Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I don't think Skull is a poor film in and by itself but as an Indy film it is at times a fairly unpleasant experience. We all understand how difficult, close to impossible in fact it is to make us relive the heroic adventures of Dr. Jones when the man is past his retirement. That's why this film should have been made ten or twelve years sooner. But if they make a fourth Indy film and they actually sell it as an Indy film, they know we expect a great many things. After showering three films with fan love, many of us growing up with these films, we have earned some fan pleasing continuity with the character of Indiana Jones. Well then, Indy does stuff he normally wouldn't do, he doesn't do some of the stuff he normally would do, and we get characters that have no place in the world of Indiana Jones. If you want an old mentor gone silly, give us Abner. Make up a story about him vanishing, presumed dead, twenty years ago but secretly working for the Russians or something. And for the younger dude, why a teenager? Shorty is probably still alive and kicking somewhere. He wouldn't even have been 25 when this story takes place. The double-crossing partner is so useless as a character, and by now such a tiresome cliché, let's just drop him from the whole thing. I think Skull is beautifully shot, has a nice score and some good moments. I even think that Ford's age is the least of the film's problems. My biggest issues with Skull are these uninteresting characters we get from nowhere, characters that were never hinted at before, when other characters are theoretically still available. Also, the nuclear explosion makes for cool visuals and is indeed very much of the times, but tell me what it contributes to the story. Surely it could have been used a whole lot better than just to cover up Indy's most unlikely escape.
    Walecs wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Like Amy in The Big Bang Theory said, Indiana Jones is superfluous to the story: without him the Nazis still find the Ark and loose. He could have stayed home and nothing would have changed in the outcome. I think this is where Raiders of the Lost Ark fails. Otherwise I love the movie.

I disagree. In a deleted scene (which you margue wether it's canon or not), it's revealed that on a side of the medallion there's a sign that reads "Close your eyes when you open the Ark".

Moreover, hadn't Indy interfeared, they would have brought the Ark straight to Berlin, where it would have been studied and used as a weapon.

I am talking about the movie as it is, not a deleted scene. But nevertheless, Indie is still superfluous: the nazis and Bellocq would have got toe Ark anyway and died.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Walecs wrote:
    Moreover, hadn't Indy interfeared, they would have brought the Ark straight to Berlin, where...

... where they would have opened it at a big ceremony, killing thousands of Nazy's, including the leader himself, and saving the world from a lot of grief and suffering... ;)

Just out of curiosity @JohnBarryFan, what nationality are you?

Canadian.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't even think Ford's age in 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' was a huge concern for me, just...almost everything else.

Was Harrison Ford cast in that movie? All I saw was the young boy who aspired to take over...
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 1,639
    Weekends , x-mas , Easter......overrated , before you know it it's over.

As a wrestling fan it saddens me to say WrestleMania is overrated as well.......yes , Takers matches usually delivered but the rest , not so much.

Speaking of seat belts : back in '66 there was controversy cuz the Batmobile didn't have seat belts so they shot a brief scene with them putting the belts on ;)
    Was Harrison Ford cast in that movie? All I saw was the young boy who aspired to take over...
    I kid you not: when I saw that opening night and Shia grabbed the hat and started putting it on, I almost stood up and yelled 'DON'T YOU TOUCH THAT!!!'

Thankfully Ford grabbed it in time
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Master_Dahark, I actually forgot how the movie ended, so when I rewatched it the other day and the hat blows to Shia's feet, and I yelled out "Oh, you gotta be fu--"..."Oh, thank God Indiana stopped him."
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I kid you not: when I saw that opening night and Shia grabbed the hat and started putting it on, I almost stood up and yelled 'DON'T YOU TOUCH THAT!!!'

Thankfully Ford grabbed it in time
    I just envisioned you doing this in front of a packed audience in my head and now I'm cracking up! :))
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Master_Dahark, I actually forgot how the movie ended, so when I rewatched it the other day and the hat blows to Shia's feet, and I yelled out "Oh, you gotta be fu--"..."Oh, thank God Indiana stopped him."

This too. =))
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Rolf Harris What a sick Bas!!!!d. Very Sad Day completely awful for all those involved .
    Mrcoggins wrote:
    Rolf Harris What a sick Bas!!!!d. Very Sad Day completely awful for all those involved .

That is not controversial. The controversy would have been to say he's always been a great guy.
    I cannot believe how many celebs from my childhood have been unmasked to show their real identities! Feel robbed of my early years growing up.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I cannot believe how many celebs from my childhood have been unmasked to show their real identities! Feel robbed of my early years growing up.

Overall the scariest bit is that this group of people actually knew each other, makes you wonder.........
    SaintMark wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

Overall the scariest bit is that this group of people actually knew each other, makes you wonder.........

