The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

Why the f*ck does anybody like GF? Such a boring film, Bond is stuck for 50% of it, and Goldfinger is a piss-poor villain. Stupid f*cking movie.

I like GF a lot, it was an immense blockbuster in it's time and to me, a pretty good story. Perfect? No, but pretty fun and an awesome villain and henchman.
    andmcit wrote: »
    I just don't get SF at all nor the intense love for it - really I don't.

Bond founders around all macho in it like some Duracell bunny always on the go but is embarrassingly useless in any effectiveness in the delivery of his duties and badly fails in the key task of protecting M.

This is the first ever incident in the series, reboot or not, of this level of professional incompetence unless you're counting Tracy or Vesper which are personal failures.

This is the guy that on other days saves the whole world from meltdown countless times without breaking a single fingernail ffs!!

The supporting key players in MI6 were having a bad day at the office too and should all be put on suspension pending an enquiry into how the head of a key government security and protection agency can be permitted to die in a chapel in the back of beyond in Scotland with only one guy to protect them where there are legions of trusted personnel in the armed forces etc who wouldn't be remotely sympathetic to Silva.

Even in his ineptitude Jonny English (never watched it I may add but know the character) manages to bumble the right end results but in SF Bond doesn't. He's a washout.

God it's nice to hear someone else say this. I totally agree. I got shot down in flames for saying exactly this when SF came out but what you are saying is so true. I don't understand why nobody notices how totally incompetent the whole of MI6 are in this film.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    @andmcit you're absolutely right. Bond failed at his only mission:protect M. Actually he failed at the PTS mission of recovering the agent list too. The Incompetence that led to keeping all your most secret undercover agents identities on one hard drive is unexplained. IMO M deserved all the criticism she got from Mallory and other MPs and certainly deserved to lose her job.

All: defending things you like from criticism is not what this thread is for. Im happy to let all the barbs for Moore go unanswered, but if this becomes a debate thread it's dead.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    I sensed the heavy hand of the studio over the entire Brosnan era. From the departure of Dalton, to the generally dreadful title songs, and imposition of lame actresses like Hatcher, Richards and the supposedly talented Berry, Brosnan's films feel like they've been assembled from a kit of parts delivered through the post.

I think you're correct here. If I'm not mistaken, MGM head honchos had EON over a barrel with casting and other decisions during this time as they were all on the verge of financial collapse. Only once Sony came into the picture and new funding was secured, could a new direction/path be forged with CR.

You could say "a gun-barrel" ;)
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,425
    Sark wrote: »
    @andmcit you're absolutely right. Bond failed at his only mission:protect M. Actually he failed at the PTS mission of recovering the agent list too. The Incompetence that led to keeping all your most secret undercover agents identities on one hard drive is unexplained. IMO M deserved all the criticism she got from Mallory and other MPs and certainly deserved to lose her job.

All: defending things you like from criticism is not what this thread is for. Im happy to let all the barbs for Moore go unanswered, but if this becomes a debate thread it's dead.

Exactly what I said. M totally f**** up and then makes this big show at the committee hearing like she did nothing wrong. The committee is not questioning the need for spies - it's questioning the total bloody incompetence.

God that film drives me up the wall - totally and utterly incoherent nonsense.

It's not even that Bond f****. M has him shot before he can finish the job.

Are you asking for someone to debate you on Skyfall or not? I like the picture and am perfectly content to do so, unless you're only interested in stating your opinions but not debating them.
    If you care to read the title again @doubleohdad it specifies that this isnt a thread to debate the merits of Moore or SF-it's for people to talk about things they cant stand. If you "can stand" the plot from SF then this isnt the right thread. Notice how Im not debating your hatred of Moore's films ITT.
    Okay so you're not interested in a debate. Understood.

I think SF is an imperfect but very strong film overall, but to each his or her own.

I don't hate Roger Moore films, just think they're very poorly done and slowly sunk the franchise into self-parody, and that Roger Moore rolling around on top of a train roof like he did on OP and many other silly moments in his Bond films were sad examples of the depths to which the franchise plummeted during those years.

In my opinion.
    No Im absolutely not interesting in debating anything in this thread. Im only responding to others hates to echo or elaborate in their hate, not to 'correct' them.
    I don't look at debates as correcting someone, it's a fair and polite exchange of ideas.
    No Im absolutely not interesting in debating anything in this thread. Im only responding to others hates to echo or elaborate in their hate, not to 'correct' them.

I love it. A thread where mindless positivity is actually a negative.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I thought we could debate, but I can where it is better if we do NOT. Just say our strong negatives, get it out, and others can say yeah or nay but not really debate, just move on to the next negative things we'd like to say. That works better.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    There isn't anything I hate about any Bond films, but one of the few times that I think at what could have been is DAF's lame pre-title follow up after the ending to OHMSS.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, the whole presentation stinks (DAF PTS). Meaning, I think it is a shame and I really intensely dislike (not to say hate) the ending of OHMSS being in that film. I strongly prefer that it would have opened DAF and DAF taken a far more serious revenge turn.
    Yes, the whole presentation stinks (DAF PTS). Meaning, I think it is a shame and I really intensely dislike (not to say hate) the ending of OHMSS being in that film. I strongly prefer that it would have opened DAF and DAF taken a far more serious revenge turn.

If you listen to the commentary on OHMSS, that's exactly what Hunt had planned.
    Dammit, a proper revenge follow up to OHMSS would have been amazing. I have come to enjoy DAF on its own merits - the perfect end of the 60s hangover movie. But a Lazenby Hunt-directed Bond would have been amazing!

Bond founders around all macho in it like some Duracell bunny always on the go but is embarrassingly useless in any effectiveness in the delivery of his duties and badly fails in the key task of protecting M.

