Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• edited February 2014 Posts: 381
    chrisisall wrote:
    Not as absurd as the previous one from '86

Balt, why do you hate whales?

Star Trek IV is considered one of the best films in the series. I have no problem with lack of action/battles. It was a great, fun uplifting story and I never tire of it. I'd take that over the dumbass J.J. Abrams movies.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I just visited the classic vacation spots. ;)
    75970_637295906308364_1259365292_n.jpg
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,341
    I will grade the films
    Wrath of Khan A
    First Contact A
    Voyage B+
    Search B+
    ST VI B+
    STTMP D-
    ST V F
    ST VII C+ ( I have down graded this. I liked it when I first saw it but now...)
    ST 9 F
    ST 10 D

I think final frontier and The Motion Picture are foul and unwatchable. Nemises sucked pigs feet. I knew at the time that they should have stopped at First Contact. i predicted they would never top that one and they haven't.

Generations had a good villain but I just wasn't feeling those scenes with Kirk horseback riding and chopping wood. That was kinda dumb...I mean kinda dopey dumb.
    Nemesis turning Picard into an action figure. He did just fine in First Contact and a handful of TV episodes where he got his hands dirty, but lets face it Jean Luc Picard is not an action figure and he was never intended to be. That's why you have crew members like Will Riker, Worf, and Data.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,816
    What is the fan consensus on Star Trek: Nemesis? I personally thought it was decent enough, but I'm not a big Trekkie by any means.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I think it had a decent premise, and an okay execution, but overall, it wasn't the most fantastic film. It wasn't the film we deserved after the sh*tfest that was Insurrection.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What is the fan consensus on Star Trek: Nemesis? I personally thought it was decent enough, but I'm not a big Trekkie by any means.

It's a poor film, IMO. Even films like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Insurrection while flawed, were decent entries. Nemesis had an interesting premise, but there was something just kind of dull and lifeless about it. The cast gave a good effort and there was a pretty good climax, but that's not enough. Except for Stewart and Spiner, none of the actors seemed like they were playing their characters, it's as thought the script could have been written for anyone. Director Stuart Baird was unfamiliar with the Star Trek and it showed.
    The death of Data was just stupid and served no purpose. It was put in their for dramatic effect and no other reason.

46311303.jpg
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,816
    I suppose it was intended to recall the death of the pointy eared one from an earlier age, although in Nemesis they did rather have both their cake and eat it, if you get my meaning (i.e. B-4).
    Dragonpol wrote:
    I suppose it was intended to recall the death of the pointy eared one from an earlier age, although in Nemesis they did rather have both their cake and eat it.

B4 was just stupid, stupid, stupid.

Adding Data's "brother," why? It was completely unnecessary. For one thing he was more annoying than Jar Jar Binks, and why add a new character in the final entry? Even if they had gone on to make more films, why add Data's retarded brother this late in the game? How about NOT killing off Data and just using that established, beloved character in the next film.

I came across this picture of the writers working on the script:
    monkeys_typewriters.png
    That might explain it.
    Yes, there may have been some monkey business involved with the script and some monkeying around with the ST film series, too.

I think it had a decent premise, and an okay execution, but overall, it wasn't the most fantastic film. It wasn't the film we deserved after the sh*tfest that was Insurrection.

I thought the wedding scene was good and the running gun battle among the sand dunes was pretty cool stuff but overall I just did not like the film.

It had been like 4 years since Insurrection (a long time for a Trek film) and face it by the time Nemesis came out, the act had worn thin.

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    I'm gonna rank all the movies and TV Shows

Movies

12. Star Trek: Insurrection
    11. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
    10. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    09. Star Trek: Generations
    08. Star Trek: The Voyage Home (don't kill me...)
    07. Star Trek: Nemesis
    06. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
    05. Star Trek
    04. Star Trek: First Contact
    03. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
    02. Star Trek Into Darkness
    01. Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

About a year ago I read a book, "Rule in Hell" it was about Khan and his people after the Enterprise stranded them on that planet An interesting read, but my question is :

Would any of you go see a film that was based on this?
    Khan's relationship with Marla McGivers and the events that transpired up until USS Reliant's visit 15 years later.

Would that interest anyone?
  • 08. Star Trek: The Voyage Home (don't kill me...)

