Star Trek (1966 - present)

1222325272883

Comments

  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 14,196
    I was so impressed with TNG that it took me a fair few episodes to get used to DS9. It doesn't seem as philosophical as TNG, thanks mainly to the lack of Picard, but it is quite good. I'm watching the final season on TV now. I've also seen 90% of Voyager, but I find it the least entertaining of the three. It feels more like a soap opera at times.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Posts: 7,314
    QBranch wrote:
    Wasn't it amazing how they inserted the DS9 characters into 'The Trouble with Tribbles' to make 'Trials and Tribble-ations'. One of the most memorable episodes of that particular series.
    Yes, that was fantastic. My favorite part is when they poke fun at why the Klingons from TOS look so different.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited April 2014 Posts: 14,196
    I love it when Odo takes the piss out of Worf and the Klingons for hunting tribbles:

    "Another glorious chapter in Klingon history. Tell me, do they still sing songs of the Great Tribble Hunt?" :))
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Posts: 7,854
    There's a great fanedit of "Trials and Tribble-ations" that combines that episode with "The Trouble with Tribbles". If you can ever find it somewhere out there, give it a watch. It used to be on YouTube (that's how I watched it), but they've taken it down since. There are a few scenes that don't match up well, but overall, it's a great way to watch the best episodes of two different Trek series.
  • Posts: 2,341
    I saw the episiode when it aired back in the nineties. It was one of a handful of DS9 episodes I actually watched during the seven year run.
    A problem with the episode was of course the Klingons and trying to "marry up" the Klingons from TOS and later Star Trek series and movies. Roddenberry foresaw the problem back during the production of TMP when the decision was made to make such a drastic change to Klingons' appearance.

    I think most of us agree that the later Klingons were better suited however it is sad that TOS lacked the budgets that the films and later Star Trek series received. It was a problem that Star Trek Enterprise chose to use the new Klingon look instead of going with the Klingons from TOS...

    it is a subject that Trek fans tend to avoid.
  • Posts: 5,634
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I saw the episiode when it aired back in the nineties. It was one of a handful of DS9 episodes I actually watched during the seven year run.
    A problem with the episode was of course the Klingons and trying to "marry up" the Klingons from TOS and later Star Trek series and movies. Roddenberry foresaw the problem back during the production of TMP when the decision was made to make such a drastic change to Klingons' appearance.

    I think most of us agree that the later Klingons were better suited however it is sad that TOS lacked the budgets that the films and later Star Trek series received. It was a problem that Star Trek Enterprise chose to use the new Klingon look instead of going with the Klingons from TOS...

    it is a subject that Trek fans tend to avoid.

    Was it just this name, or did others think maybe the Kilngons were poorly utilized in the motion picture releases ?

    What I mean is, apart from some sporadic action in The Final Frontier and a bigger scope for The Undiscovered Country (and The Search for Spock) they never really featured as much as time allowed ? It's embarrassing as a Star Trek enthusiast, but can't recall much right now about any subsequent releases such as Generations and First Contact, and if they appeared too much ?

    In any event, much prefered the original 60's series when they appeared, not so much so the theater releases, as they simply didn't radiate the same level of menace some would insist. - (That's Doc Brown from Back to the Future (ST3), how can you feel threatened by this.. etc) - Better casting would of been retrospectively beneficial.

  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,702
    (That's Doc Brown from Back to the Future (ST3), how can you feel threatened by this.. etc)

    LOL, you must be pretty young, he was Krudge in STIII BEFORE he was the Doc in BTTF. ;))

    @OHMSS69, yeah, Enterprise had a lot of problems, the Klingon thing being amongst the biggest IMHO. Still and all, the last season was pretty interesting.
  • Posts: 2,341
    @Baltimore007 I never thought about it, the Klingons not being well utilized in the motion pictures. I liked them in Star Trek III and VI but you may be on to something. I mean why even have them in TMP aside from being sacrificial lambs?
    ST V was so cringeworthy on many levels and the watered down Klingons were part of the problem

    @Chrisisall /Christopher Lloyd was Reverend Jim in "Taxi" before he was any of the above... :) [img][/img]
  • Posts: 5,634
    @Isall Wish I was young, guessing I got more years on yourself

    I know ST3 was released before Back to the Future, one year to be exact, but when you watch retrospectively you can't help but feel any threat or menace, because he was Doctor Brown also.

    It's kind of having Vernon Wells from Commando as Khan Noonien Singh in '82, as another example

    @OHMSS69 Yes I remember now the Klingons brief apperance in TMP. Worth saying also, The Final Frontier, despite being one of the best of the movie releases, degenerates into farce near the end as the Klingons become friends with Kirk and his crew and are seen drinking together and general camararderie - it's not above intergalactic 'bullshit'

    You'd have thought they'd have learned after the mistake that was the entire release of The Voyage Home. - it would appear otherwise

    Guess people wanted a family-friendly happy-clappy ending for that years (1989) release - but it wasn't to everyone's tastes
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,702
    @Isall Wish I was young, guessing I got more years on yourself
    I'm Kirk's age from Voyage Home, where are you on the Shatner age scale?
  • Posts: 2,341
    Characters from Trek who used to grate on my nerves were
    Wesley Crusher from TNG
    Ensign Kim from Voyager
    I don't know what it was that set me off with Kim but I just wanted to take him behind the building and beat him with a tire iron.
    Archer's 2nd in command on Enterprise, I cannot recall his name but he spoke with a southern twang and had dirty blond hair. Just didn't like him.
    Neelix was also a lowlife sack of dog turd.

