Controversial opinions about anything

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,973
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Chuck Norris is overrated. What about early 90's (and 'Under Siege' and 'Under Siege 2') Steven Seagal?
    Yeah, Chuck never did anything for me, and Seagal used to be awesome back in the day. The most recent film of Seagal's that I really enjoyed was Exit Wounds with DMX. The last film I saw of his was Half Past Dead. Geez, what a terrible, terrible film. I waited the entire film to see him do something fancy, and he just held a gun the whole time. What a waste of a movie ticket.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Movie ticket = 'Half Past Dead' was released in theaters? Wow. I remember blind buying it on DVD when I was young and stupid. Loved it then, but I laugh at the prospect of it now.

Seagal was fantastic in 'Above The Law,' 'Marked For Death,' the two 'Under Siege films,' and my absolute favorite, 'Out For Justice.' That film is pure 90's revenge-filled fun. He beats so much ass in that film. I'm sure I'm forgetting another film, but after that, things turned south for him with those horrid yearly direct-to-DVD releases.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Chuck Norris is overrated. What about early 90's (and 'Under Siege' and 'Under Siege 2') Steven Seagal?

By who? It's not like he won an Oscar or anything.
    Chuck Norris the actor and his moviestar never worked for me but the cult figure on the net with all the jokes was awesome.

I did enjoy Norris in The Expendables 2 though.

Seagal movies have their moments especially in the beginning of his career.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 13,973
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Movie ticket = 'Half Past Dead' was released in theaters? Wow. I remember blind buying it on DVD when I was young and stupid. Loved it then, but I laugh at the prospect of it now.
    You know how some films are sooo bad, that you forgot you saw them? Well this one was so bad that I'll never forget it. I'm scarred for life :))
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Seagal was fantastic in 'Above The Law,' 'Marked For Death,' the two 'Under Siege films,' and my absolute favorite, 'Out For Justice.' That film is pure 90's revenge-filled fun. He beats so much ass in that film. I'm sure I'm forgetting another film, but after that, things turned south for him with those horrid yearly direct-to-DVD releases.
    I love all those films, and enjoy Glimmer Man, to a degree- but really, most of what he made after 1995 isn't really worth watching, IMO.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't say he's overrated. Like Charles Bronson, both actors had become more or less a self parody and get made into jokes like Chuck Norris is so tough he has a third chin under his beard.
    @QBranch, it just blows me away that 'Half Past Dead' made it to theaters. Unbelievable. Yeah, I forgot about 'Glimmer Man,' that isn't too bad. Wait, is it the one with the Wayans brother?

@Ludovico, I think he's overrated, hence my statement. All those 'Chuck Norris facts' got old really fast.
    I liked Bronson in Mr. Majestyk, and the one where he broke Robert Duvall out of that Mexican prison; and the Magnificent Seven and The Dirty Dozen.

Seagall was good back in the day, his best film was Under Siege (the first one with Tommy Lee Jones and Gary Busey).

Chuck Norris never did spit for me. He was never an actor just a movie star. There's as difference. Bogart was an Actor. James Earl Jones, George C Scott are Actors.

How's about this: I absolutely hated Armengeddon. Overblown piece of shytt of a movie. The earlier asteroid film that year, Deep Impact was the more entertaining and heart warming film.
    The scene I love the most in 'Under Siege' is when:
    Seagal and Jones have that knife fight. It's so different from anything I've ever seen because of how fast and non-choreographed it looks. It almost looks cheesy or laughable in some scenes, but at the same time, it's just them swiping at one another over and over again until Seagal wins.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    OHMSS69 wrote:

How's about this: I absolutely hated Armengeddon. Overblown piece of shytt of a movie.

Them's fightin' words, pardner.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    There was so much to dislike about Armengeddon. The "big" cast (Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob, Michael Dean (guy who played in the Green Mile). Overblwon publicity campaign.

Deep Impact had come out in the spring while Armengeddon was released as a summer blockbuster. Impact had more sympathetic characters and the scenes where the reporter wanted to reconnect with her estranged father (played by Maximillan Schell) was moving. Robert Duvall, Blair Underwood as astronauts and their sacrifice. Morgan freeman as the President. The reporter forcing the authorities to finally come clean about the approaching asteroid. (Wasn't Tea Leoni the reporter? ) Damned good movie.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Yeah, I forgot about 'Glimmer Man,' that isn't too bad. Wait, is it the one with the Wayans brother?
    Yep, that's the one.

One thing that annoys me about some of Seagal's films, is that he trades in his skills for boring, generic shoot-em-up action. If we're going to see him with a gun in his hand for the whole film, then let's at least see some kind of Aikido/gun fu combination here and there.
    I think he handles that quite well in 'Under Siege,' it's about half and half. Same with 'Out For Justice.' It's why I love those two so much. 'Under Siege 2' is more gunplay than fist fighting.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,691
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    There was so much to dislike about Armengeddon. The "big" cast (Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Billy Bob, Michael Dean (guy who played in the Green Mile).
    So, movies with 'big casts' are no good? What? Make sense, man!
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Overblwon publicity campaign.
    Huh? That's not the movie.
    And , uh, what all the rest of 'not to like'???

