Star Trek (1966 - present)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    That all depends on how they do it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want to see a tv series based on the USS Kelvin crew from the beginning of Star Trek 2009.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Okay, totally serious here, I want a new animated TOS series.
    @chrisisall perhaps these will interest you. :) There footage from Star Trek 25th Anniversary and Star Trek: Judgement Rites. There PC games that feature the original cast reprising there roles in the TOS era. Think of them as lost episodes. :)

• chrisisall wrote:
    Okay, totally serious here, I want a new animated TOS series.

no, I could never buy into that idea. Some things are best left as they are, and that is just one example
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited November 2013 Posts: 7,854
    I wouldn't mind a new animated series. Those two games @Murdock posted are great, and they could probably easily adapt those (using the voice tracks) to an animated series. They make TOS era battles look exciting for the first time.
    I wouldn't mind a new animated series.
    I own the Seventies animated series, and I still love despite the severely limited animation inherent in those days. Back then, it was freakin' AWESOME to have TOS back in any form!
    I'd welcome another one today.
    Maybe, some day, we can have one. I feel that animation is taken a little more seriously nowadays, so maybe a really awesome animated series can show up at some point and blow us away.
    Here's hoping!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Here's hoping!

Hey @chrisisall, did you see the videos I posted above? :)
    Murdock wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Here's hoping!

Hey @chrisisall, did you see the videos I posted above? :)
    I took a quick look is all. We're in the middle of a serious Buffy marathon here...
    ;)
    Don't forget Angel.
    Don't forget Angel.
    I have the important episodes on DVD.
    pachazo wrote:
    I wonder if Star Trek will continue as a film series or if there will be another TV series. If they want to continue this altered timeline, it'd be nice to see a reboot TNG series.
    Rebooting TNG would really be scraping the bottom of the barrel would it not? Is that all that is left for Star Trek? Reboots?

I am sure in thinking that we will get another movie atleast? As i think it was a 3 picture deal wasn't it? Or did i imagine that?
    Yes, there will be another movie.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598
    I've recently finished watching all the original Star Trek films again and I have to say that I enjoyed 'The Search For Spock'. I also felt that 'The Wrath of Kahn' wasn't as good as I remembered it to be but still an entertaining film. I really like the beginning when Kirk turns 50 and is feeling his age and has that little chat with McCoy. I also really liked 'The Voyage Home' and The Undiscovered Country' but they are all pretty good films. Having said this, the original series from the 60's will always be my favourite. They spent more time on strange looking planets with purple skies and drunk and ate with aliens in houses with elegant 60's décor. In the films they spent more time on the ship which I don't like quite as much. I felt that the original series was more cultured and richer.

The Next Generation films are enjoyable too. First Contact is my favourite. I love The Borg.

The new Star Trek films are entertaining but they have too much action. The originals were real drama/thrillers with some action thrown in. They were more suspenseful and channelled the original series more than the new films do which are mostly just big action blockbusters. I much prefer William Shatner to Pine too. Shatner had a quiet charm to him although I suspect that if Pine played Kirk in the same way Shatner did then modern, mainstream audiences today would possibly consider the character on the boring side. I certainly wouldn't though.

What's the deal with the new films? I don't like the alternative timeline. Very typical Hollywood but it is Hollywood so I guess one has to expect this. The original history of Kirk has him do other things before becoming captain of the Enterprise:

"At Starfleet Academy, Kirk became the only student to defeat the Kobayashi Maru test, garnering a commendation for original thinking by reprogramming the computer to make the "no-win scenario" winnable. Kirk was granted a field commission as an ensign and posted to advanced training aboard the USS Republic. He then was promoted to lieutenant junior grade and returned to Starfleet Academy as a student instructor.[3] Students could either "think or sink" in his class, and Kirk himself was "a stack of books with legs".[4] Upon graduating in the top five percent, Kirk was promoted to lieutenant and served aboard the USS Farragut.[3] While assigned to the Farragut, Kirk commanded his first planetary survey and survived a deadly attack that killed a large portion of the Farragut's crew,[3] including his commanding officer, Captain Garrovick. He received his first command, the equivalent of a destroyer-type spaceship, while still quite young.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Kirk

They could have made a couple of exciting films covering the above before Kirk took command of The Enterprise.
  • Bounine wrote:
    I've recently finished watching all the original Star Trek films again and I have to say that I enjoyed 'The Search For Spock'. I also felt that 'The Wrath of Kahn' wasn't as good as I remembered it to be but still an entertaining film. I really like the beginning when Kirk turns 50 and is feeling his age and has that little chat with McCoy. I also really liked 'The Voyage Home' and The Undiscovered Country' but they are all pretty good films. Having said this, the original series from the 60's will always be my favourite. They spent more time on strange looking planets with purple skies and drunk and ate with aliens in houses with elegant 60's décor. In the films they spent more time on the ship which I don't like quite as much. I felt that the original series was more cultured and richer.

The Next Generation films are enjoyable too. First Contact is my favourite. I love The Borg.

The new Star Trek films are entertaining but they have too much action. The originals were real drama/thrillers with some action thrown in. They were more suspenseful and channelled the original series more than the new films do which are mostly just big action blockbusters. I much prefer William Shatner to Pine too. Shatner had a quiet charm to him although I suspect that if Pine played Kirk in the same way Shatner did then modern, mainstream audiences today would possibly consider the character on the boring side. I certainly wouldn't though.