This is the first ever incident in the series, reboot or not, of this level of professional incompetence unless you're counting Tracy or Vesper which are personal failures.

This is the guy that on other days saves the whole world from meltdown countless times without breaking a single fingernail ffs!!

The supporting key players in MI6 were having a bad day at the office too and should all be put on suspension pending an enquiry into how the head of a key government security and protection agency can be permitted to die in a chapel in the back of beyond in Scotland with only one guy to protect them where there are legions of trusted personnel in the armed forces etc who wouldn't be remotely sympathetic to Silva.

Even in his ineptitude Jonny English (never watched it I may add but know the character) manages to bumble the right end results but in SF Bond doesn't. He's a washout.

God it's nice to hear someone else say this. I totally agree. I got shot down in flames for saying exactly this when SF came out but what you are saying is so true. I don't understand why nobody notices how totally incompetent the whole of MI6 are in this film.

That's actually one of the themes in the film in a deliberate way, to further the idea that there needed to be a new M.
    Why did Hunt consider that? I don't like the fact he did as it would have been a move away from Fleming in an otherwise faithful adaptation.

That's actually one of the themes in the film in a deliberate way, to further the idea that there needed to be a new M.

@Andmcit's point is that it's not just M who is incompetent - it's everyone in MI6!

I've heard people criticise Bond for being incompetent in GF so many times but apparently getting M killed counts as a triumph. In any remotely 'realistic' scenario Bond would be court martialled and probably imprisoned for what he does in the final act of SF. It's just such narrative garbage.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas

Exactly what I said. M totally f**** up and then makes this big show at the committee hearing like she did nothing wrong. The committee is not questioning the need for spies - it's questioning the total bloody incompetence.

But that's doesn't make it a bad film ..just the dumb judgements of the characters if the film. Get what I'm saying? ..grant it SF has more plot holes than swiss cheese...
    mcdonbb wrote: »

But that's doesn't make it a bad film ..just the dumb judgements of the characters if the film. Get what I'm saying? ..grant it SF has more plot holes than swiss cheese...

The issue I have is that even though everyone in MI6 totally f***** up from start to finish this is barely acknowledged. M is depicted as some wronged warrior, standing up for trad values and MI6, when actually she has totally screwed up. Bond fails/ is foiled from getting the disk back. Q is a liability, as is Moneypenny. Bond gets the head of MI6 killed, while Mallory is an accessory to her death. And yet at the end there isn't a massive debrief - it's all slaps on the back as if everything went to plan.

It's just a weird weird movie, and not in a good way. It's lazily plotted and is profoundly patronising toward the audience.
    It's a balance, as essentially the same thing happens in TWINE but the story is told in a much more bland and uninteresting way.

The issue I have is that even though everyone in MI6 totally f***** up from start to finish this is barely acknowledged. M is depicted as some wronged warrior, standing up for trad values and MI6, when actually she has totally screwed up. Bond fails/ is foiled from getting the disk back. Q is a liability, as is Moneypenny. Bond gets the head of MI6 killed, while Mallory is an accessory to her death. And yet at the end there isn't a massive debrief - it's all slaps on the back as if everything went to plan.

It's just a weird weird movie, and not in a good way. It's lazily plotted and is profoundly patronising toward the audience.

I agree SF has a whole heck of a lot of things go SIlva's way in the end of the second act, but thematically the idea that MI6 needs a change is a big part of the undercurrent of the picture.

I agree SF has a whole heck of a lot of things go SIlva's way in the end of the second act, but thematically the idea that MI6 needs a change is a big part of the undercurrent of the picture.

I think it could/would have been more intersting if they'd addressed the issue of intelligence community incompetence more directly. In the wake of the Iraq mess this would have been relevant. But SF raises the issues but then just skates over them.

This is exactly how I felt on walking out of my first viewing - I felt cheated and genuinely surprised they'd let Bond screw up so much and have everyone complicit in the ineptitude with him - I wouldn't lend any one of them my car keys let alone walk my dogs. It is a very weird film which it seems you're not supposed to stop and think too much about but bask in the action and edginess of a slicker Bond presentation.

It seems @getafix and I must be in the minority of those that see SF this way? If Ironman had let a main character such as Pepper die at the end due to his inept decision making throughout it would surely fail the first screentest. They do these at EON still?
    I don't think they ignore them in SF. They actually have a public hearing and the head of the organization is fired.

In TWINE the same thing happens, essentially, and no consequences result. M gets kidnapped, a nuclear warhead is on the loose, Bond has innappropriate contact with the person he's guarding, he's cleared for action even though he's clearly not healthy, and a sub sinks in the caspian sea with absolutely no consequences on screen.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    edited January 2015 Posts: 757
    Every government and their intel fails in the mid to late 70s, not realizing Hugo drax is nuts and has a Death Star orbiting the earth. Jaws is also running loose despite the efforts of James Bond to kill him. In the end, drax is defeated, but jaws turns to the good side and bond dutifully fills out the appropriate paperwork signaling that jaws can live the quiet life with dolly and there won't be any more agents stupidly punching him in the mouth.

Is this negative enough?

Mod Edit - Negative yes. But swearing has been removed.
    Absolutely :)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Skyfail then :P
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MR is a near total loss. It wasted an excellent Barry soundtrack and awesome Meddings FX on a lame retread of TSWLM aimed at the Star Wars kiddie crowd. It is the single worst piece of crap EON ever commissioned, and killed my enthusiasm for more Bond movies at that time. Any positive feelings I had about Moore were erased. I became depressed. I began massing a fortune to buy & CRUSH EON & MGM, and the only reason I didn't follow through with my evil plan was that... well... Star Trek: The Motion Picture came out and distracted me...