SPECTRE Leaks Discussion (allowed on ONLY this thread) MAJOR PLOTLINE SPOILERS!

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Why are we arguing over whether it's Spectre or SPECTRE? Who cares? Let people spell it how they want to spell it.
    The question was, for people who have read the script, was there any indication whether the organisation was described as SPECTRE or Spectre and also if there was any explanation behind the name.

All shall be revealed in time. ;)
    JCRendle wrote: »
    Why are we arguing over whether it's Spectre or SPECTRE? Who cares? Let people spell it how they want to spell it.
    The question was, for people who have read the script, was there any indication whether the organisation was described as SPECTRE or Spectre and also if there was any explanation behind the name.

No and yes there was in the October version but not in the December one.
    doghouse wrote: »
    I give up. You guys clearly aren't trying to understand what I'm saying.

Almost all movie titles written correctly are all caps, that is all.

No they're not. Going by that logic most actors, directors, and key grips names written properly should be all caps as well.
    doghouse wrote: »
    I give up. You guys clearly aren't trying to understand what I'm saying.

Almost all movie titles written correctly are all caps, that is all.

No, they are not. Take a look at IMDB. Or at this page: http://oscar.go.com/nominees Or dozens of other trustworthy movie sites.
  • Maybe Adele will channel Aretha Franklin and sing :

"S-P-E-C-T-R-E
    Find out what it means to me
    S-P-E-C-T-R-E
    Take care, ESB"
  • Nice suivez!!! Totally just noticed that SPECTRE is just pig latin for respect....or almost.

RE..SPECT..RE
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Oh, now I get it! Sorry, a bit slow. Yes, nice one.
    One other thing that the script just screams - it defies Newman to not do an all-out Bond theme more often than not. Are the writers trying to tell the composers something, perhaps?

What I like is that it still feels very Bondian without dipping into the generic Brozzer-style morass where Arnold HAD to apply the theme just to remind us what kind of film we're watching. I don't like his scores all that much but he was in a difficult position and lacked the talent that Barry had to calmly absorb whatever was on-screen and elevate it.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Once again we are removing discussions from this thread alluding to the leaked material and how to obtain it.

This is strictly forbidden. Please read the forums policy.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10474/mi6-policy-on-spectre-sony-leaks-updated-1-1-15#latest
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 267
    NicNac wrote: »
    Once again we are removing discussions from this thread alluding to the leaked material and how to obtain it.

This is strictly forbidden. Please read the forums policy.

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/10474/mi6-policy-on-spectre-sony-leaks-updated-1-1-15#latest

As long as this thread can remain cause everyone who knows about the leaks will just have to suffer in silence and more people will probably post spoilers on the threads that don't allude to the leaked material because they have nowhere else to post them or discuss them.
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering
    I read the posts that were deleted. I think the issue was that they trying to tell a poster where they may obtain the script. Someone on IMDB actually suggested people sign up here on ask for the script.....

I am sure we can still discuss the leaked plot line in this thread only otherwise this thread would have been closed a long time ago.
  • I finally found the December 1 draft, and for the most part I absolutely love it. The first two acts are, without a doubt, the most “classic Bond” of the Craig era. Everything about it screams old-school Connery: the SPECTRE meeting in Rome, the Aston car chase (which should be hilarious as well as thrilling), the chase through the snowy landscape, the train fight, etc. Even the third act contains some great old-school stuff, including the villain’s lair and the villain inviting Bond and the girl to dinner.

I could do without a couple things towards the end, however. The whole “Bond and Blofeld being foster brothers” is actually done pretty well – so well that they almost pull it off convincingly – but the fact remains that the head of the biggest criminal organization in the world being the foster brother of the MI6 agent trying to take it down is a coincidence of epic and utterly unbelievable proportions. It’s just impossible. It’s meant to lend some more layers to Bond’s past and, in turn, his psyche, but it ultimately just doesn’t work.

Also, I’m not thrilled with the whole “Bond saying his gun in the river and saying he doesn’t need it anymore” moment. In Skyfall, we finally set the pieces up for Bond to actually be the Bond we know and love, and now one movie later it seems like he’s retiring again. Maybe he’s not but that is certainly the vibe I’m getting. So it just seems like we’re throwing all the Skyfall setup out the window.

All in all, though, I’m in love with about 95% of this script. If done well, it might even top Skyfall (which is quite a feat, in my eyes).
  • In your opinion, where does the third act start? It can be after the train fight or when Bond is back in London. And the second act? In Rome or in Austria?
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,160
    Second act starts right before the meeting in Rome
    Third act starts when they are picked up at the deserted train station, IMO.
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    @Zekidk I think the third act starts when they meet Oberhausser , everyone has there opinion
  • IMO it is when they arrive at the deserted station, but I would set the begining of the second act when he arrives to Austria.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 669
    I agree with ChampionAlonso - the second act starts when Bond arrives in Austria and the third act starts when Bond and Madeline arrive at the deserted train station.
  • Binny_BondBinny_Bond Bucks, UK
    Having observed this thread for a while and not posted on the forum before, I feel very excited by some of things I've read about SP,
  • @Binny_Bond: I’m excited too. I think Bond fans are in for a real treat!
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    I finally found the December 1 draft, and for the most part I absolutely love it. The first two acts are, without a doubt, the most “classic Bond” of the Craig era. Everything about it screams old-school Connery: the SPECTRE meeting in Rome, the Aston car chase (which should be hilarious as well as thrilling), the chase through the snowy landscape, the train fight, etc. Even the third act contains some great old-school stuff, including the villain’s lair and the villain inviting Bond and the girl to dinner.