Hey, if you like Deep Impact better, that's entirely cool. It was by far the more serious film, and it was very good. But don't dis Armageddon, bro. B-)

SANY4679.jpg
    Well Seagal was the reason for me to enter the dojo to practice the art of Aikido. And while I enjoyed Aikido I lost interest in Seagals enterprises.

And I lost interest in Aikido due to meeting the love of my life and spending much time with her.

Have recently been eyeballing the the art again.
    I used to practice karate when I was 14- really wish I had stuck with it. If I ever return to martial arts, I'd like to take up Aikido.
    What about directors who have lost their appeal?
    M Night Shyamalan
    Michael Cimino
    Michael Bay
    QBranch wrote:
    I used to practice karate when I was 14- really wish I had stuck with it. If I ever return to martial arts, I'd like to take up Aikido.
    I took Aikido for a while, it was fun. My teacher said Seagal was obviously very good, but a master? He just chuckled.
    m Night Shyamalan was on top of the world with "Sixth Sense" and his next few films were sad attempts to duplicate that success. He failed.

Cimino was the flavor of the Month after "The Deer Hunter" swept the Oscars. Then he went and committed professional Hari Kiri with "Heavens Gate".

Michael Bay...what can I say except:"Michael Bay, you suck at film making"
    Bad Boys, The Rock, The Island... Bay had some great films early on, but yes, it seems he lost his way. I'm still waiting for a faithful live-action adaptation of Transformers.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    m Night Shyamalan was on top of the world with "Sixth Sense" and his next few films were sad attempts to duplicate that success. He failed.

Cimino was the flavor of the Month after "The Deer Hunter" swept the Oscars. Then he went and committed professional Hari Kiri with "Heavens Gate".

Michael Bay...what can I say except:"Michael Bay, you suck at film making"

Shyamalan never tickled my fancy, even with the 6th sense I guessed the ending before finishing the movie this to the dismay of my then date. The rest of his movies never really made any impression on me.

Cimino made a few decent movies and one of the better Vietnam movies, which is lot better than never making anything decent.

While Michael Bays' recent output does not quite woo me, he undoubtedly makes a cinematic product that looking at his BO is quite a large audience for. So who am I to say that he sucks, he just is not my cup of tea. That said the girls want to see this latest Transformer movie, so as a good dad I will probably take the bullet as my wife claims that I encouraged their taste in scifi and spectacle movies. ;)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Ludovico, I think he's overrated, hence my statement. All those 'Chuck Norris facts' got old really fast.

He has his fans, but he is not exactly rated high by critiques or the general public as an actor. As a martial artist, maybe?
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Here's a controversial opinion for you: Unbreakable is superior to The Sixth Sense. Okay, maybe not better, but it sure was more fun.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

He has his fans, but he is not exactly rated high by critiques or the general public as an actor. As a martial artist, maybe?

I think he's overrated in a general sense, overrated in the way that these 'Chuck Norris facts' are constantly spouted off as if he is the best fighter of all time.
    edited July 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think he's overrated in a general sense, overrated in the way that these 'Chuck Norris facts' are constantly spouted off as if he is the best fighter of all time.
    My Karate class met him at a tournament once- he was a genuinely nice fellow. IMO he was extremely good, but not remotely one of the best ever. The BEST fighters usually have even less screen presence than he did. It does take more than sheer kick-A ability to get into the movies.
    I'd have to say that, while he isn't my favorite, the best fighter that has ever had screen presence would have to be Bruce Lee.
  • edited July 2014 Posts: 2,341
    @SaintMark As for "The Sixth Sense" I always thought that "The Others" handled the "big reveal" much more effectively. I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

@Ludivico I never got 'Unbreakable". It seemed kinda....slow to me. I guess "Signs" was somewhat decent though. "The Village" was just trying too hard. As for "Lady in the Water" I did like the scene where the critic was killed off. It was funny and M Night was taking a jab at critics who had been panning his recent films. "The Happening" like "The Village" just tried too hard and failed to impress anyone. What a crock.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    @SaintMark As for "The Sixth Sense" I always thought that "The Others" handled the "big reveal" much more effectively. I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

Indeed, I remember being utterly surprised with "The Others", Kidman did convince a lot.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Here's a controversial opinion for you: Unbreakable is superior to The Sixth Sense. Okay, maybe not better, but it sure was more fun.

Unbreakable is his best film IMO. Vastly underrated.
  • RC7RC7
    edited July 2014 Posts: 10,512
    -