That's a great movie and one of the best in the series.
    I'm interested about your opinions on the J.J. Abrams movies. The main reason I started to watch ST movies was to forsee Abram's take on Star Wars. In my opinion, it isn't very promising. Visually it's good but I think he's not completely respectful of the original sources.
    The reboot
    Hmm, I have been pretty forthcoming about the films 1-10 but so far I have avoided the Abrams movies.

I liked both movies and I thought that Into Darkness was a great and wild ride.
    Star Trek B
    Into Darkness A-

I liked the plot and story lines of Into Darkness. I liked the fact that they had Carole Marcus in the film perhaps we will see more of her later...Admiral Marcus was a good villain and Cumberbatch made a good Khan. I liked the inclusion of the Klingons as well. It was good to see them on the big screen.

I always liked the actor playing McCoy. I always thought he deserved more screen time in the first movie and it was good to see him in that opening scene when he and Kirk are running for their lives.

Both films are just a lot of CGI excitement which is what audiences crave nowadays. Someone earlier noted that in the old series, the holy trinity of Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. with the Abrams films Uhura seems to have replaced McCoy. She's given a lot more to do in these films than Nichelle Nichols ever did on the TV show and movies for that matter.

The movies are a fun ride and I wonder if there will be a third installment. Time will tell.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    OHMSS69 wrote:

I thought the wedding scene was good and the running gun battle among the sand dunes was pretty cool stuff but overall I just did not like the film.

It had been like 4 years since Insurrection (a long time for a Trek film) and face it by the time Nemesis came out, the act had worn thin.

I did enjoy the wedding (specifically Worf's run in with Romulan Ale), and the car chase was pretty good. The ending battle scenes were particularly nice (for a series that hasn't really captured ship vs ship battle since The Wrath of Khan).

Now... there are problems. As others have said, B4 was a worthless invention this late in the game. I have a few reservations with how they treated Will Riker. The Romulan plot of cloning Captain Picard just seems a little... well... stupid, even though I liked Shinzon and Tom Hardy's performance. I really don't think we needed an homage to Spock's death with Data, but I guess I understand Brent Spiners motives.

After this is the really, really f*cking ugly. To use this film as the send off for the Next Generation crew is just appalling. It's truly disappointing that the Next Generation crew only got one good film, two decent films, and one sh*t film in Insurrection.
    @Agent007391
    I couldn't agree with you more. Cloning Picard is kinda stupid and lame. The insights into the workings and racism between Romulans and Remans was interesting. Shizon might have been an interesting character had he not been a clone. This idea was almost as bad as the one of Kirk horseback riding. And B-4 reeks of anal gas.

TNG cast was so beloved by many of us fans during the seven year run and Nemesis was not a good sendoff. They should have stopped at First Contact. Too bad that at this late date they cannot take back the last two films and the franchise did not need either one.
    From what I see, First Contact is the GoldenEye of Star Trek, while Nemesis is the DAD. Am I right?
  • 0013 wrote:
    I'm interested about your opinions on the J.J. Abrams movies. The main reason I started to watch ST movies was to forsee Abram's take on Star Wars. In my opinion, it isn't very promising. Visually it's good but I think he's not completely respectful of the original sources.

They were fun, big-budget action movies. I enjoyed them, but they weren't great. The stories were pretty thin and full of plot holes.

That said, they were better than those Star Wars prequels, as I expect the next SW movies will be.
  • 0013 wrote:
    From what I see, First Contact is the GoldenEye of Star Trek, while Nemesis is the DAD. Am I right?

I liked DAD a lot more than I liked Nemesis.
  • OHMSS69 wrote:
    I liked the fact that they had Carole Marcus in the film perhaps we will see more of her later...Admiral Marcus was a good villain and Cumberbatch made a good Khan. I liked the inclusion of the Klingons as well. It was good to see them on the big screen.

Carol Marcus was a completely superfluous character. The only reason she was in the film was so that they could have a pointless scene of her in her underwear. Cumberbatch was alright, but he was somewhat bland and nothing like the Khan from Space Seed or TWOK. He was a generic baddie who could have been any villain.
    I found Cumberbatch good but not as eloquent as Montalban's.
    0013 wrote:
    I found Cumberbatch good but not as eloquent as Montalban's.

