Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,973
    chrisisall wrote:
    New controversial opinion: Dark Angel & Firefly are the two best SF series of the 21st Century.
    Good call on Firefly. I really can't think of another sci-fi made after 2000 that rivals it. :-?
    I do not like football because it is boring as hell. Simple as that.
    14255196297_7dcd9ae91c_o.gif
    QBranch wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    New controversial opinion: Dark Angel & Firefly are the two best SF series of the 21st Century.
    Good call on Firefly. I really can't think of another sci-fi made after 2000 that rivals it. :-?

=))
    Speaking of football, I don't understand why so many people love it.
    I've watched some games, sure, the guy who controls the ball runs, some of the times, so is the opponent who wants the ball. All the other players on the field are "positioning". Not much action as you can see...

Also, when are you suppose to cheer...when most of the games ends up at 1-0?
    Are those penalty shots a laugh or what? You have a goal you could fit Buckingham Palace into with an ant as a goaltender...there is absolutly no chance you'll miss...and still, most of the games ends up 1-0 with all that empty space to score!

How about a sport you can't use your hands? Is that really a sport? Man wasn't stupid enough to devise a sport you coudn't use your feet...

I'll grant however, the countries jerseys, not those league jerseys who are simply advertising for big corporate businesses, are really cool, but that's about what I find interesting in football.

Utterly boring "sport" if this leisurly activity qualify as such.
    Just out of curiosity @JohnBarryFan, what nationality are you?
    Just out of curiosity @JohnBarryFan, what nationality are you?

Canadian.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,564
    @QBranch and @chrisisall, I agree completely about Firefly! I'm also a fan of The Sarah Connor Chronicles, so I'm beginning to suspect that my fan love may be based on the presence of a certain very talented actress. ;-)

The following happened to me today. "Nobody dislikes football," a colleague of mine declared as if advancing a law of nature, "except crazy people." It should be pointed out that she came to work dressed up like a red Devil, actually wearing plastic devil hornes on her head! Note: a) she's a teacher..., b) Red Devils is what our national football team here in Belgium is called.

Two things.
    1) I'm not crazy. I may be dull, exceptionally attractive and addicted to caffeine, but I'm not crazy. Those semi-corpses, strewn all over the pavement, over whom I shall carefully try to step tomorrow morning while keeping myself from passing out due to offensive odours, THEY are the crazy people. THEY are the ones who, if the Belgian team should win tonight, make cause for celebration synonymous with acute alcohol intoxication. And should the team lose, they will of course make cause for grief synonymous with acute alcohol intoxication. Notice how crazy that is?
    2) Most of our pupils are in the middle of their finals. They need to study, keep a clear and sober mind on things. Seriously, I have nothing against bringing your enthusiasm to work but there's a line to be drawn and when you walk in the school buildings, 7:30 in the morning, all but liquored up and ready to start the party half a day too soon, you are stepping over it.

Imagine if I were to dress like a Jedi next year and teach my class with a plastic lightsaber instead of a pointer pen. Sure, I'd be the coolest teacher around but how would that be any different from any other day? ... ahum ... What I'm saying is, there's a time and place for everything but school is not where you let the beast go.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,894
    QBranch wrote:

Old man Steptoe has skills.

@chrisisall, it's nice to see some love for Dark Angel. :)
    QBranch wrote:

Old man Steptoe has skills.

@chrisisall, it's nice to see some love for Dark Angel. :)

Or

"Excuse me Dan, can you tell us the combined IQ of those numpties on DCINB?"
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    chrisisall wrote:

I would agree with that

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    QBranch wrote:

Haha! Is it safe?
    Kanye West, despite being a narcissistic, arrogant prick, is a genius. Not the greatest rapper or writer - though he is still quite good - but musically, on a production level, MBDTF is a masterpiece.
    QBranch wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

:O I didn't realise that was Dan at first.

Those ears should have given him away :p
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 9,779
    A couple of ones I am sure I have metioned but it bears repeating plus a few new ones

1. Ringo Starr is an amazing Drummer I saw him live saturday night drumming tracks like Africa Black Magic woman Oye como Va I want to bang on the drum all day and he sounded amazing.

