The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    I do remember he tells bond to "chill out" in TWINE.
  • Zukovsky. As well respected as an actor that Coltraine may be, his Russian accent is truly horrendous.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    What about Wade? I'm surprised no one's ranted about him yet. I don't mind him either but again I prefer him in GE.

JW is just as bad as that other JW. And the third.
    RC7 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with stating one's opinion as long as you're not being rude to anyone. There's politeness and then there's cheerleading, which ignores critical thinking.

This is a Bond fan forum, cheerleading goes with the territory. You'll find many if not all people in here show a level of critical thinking at times, but most members allow themselves to indulge in a little subjectivity. It's hard to quantify one's obsessions at times. I would highly recommend joining a general film forum if you want to debate everything on an objective level.

Well, that's your opinion, so now you want to censor critical thinking on any level, even on a thread about negativity? If you don't feel like you don't want to defend or debate your point of view, that's fine. You don't need to quantify your opinions, but stopping others from expressing theirs is wrong.

I agree. I'm just dubious about one thing - does the dictionary definition of 'critical thinking' state: 'regurgitating verbatim everything you read on Rotten Tomatoes'?

I think I state broad opinions about a picture, and if someone disagees, I can be specific. I thought I was being so when I explained that TND is working well enough until the HALO jump. Just like DAD is actually chugging along well enough until the Cuba dive. Literally.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    @bondjames I salute you, sir. Since this wonderful thread started, I've been gearing up to list the many, many failings of the dismal, dreary nonsense that is TWINE but have been putting it off as I knew it would take me forever. I really couldn't have put it better myself and agree with everything you've highlighted 100%.

The only thing I would add is the ridiculous plot to kill Sir Robert King which relies entirely on the £3m he paid for the stolen report being paid back in CASH, rather than, say, a simple bank transfer? And why is Bond even pretending to be a banker, apart from to allow PB to spout abysmal lines about 'perfectly rounded figures'?!? I understand this scene was heavily cut because of the decision to include the boat chase in the PTS so perhaps it was originally explained better but I guess we should be grateful this film isn't a second longer than it is already.

I remember walking out the cinema on opening night with a few friends and actually feeling EMBARRASSED that I'd invited them along to suffer this!
    To say nothing of the convenient yet wierd positioning of the third-story tunnel entrance/exit for the uber-silly boat that somehow flies out of MI6 and onto the Themes??????
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    @bondjames I salute you, sir. Since this wonderful thread started, I've been gearing up to list the many, many failings of the dismal, dreary nonsense that is TWINE but have been putting it off as I knew it would take me forever. I really couldn't have put it better myself and agree with everything you've highlighted 100%.

The only thing I would add is the ridiculous plot to kill Sir Robert King which relies entirely on the £3m he paid for the stolen report being paid back in CASH, rather than, say, a simple bank transfer? And why is Bond even pretending to be a banker, apart from to allow PB to spout abysmal lines about 'perfectly rounded figures'?!? I understand this scene was heavily cut because of the decision to include the boat chase in the PTS so perhaps it was originally explained better but I guess we should be grateful this film isn't a second longer than it is already.

I remember walking out the cinema on opening night with a few friends and actually feeling EMBARRASSED that I'd invited them along to suffer this!

Agreed @DrShatterhand and thanks. I too was embarrassed after watching for the first time, and found myself not mentioning it to casual fans who are friends. That's never happened before or since. I advocate strongly for QoS & LTK despite them not being liked by many casual fans.

The worst thing is that Marceau was wasted on this film. Electra King was a great villain and if she had someone better to play off of (rather than the insipid Carlyle-Renard) I shudder to think about how good she would have been. She's delicious in her all out crazy mode at the end.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    To say nothing of the convenient yet wierd positioning of the third-story tunnel entrance/exit for the uber-silly boat that somehow flies out of MI6 and onto the Themes??????

Tragically I find myself compelled to agree with you for once.

I struggle to decide which moment I find more bolllocks - the inanity of having a door 50 feet above the Thames or Bond driving for about 2 miles down a street in the boat.

It's a shame as these moronic moments bookend some fantastic stunt work. I think one of Pierce's finest moments in the role is getting hit with a faceful of Thames water as you see him bouncing over the waves for real.
  • To say nothing of the convenient yet wierd positioning of the third-story tunnel entrance/exit for the uber-silly boat that somehow flies out of MI6 and onto the Themes??????

