The Bond Movies & Actors I Can't Stand (Negativity Only Please)

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    How is the yo-yo "unthreatening"? It's a bloomin' saw blade and its actually used to KILL SOMEBODY

It works very slowly and looks totally fake.

Isn't OP the movie where someone plays the Bond theme on a flute IN THE MOVIE???????
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,189
    How is the yo-yo "unthreatening"? It's a bloomin' saw blade and its actually used to KILL SOMEBODY

Isn't OP the movie where someone plays the Bond theme on a flute IN THE MOVIE???????

Yep...and Moore tosses him a coin before telling him "that's a charming tune"

*wink wink* :p

(I still prefer that to Laz's "other fella" line incidently)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Most of the outdoor scenes in India in OP are admittedly shameful. The Yo-Yo (I wasn't sure what you were on about before) is not one of the bad parts of the India scenes though. Suitably chilling, and killed Vijay horrifically if I recall.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »

Most of the outdoor scenes in India in OP are admittedly shameful. The Yo-Yo (I wasn't sure what you were on about before) is not one of the bad parts of the India scenes though. Suitably chilling, and killed Vijay horrifically if I recall.

Yeah but if something is in a Rog film doubelohdad has to tiresomely slag it off by law.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    At least he can slag away here. This is the one bashing thread, and we will have people repeating themselves here. :)

There is a good deal about OP I don't like, but the killer saw yo-yo wasn't a problem. No those were not incredibly slow and it was a horrible way to be maimed or killed.

My negativity this morning is that - although Roger wore them well, better than many could - I feel he has one too many "safari" style jackets during his entire tenure.

Yeah but if something is in a Rog film doubelohdad has to tiresomely slag it off by law.

If I'm wrong, defend your position.
    I have no issue with healthy debate.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

If I'm wrong, defend your position.
    I have no issue with healthy debate.
    The slagging on this thread stands. There will be no debates. This is a dump thread to share negativity. No one needs defend a word. No one should criticize a post.

Like Robo said, thank you for your cooperation.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    At least he can slag away here.

Fair enough. Except does he have to do it on every single thread?

My negativity this morning is that - although Roger wore them well, better than many could - I feel he has one too many "safari" style jackets during his entire tenure.

I think a certain Mr Partridge can set you straight on that point:

Anyway as I'm not allowed to debate with doubleohdad (and actually have no desire to as its incredibly tedious) back on topic.

I really hate that piece of music as Bond and Honey are escape DN's island that is repeated in FRWL.

I presume marvellous Monty wrote it but then why is it reprised in FRWL? Was Barry ill and they had to finish off the soundtrack so some bright spark just nicked this from DN? But I would have thought Barry could vomit a better 5 minutes of music from his sick bed than be reduced to having his name on a soundtrack featuring this abomination.

Here's one I havent seen mentioned but I'm amazed as I cant be the only one who despises it - the way the soldiers fall down in GF. I can just about buy releasing nerve gas into the atmosphere but for it to affect every single person at exactly the same time is just appalling. I like to think it was just poor acting on the part of the marines who were faking it but it was soooo poor even the gormless blondes of Pussy Galores Flying Circus shouldve realised something was up. Unless of course they radioed Pussy that it looked dodgy and she just didnt pass it on to GF so the whole plan would go tits up?
    That's cool.
    My post was criticized, so I was responding.

Anyway as I'm not allowed to debate with doubleohdad (and actually have no desire to as its incredibly tedious) back on topic.

I really hate that piece of music as Bond and Honey are escape DN's island that is repeated in FRWL.

I presume marvellous Monty wrote it but then why is it reprised in FRWL? Was Barry ill and they had to finish off the soundtrack so some bright spark just nicked this from DN? But I would have thought Barry could vomit a better 5 minutes of music from his sick bed than be reduced to having his name on a soundtrack featuring this abomination.

Here's one I havent seen mentioned but I'm amazed as I cant be the only one who despises it - the way the soldiers fall down in GF. I can just about buy releasing nerve gas into the atmosphere but for it to affect every single person at exactly the same time is just appalling. I like to think it was just poor acting on the part of the marines who were faking it but it was soooo poor even the gormless blondes of Pussy Galores Flying Circus shouldve realised something was up. Unless of course they radioed Pussy that it looked dodgy and she just didnt pass it on to GF so the whole plan would go tits up?

