The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
edited January 2015 in Bond Movies Posts: 17,687
Hate that no-good Brosnan and his metro-nonsense so-called Bond movies? Member of CraigisnotBond? Wanna piss on Skyfall for its plot holes? You think Rog was a Nancy-boy Bond? Resent that Aussi fellow? Think Sean sold out after Thunderball?

Well then, this is the place you can throw it out there for discussion in its purely most negative form! Cry havok and let slip the dogs of disgust!

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Dogs of disgust, eh? Woof! :)
    Thanks, @chrisisall. A totally approved bashing, whining, just plain complaining thread. Debates welcome.

And I will start simply by saying that although with possibly two admirable qualities (looks and fighting skills), I find Lazenby so lacking in OHMSS that I never feel that he is Bond. That is such a strong weakness, his inability to give me a sense that he is James Bond, that it takes away quite a lot from the fine aspects of that film (Diana Rigg's stellar performance, great supporting cast, cinematography and soundtrack). I know many love this film and he has a fair share of supporters who like his Bond (still a minority, let's face it). But he is the one Bond I can barely stand to watch. Yes, this film has a downer ending that I would have preferred strongly to have been in the PTS of DAF instead. But even with that, just having Lazenby as Bond takes away from this film enough to make it really unenjoyable for me to watch him trying to be Bond. So my biggest whine as a Bond fan is Lazenby's performance. Pity because it pulls the film right down. There is my piece on that.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I hate Quantum of Solace.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dalton is a loss. He can't act, he can only over-act. Bond isn't Shakespeare In The Park, but clearly Dalton thought otherwise. Like Elektra said, he deezgusts me.
    You are hilarious, chrisisall. Tongue so firmly in your cheek there, it looks like you have your whole cigar (Brosnan prototype cigar) in your mouth. Ha!

I intensely dislike some of QOS, jake24. Mainly the stupid, annoying editing. Bits and pieces of it I like. It is a mixed bag for me.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I do not particularly care for that man Grace Jones.

And Madonna. Can't forget Madonna.

Everyone else I'm generally OK with.
    Dan has what- three lines in QOS???? He's like a shorter Ahnult through that one. How can such a short movie seem so looooooong? It's like watching a Cliff Notes version of a Bourne movie. :P
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Good ones, Kerim. Grace is still just yukky/scary for me. Not appealing.
    And Madonna, although I was not totally bugged by her, just takes the movie away from itself 'cause we immediately think "Oh. Look. It's Madonna. Uh huh ..."
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    In coming years people will come to hate SF (maybe overstating it but thats what this thread is for ;) ).
    Every time they watch it they'll find themselves shouting "Why is Q so stupid?!" "How the hell could Silva know that?!" And "oh come on!" As the plot holes big enough for Dalton to wheelie a semi truck through become more and more obvious with repeated viewings.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    Dalton is a loss. He can't act, he can only over-act. Bond isn't Shakespeare In The Park, but clearly Dalton thought otherwise. Like Elektra said, he deezgusts me.

You deezgust me! JK ;)

This is so refreshing to have a thread for negativity only. Much better than constantly opening appreciation topics to find one post after another bashing the appreciatee. I shall use this valuable resource the next time Silva's powers of omniscience/-potence get me so worked up I just can't take it anymore!
    Oh how I love Skyfall. I do.The plot holes don't really bother me, not when I first saw it or now.

BUT I am with you on Q. He was a stupid, stupid boy - not such a clever boy at all, in Skyfall. That had better be rectified in SPECTRE.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I can't stand The Man With The Golden Gun. It's everything a Bond film shouldn't be. It's a disgrace to Fleming. It had great potential but squandered it on stupid humor. Bond wearing a third nipple, JW Pepper's silly return and the biggest problem of all. Mary Goodnight. She kills the movie with her stupidity. Anya and Jinx are Shakespearean grade compared to her. I think this movie created the "Stupid Blond" Stereotype. This movie is shameful. Moore and Lee can't even save it. I compare this film to CR-67. No wonder half the cast was so angry you could see it in the performances. Moore is pissed at goodnight when they meet and Bernard Lee is pissed at everyone. Even Lois Maxwell was irritated.

Die Another Day might be mediocre but it's way better than TMWTGG.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I hate Caroline Bliss.
    I rather agree with much of what you said, @Murdock. TMWTGG is low on my list. I was annoyed and at times actually pissed off watching this film the first time I saw it (strong enough negativity for me to remember that from decades ago).

Caroline Bliss is cute but a very stupid, annoying character - a bimbo, stereotypical that was outdated for its time even.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,588
    I think Tanya Roberts and Denise Richards were the worst Bond girls in two of some of my favorite Bond movies.
    I think Jinx is one of the very worst characters, and most badly written characters, of the entire series.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,687
    I hate DAD. Brosnan is fat and he sleepwalks through the whole thing. He used his mobile to phone it in. It's slow & boring and drab and if Brosnan had at least SEEMED like he cared at all I might be able to tolerate it but it's as clear as crystal that he was merely collecting a paycheck for a role he'd lost interest in.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 10,588
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I hate DAD. Brosnan is fat and he sleepwalks through the whole thing. He used his mobile to phone it in. It's slow & boring and drab and if Brosnan had at least SEEMED like he cared at all I might be able to tolerate it but it's as clear as crystal that he was merely collecting a paycheck in a role he'd lost interest in.
    I wouldn't go as far as to say he'd lost interest in the role. Brosnan was looking forward to making another film after DAD, before they decided to reboot.
    Honey had white-gir'ls-a*s syndrome.
  • Contrary to what I've seen some argue, I think a different actress could have done okay with the exact same dialogue Jinx was given—still rubbish dialogue, though—and that Halle Berry's terrible performance is at least 96% of the reason the character is so obnoxious.
    Do we actually need a thread like this? Only going to cause problems i'm sure!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RogueAgent wrote: »

It's necessary because a few threads got derailed badly from someone constantly hating on Moore.
    Murdock wrote: »

It's necessary because a few threads got derailed badly from someone constantly hating on Moore.

I would have been no nonsense and put that person in the diplomatic bag! B-) ;)
    We can stand to have a bashing, negative thread just to accommodate all that negativity that apparently cannot be contained on topic on other threads. :) As well as being slightly cathartic, in a way.
    Murdock wrote: »

I would have been no nonsense and put that person in the diplomatic bag! B-) ;)
    Instead of Moore, they should have cast Bruce Lee as Bond. That would have made Bond a real fighting bada*s!
    Contrary to what I've seen some argue, I think a different actress could have done okay with the exact same dialogue Jinx was given—still rubbish dialogue, though—and that Halle Berry's terrible performance is at least 96% of the reason the character is so obnoxious.

I basically agree. When given such obvious and crass lines as she was its best to play them subtly. We all know what you mean when you say "thats a mouthful" and "I get the thrust of it" you dont have to emphasize it.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Was watching die another day and her line readings are just bizarre. I would love to know what went on in dailies and in the editing room when several people both saw and heard her.
    Sark wrote: »
    When given such obvious and crass lines as she was its best to play them subtly. We all know what you mean when you say "thats a mouthful" and "I get the thrust of it" you dont have to emphasize it.
    The added emphasis is clearly for the 13 year olds.
    :|
    I blame Tamahori for either directing her to portray the words with that emphasis/attitude/personality or for allowing her to do so.
    I think in the end most things can be blamed on the director.
    Yes, the director and EON.