2. Batman begins is a great film and a great movie

3. I like the idea of Batman vs superman and hope the execution is as good as I hope

4. I love the new yes song believe again

5. I hate world football... American football I like

6. Cheerleaders are awesome
  • How about a sport you can't use your hands? Is that really a sport? Man wasn't stupid enough to devise a sport you coudn't use your feet...

The fact we are less agile with our feet than with our hands means that there's less difference between semi-pros and professionals in this sport than in sports where you use the agility of your hands. The low scores means the same thing.

In the end, a semi-pro basket team does not stand a chance against a professionnal basket team, the result will always be something like 90-30 I think. In football, a team full of millionaires can loose 1-0 against semi-pros. It's rare, but it happens. In national cups, you can see little teams doing miracles. In a league with 36 matches, the best players will have an advantage in the long term, and you cannot play so many matches without being a pro, but, as they say, in one match, anything can happen.

Football turns out to be a sport where spending millions is not as efficient as it is in basket-ball for instance. In basket-ball, the NBA even doesn't allow new teams to enter the "first league", it's a very protected franchise if I understand well. In football, you can invest millions in a team in League 1 and go into League 2 the year after. In NBA, it's a safe bet, you'll still be there next year. And yet football is "the" sport which is criticized for being a big money business. Because it's the only sport that the US don't get ?! For many young people in the world, money is cool only if the US say so.

Q:What is more boring than football?
    A: Talk about football.

Q. What is more boring than talking about football?
    A. Moaning about football.

:D
  • That's because football is the sport whose who know nothing about sport, talk the most ! Imagine a Bond fan forum where half the questions are about the codename theory :)

Q. What is more boring than talking about football?
    A. Moaning about football.

:D

That is included, yes.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,691
    royale65 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    I would agree with that
    A bunch of folks that worked on Dark Angel went on to work in Firefly. Many folk I talk with dismiss DA because of the 'love story' content of many of the episodes. But the series accurately predicted a major terrorist strike, the Iraq War, genetic manipulation, the massive economic downturn, and drones!
    Plus: cool fight scenes & Jessica.
    B-)
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 4,422
    chrisisall wrote:
    A bunch of folks that worked on Dark Angel went on to work in Firefly. Many folk I talk with dismiss DA because of the 'love story' content of many of the episodes. But the series accurately predicted a major terrorist strike, the Iraq War, genetic manipulation, the massive economic downturn, and drones!
    Plus: cool fight scenes & Jessica.
    B-)

That's why I first starting watched it to be honest.... ;-)

Also I didn't know about the DA peeps working on Firefly - as a Whedonphile I'm most disappointed.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,564
    That's because football is the sport whose who know nothing about sport, talk the most ! Imagine a Bond fan forum where half the questions are about the codename theory :)

The codename theory. ;-) Glad you bring it up. You see, ... Nah, I don't buy that crap. ;-)

I think you're on to something about those who know little about football, having most to say about it and usually in a slightly embarrassing way. I mean, some of those predictions of what the outcome of a game will be, are based on essentially nothing. So what if the team won against the other team last year? Chances are that half the team's players have been replaced since then.

It may have something to do with my scientific background. I try to always have my predictions based on arguments that actually make sense. Of course I make predictions about films too - hardly an exact science - but I tend to be careful when I do. I think it's reasonable enough for example to assume that Bond 24 will be profitable because it can at the very least coast on some SF goodwill. But I also understand that should the film be released in an already crowded film season with heavy competition from big franchises, or should it experience some marketing nightmare of sorts, it may do considerably less than any of the previous three Craig Bonds. Still, it's a lot better than producing hiccups and shouting how awesome your local football team is and why it's a better team than mine because yours is awesome and mine isn't and yours will win and mine won't because - *hiccup* - your team is awesome and mine isn't because it's your team... so it's awesome. Superb logic.

Let's just say it like it is. The outcome of a football game is fairly unpredictable unless you have a professional team playing against a team of amateurs. To prognosticate is usually to pull words from thin air. Everything can be predicted. New player in town, already one of the best of the season, so of course the team will win. No no no, they're still tired from that game they played last time so they're going to lose. People fill hours of TV programming with that nonsense. ;-) It's like going back to the Dark Ages. This woman miraculously cured from the flew. She was touched by God! No no no, she slept with the Devil. Let's burn her! And that's when the hooligans come out.
    royale65 wrote:
    Also I didn't know about the DA peeps working on Firefly - as a Whedonphile I'm most disappointed.