Weren't Pussy's girls' also in on the plan?

Here's one I havent seen mentioned but I'm amazed as I cant be the only one who despises it - the way the soldiers fall down in GF. I can just about buy releasing nerve gas into the atmosphere but for it to affect every single person at exactly the same time is just appalling. I like to think it was just poor acting on the part of the marines who were faking it but it was soooo poor even the gormless blondes of Pussy Galores Flying Circus shouldve realised something was up.
    Agreed, and it always bugged me too.
    edited January 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Getafix wrote: »

Weren't Pussy's girls' also in on the plan?

I've never thought so - they just took their orders from her didnt they? It would be a bit of a risk to let them all in on it. I've just realised my previous idea that they might have told her and she just ignored it doesnt work because Goldfinger and everyone else are listening to their transmissions.

The only two logical explanations I can come up with are:

1. Pussy switched the canisters, the soldiers were embarrassingly poor at faking falling over but fortunately the Circus girls were too stupid to realise.

2. It was a shoddily directed sequence and marks the moment when Guy Hamilton realised he could get away with phoning in his work and then hit the golf course which he then carried on for another 3 films.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    Another question about the GF climax is why they let Goldfinger break into Fort Knox in the first place? Why arrange for thousands of soldiers to participate in the charade, including crashing cars[!]? If Bond turned Pussy why not go to the FBI. Between the poison canisters on the plane, the model of fort knox, plenty eye witnesses, that would be more than enough to make an arrest.
    Sark wrote: »
    Another question about the GF climax is why they let Goldfinger break into Fort Knox in the first place?
    Some innocent soldiers got killed that didn't need to. Goldfinger, despite some iconic elements, basically sucks.
    But it needed to be exciting, darn it! It was never practical or feasible. :)
    But it needed to be exciting, darn it! It was never practical or feasible. :)
    If the story had been constructed to make Bond the HERO instead of a dupe being played, and let him actively save the day, it might have been worth something.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dalton had the worst "Bond Hair" :))
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Pussy galore and tilly masterson never had a threesome with mr bond
    edited January 2015 Posts: 12,459
    Worst Bond hair for me:

Connery in DAF (toupeee anyone?) And YOLT is a close runner up; especially his "Japanese" look
    Dalton in LTK - eech (how could they do that to such a handsome guy?)
    Moore in AVTAK - just too "patted perfectly in place"
    Brosnan in TWINE - a chopped up "businessman's haircut"
    Brosnan in DAD - partial complaint; only the Robinson Crusoe like scenes upon being released from captivity and torture (rest of DAD - re Bond's hair - was fine)
    Craig in Skyfall - just too close cropped, near military and not flattering

I'm kinda late but here goes
    Movies I hate : DAF, MR, DAD,
    Actors I hate Pierce Brosnan, Denise Richards, Terri Hatcher, Halle Berry, Charles Gray, Michael Lonsdale, Cic Linder, The Buffoon who played Leiter in DAF
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    The Buffoon who played Leiter in DAF
    I truly hated his Leiter too!!!
    X(
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    chrisisall wrote: »
    OHMSS69 wrote: »
    The Buffoon who played Leiter in DAF
    I truly hated his Leiter too!!!
    X(

Nah, the one in TB was sh*t. Complete sh*t.
    Block O Wood from The Living Daylights was the worst Felix. ;)
    The best Felix was from a s**t film (NSNA).
    Murdock wrote: »

Terry is truly abysmal. If only they'd thought about bringing back Hedison one film early.

I've always wondered why I found Felix a fairly dull and pointless character. The last few posts go some way to explaining it.

Jack Lord - Ok I suppose in a reliable sort of way. Sort of Yank version of Rory Kinnear (only clearly with more screen presence).

Cec Linder - a doddery pensioner who doesn't add a lot to proceedings.

Rik Van Nutter - a pathetic yes man, with shades of homoeroticism.