Tragically I find myself compelled to agree with you for once.

I struggle to decide which moment I find more bolllocks - the inanity of having a door 50 feet above the Thames or Bond driving for about 2 miles down a street in the boat.

It's a shame as these moronic moments bookend some fantastic stunt work. I think one of Pierce's finest moments in the role is getting hit with a faceful of Thames water as you see him bouncing over the waves for real.

Not to mention the moment when Brosnan becomes possessed by Moore and does his tie up underwater. Doh
    ...but he splashes the clampers. I still remember the laughter and applause that got in the cinema in 1999.
    bondjames wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I can get into it in detail here but I may offend some so I won't.
    Oh go ahead! That's what this thread is for! To say what you like without reprisal.

Well here goes then. My rant on TWINE

Many have a go at DAD, but in my humble opinion, this utter shambles of an entry was chiefly responsible for accelerating Brosnan’s exit from the franchise & the eventual reboot. DAD just delivered the kick off the cliff.

One of the most embarrassing attempts at adding ‘depth’ to the Bond universe in its 50 year history, it’s a moronic cheesefest display of the first order that has the audacity to take itself seriously. It should be looked upon for what it is, a snoozefest travesty of near epic proportions.

Issues (starting with the worst for me at the top):

1. PB's acting - forced in so many ways. He delivers all the lines poorly, starting with the banker's office: "Perhaps you failed to take into account my...hidden assets." etc. Followed later by "uhh......he was buried with work" and even later by the infamous "Huh" moment when told by Renard of Electra's betrayal. In all instances he almost grimaces when delivering the lines. Awful. Nearly every 'tick' in his acting repertoire was up on the screen for us to see.

2. PB's facial expressions are almost tragi-comic in this one. From the aforementioned line deliveries to other scenes where he contorts his face in order to deliver supposed acting depth. Like in the final scene when he tells Renard that Electra is dead. Watch that scene carefully and please tell me why he has that face on. It's like he's trying to take a dump.

I lked PB in GE, TND & even in DAD, but he truly blew it here.

3. The high-school triangle romance that develops between Bond, Electra & Renard. Horribly done, and I honestly cannot watch the Baku confrontation scene with Electra without shifting uncomfortably in my seat. "Knew where to hurt me......cannot feel alive.....no point in living......" Bloody hell! What is this melodramatic garbage. Moreover it is Bond who was overdramatic and who looked like and acted like the school kid here, not anyone else.

4. Denise Richards. Horribly miscast and I actually like her in other movies (like Wild Things). Why did they pick her and why did they cast her in the role of nuclear physicist except as some kind of joke perhaps? Were they trying to make us suspend disbelief? People have a go at Halle, but this is pretty close to the bottom of the pile in my opinion.

5. Renard - Roberty Carlyle. Has there ever been a more boring villain in the franchise. This guy makes Almaric's Greene seem exciting. He is built up to be an 'anarchist'....a man who can feel no pain. I was hoping for quite a villain. When he finally appears he's quite insipid. So he can hold burning rocks.....big wow.......and I'm quite sure I saw him grimacing on several occasions when in fights with Bond. One of the franchise's worst.

6. Other villains - some of the most unmemorable in the franchise's history.
    Davidov – truly boring and has the unfortunate distinction of being shot in cold blood by Bond and thrown in a dumpster.
    Bullion? Who is this clown? Please tell me they're being serious. We've gone from Jaws to this goof? Only Elvis was worse.

7. The Action scenes - my word, where to begin...a series of truly sleep inducing by the numbers sequences that are lifeless, flat and tacked on.
    First is a ski sequence which embarrasses a series that was heretofor known for doing them exceptionally well. Poorly edited and choreographed and as dull as they come, it’s known foremost for that fact that 3 of the parahawks take themselves out without any help from Bond.
    There is also a drab scene in a caviar factory which serves as yet another advertisement for the latest BMW model and yet another showcase for Brosnan’s ability to run around with a gun in his hand. It’s hard to believe that an attack featuring helicopters sporting dangling circular saw blades can be so sleep inducing on screen. I remember the scene chiefly for the fact that said helicopters hovered inexplicably in the same place for ridiculously long periods of time, allowing Bond to run to his car and get a missile lock on one, and to blast the other one with a flare gun.
    Sandwiched in between these action disgraces is an encounter with a villain in an underground nuclear facility that I remember primarily for Bond running, jumping & sommersaulting around like an idiot.
    There was absolutly no tension in any of these scenes.