Writers Jose Molina & Moira Kirkland and directors Vern Gillum, James A. Cotner, Alan Kroeker, & David Grossman worked on both series.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Time to piss some people off...
    Batman Begins is the best of The Dark Knight Trilogy and The Dark Knight is highly overrated.
    The Godfather is terrible and boring.
    Alien, while a good movie, is the least rewatchable of the Alien movies.
    Pierce Brosnan is one of the best Bonds and while we're at it Die Another Day isn't that bad but it is Brosnan's worst.
    The Beatles were never that great.
    Not pissed.
  • RC7RC7
    DarthDimi wrote:
    That's because football is the sport whose who know nothing about sport, talk the most ! Imagine a Bond fan forum where half the questions are about the codename theory :)

The codename theory. ;-) Glad you bring it up. You see, ... Nah, I don't buy that crap. ;-)

I think you're on to something about those who know little about football, having most to say about it and usually in a slightly embarrassing way. I mean, some of those predictions of what the outcome of a game will be, are based on essentially nothing. So what if the team won against the other team last year? Chances are that half the team's players have been replaced since then.

It may have something to do with my scientific background. I try to always have my predictions based on arguments that actually make sense. Of course I make predictions about films too - hardly an exact science - but I tend to be careful when I do. I think it's reasonable enough for example to assume that Bond 24 will be profitable because it can at the very least coast on some SF goodwill. But I also understand that should the film be released in an already crowded film season with heavy competition from big franchises, or should it experience some marketing nightmare of sorts, it may do considerably less than any of the previous three Craig Bonds. Still, it's a lot better than producing hiccups and shouting how awesome your local football team is and why it's a better team than mine because yours is awesome and mine isn't and yours will win and mine won't because - *hiccup* - your team is awesome and mine isn't because it's your team... so it's awesome. Superb logic.

Let's just say it like it is. The outcome of a football game is fairly unpredictable unless you have a professional team playing against a team of amateurs. To prognosticate is usually to pull words from thin air. Everything can be predicted. New player in town, already one of the best of the season, so of course the team will win. No no no, they're still tired from that game they played last time so they're going to lose. People fill hours of TV programming with that nonsense. ;-) It's like going back to the Dark Ages. This woman miraculously cured from the flew. She was touched by God! No no no, she slept with the Devil. Let's burn her! And that's when the hooligans come out.

Football delivers some of the greatest drama you could possibly imagine. Infrequent, yes, but isn't that the nature of real drama? Not canned, mass-produced drama, the like of which other sports attempt to build in with their various versions and rules. Raw, unfiltered competition that at it's best reduces you to a quivering wreck. I firmly believe it's too incomprehensible for those who dislike it to understand, but what you should realise is that for some of us football delivers an unequivocal maelstrom of highs and lows that we share with our friends and our families. For all it's negative aspects, it delivers on an emotional level better than any sport I care to think of.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Not pissed.

Still early in the US.
  • RC7RC7
    Batman Begins is the best of The Dark Knight Trilogy and The Dark Knight is highly overrated.
    Pierce Brosnan is one of the best Bonds and while we're at it Die Another Day isn't that bad but it is Brosnan's worst.

I agree with most of this. BB is as good as Raiders for its brilliance as a standalone picture within a series. I don't think TDK is overrated, but I do think TDKR is underwhelming.

I love Brosnan.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Interesting... I thought my comment about Alien, Brosnan/DAD, Godfather, and The Beatles would have people out for my head. But as someone said, it's still early here in the US.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Interesting... I thought my comment about Alien, Brosnan/DAD, Godfather, and The Beatles would have people out for my head. But as someone said, it's still early here in the US.

I agree with you on some of those counts, so when it comes time for you to be burned at the stake following a majority vote, I'll be there to cut you down from the post.
    I thought my comment about Alien, Brosnan/DAD, Godfather, and The Beatles
    The Beatles were golden, but I'm still not pissed.