Norman Burton - A tubby buffoon.

David Hedison - LALD: mediocre actor who does what's required of him in a mediocre role. LTK: He does a lot better (apart from 'Oooohh hand me that picture of Della.') and this is probably my favourite Felix appearance of the series.

John Terry - Do I really need to elaborate on this one?

Jeffrey Wright - CR: He's quite cool in a reasonably written role. QOS: Again does ok with the material given to him but as usual with Felix it makes very little difference if he is there it not.

Personally if Felix just disappeared from the series I wouldn't shed a tear. Given the amount of times he appears you'd think he might rate as one of Bond's best allies but Quarrel, Kerim,Tiger, Draco, Tibbet, Saunders and Mathis all blow Felix out of the water whoever is playing him.

I'd rate Felix above Lieutenant Hip (Christ the Eiffel Tower taxi driver is a better ally than this moron) but struggling to overtake Vijay in the league table of allies. He's probably like the Aston Villa of allies - never really likely to go down but never going to come anywhere near the champions league places.
  • SarkSark Guangdong, PRC
    chrisisall wrote: »
    The best Felix was from a s**t film (NSNA).

I was about to lambast you for saying something positive, but yiu saved it at the end. ;) I agree.
    FourDot wrote: »

Terry is truly abysmal. If only they'd thought about bringing back Hedison one film early.

Hedison was too old for Felix in Dalton's time. Fine for Moore's era though. I cringed at his re-appearance in Licence to Kill. Maybe they should have gotten Tom Selleck to play Felix for TLD and LTK.
    Before Wright I'd always enjoyed Hedison's appearance in LTK the most of the Felix...i, to be honest. I don't think it matters that he's older than Bond, I could buy his and Dalton's relationship.

I wanted Dalton to headbutt Terry though.

Shame that Jack Lord didn't understand that it was the start of the James Bond franchise and not The New Adventures of Felix & Jimbo because he was really the most effective.

DAF guy and Rik Van Nutter are pretty bad too, although I think I'm the only person on the planet who has no issue with Lazy!Felix, a.k.a. Cec Linder.

My pantheon of grating Bond performances:

Most Annoying Bond: Brozzer in... possibly GoldenEye, paradoxically his best film but the most affected Bond performance. I nearly chunder when he does his "Bond. James Bond" with a head-wobble for each syllable. Connery's apathetic YOLT turn is a strong contender through.

Most Annoying Villain: Toby Stephens as Graves. If you want to do a sneering, knowing performance as a Bond villain look to Sean Bean, because Bean also knew how to be businesslike. Stephens' boiler-plate seems to be Ian McDiarmid in Return of the Jedi, there's nothing human about him at all. Jonathan Pryce and Robert Carlyle do much the same thing but are better actors and it feels like there's less of them in their films. You can also go full-bore into the realm of utter insanity and it'll work, like Louis Jourdan (a stretch but there's some weird-ass line readings) and his buddy Berkoff (who is just insane in real life), Walken, and Bardem. Stephens dithers, doesn't modulate, and fails horribly.

Most Annoying Bond Girl: I was going to say "Tanya Roberts: Nice to look at but you wouldn't want to own one" but Berry's turn as Jinx is a real cringe-inducer. Talisa Soto is utterly inept. Jill St. John is similarly grating. Hard to go past Gloria Hendry though. Just no.

Most Annoying Ally: Actually it's a strong department overall but I'll default to John Terry. Dalton was one film late with his "Just p*** off." I've not got a lot of love for Jack Wade though.

Most Annoying MI6 Staff Member: Geoffrey Keen and Sir Frederick Gray. A solid decade of "This is a catastrophe! I'm off to see the PM." I am disappointed that Broccoli never took the opportunity though to have a Frederick Gray/General Gogol buddy spin-off where they solve crimes and booze and get laid and whatnot.

Most Annoying Musical Moment: "Bang Bang Bang Bang" from the end of AWTD is a strong contender, but the the slide whistle triumphs over all.
    Hedison was too old for Felix in Dalton's time.
    I disagree, and FYI 50 is practically around the corner for you as well.
    :))