The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

Honestly, yeah, when I was like, twelve. Then that was it. Sure never gonna sit though one of those disasters again, that's two hours of my life!

I just think it's lame to keep seeing the pictures if you're ripping them.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Whereas spending your every waking moment ripping them but not seeing them is far from lame?

Whereas spending your every waking moment ripping them but not seeing them is far from lame?

Not ripping, stating the obvious :)
    AVB wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    He can't create an atmosphere in his films. Well, he did for GE to a degree, but here it's just bleh.

What about in the opening or during the poisoning sequence?

Obviously subjective, but I don't think the PTS was particularly atmospheric. It was rushed and poorly written IMHO. The B&W didn't add anything. Plus, as someone else wrote, the gunbarrell in the gents room was AWFUL. The poison scene isn't too memorable to me either. But I will give credit it where it's due; the stairwell fight and the scene directly after with Vesper in the shower was good.

I think I'm really referring to the film a whole, which I found badly paced and dislocated, rather than individual scenes, of which there were some good ones.

Very much agree with you about Martin Cambell. He is a pretty dull director IMO. GE is simply awful and CR is redeemed primarily by an energetic new Bond (a big improvement on Brosnan) and some good supporting actors . The direction is serviceable but far from stellar. Genuinely fail to understand why he is so widely admired.

By the time Dench's M was killed off in SF I was utterly sick of her - like you say, her voice and omnipresence in the Craig movies had become a real pain in the ***. Good riddance!
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Your powers of memory must truly be breath-taking to recall all the scenes you do 30+ years later.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I hate the way Brosnan just dumped that guy's body in a trash bin in TWINE- you'd never see Moore's Bond acting like such a cold bastard. What kind of role model is he being there? What does this say to the five year olds in the audience?
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I hate the way Brosnan just dumped that guy's body in a trash bin in TWINE- you'd never see Moore's Bond acting like such a cold bastard. What kind of role model is he being there? What does this say to the five year olds in the audience?

Don't even remember that scene. Was Craig just ripping off Brosnan then in QoS?
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    I know I complained about Moore's sideburns in OP, but his whole hairstyle bugs me. For some reason they decided not to give him a part, his hair is just combed straight back.

Also the "I never learned to read" line in MR. Just awful.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Getafix wrote: »

Don't even remember that scene. Was Craig just ripping off Brosnan then in QoS?

I think @crhisisall is referring to that clown Davidov. Most of TWINE is forgettable to me though.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I think @chrisisall is referring to that clown Davidov.
    Yeah, that's the one.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    But he was a villain, so it was OK with me. ;)
    He can't create an atmosphere in his films. Well, he did for GE to a degree, but here it's just bleh.

Obviously subjective, but I don't think the PTS was particularly atmospheric. It was rushed and poorly written IMHO. The B&W didn't add anything. Plus, as someone else wrote, the gunbarrell in the gents room was AWFUL. The poison scene isn't too memorable to me either. But I will give credit it where it's due; the stairwell fight and the scene directly after with Vesper in the shower was good.

I think I'm really referring to the film a whole, which I found badly paced and dislocated, rather than individual scenes, of which there were some good ones.

Very much agree with you about Martin Cambell. He is a pretty dull director IMO. GE is simply awful and CR is redeemed primarily by an energetic new Bond (a big improvement on Brosnan) and some good supporting actors . The direction is serviceable but far from stellar. Genuinely fail to understand why he is so widely admired.

By the time Dench's M was killed off in SF I was utterly sick of her - like you say, her voice and omnipresence in the Craig movies had become a real pain in the ***. Good riddance!

Martin Campbell is simply one of the best directors the series has seen, and this series has seen its share of mediocre storytellers.

Martin Campbell is simply one of the best directors the series has seen, and this series has seen its share of mediocre storytellers.

Take that possitivity somewhere else please!

And btw, you're wrong.

Take that possitivity somewhere else please!

And btw, you're wrong.
    He's just naturally inappropriate, it seems. [-(
    Was not the mediocre storytellers note not negative enough, cuz some of those guys were the epitome of meh to bad directors.
    "Where was the camera that filmed that??"
    I *HATE* when they use bit of the films to show something that only the audience was supposed to see! It's just lazy. NSNA went so far as to show us a WHOLE SCENE that way!! [-X
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Yep, that spoiled what was potentially a very good scene in YOLT, "just a drop in the ocean".

