The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Actually, that is a good opening, I thought.

Hard to stay negative with every single post on this thread!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Never Say Never Again is a cheap made for TV movie. Which is chock full of stupid humor. Bond wearing bib overalls, Nigel Small Fawcett...It's painfully unfunny and tries too hard.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Never Say Never Again is a cheap made for TV movie. Which is chock full of stupid humor. Bond wearing bib overalls, Nigel Small Fawcett...It's painfully unfunny and tries too hard.

Ah, Mr Bond. I'm having you in half an hour.
    Splendid, you're room or mine

Cringe*

That's a "dad" joke.
    Not to mention cruel to animals, which I will not forgive them for (forcing the horse to jump off the cliff; it was terrified).

Movie magic, love. They didn't actually send it off a cliff, it would have been something like a steeple-chase at worst.

NSNA is a very interesting film with two of the most loopy villain performances ever, and very funny turns from Fox, Atkinson, and Pat Roach. That being said Algernon is completely blood annoying.

Still, that film has more personality than a good bunch of EON efforts.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    FourDot wrote: »
    Not to mention cruel to animals, which I will not forgive them for (forcing the horse to jump off the cliff; it was terrified).

Movie magic, love. They didn't actually send it off a cliff, it would have been something like a steeple-chase at worst.

NSNA is a very interesting film with two of the most loopy villain performances ever, and very funny turns from Fox, Atkinson, and Pat Roach. That being said Algernon is completely blood annoying.

I think they did nonetheless force the horse to fall a considerable height. Didn't bystanders complain or something?

I am pretty sure it was not "magic". And, even if not sent off the height of the cliff, the animal was terrified, and even just that is not okay with me.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 1,146
    Yes, NSNA is not citizen Kane, but opening is cool, the death of Jack Pitachi was pretty fiendish and fun with the gag with the snake was wicked, and I liked the scene where he uses the cigarette case as a bomb. Sean felt like old Sean at times, even if the film never rises to the level of his pervious Bond films. It's a tribute to this films that this picture feels small comparatively, but it's more than able to do well compared to the absolute camp stuff in OP.

I'm honest enough to state that the opening gag in OP is fantastic, better than anything in NSNA, but they totally undercut it's coolness with the gas station gag, just like every other cool moment in the Moore films.

Anything cool must be made fun of.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    even if not sent off the height of the cliff, the animal was terrified, and even just that is not okay with me.
    I remember seeing it in the theatre and I had to stop for a second & try to reassure myself that the animal would be okay. Took me out of the movie, and for what? To scare an animal half to death? Not cool.
    The whole movie was not cool. NSNA should never have been made.

I'm with you, Four!
    You two have been reported to PETA. [-(
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,854
    Who's brilliant*******idea was it to bring Guy Hamilton onto the franchise? "Oh, I know, I'll take all the wonderful ideas of the first two, turn them on their head and making them nothing but pure stupidity! People will love it!" ***********

Edited for offensive language and remarks
    People will love it!

They did. And still do.

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,854
    Goldfinger was just **

Offensive language removed
    Without Goldfinger we might not be talking.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2015 Posts: 15,696

Without it we might not fall asleep after 30 mins during each rewatch. :)

I totally agree.

I don't understand the criticism of this picture while others with clown suits and gondola gags get praise.

This is one of the seminal Bond films. I don't like the other Hamilton Bond films, but that is another matter.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does not think too highly of GF. It never did anything for me really, despite it being lauded by many

I totally agree.

I don't understand the criticism of this picture while others with clown suits and gondola gags get praise.

This is one of the seminal Bond films. I don't like the other Hamilton Bond films, but that is another matter.

Because it's boring to watch James Bond sit on his @$$ for most of the movie. I wanna see Bond kick @$$ not be pampered by his villain. 8-|

I totally agree.

One thing I don't understand is why my criticism (what this thread is about) is always countered by lovers of what I'm criticizing. The point of the thread is to ridicule!

But, in all honesty, there's just little of Goldfinger I like. Bond does so very little throughout, Cec Linder is sh*t as Felix, I don't like Goldfinger himself at all, and don't find him anywhere near the interesting villain that everyone claims he is. Had he not said "No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!", we'd have all forgotten about him. Honest. Pussy Galore isn't a great Bond Girl. She's acts all tough for so little of her screen time, but it's about the only thing anybody uses to describe her. Honey Rider walked the line between tough and vulnerable throughout all of her screen time in Dr. No, and nobody seems to remember that because, dammit, Pussy Galore's so friggin' tough.

I think the good PTS and the DB5 have lulled us into thinking that everything else about the film is top-notch, when that's just not the truth. Save for the DB5, everything Goldfinger did right, From Russia With Love did better a year before.
    I think the good PTS and the DB5 have lulled us into thinking that everything else about the film is top-notch, when that's just not the truth. Save for the DB5, everything Goldfinger did right, From Russia With Love did better a year before.