I could do without a couple things towards the end, however. The whole “Bond and Blofeld being foster brothers” is actually done pretty well – so well that they almost pull it off convincingly – but the fact remains that the head of the biggest criminal organization in the world being the foster brother of the MI6 agent trying to take it down is a coincidence of epic and utterly unbelievable proportions. It’s just impossible. It’s meant to lend some more layers to Bond’s past and, in turn, his psyche, but it ultimately just doesn’t work.

Also, I’m not thrilled with the whole “Bond saying his gun in the river and saying he doesn’t need it anymore” moment. In Skyfall, we finally set the pieces up for Bond to actually be the Bond we know and love, and now one movie later it seems like he’s retiring again. Maybe he’s not but that is certainly the vibe I’m getting. So it just seems like we’re throwing all the Skyfall setup out the window.

All in all, though, I’m in love with about 95% of this script. If done well, it might even top Skyfall (which is quite a feat, in my eyes).

I've only read the early stages of the Dec 1st draft (its a lot of reading ;) ) but I have read the shooting outline twice.
    Great summary above. Yes there is quite a lot to like. It does seem that we might get that classic Bond danger-fantasy-excitement-humour mix back in a big way.
    Agree, the foster brother angle seems entirely unnecessary, but it does seem that with the latest draft (the Dec 1st one that we are all discussing) that the personal drama angle is being kept in check, and not overplayed.
    The gun in the river thing; yes agreed, there is danger-Will Robinson here, but again it does seem the any soppy drama may also be under control here too.

What I am encouraged by is that Bond does seem to have his mojo intact from start to finish.
    This could be a great Bond film.
    I think Eon has been listening, ie time to get back to good Bond-on-mission adventure.
    I can thus allow some dramatic indulgences, as long as they don't take over the film, and I honestly and truly don't think that is going to be a big danger with this film.
    We shall see, and I am as cynical as anyone, when it comes to the personal drama overkill in the Craig-era.

Again, though, Mendes's films are about family units that are fractured in some way and are trying to find a solution (often in vain). It's a thematic through-put from the last film, and while I agree it's overbearing and daft in the earlier draft it's really been plied down for the Dec 1. Bond's response to it seems far more appropriate now.

Amazing how a change from a room full of photos to one photo can make a difference.
    IMHO its a bit of a gamble because its been introduced to add emotional content but if the audience just dont accept the premise, then the emotion is too late. (obvioulsy this was not an issue with SF) Can anyone help on one point. Does the stepbrother connection rely on coincidence ? as I am always very wary of scripts that rely on this in order to create the plot
    patb wrote: »
    Can anyone help on one point. Does the stepbrother connection rely on coincidence ?

They are no step brothers.
    Blofeld was adopted by Hannes Oberhauser, when he was a child, and that's why his new name is Franz Oberhauser.
    Bond never was adopted by Oberhauser. He was just there (maybe on summer vacation), and didn't even have much to do with Oberhauser. He remembers him, but they were not best buddies or something like that.
    So for Bond this is no big thing in the Script.
    hqdefault.jpg
    Ah, OK, cheers
    hqdefault.jpg

Well, if Nolan was helming this one, Caine may well have been the daddy. Thank Christ for small mercies.
    FourDot wrote: »
    hqdefault.jpg

Well, if Nolan was helming this one, Caine may well have been the daddy. Thank Christ for small mercies.

I did joke about that a few pages earlier. Have Michael Caine as Andrew Bond pop up and say It's okay Ernsty. :))
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited January 2015 Posts: 4,399
    I agree with ChampionAlonso - the second act starts when Bond arrives in Austria and the third act starts when Bond and Madeline arrive at the deserted train station.

ThreeActStructureFlat_zps18652310.jpg

the third act clearly starts on their return to London.

Act 3 is traditionally the shortest act of any story, as it really houses the resolution and conclusion to the story.... all of this happens once they return to London in the script.

ACT 1 - PTS thru the scene of Bond at his flat.

ACT 2 - Rome thru Escaping Oberhauser's Lair

ACT 3 - London thru end of the film.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 3,160
    HASEROT wrote: »
    Act 3 is traditionally the shortest act of any story, as it really houses the resolution and conclusion to the story.... all of this happens once they return to London in the script.

According to the leaks some studio executives were very disappointed with the 3rd act, which they put right after the train fight. Just sayin'.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »

According to the leaks some studio executives were very disappointed with the 3rd act, which they put right after the train fight. Just sayin'.

Which would probably support haserot's argument.