    In the films, I was not overly fond of David Marcusfrom ST II and ST III. Sure he was Kirk's son but he just....I don't know.

    Also did anyone notice how in ST II Sarvik has red on her uniform but white in ST III and IV? Continuity Please.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,702
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Wesley Crusher from TNG

    You are so out of line here, pal. You might even be risking a Starfleet court marshal. [-X
  • Posts: 2,341
    I saw Wil Wheaton on a BBC America special. He was hosting a panal regarding the start of Season 2 for Orphan Black.

    I didn't recognize him until he said his name. His face is fuller and he has a beard. Interesting seeing him many years removed from his TNG days.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,702
    He was all kinds of awesome in Eureka.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,702
    Vic & Co. have done it again. Enjoy:


  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,702
    Apologies, I really must bump this. It is a must-see for the Trek fans among us...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,677
    'Star Trek: The Compendium' - which contains both of Abrams' 'Star Trek' films, the latter in an IMAX version, and tons of bonus material - will release September 9th, 2014:

    http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=14350

    Roberto Orci (the upcoming 'Star Trek 3' director) states that the former two films were an origin story, and this film will take place during their long voyage in deep space:

    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Edwardo2K14/news/?a=102626
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Roberto Orci (the upcoming 'Star Trek 3' director) states that the former two films were an origin story, and this film will take place during their long voyage in deep space.

    That's good. I'm was tired of the WE MUST SAVE EARTH plot.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,677
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Roberto Orci (the upcoming 'Star Trek 3' director) states that the former two films were an origin story, and this film will take place during their long voyage in deep space.

    That's good. I'm was tired of the WE MUST SAVE EARTH plot.

    Sounds like Earth won't be present in the film at all, which might be nice. However, I am hesitant about Orci taking over a big franchise with zero directing experience.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Roberto Orci (the upcoming 'Star Trek 3' director) states that the former two films were an origin story, and this film will take place during their long voyage in deep space.

    That's good. I'm was tired of the WE MUST SAVE EARTH plot.

    Sounds like Earth won't be present in the film at all, which might be nice. However, I am hesitant about Orci taking over a big franchise with zero directing experience.

    That's my biggest fear as well. It could be Star Trek: Nemesis all over again. Making Stuart Baird director having never directed before. Though directing wasn't the problem. It was the story...by John Logan... :-S
  • JuraquagmireJuraquagmire Canada
    Posts: 41
    Don't know what to say here...
    I am fan of Star Trek. I'm grow-up to Voyager, until last winter I watched Start trek series and all 12 movies on netflix, I love The Original Series and The Next Generation.
    My favourite movies are The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, Generations, and First Contact. Although, other movies' pretty great, but last 4 kinda meh.
    I cannot get into Deep Space Nine and never bother with Enterprise because of prequel...
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 14,196
    I recently finished all of TNG and DS9, and have seen 2/3 of Voyager. I still say TNG is the best and most philosophical, but I really loved DS9 too. After watching DS9 on TV every week for what seemed like a year, it was an emotional experience to see the last episode :(

    Admittedly, I had only seen bits and pieces of TOS in the past, but I've just started watching it from the beginning- and despite a few WTF moments involving sexism, I'm really enjoying it. I forgot how much I loved old school sci-fi... the simple effects, exotic sets and rich colours :-bd
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    QBranch wrote:
    Admittedly, I had only seen bits and pieces of TOS in the past, but I've just started watching it from the beginning- and despite a few WTF moments involving sexism, I'm really enjoying it. I forgot how much I loved old school sci-fi... the simple effects, exotic sets and rich colours :-bd

    And lush wonderful music. ;)
    Boxteaser.jpg

    I got the whole set the Christmas before last. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 14,196
    That's actually a photo of a crashed Borg cube, now the property of Starfleet.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    QBranch wrote:
    That's actually a photo of a crashed Borg cube, now the property of Starfleet.

    Better to have a borg sound cube instead of a Borg cube of Death. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    I recently got a Diamond Select Enterprise model to go with my crew figures and I decided to play around with it. I got green poster paper to use as a tiny green screen and having some fun. :)

    10603612_540039776126948_8038483703061372855_n.jpg?oh=1db412d80bba7c6c0db64351f87e5901&oe=54883793
    10616105_540061472791445_8231411209584354080_n.jpg?oh=c43d81f8c81b91f13a560684c8d1d7df&oe=54965B43&__gda__=1422683551_244d52b3bbc0afe4d128ddd98626081b
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,702
    I have one of those. Amazingly accurate for a toy!!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Posts: 16,339
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I have one of those. Amazingly accurate for a toy!!

    Diamond Select does make some good quality stuff. My Galileo model is a Johnny Lightening brand replica.
Sign In or Register to comment.