8. M - This was the entry that started the unfortunate trend of including more scenes of that national treasure, Judi Dench. Whoever came up with this bright idea needs to be fired, preferably with cause. It is something that we have had to endure for another painful 13 years, until she was finally dispatched, with my gratitude, in SF.
    M makes so many mistakes in this movie, apparently guided by her 'mother' (I'm shifting in my seat again as I remember the drama) instincts. This is the head of MI6? Please... I'm surprised she wasn't fired after this.

The only saving grace for me is Sophie Marceau as Electra King. This woman is full out crazy & megalomaniacal, and Sophie plays her for all it’s worth, reveling in her lunacy. One of the series’ best IMO, and it’s very unfortunate that her excellent performance was in this particular shambles of a movie.

Ultimately it's hokey tripe & I can't watch it without feeling annoyed.

There. I've let it all out. I'm done.

Great post, know that your time writing it was not waisted!
    When one reads not only the comments in this thread, but all pertaining to the Bond films, one wonders if the producers give as much thought to the series and upcoming Bond films as fans do.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Bond driving for about 2 miles down a street in the boat.

That mad me very mad because if Bond did it for 100 yards it was a cool little stunt. Doing it for 500 yards (and I believe even turning corners[!]) took it into ridiculousness. As much hate as the "Bondola" gets, at least it didn't violate the laws of physics when it was driving past confused dogs and double-taking pigeons.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Sark wrote: »
    and I believe even turning corners[!]
    Yeah, that was my biggest wtf moment in that flick.
    [-(
    CrabKey wrote: »
    When one reads not only the comments in this thread, but all pertaining to the Bond films, one wonders if the producers give as much thought to the series and upcoming Bond films as fans do.

They do, but they make the very clever decision to make the general audience rather than the die-hard core fans the people they need to please.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    I used to think I didnt mind TWINE too much but I find it very hard to argue with a single word of this. Do you fancy having a crack at DAD now just for my own entertainment?

In fact, I saw DAD a few weeks back and realized I actually enjoy watching it for what it is. Mindless, dumb entertainment that can't be taken too seriously. Many (including yourself) have critiqued that one far better than I could.

TWINE on the other hand, I personally just can't stand for all the above reasons and I just had to let it out. Quite therapeutic as I feel much better now.

Came to exactly the same realisation myself over Xmas. Saw DAD and realised that while it's total garbage, if you approach it as bottom feeding popcorn dross, it actually has a trash B movie entertainment value - so bad it's good kind of thing. TWINE on the other hand, as you rightly point out, makes the cardinal sin of taking itself seriously. Add in the endless faults, which you nicely summarise, and it is arguably the worst in the series. Certainly the most mind-drainingly tedious. I really dislike GE as well but TWINE trumps it on a number of fronts.

Love the way you reference Broz's ghastly acting and the omnipresent M. Btw those responsible for having M in every other scene are called Purvis and Wade and they've written the new screenplay for Spectre. Apparently you can't make a Bond movie without them.

This is such a great thread.
  • I actually really like TWINE but since this isn't the right thread to defend it, instead I'll change the subject.

I hate AVTAK. I think it's one of the worst Bond films and it might be the cringiest, most embarassing Bond films ever.

Some people often say it's an underrated gem and I agree it has it's highlights. Walken is great and Barry's score is great. But this isn't the thread to discuss the highlights. This is where we discuss the lowpoints and AVTAK has so many.

First of all let's look at James Bond. Bond is meant to be the definition of cool, a suave badass secret agent. Men are meant to want to be him and women are meant to be with him. James Bond in AVTAK is not cool. He dresses a deluded old man having a mid life crisis. Seeing Roger Moore's stunt double running around in tracksuits having shockingly bad fist fights, with dubbed "oofs" and "arghs" and "woahs" from the man himself, is cringe worthy. Through his many interpretations on screen, one thing about Bond has always been consistent. He's always been cool. James Bond in A View To A Kill is not cool. When a 58 year old post face lift Roger Moore slips on a pair of ridiculously naff sunglasses, it's hard to believe it's the same character as Connery in his DN intro, as Brosnan when he flicked his head to the side as bullets slammed next to him in GE, as Craig when he lept from a digger to a moving train and adjusted his cuffs in SF.

