SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    RC7 wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Terrific should we base ALL our decisions on the academy Awards?
    Also considering the fact that nominees who have lost out for years are sometimes given "freebies," instead of it being a fair contest for who truly gave the best performance. Every year it honestly becomes harder for me to tune in to the show. The politics of it all, the flat and cringe-worthy attempts at comedy and all the stupid bull that they make the "famous" actors and actresses spew about other professionals or films in the running that they may not have even seen and don't genuinely mean are just some examples of why the show has suffered. How hard would it be for the presenting actors and actresses to just give an improvised and convincing performance instead of choppily reading off a teleprompter? I mean, they get paid for it for crying out loud!

Paid for what? Celebrities don't get paid to attend the Academy Awards. They may receive pricy gift bags, but they don't receive a check for attending/presenting, just the hosts do.

I think he means they are paid to 'act', so why the need for badly delivered lines, courtesy of a teleprompter.

Exactly. Thanks, @RC7.
  • For me, Skyfall was easily the best Bond score since John Barry signed out with TLD. I would love Newman to return. Bearing in mind that Eon?MGM were desperate for Mendes to return and delayed Bond 24 until he was available, I can't believe that Mendes wasn't able to insist on his choice of composer. Having said that it wouldn't surprise me if Newman is reluctant to return.

My impression is that Skyfall was a high pressure experience to score. Newman is hardly short of offers so it may just be that he's ruled himself out. I saw David Arnold interviewed before a showing of YOLT at BFI SouthBank in late January and the strong professional relationship between Mendes and Newman was mentioned. Arnold agreed and gave absolutely no indication that he was remotely in the running for Bond 24. Either he's not doing it or he's doing a very strong job of keeping a straight face.

To be honest, I wouldn't like to predict who is scoring Bond 24 at this point.. If either Arnold or Newman are doing it then surely they've been signed up by now.Five Arnold scores is enough. If it's not Newman then IMO they should go for the best, Alexandre Desplat. Eon can afford it. :)
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I agree with much of what you are saying, @Murdock, regarding Arnold and TND.
    And I am happy to see Colonel Sun posting here, by the way.

For my personal tastes, I would definitely welcome Arnold back - and I do not feel we should limit someone by saying well he had 5, that's enough. Really? He was not burnt out; he was still developing and improving with his Bond scores.

I also welcome a new composer. But I am not wholly against Newman. I for sure am not satisfied with what he did, however. If Newman returns, I simply want more from him this time. Meaning I want the more Bondian influences in the score - the theme song woven into it, the James Bond theme in it more. Skyfall had some lovely moments, but it was overall not a great score and not particularly memorable. I know Newman has the talent, I just want him to embrace a Bond film as a Bond film and put those special touches in - and subtle is fine, I just want them there. Don't tell me a person that talented couldn't do it or shouldn't do it. This is not a regular action film or any other standard film, this is a Bond film and I do want it to have that flavor, even with the score.

If Newman is in and gives us a score similar to Skyfall's effort, I will be mightily disappointed. In Mendes as well, because Mendes is the director and has had a longstanding partnership with Newman - he should be able to influence Newman somewhat. Therefore, if Newman does not deliver something better for me, I do blame him (specifically his ego, because what else would be stopping him?) and I would also blame Mendes more this time. I do not mean to sound so cold against Newman; I am not. But I'm trying to be clear that what he did, nominations aside, was not sufficient for me and I know very well he can do better for Bond.

I think Newman may well be reluctant to return, but I feel Mendes would want him to say so he might be on board. Who really knows? I honestly hope we get confirmation soon. Which we probably won't.
    You can say that the Oscars are a joke but the fact is that the nominees for a Best Original Score Oscar are selected by the Music Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. The Music Branch has 232 members as of know and they are all highly accomplished composers, songwriters and music editors.

The fact is that these composers, songwriters and music editors thought that the score of Skyfall was one of the five best scores of 2012 and they did not think that any of the scores by David Arnold was good enough for a nomination.
    The fact that 232 members of the Music Branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences chose such a mediocre soundtrack as Thomas Newman´s Skyfall is scientific proof that the Oscars are a joke.

Adele is holding out on doing the Bond 24 theme, and apparently the Prods have already approached her.

http://www.contactmusic.com/story/adele-tight-lipped-on-james-bond-theme-future_4102914
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's no rush, really, the film won't be out for quite some time and she still has months to decide.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 12,833
    I don't want another Adele theme. I enjoy speculating about who will do the next theme song and I like having a new artist every time to keep things fresh. Plus I don't really like Adele's music (although SF was a decent song).
    I wouldn't mind if Adele returned, I thought she did a fantastic job with 'Skyfall.' Wouldn't mind seeing someone else return for another theme song, though, as I don't want a near carbon copy of SF this time around.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Risico007 wrote:

No. All I'm saying is that to claim that the Oscars are a joke and they don't mean anything is ridiculous.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Yes, the same people that denied John Barry for almost 30 years; very credible.

John Barry? Do you mean the 5 time Academy Award winner John Barry?

Yes, the one and the same who was consistently snubbed for his work on the Bond series, which btw is where his best work can be found.