Yep. Now we can understand why FRWL is Connery's favourite, ja?
    Murdock wrote: »
    Because it's boring to watch James Bond sit on his @$$ for most of the movie. I wanna see Bond kick @$$ not be pampered by his villain. 8-|

It's a gross over-exaggeration. He plays mind games with Goldfinger in that interim and has active ploys in play... it seems a bit closer to what the idea of Bond would be than him just continually kicking ass come what may. It's a lighter film than its direct predecessor but it's a more coherent and effective one than its direct successor.
    One thing I don't understand is why my criticism (what this thread is about) is always countered by lovers of what I'm criticizing. The point of the thread is to ridicule!

So the point of the thread is to just say things and not court discussion?
    It's to dump your displeasure. If some agree, then fine. There is no room for argument on this thread; it must be taken elsewhere. This is a Bash-Free Zone. ;)
    It's a gross over-exaggeration. He plays mind games with Goldfinger in that interim and has active ploys in play... it seems a bit closer to what the idea of Bond would be than him just continually kicking ass come what may. It's a lighter film than its direct predecessor but it's a more coherent and effective one than its direct successor.

It's not a gross over exaggeration it's the truth. As soon as the Aston Martin slams into the concrete wall the film comes to a dead stop and Bond is stuck in cement for the rest of the movie.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 4,622
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I don't hate any actors in the Bond franchise - (hate is a bit too strong a word to use, perhaps!) but I dislike Daniel Craig as James Bond. I would say it's 8 out of 10 in terms of dislike! I don't like his

His appearance (in a Bond context)
    His acting
    His lack of smooth charm
    I really disliked his short hair in Skyfall
    There's nothing I like about Craig's Bond.
    I also dislike his crude comments - using the f word - in printed interviews about Bond (although he seems polite in tv/radio interviews).

And I really dislike most of Eric Serra's soundtrack to Goldeneye and I really dislike Eon's dumb decision to move the gun barrel in the last three films.

And I hate -okay, perhaps hate is the right word! - Craig's gun barrel in CR set in a toilet. Hated that with a passion, I guess. That was the lowest Bond moment for me. But that's about it! Thanks for this thread. I've waited almost ten years to post how much I dislike Daniel Craig as James Bond so thanks!

Yes, I commiserate. Myself, I just make the best of the Craig-era. At least there is hope with SP. It might be the first we get to a normal Bond film, in the Craig-era, but then again, this being a negativity thread, SP might blow as much as QoS.

Craig-era film rankings.

QoS triple suck
    SF double suck
    CR single suck.

:(
    timmer wrote: »
    QoS triple suck
    SF double suck
    CR single suck.

:(
    SF is quadruple suck.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    It's to dump your displeasure. If some agree, then fine. There is no room for argument on this thread; it must be taken elsewhere. This is a Bash-Free Zone. ;)

Clarification, @chrisisall; This is a major debate-free zone, but it is for bashing and criticism.

Clarification, @chrisisall; This is a major debate-free zone, but it is for bashing and criticism.
    But not criticism of the bashing.
    Am I in error here?
    :-??
    I did not read it that you were criticizing someone who was criticizing the bashing. Oh, now my head hurts.
    At least one thing I dislike about each film.

DN -- The rear screen projection behind the Sunbeam.
    FRWL -- Bond's effeminate hand waving goodbye to the 8mm film reel.
    GF -- The instantaneous falling to the ground of the pretend-to-be-gassed soldiers.
    TB -- Super fast motion crash of the Disco Volante
    YOLT -- Blofeld's preposterous makeup.
    OHMSS -- Sped up film of Aston on sand making screeching noises.
    DAF -- Jimmy Dean and Charles Gray.
    LALD -- The exploding Mr. Big and product placement Chevrolets.
    TMWTGG -- The flying car and product placement American Motors autos.
    TSWLM -- Bond's yellow ski suit and Jaws invincibility.
    MR -- Jaws again, Lois Chiles, CE3K chime, pigeon, gondola, etc.
    FYEO -- Ruining a serious PTS moment with the Blofeld smokestack scene.
    OP -- Bond in clown costume--a metaphor for what has happened to the series.
    AVTAK -- Max Sennett fire engine bit.
    TLD -- Cello case chase and Aston in building on lake.
    LTK -- TD hair.
    GE -- Title song.
    TND -- Driverless BMW.
    TWINE -- Weak villain.
    DAD -- Invisible car and wind surfing.
    CR -- Miami airport sequence.
    OoS -- Title song and killing Mathis.
    SF -- Tube crash and Silva's ability to know what everyone will do at any moment.
    NSNA -- Title song.