It sounds like I hate Roger Moore. I don't. I really like the guy and I think he was a great James Bond, which makes AVTAK all the more disappointing. He was way too old, completely wrong for the part at this point, and it doesn't help that rather than acknowledging his age and do something interesting, they just act like he's still in his 20s. It's embarassing,

In fact that's a word I think applies a lot to AVTAK. Embarassing. The shockingly bad fist fights. Moore's stunt double taking up the majority of screentime. A Bond pushing 60 pulling fit 20 odd year old girls with ridiculous ease. A disturbing sex scene where Bond bangs Grace Jones. The beach boys playing as Roger Moore's stunt double snowboards down a mountain towards an iceberg submarine with a union jack on the hatch. An embarassingly shit damsel in distress Bond girl who does nothing but need rescuing and fails to notice a massive fucking blimp floating up behind her!

In fact the action in the film is all below par, mainly because of the obvious stunt double use. But what's even worse is that this was the 80s. It's a golden age of action films so to see Bond, the original action hero, falling so far behind the competition at this point, is shameful. Police Story
    came out in 1985. Jackie Chan slid down a pole through glass and electrocuted himself, for real. He hung off the back of a speeding bus with an umberella, for real. Meanwhile James Bond needs a stunt double to chase Grace Jones up the stairs. In 1985 we had one of the most badass moments in film history in First Blood Part 2 with "Murdock, I'm coming for you", and Rambo was mowing down bad guys, blowing up boats and helicopters, just generally being a badass. Meanwhile James Bond is oofing and arghing and woahing yelling "get me off this crazy thing" while him (oops, sorry, his stunt double) is hanging off the back of a fire engine ladder after spraying a cop in the face with water, or jumping onto a boat and landing in a wedding cake.

And then there's the plot, which not only is a lazy Goldfinger retread, it also contains a pretty pointless plot about horse racing which takes up a good chunk of the screentime.

What's even worse is that this comes after the brilliant Octopussy, which is a great film would have been a brilliant end to the Moore era. But no, they made one too many and it resulted in one of the worst, most embarassing, cringe worthy entries in the series. It would've been better with Dalton but even then, the film would need to be reworked massively to be even halfway decent imo.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I actually really like TWINE but since this isn't the right thread to defend it, instead I'll change the subject.

I hate AVTAK. I think it's one of the worst Bond films and it might be the cringiest, most embarassing Bond films ever.

Some people often say it's an underrated gem and I agree it has it's highlights. Walken is great and Barry's score is great. But this isn't the thread to discuss the highlights. This is where we discuss the lowpoints and AVTAK has so many.

First of all let's look at James Bond. Bond is meant to be the definition of cool, a suave badass secret agent. Men are meant to want to be him and women are meant to be with him. James Bond in AVTAK is not cool. He dresses a deluded old man having a mid life crisis. Seeing Roger Moore's stunt double running around in tracksuits having shockingly bad fist fights, with dubbed "oofs" and "arghs" and "woahs" from the man himself, is cringe worthy. Through his many interpretations on screen, one thing about Bond has always been consistent. He's always been cool. James Bond in A View To A Kill is not cool. When a 58 year old post face lift Roger Moore slips on a pair of ridiculously naff sunglasses, it's hard to believe it's the same character as Connery in his DN intro, as Brosnan when he flicked his head to the side as bullets slammed next to him in GE, as Craig when he lept from a digger to a moving train and adjusted his cuffs in SF.

It sounds like I hate Roger Moore. I don't. I really like the guy and I think he was a great James Bond, which makes AVTAK all the more disappointing. He was way too old, completely wrong for the part at this point, and it doesn't help that rather than acknowledging his age and do something interesting, they just act like he's still in his 20s. It's embarassing,

In fact that's a word I think applies a lot to AVTAK. Embarassing. The shockingly bad fist fights. Moore's stunt double taking up the majority of screentime. A Bond pushing 60 pulling fit 20 odd year old girls with ridiculous ease. A disturbing sex scene where Bond bangs Grace Jones. The beach boys playing as Roger Moore's stunt double snowboards down a mountain towards an iceberg submarine with a union jack on the hatch. An embarassingly shit damsel in distress Bond girl who does nothing but need rescuing and fails to notice a massive fucking blimp floating up behind her!