What's the deal with the new films? I don't like the alternative timeline. Very typical Hollywood but it is Hollywood so I guess one has to expect this. The original history of Kirk has him do other things before becoming captain of the Enterprise:

"At Starfleet Academy, Kirk became the only student to defeat the Kobayashi Maru test, garnering a commendation for original thinking by reprogramming the computer to make the "no-win scenario" winnable. Kirk was granted a field commission as an ensign and posted to advanced training aboard the USS Republic. He then was promoted to lieutenant junior grade and returned to Starfleet Academy as a student instructor.[3] Students could either "think or sink" in his class, and Kirk himself was "a stack of books with legs".[4] Upon graduating in the top five percent, Kirk was promoted to lieutenant and served aboard the USS Farragut.[3] While assigned to the Farragut, Kirk commanded his first planetary survey and survived a deadly attack that killed a large portion of the Farragut's crew,[3] including his commanding officer, Captain Garrovick. He received his first command, the equivalent of a destroyer-type spaceship, while still quite young.[5]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_T._Kirk

They could have made a couple of exciting films covering the above before Kirk took command of The Enterprise.

I always prefered the original series over the theatrical releases, because other than The Wrath of Khan, what outstanding releases were there with the original faces ?

Not many when you think about it, and at least the original episodes provided regular entertainment with great watches such as The Tholian Web, Let that be your last Battlefield (scenario reenactment in The Search for Spock), The Way to Eden, Space Speed (see Wrath of Khan), Turnabout Intruder, The trouble with Tribbles etc, although genuine fans will automatically recognize the episode titles

Next Generation is OK, but could never quite warm to Patrick Stewart and the new faces. The Generations movie release is well done though, and even Kirk gets involved again, but it's a sad moment in the franchise when he is mortally wounded and laid to rest. You can understand in retrospect the need to feature him again, but he didn't require that much exposure for that years release
    I wasn't really happy with the way they disposed of Kirk. I kind of thought that it would be nice if he was living in peace in whatever parallel universe he ended up in but at the same time as McCoy said at the beginning of Wrath of Kahn, he was a ... (I can't remember the words but it was something equivalent to a "sea dog") and always had to be flying around space getting into some new adventure so maybe it was best that he past away but as I said, I wasn't really happy with the way it was done.

I can't remember the names of the episodes in the original series as I am terrible with names, but I have seen all those episodes 3 times or more.

I like Patrick Stewart but I could never get used to the rest of the new crew. No one beats the original Kirk though.

I'd actually love to see a new animated series starting where the original series left off which as I understand it was 3 years into their 5 year mission, or right at the beginning. Maybe computer generated but this might look artificial and corny as today's effects can make people look life like but obviously at the same time one can easily see that they are not real. This series would feature all the original crew with the voices of all the original actors/actresses aside for Kelly/Bones of course but I'm sure they could find someone who could do a good impersonation of him. It would have all the ingredients and atmosphere of the original. Obviously it would be a bit different to a live version but it could still be great. Not that it would happen, but one can dream... :)
    Life is but a dream...
    You forgot the "merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily"
    Must have been those Marshmellons!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited November 2013 Posts: 7,314
    Bounine wrote:
    I'd actually love to see a new animated series starting where the original series left off which as I understand it was 3 years into their 5 year mission, or right at the beginning. Maybe computer generated but this might look artificial and corny as today's effects can make people look life like but obviously at the same time one can easily see that they are not real. This series would feature all the original crew with the voices of all the original actors/actresses aside for Kelly/Bones of course but I'm sure they could find someone who could do a good impersonation of him. It would have all the ingredients and atmosphere of the original. Obviously it would be a bit different to a live version but it could still be great. Not that it would happen, but one can dream... :)
    Didn't the animated series take place directly after TOS? I thought that it filled in the gap with years 4 and 5 of the mission and is considered to be canon. Someone please correct me if that is wrong.
    Also, I'm afraid that James Doohan (Scotty) also passed away so they would have to find a replacement for him too.
    Oh that's right. I did actually hear about Doohan's death but I had completely forgotten about it. Shame on me.

Someone said that he didn't suit a moustache but I felt that it looked good on him.

I don't know anything about the animated series.

I saw a Star Trek documentary in 2009 where someone met up with all the old cast members of the original series/films. Then they acted out a scene on the bridge together. William Shatner wasn't there though. I don't think he wanted to appear in the doco. Sulu, Chekov, Ohura and Spock were there. Has anyone seen this?
    edited November 2013 Posts: 7,854
    pachazo wrote:
    Didn't the animated series take place directly after TOS? I thought that it filled in the gap with years 4 and 5 of the mission and is considered to be canon. Someone please correct me if that is wrong.

No, the animated series wasn't canon. However, Kirk's middle name came from it.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,698
    No, the animated series wasn't canon.
    Who says so? The animation was limited, and the music was *meh*, but it was well written IMO.
    I'd take the original cast voices on a budget cartoon production over JJ's Meth Of Khan any day.
    Well, I was about to give you a source, however said source appears to have reversed its position on the subject. It appears that the animated series is, indeed, canon.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 17,698
    It appears that the animated series is, indeed, canon.

There was much rejoicing. =D>
    My home is safe from Romulan intruders now. :))

SANY9310_zps54fab745.jpg
    chrisisall wrote:
    My home is safe from Romulan intruders now. :))

SANY9310_zps54fab745.jpg

Want want want! =P~
    Murdock wrote:
    Want want want! =P~

Ha, thanks. I loved the phaser in V, but I REALLY loved it in VI all black. And it helped that VI is one of my favourite films of all time.
    "What you want is irrelevant; what you've chosen is at hand."
    Whoah...