Meh, the rear projection was crap anyhow...
    Yep, that spoiled what was potentially a very good scene in YOLT, "just a drop in the ocean".

Meh, the rear projection was crap anyhow...

I like how SPECTRE have not only the resources to mount a full space program but the money left over to put up a satellite to film the Intruder capturing the capsule!

It's like watching an episode of Batman. :P

I'm curious, has every single movie, in part or in whole, been bashed on this thread by now?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Not quite, I think. TLD has escaped a good deal. And I won't start bashing that one; I love it. I don't think I can think of a negative .....oh! Yes I can.

Whitaker was complete horse's arse and not in the slightest bit menacing. His reverence for military commanders of the past only made him look silly, like a very big, annoying jerk who was still just a 7 year old brat at heart. I thought every bit of his role was just stupid buffoonery. I'd edit him out completely if I had the chance. (And then later, Joe Don Baker brings his not so charming or funny American jerk personality to Brosnan's tenure, too; ugh!!)
    @Getafix. How can you say "good riddance to a national treasure like Dame Judi?

Not quite, I think. TLD has escaped a good deal. And I won't start bashing that one; I love it. I don't think I can think of a negative .....oh! Yes I can.

Whitaker was complete horse's arse and not in the slightest bit menacing. His reverence for military commanders of the past only made him look silly, like a very big, annoying jerk who was still just a 7 year old brat at heart. I thought every bit of his role was just stupid buffoonery. I'd edit him out completely if I had the chance. (And then later, Joe Don Baker brings his not so charming or funny American jerk personality to Brosnan's tenure, too; ugh!!)

Can't argue with this.

I'd also lose the laser and 'salt corrosion' which is a hangover of the Rog era and the bit where the Aston drives the shed across the lake rather than just smashing out of the other side.

Also I don't think any of us would weep to cut the entire Julie T Wallsce scene.

And did I mention how much Kara randomly opening the cargo doors annoys me? If you're put in charge of a plane and haven't a clue what you're doing you wouldn't touch a single button but this gormless cow decides to do this. For some reason they zoom in on the word 'open' as if there is some sort of reasoning going on in her mind. What does she think she is opening? And why would you want to open anything in a plane that's airborne?
    Aaaargh!!!!

Other than that it's a pretty good entry.

Oh I forgot John Terry.
    TLD has escaped a good deal. And I won't start bashing that one; I love it. I don't think I can think of a negative .....oh! Yes I can.
    Okay then, every film has been trashed now!
    *and there was much rejoicing*
    Yes, let's forget John Terry. :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Can't comment ...by the quadruple my mind off Bon

I forgot about that... DC picked his bad habits then.

(I actually like that...shock element that worked for me.... sorry not negative)

I hate ...umm the wasted opportunities the filmmakers had with developing both PB and TD. Both deserved better.

I liked that, one of the few times the Broz Bond was tough. Liked it in QoS as well.

Can't argue with this.

I'd also lose the laser and 'salt corrosion' which is a hangover of the Rog era and the bit where the Aston drives the shed across the lake rather than just smashing out of the other side.

Also I don't think any of us would weep to cut the entire Julie T Wallsce scene.

And did I mention how much Kara randomly opening the cargo doors annoys me? If you're put in charge of a plane and haven't a clue what you're doing you wouldn't touch a single button but this gormless cow decides to do this. For some reason they zoom in on the word 'open' as if there is some sort of reasoning going on in her mind. What does she think she is opening? And why would you want to open anything in a plane that's airborne?
    Aaaargh!!!!

Other than that it's a pretty good entry.

Oh I forgot John Terry.

Duh! She's obviously trying to help James out by opening the cargo doors and making Necros fall out the back. It's totally clear to me.

I also hate Joe Don Baker but even more so when he's in a Brosnan movie.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    *Walks down corridor, passes thread, glances in, keeps walking, stops, walks back to door, enters thread....*

Daniel Craig is the worst Bond. And not just the worst, but the only one that I can't find a single good thing to say. The blue collar (/rebellious) angle doesn't appeal to me.

And I haven't liked any of the films. They are going more up themselves, with each passing film.
    With all due respect, Brosnan was clearly the worst Bond, and he drove a BMW.
    And we are fine with you saying that on this thread. :)

I can find nothing to complain about re Daniel Craig ... just his bad, bad haircut in Skyfall. That's it. But I hope to never see it that short again.