Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

Common tropes does not make it fan fiction. Sherlock Holmes had a brother, did Conan Doyle wrote fanfic?
    Ludovico wrote:
    Common tropes does not make it fan fiction. Sherlock Holmes had a brother, did Conan Doyle wrote fanfic?

being the original writer Conan Doyle could never write fanfic, just bad stories. ;)
    You mean Conan Doyle wrote bad stories? That's controversial right there.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I keep getting these PM's asking to change the word 'Controversial' to 'Lunatic'. ;-)
    Ludovico wrote:
    You mean Conan Doyle wrote bad stories? That's controversial right there.

I mean that while Doyle himself as a creator never could write fanfic about SHerlock Holmes he had the opportunity to write lesser tales about SH. Because generally fanfic is supposed to be a judgement value towards folks who write stories about their favorite heroes and are considered not as good.
    Yes, one could write lesser stories of a creation of his own. Fanfic are not merely considered weak stories (generally) of their favorite heroes/fictional universe, the whole genre is considered a lesser genre. And here is a controversial comment: the Star Wars prequel is in many ways a fanfic.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Yes, one could write lesser stories of a creation of his own. Fanfic are not merely considered weak stories (generally) of their favorite heroes/fictional universe, the whole genre is considered a lesser genre. And here is a controversial comment: the Star Wars prequel is in many ways a fanfic.

except for the most important reason it is not: namely still written and directed by its creator George Lucas.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    except for the most important reason it is not: namely still written and directed by its creator George Lucas.
    While SF was made by people claiming to be fans ;)
    The DB5 was fan service in a fan fiction with fan logic :)

SaintMark wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Lucas still gave in to the fans with the importance given to Jango/Bobba Fett and Yoda fighting. Fanfic stuff, just as much as the DB5 in Skyfall. Same with the presence of the two droids from the original trilogy, Chewbacca, etc.
  • RC7RC7

Indeed it was.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I keep getting these PM's asking to change the word 'Controversial' to 'Lunatic'. ;-)

But I have given up now. Maybe for another thread?
    SaintMark wrote:
    While SF was made by people claiming to be fans ;)

DAD was directed by someone who allegedly wanted to acknowledge the code-name theory.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 7,500
    Now for some real controversy! Fasten your seat belts, and get ready:

The Raiders of the Lost Ark is extremely overrated! The plot is ridiculous and not very interesting. The action scenes are too drawn out and boring. The score is too grand, too generic and used too much -- it gets annoying. Harrison Ford is a huge dissapointment, and comes across as a cheap, dissatisfying copy of Han Solo.

Let the controversy commence! ;)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I suspect @jobo really is just looking for controversy. I'm not even going to comment on that statement other than 8-}
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Temple of Doom was always my favorite Indiana Jones movie. Raiders dragged on a bit too much for me.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I suspect @jobo really is just looking for controversy. I'm not even going to comment on that statement other than 8-}

I'm exaggerating slightly regarding Harrison Ford. Slightly...

Other than that, I'm actually dead serious. ;)

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Temple of Doom was always my favorite Indiana Jones movie.

Wasn't always for me, but it pretty much is now.
    Hey- @Murdock, we're controversial!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    You want controversy regarding Indy:

'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is a perfectly-cast, flawless film that is incredible from start to finish.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited June 2014 Posts: 16,333
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Anything goes! :D
    jobo wrote:

The Raiders of the Lost Ark is extremely overrated! The plot is ridiculous and not very interesting. The action scenes are too drawn out and boring. The score is too grand, too generic and used too much -- it gets annoying. Harrison Ford is a huge dissapointment, and comes across as a cheap, dissatisfying copy of Han Solo.

Like Amy in The Big Bang Theory said, Indiana Jones is superfluous to the story: without him the Nazis still find the Ark and loose. He could have stayed home and nothing would have changed in the outcome. I think this is where Raiders of the Lost Ark fails. Otherwise I love the movie.
    Creasy47 wrote:

'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' is a perfectly-cast, flawless film that is incredible from start to finish.

The first bit about the casting I can agree with. One of the best cast bad movies there is.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Wow! You actually beat me on the controversial scale there, Creasy! ;)
    @Ludovico, ooh, really? I don't care for Shia in that at all. The rest of the casting is alright, I suppose. Not sure why Marion returned at all when they always wanted to keep the leads separate in the films. So much for that.

In other words, the film is trash. I like Indy's dialogue during the nuke scene, but the rest is a CGI mess with mediocre action, a ridiculous plot (and this is Indy we're talking about), and a horrid ending. Oh, and CGI animals. Enough said.
    Oh I hated the movie, but I don't think there was everything wrong with the casting, even Shia who I never liked much. But he looked and acted like a teenager from the time.
    Raiders is my favorite movie PERIOD.

I suppose this may not be that controversial but I don't hate Crystal Skull.
    However, Crystal Skull should have been Indy 5, not 4. The real Indy 4 should have come around 1997 or so- right around the time Ford was older, but not too old, like he arguably was in Crystal Skull. Plus a lot of flack Crystal Skull gets is from being 'too little, too late', or in other words not worth the wait. Another whole film in between 1989 and 2008 would have helped matters.
    I don't even think Ford's age in 'Kingdom of the Crystal Skull' was a huge concern for me, just...almost everything else.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4,813
    Oh same here don't get me wrong- but his age was the subject of ridicule from the average moviegoer.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    jobo wrote:

You sir have just insulted my favourite movie of all time. Prepare to die!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Anything goes! :D

Good one @Murdock! Hahahah!
    Hey, I love Raiders & Crusade, but Temple just has the ridiculous re-watchability factor slightly over them IMO.
    ;)
    And Skull is not the stinker many say. The weakest by far, but given the choice of that or nothing, I'd choose it again & again.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Ludovico wrote:
    Like Amy in The Big Bang Theory said, Indiana Jones is superfluous to the story: without him the Nazis still find the Ark and loose. He could have stayed home and nothing would have changed in the outcome. I think this is where Raiders of the Lost Ark fails. Otherwise I love the movie.

I disagree. In a deleted scene (which you margue wether it's canon or not), it's revealed that on a side of the medallion there's a sign that reads "Close your eyes when you open the Ark".

Moreover, hadn't Indy interfeared, they would have brought the Ark straight to Berlin, where it would have been studied and used as a weapon.