It certainly does! It makes you wonder who on earth is next?
    Gary "Masters Universe" Goddard , a molestor ?
    Here's one: Shakespeare in Love is a rom com with tights, nothing more, and is overrated as a movie.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 7,570
    jobo wrote:
    Walecs wrote:
    Moreover, hadn't Indy interfeared, they would have brought the Ark straight to Berlin, where...

... where they would have opened it at a big ceremony, killing thousands of Nazy's, including the leader himself, and saving the world from a lot of grief and suffering... ;)
    jobo wrote:
    Walecs wrote:

So Indy made things worse ;-)

The bit about it saying don't open your eyes on the side of the medallion, well that made no difference to the outcome either, because he would've had to tell the Nazis to look away for him to make a difference. As it is he lets them die anyway.

i agree with Amy
    I hate the song the monster mash... I really really do
    My controversial opinion would be that Chelsea Football Club have ruined the Premier League, and as a result, English football.
  • Men should be allowed to stroke their lunn in public.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,929
    Risico007 wrote:
    I hate the song the monster mash... I really really do
    I don't find that controversial at all. My parents put me onto a lot of 60s music, but they always avoided playing that one. I was just thinking about it the other day- only for a moment, fortunately, as the vocals really are unbearable. If just one monster song can be labelled 'a graveyard smash', then it has to be Thriller. In fact:

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010/10/ten_greatest_monster_songs_that_arent_monster_mash.php
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Men should be allowed to stroke their lunn in public.

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,894
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Men should be allowed to stroke their lunn in public.

tumblr_m09plvItq51rqfhi2o1_400.gif

giphy.gif

He approves.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I have never seen (or wanted to see ) ET

I never cared for Jennifer Aniston

American Pie song (1972) is my candidate for the song from Hell

Bogart should have won his Oscar for Treasure of the Sierra Madre and not African Queen
    I don't know if it's out of a lack of interest, but I, too, have never seen 'ET.' In fact, there's quite a few of those 'so popular everyone has seen them' films that I've never watched once.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I have never seen (or wanted to see ) ET

I never cared for Jennifer Aniston

American Pie song (1972) is my candidate for the song from Hell

Bogart should have won his Oscar for Treasure of the Sierra Madre and not African Queen
    That's actually my favorite song! :))
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't know if it's out of a lack of interest, but I, too, have never seen 'ET.' In fact, there's quite a few of those 'so popular everyone has seen them' films that I've never watched once.

Same here, about the last part. Part of the reason why I have yet to see some so -called "best films ever made" is just that: they have such praise around them that you get sick and tired of people discussing how great they are and watch other films instead. Then, when you finally get around to watching them you find that some are just okay, others horribly overrated, a few more downright horrid and unremarkable and the lowest number of all that live up to their reputations. Very few lauded films in the cinematic catalogue live up to long formed expectations, but that's to be expected.
    I actually surprise myself with some films, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but it's rare that I come across ones that are so critically well-praised that I find myself agreeing with the majority. Usually if something is overhyped, it's just a downer for me to some extent. Didn't we have a thread on here of films that everyone has seen, but you (in general) haven't? I could've swore we did, perhaps not. I'm actually embarrassed to mention the films I haven't seen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I've only seen E.T. once when I was 10, boy I was crying buckets. :))

Okay some controversial opinions.

Rambo III is better than Rambo II

Outside of Bond songs, I've never really been a fan of lyrical music.

Gravity is an overly hyped and overrated movie that about put me to sleep.

and

Saturday Night Live should be canceled.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I actually surprise myself with some films, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but it's rare that I come across ones that are so critically well-praised that I find myself agreeing with the majority. Usually if something is overhyped, it's just a downer for me to some extent. Didn't we have a thread on here of films that everyone has seen, but you (in general) haven't? I could've swore we did, perhaps not. I'm actually embarrassed to mention the films I haven't seen.

Yes, the thread was actually my own creation:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7124/films-you-are-embarrassed-to-admit-you-havent-seen/p1

While it can be somewhat embarrassing to openly state films you haven't seen that so many have, it'd be even worse if there were no more great films to see for the first time. I know I often dream of going back in time to experience films, books or games I have loved for the first time once again.
    I thought there was one, thanks for that. And I agree That's actually what you were getting at in some of the last comments in that thread, that you're happy there are always films you can return to from any decade. If you saw them all, then you don't have anything to really go back to and watch.

@Murdock, I agree on SNL, but I disagree on 'Gravity.' It won so many Academy Awards and everyone hailed it as something spectacular, so naturally I expected it to be so-so for me. Saw it once and it blew me away, mainly the visuals. I think that's a big reason why so many people showed up to watch it, the visuals. My new girlfriend (not girlfriend at the time) watched it with me and she hated it, saying that it was one of those movies where "everything bad that could possibly happens, happens.) I agree to some extent, but it wasn't as glaringly obvious as it was in other movies, and it's almost always something that really turns me off to a film.
    @Creasy47
    speaking of going back and reliving a movie experience from "the days". I found two movies from the 70's that when I first saw them it was quite an "experience"
    Jaws
    The Exorcist