In fact the action in the film is all below par, mainly because of the obvious stunt double use. But what's even worse is that this was the 80s. It's a golden age of action films so to see Bond, the original action hero, falling so far behind the competition at this point, is shameful. Police Story
    came out in 1985. Jackie Chan slid down a pole through glass and electrocuted himself, for real. He hung off the back of a speeding bus with an umberella, for real. Meanwhile James Bond needs a stunt double to chase Grace Jones up the stairs. In 1985 we had one of the most badass moments in film history in First Blood Part 2 with "Murdock, I'm coming for you", and Rambo was mowing down bad guys, blowing up boats and helicopters, just generally being a badass. Meanwhile James Bond is oofing and arghing and woahing yelling "get me off this crazy thing" while him (oops, sorry, his stunt double) is hanging off the back of a fire engine ladder after spraying a cop in the face with water, or jumping onto a boat and landing in a wedding cake.

And then there's the plot, which not only is a lazy Goldfinger retread, it also contains a pretty pointless plot about horse racing which takes up a good chunk of the screentime.

What's even worse is that this comes after the brilliant Octopussy, which is a great film would have been a brilliant end to the Moore era. But no, they made one too many and it resulted in one of the worst, most embarassing, cringe worthy entries in the series. It would've been better with Dalton but even then, the film would need to be reworked massively to be even halfway decent imo.

Christ even for me that's a bit strong. Comparing the hilarious Last Of The Summer Wine smackdown in the warehouse in AVTAK with the seminal stunt work of Police Story is harsh in the extreme. The PTS and finale of Police Story are phenomenal whereas in AVTAK we get Rog hanging in front of a blue screen going 'ooooh' while an antenna hits him in the nads.
    An embarassingly shit damsel in distress Bond girl who does nothing but need rescuing and fails to notice a massive fucking blimp floating up behind her!

Stacy Sutton remains the only person in history snuck up on by a blimp.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I hate her screaming " James!" Over and over !
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Imagine her in bed with him.
    I actually really like TWINE but since this isn't the right thread to defend it, instead I'll change the subject.

I can't disagree with anything you've said. I am a massive Roger Moore fan, but I cringe when watching this, which is only once every 5 years or so. The only thing I'll suggest is I think it is May Day who bangs Bond and not the other way round. A particularly disturbing scene to visualize.

I also think they made very poor use of one of America's greatest cities in San Francisco. There was so much more they could have done other than a naff firetruck chase. We should have at least had a great car chase on those streets to rival Bullitt.

The scene at Tracy's house is the absolute pits. Tucking her in and baking quiche. I realize he's old, but does Bond have to act like he's her father?

Moore was massive box office, and Cubby loved him, so this mess was made. I think they all are embarrassed by it (Moore certainly is).

Anyway, excellent summary.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    The second half of AVTAK does not even remotely feel like a Bond film. Everyone hit everything I wanted to say right on the head.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Imagine her in bed with him.

I realised AVTAK was pretty lax when I saw that both Roberts and Moore looked fully made-up despite coming out of a burning building and having direct contact with the flames. Honestly...there's not one mark of soot on either of them.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Oh, there is so much horribly wrong with AVTAK. Thanks for that, @thelivingroyale. I laughed quite a few times as you were spot on. I especially liked this: Meanwhile James Bond needs a stunt double to chase Grace Jones up the stairs. Sort of sums up the biggest problem with that film, doesn't it?

Stacy is beyond horrible; I think I put her even below Jinx. So annoying; there was not one moment in the film where I liked her character.
    You could run the Benny Hill theme over the last act of AVTAK and it would have only made it better.
  • Terrible one line alert.
    Skyfall, Scriptwriter Dr Seuss
    "I like you better without your berretta"
    Craig chewing with his mouth open/talking with food in his mouth in the after poker scene with Vesper. What was that about?
    Sark wrote: »
    Craig chewing with his mouth open/talking with food in his mouth in the after poker scene with Vesper. What was that about?

He's still rookie Bond, that's his excuse for that move. If he does that in SP, he's out.
    Haha I know you're being facetious, but really. He's a 35 year old "rookie" who doesn't know not to talk with his mouth full of food.