• edited March 2014 Posts: 12,833
    I've been listening to the latest Arctic Monkeys album lately and it's great. I'd say they're a pretty likely choice for the next theme too given how popular they are at the moment.
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    Re: ADELE
    I don't know if we can trust this article 100% either.
    But I am okay with Adele returning. And from a business standpoint, I can see why the producers would ask her. I am okay with someone new.
    Would be great to get confirmation of something soon.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I want another hard rock song. Ballads are fine for say Moore and Brosnan, but I feel the main title songs should be harder edged for Craig's Bond. You Know My Name got it right and In my opinion even Another Way to Die got it right. Skyfall was good for the tone but it felt more for a Brosnan flick.
    Rock song next would be perfect for me. :)
    I'd be interested in another hard rock song, as well. YKMN and AWTD always get me pumped and excited for what's about to follow in the film.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,745
    I've been listening to the latest Arctic Monkeys album lately and it's great. I'd say they're a pretty likely choice for the next theme too given how popular they are at the moment.

'AM' is my favorite album of all time. They just have a sound that screams Bond to me. I could definitely see them sliding nicely in front of a Craig movie, and the timing is right.

The only thing is the whole 'One Sony' goal where the company would want to use one of the artists they own the label to. Adele matches that. Arctic Monkeys, unfortunately, don't.

To reiterate that list:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Adele
    Alicia Keys
    Ariana Grande
    Beyonce
    Celine Dion
    Chris Daughtry
    Christina Aguilera
    Daft Punk (likely would be paired with another artist)
    Demi Lovato
    Duran Duran
    Foo Fighters
    Gloria Estefan
    George Michael
    Jennifer Lopez
    John Legend
    John Mayer
    Justin Timberlake
    Katy Perry
    Kings Of Leon
    Leona Lewis
    Mariah Carey
    Natasha Bedingfield
    R. Kelly
    Sade
    Santana (likely would be paired with another artist)
    Shakira
    The Strokes
    Usher

Those were the likely possibilities I picked from the full list, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_Music_artists

I am going to pray this rumor is a bad joke
    Risico007 wrote:
    I am going to pray this rumor is a bad joke

Why, because you don't want her returning?
    not in the slightest I am sorry but She doesn't fit the Craig bond's at all plus I felt Skyfall was a weak song
    I think it's time for another instrumental main title sequence. I know that having a famous singer on board is big advertisement and that the song being played on radio + social media helps with the box office but if dozens of movies can be highly succesful without a song (like the Dark Knight Trilogy) then so can Bond 24.

How about a song during the end credits and an instrumental main title sequence?
    Murdock wrote:
    I want another hard rock song. Ballads are fine for say Moore and Brosnan, but I feel the main title songs should be harder edged for Craig's Bond. You Know My Name got it right and In my opinion even Another Way to Die got it right. Skyfall was good for the tone but it felt more for a Brosnan flick.

Actually, Skyfall sounded like a Bond track. And since you're all about "Bond" music, you should love it.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    "An MGM reporter told The Sun". We really must stop posting anything to do with that pathetic excuse for a newspaper, especially after the whole "Bond24 will be called Devil May Care" nonsense.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 5,745
    "An MGM reporter told The Sun". We really must stop posting anything to do with that pathetic excuse for a newspaper, especially after the whole "Bond24 will be called Devil May Care" nonsense.

Really it is just a harmless bit of writing to get some attention to the site. I posted it simply to shift the topic. It is a fact that they have approached her to return. Rare that they do that so early. What interested me was the "..hasn't responded.." part. Not a maybe, not even a phonecall!
    I see no problem in posting things like this and discussing them. Like @JWESTBROOK said, it shifts the topic and gives us something else to discuss. His thread, his rules.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote:

Actually, Skyfall sounded like a Bond track. And since you're all about "Bond" music, you should love it.

Um I do love Skyfall by Adele. I never said it didn't sound Bondian. All I said was Craig's Bond songs should be hard rock since Craig's Bond was more harder edged. /:)
  • Risico007 wrote:
    I'm not even sure those who keep on talking about Academy Awards nominations as a criteria actually mean it. The producers went and look for an Oscar winner with the Skyfall theme, and when they ask a score composer who never won an Oscar to use it to make it better in hope he wins at least one before the end of his career, they're supposed to be .. bad ?! Or maybe they mean they're bad because they keep on casting poor old zero nomination Craig, who I guess, is then supposed to be a bad actor ?

Award shows are nice and all, but if I can now factually state that Andy Samberg is a Golden Globe winner, then I have no hopes in the awards at all. They don't even have a bearing to me in terms of talent any longer. I watch and listen, I know what's good or isn't good, according to my own tastes. On that topic, how did Deakins manage to lose out on cinematography to 'Life of Pi,' which was mostly CG?
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    All I want out of the song is the huge brass ala "Surrender" from TND.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    On that topic, how did Deakins manage to lose out on cinematography to 'Life of Pi,' which was mostly CG?
    Have you seen Life of Pi ? The trailers showed almost nothing of the non-CG scenes, this award is not the joke many seem to think...
    Both Life of Pi and Skyfall were shot with the same camera though !
    Got a little bit into it and just couldn't go any further, it wasn't doing it for me. The cinematography was good, though, just not as great as I thought Deakins' was for SF. I suppose I have a bit of favoritism for Deakins, as I love his work and wanted him to win for 'Prisoners,' as well.
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 2,015
    Well, let's say that to find a "joke" with Oscar winners in this field, Avatar is a much better example than Life of Pi, IMO, if you want to use the fact a massive CG movie could end with a DOP award... At least in Life Of Pi, even in many CG scenes, there was a real actor to light somewhere :) But well, who are we, if 317 professionals say otherwise ?!