, but for me, this chase is one of the highlights. Why? Its beautifully filmed, for once, you can follow what is going on, I love the music gong with it and the humour.

Its more beauty and art then cracking action.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 389
    I think 200 million is enough money to produce a spectacular Bond movie, but I think there won´t be Bond movies under 150 million anymore.
    BTW, I believe that SP will have made about 815 million at the end of this weekend, so there is still a good chance to get 850 million.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,988

Good to see you around @St_George! most fascinating in that list:
    Out 1, noli me tangere
    runtime, 12 hours! and it made money!

I find that 'domestic' an irritating term. I'd read that as 'the domestic marked of said film', not by definition the USA. But I guess that's just my point of view. I think Spectre is still doing well. Just came back from a sold-out viewing..
    Sunday numbers is in though some of them are just estimates atm

Current total: $820,567,660 worldwide

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm
    Yes, looks good- Maybe 850 is possible.

'Spectre' Tops $820M Global

Spectre keeps on ticking as it plowed past the $820m mark at the worldwide box office as of today. It earned $4m for the weekend (-28%) and will hit a new $190.8m cume by tomorrow

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/12/13/box-office-hunger-games-tops-weekend-spectre-tops-820m-global/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 154
    Folks are saying that the next Bond movie will have a smaller budget and, thus, a smaller scale. The next movie should absolutely have a smaller budget but that doesn't mean it'll have a smaller scale. The last two Bond movies, in my opinion, have wasted their budgets. Mendez simply doesn't know what to do w/the money and he blows it.

We need a more creative director who knows how to put the money on the screen. If we look at the budgets for the Brosnan Bonds, even after adjusting for inflation, they were very reasonable but still delivered spectacle and scale.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    CR has the smallest budget of the Craig era and yet is the best and looks the most expensive. Bond needs a smaller budget of around 200 million no more and really needs a new director.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!

Yes a worldwide gross of $850 mil (not $8.5 mil as you specified ;) ), is still a very good total, its just that the budget was so massive, that it negates the gross somewhat.

Oh yes, good point. Was a little tired when I wrote that last night. Well, I'm not an accountant - perhaps for obvious reasons. ;)

Good to hear SP's passed the $820m mark now. Could it well pass $850m then...?

• St_George wrote: »

Oh yes, good point. Was a little tired when I wrote that last night. Well, I'm not an accountant - perhaps for obvious reasons. ;)

Good to hear SP's passed the $820m mark now. Could it well pass $850m then...?

I think so, maybe even 870 million.
    Anybody know the UK numbers for the weekend and total? @mepal1?
    If those US estimates prove to be accurate, then that is a little bit better than expected for SP this weekend in the North American market.
    It may seem a little trivial, but its important for the film to still be doing reasonable business, as this has an impact on how many theaters that the film will hold onto in following weeks.
    It really does look like now that somewhere around $850 mil worldwide will be the realistic end figure for SP.
    Curious to see what the figures for the International breakdown are. I don't expect to see much of a box office coming from Japan though.
    Anybody know the UK numbers for the weekend and total? @mepal1?

Not as of this moment, but should hear something in a few hours time, hopefully!

• Now at a total of $820 million, SPECTRE's stats :

Passes OP in US adjusted dollars (hasn't updated to 190 yet), with QOS up next:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=jamesbond.htm&adjust_yr=2015&p=.htm

Now certain to pass LALD in worldwide adjusted total in the next few days to become the 4th highest grossing Bond of all time, where it will finish.

http://www.007james.com/articles/box_office.php

SPECTRE also becomes one of the top 50 highest grossing films of all time, coming in at 49. (And if you take out all animated/cartoons, its the no.39 live action movie of all time)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_films
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098
    SP International grosses for major BO territories:-

weekend gross / running total

UK:- $1.2 m / $141.8 m or approx £93 m

Germany:- $2.2 m / $63.9 m

France:- $1.4 m / $34.7 m

Australia:- $1.2 m / $22.7 m

Japan:- $2.3 m / $12.5 m

Incidently in the Netherlands SP is still No.1 film after 7 weeks with a total of $18.1 m

I believe that SP ended in China with a gross of $84.7 m
    They sure should bother to give them a premiere next time.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    They sure should bother to give them a premiere next time.

Eh, sorry what do you mean? Give who a premiere?

The Netherlands ;)
    Germanlady wrote: »
    The Netherlands ;)

OK, thanks for the answer. :)