Cumberbatch is certainly no Montalban, though I feel he could have been if he'd gotten the same treatment as Montalban. You look at it, Montalban had a TV episode to introduce his character, and then two whole hours for his revenge plot on the big screen. Cumberbatch was introduced, given a backstory, plotted his revenge, and placed in cryostasis in the exact same two hour time frame Montalban had to just be an awesome villain who was already established.

Plus, they threw Spock Prime in there to basically say "Khan was a badass that we had trouble dealing with" and then at the end of the movie, Young Spock engages him in a fist fight and almost wins. Way to make Khan seem like a wuss, Abrams.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2014 Posts: 17,691
    0013 wrote:

I totally agree.
    And I'm getting tired of this anti-Insurrection crap. Whenever I ask why people dislike it I get the same nebulous bs- "well, it's, uhh, not good, and, uhh, boring, and, uhh, not well written, and uhhh... "
    Insurrection is just a big NG episode, and if it's guilty of anything, it's that it's nothing very spectacular, which is fine with me.

And now for my Trek/Bond comparisons:

STTMP=SF
    STII=OHMSS
    STIII=FYEO
    STIV=TSWLM
    STV=QOS
    STVI=TLD
    STGenerations=CR '67
    STFirst Contact=TB
    STInsurrection=DN
    STNemesis=MR
  • chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

I totally agree.
    And I'm getting tired of this anti-Insurrection crap. Whenever I ask wy people dislike it I get the same nebulous bs- "well, it's, uhh, not good, and, uhh, boring, and, uhh, not well written, and uhhh... "
    Insurrection is just a big NG episode, and if it's guilty of anything, it's that it's nothing very spectacular, which is fine with me.

Agreed that Insurrection is kind of like a two-part episode of TNG. I think that it might be a little flat, but it's not bad. The film came out in 1998 so they could have done something wit the Dominion War, but also made it understandable to those not familiar with DS9.
    chrisisall wrote:
    0013 wrote:

I totally agree.
    And I'm getting tired of this anti-Insurrection crap. Whenever I ask wy people dislike it I get the same nebulous bs- "well, it's, uhh, not good, and, uhh, boring, and, uhh, not well written, and uhhh... "

Agreed that Insurrection is kind of like a two-part episode of TNG. I think that it might be a little flat, but it's not bad. The film came out in 1998 so they could have done something wit the Dominion War, but also made it understandable to those not familiar with DS9.

As much as Nemesis blows, I can find some things I like in it. While I can see no redeeming value or saving points for Insurrection. If I stop and think, I can give props to the scene where Troi is in the tub with Riker shaving him. Okay that was kinda cool. I just like Deanna Troi and anytime she shows just a little skin is a good thing.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    While I can see no redeeming value or saving points for Insurrection.
    See? This is all anyone can say. Everyone who doesn't like it must have seen it once way back, was under-whelmed, decided they didn't like it and have never seen it since. No one can point out character flaws, bad editing, crappy music, unfunny humour, lame FX... because it was all good. I can point to the creation of B4 in Nemesis as a dopey rip off of Lore, and the death of Data as a dopey rip off of STII, and the endless shooting as a Star Wars influence that didn't feel right, and an actor as a young Picard clone that looks NOTHING like him but no one can ever be SPECIFIC concerning what they hate Insurrection for! :-??
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 2,341
    After First Contact most anything would be a disappointment but like The Search for Spock. It came after the supreb Wrath of Khan. It was no where as good as the predessor but it was an entertaining and enjoyable film.

Insurrection was just flat. Some hogwash about fountain of youth and those guys with the stretched faces, I mean WTH?
    It had some good FX but what Sci Fi film doesn't these days? Thats to be expected. Oh, and that scene with Troi and Riker.
    I will yield, I would take Insurrection over The Motion Picture and The Final Frontier. The latter has a script that had garbage wrapped around it.

Another thing about The Motion Picture. This movie is long, long and ever so long. They spent the budget on the elaborate sets and costumes. They should have invested in a top notch writer and director. Then rather than come up with a decent story that trek fans could hang their hats on they recycle an old classic Trek episode from the second season.
  • TMP was probably influenced by 2001. Yes, those long, long, loooooong shots of space ships was more dull than the underwater scenes in Thunderball.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Insurrection was just flat. Some hogwash about fountain of youth and those guys with the stretched faces, I mean WTH?

:))

Thanks for the razor sharp details there... =))