Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Gigantic fan of Trek here, but I haven't even seen Darkness yet. Rather watch another ep of Enterprise. ;))
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Gigantic fan of Trek here, but I haven't even seen Darkness yet. Rather watch another ep of Enterprise. ;))
    One time I watched about four minutes of an Enterprise episode, turned it off, and watched Quantum Leap instead. A far more satisfying experience. ;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @chrisisall, I'd Give Into Darkness a chance. It's not the best Star Trek movie, but it's leaps and bounds better than Generations. It's got a lot of TOS spirit in it, but it is lacking in a lot of places too. I loved it my first viewing, but not so much in recent viewings. The pre logo teaser was 10 minutes of pure TOS. The best part of the movie was it's performances. Chris Pine really out did himself in Into Darkness. You can really see his Kirk grow from arrogant to matured by the end. Peter Weller was fun too. I'd say see it once.

To bring back two cast members from the original series is as clear a message as you could wish for that the franchise is not strong enough to stand on it's own two feet. All you need are a couple more and you may as well do some kind of "space coyboys" theme when the original team come out of retirement to same the planet one last time within the original time frame.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited January 2015 Posts: 7,314
    SJK91 wrote: »
    Is anyone else a little miffed about Nimoy and Shatner coming back? They had to bring in Nimoy last time with space Skype for crying out loud.

I'm a fan of the Original Series films, but something about bringing back Shatner and Nimoy (particularly Nimoy, who will be making his third appearance in these reboots) smells a little desperate to me.
    Yes, this is getting silly now. While I do like the new cast, it's obvious that this current installment of the franchise has nothing better to do than go on a nostalgia trip. There's nothing new or compelling about this version of Trek.
    Except 'splosions of course.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Sadly I have to agree, I thought Nimoy in the first was a nice touch, but it's
    getting silly now.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SJK91 wrote: »
    chrisisall wrote: »
    One time I watched about four minutes of an Enterprise episode, turned it off, and watched Quantum Leap instead. A far more satisfying experience. ;)

One time I was on the Syfy channel, and I assumed as soon as Scott Bakula walked onto the screen, I thought I was watching Quantum Leap. It ended up being Enterprise.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 17,691
    As I get older (55 really soon) I find myself enjoying The Voyage Home more & more. It's becoming my favourite Trek film by leaps & bounds, with Undiscovered Country as a very close second. It used to be the other way around. :-?
    I guess in these grim times where the world seems to be bent on serving the wishes of our masters needing to maintain their extravagant lifestyles whilst degrading those of the rest of us means that for ME, the positivity & fun of TVH is a beacon of light in the dark...
    I found this nice little project on therpf.com.
    http://cargocollective.com/nickacosta/Old-Glory

What if the Original Enteprise model was used in the old and new movies? :) Enjoy.

vger1_1500.jpg
    Mutar_1500.jpg
    spacdock_3_1500.jpg
    lightspeed_1500.jpg
    riverside_1500.jpg
    Titan-Rise_1500.jpg
    nibiri_1920.jpg
    re-entry_1500.jpg

It SO would have worked.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Quick, put the new model in the old movies, I want to see if it works just as well as putting the old model in the new movies.
    Looks great.
    Here's a few Images I made last fall with My Diamond Select Enterprise model. :)

s4aqyiN.jpg
    CTe0mOQ.jpg
    4RvTaLv.jpg
    i8E2dCx.jpg
    ugwro07.jpg
    Pfr8Htc.jpg
    FlAIWsW.jpg
    FNP9UAF.jpg
    M85DcCE.jpg
    =D> They look Fantastic !
    Thank you. Photography and Photoshop are a fun combination with miniatures. :)
    Mine with practical FX:

Elighttest2.jpg
    Cool, I wish I had the talent to do some great stuff like this. =D>
    DrGorner wrote: »
    Cool, I wish I had the talent to do some great stuff like this. =D>
    We of the Trek tech fabrication & embellishment establishment thank you.
    Here's a lighting effect on the refit's hull by paint job:
    SANY4805.jpg
    It could be rose tinted specs but there is something about the models on the original movies that offer a texture and realism that just is not there on the CGI versions, you can see the difference.
    patb wrote: »
    It could be rose tinted specs but there is something about the models on the original movies that offer a texture and realism that just is not there on the CGI versions, you can see the difference.
    I agree, even in Serenity, as much as they did it well, it still just doesn't look the same in CGI as in modelwork (It was a model that crashed, and that looked amazing).
    I'm so sad today, Leonard Nimoy has passed. :((
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Makes me think about the scene at the end of Khan... I don't think I'll ever be able to watch that scene without welling up. :'(
    As Dr. McCoy said. "He's not really dead as long as we remember him." :(
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
    (That was Leonard Nimoy's last tweet.)

My first screen crush. I will always remember.
  • ChevronChevron Northern Ireland
    Very sad news. To me more than any other actor Nimoy was Star Trek.
    Chevron wrote: »
    Very sad news. To me more than any other actor Nimoy was Star Trek.

TRUE, him and Shatner are the body and soul of the franchise and sadly one part of that soul has gone today and he shall be missed but is a cause for a Star Trek session this weekend.

RIP Leonard Nimoy. Our favorite TV alien.

NBC execs hated the look and character when Roddenberry tried to sell the show. They felt that he looked too "Satanic" and they would lose viewers in the Bible Belt South. Spock turned out to be the most beloved and most enduring characters from TOS.
    He also was a more than adequate director actually helming the movies, ST III, ST IV, his son is a TV director.
    His one liners and "logic", dry wit gave us all some thrill moments in Star Trek TOS and the first six films.
    roko wrote: »
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory."
    (That was Leonard Nimoy's last tweet.)
    Go ahead, make me cry again...
    Leonard Nimoy lived long, and we all prospered from his excellent acting.
    Leonard Nimoy lived long, and we all prospered from his excellent acting.
    Yes, and his excellent movie direction, story input, and Humanism...