SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Happy to see an arc into Bond 25 as long as it involves Quantum!!! [-O<
    By the way I'm hoping that the Daniel Craig era will have a real ending - something that has never been done in the Bond franchise before. I mean DAF didn't provide an ending to the Conenry era, AVTAK didn't provide an ending to the Moore era etc. None of the previous Bond actors had a movie that had a "this is the final movie of this era" feel to it.

The Dark Knight Rises provided a very clever ending to the Dark Knight trilogy and I'm sure something similar can be done with Craig's last Bond movie (which will probably be Bond 25).
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I wouldn't want that but have no idea what they'd do with that idea anyway. It doesn't seem needed.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I wouldn't want that but have no idea what they'd do with that idea anyway. It doesn't seem needed.

Just a few scenarios: Bond dies, Bond retires for real, Bond and a woman fall in love (and the woman doesn't die at the end of the film) etc. The possibilities are endless. ;)
    Shardlake wrote:
    Seeing how Machiavellian Spacey is in House of Cards I would be most intrigued to see him play a Bond villain.

I know he's a big name but when he's on form he's dynamite, I think it's a possibility after Bardem an Oscar winning actor having been in Skyfall plus his connection with Mendes.

SF had probably more A-list talent on board than any other Bond film, and it was arguably the most successful Bond film ever made. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not. But either way, I suspect Miccoli will stick with the formula and pack B24 with A-list talent, too.

Then again CR was mostly made of a cast of unknown. So they can go either way with Bond 24.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Samuel001 wrote:

Just a few scenarios: Bond dies, Bond retires for real, Bond and a woman fall in love (and the woman doesn't die at the end of the film) etc. The possibilities are endless. ;)

Bond doesn't need an ending. He doesn't need to and nor should he ever die. What the Craig movies should definitely strive for at least for Bond 24 is for him to have his, 'oh James' moment at the end with the leading lady (p.s. said Bond girl should NOT actually say the words, 'oh James').
    I hope they'll film the next two 007 movies with Craig in one running in that way Craig will look the same age in both movies and fiancially it would make sense for EON. With an extra movie on the shelves they have some extra time to invest looking for the next 007.
    Samuel001 wrote:

As endless as they are unnecessary.

What Nolan did made a certain amount of sense only because the Batman franchise had been driven against the wall.
    No matter how many people loath DAD, it wasn´t causing the Bond franchise any trouble whatsoever, quite the opposite.
    Moreover, an "ending of an era" would be too self-conscious. It´s ok if Bond as a character is self-reflecting, but by no means should a film (like SF) be that way, let alone the series on the whole.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2014 Posts: 28,694
    SaintMark wrote:
    I hope they'll film the next two 007 movies with Craig in one running in that way Craig will look the same age in both movies and fiancially it would make sense for EON. With an extra movie on the shelves they have some extra time to invest looking for the next 007.

That will likely never happen. The first draft script for Bond 24 isn't even done yet, so I doubt Logan is going to want to head directly into another long writing process after he submits draft after draft of this one. I'd want a break from the material for a while.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In that Empire interview, he says he hasn't even thought about staring the script for 'Bond 25,' so it's obvious they won't do them back-to-back. In story, maybe, but not in filming.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2014 Posts: 12,459
    I just noticed this; maybe you all talked about it a page or so back. But the new article on our homepage here lists the returning cast of Bond 24 - and it has "expected" in some categories ... including the composer as David Arnold. I didn't know it was as strong a sure thing as expected.
    What do you feel about that? I would be happy, but a bit surprised it is not Newman. If not Newman, there must have been more fallout behind the scenes than we are aware of (well, maybe James Page is aware; but most of would not be aware I think).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    What kind of fallout are we talking about here? I wasn't aware of any major rifts in the Newman department.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    edited March 2014 Posts: 2,535
    :-O :-O :-O

Great point, @4EverBonded!

Indeed, we, Arnoldlovers, expect him to come back! James Page knows more??
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited March 2014 Posts: 4,012
    I just noticed this; maybe you all talked about it a page or so back. But the new article on our homepage here lists the returning cast of Bond 24 - and it has "expected" in some categories ... including the composer as David Arnold. I didn't know it was as strong a sure thing as expected.
    What do you feel about that? I would be happy, but a bit surprised it is not Newman. If not Newman, there must have been more fallout behind the scenes than we are aware of (well, maybe James Page is aware; but most of would not be aware I think).

Well spotted @4EverBonded!
    ggl007 wrote:
    :-O :-O :-O

Great point, @4EverBonded!

Indeed, we, Arnoldlovers, expect him to come back! James Page knows more??

:-? I wonder

EDIT: what do you say I ask Arnold?
  • There's an error in that MI6 list of credits. It says the title for Broccoli and Wilson is "executive producer." It should be "producer." With movies, executive producer ranks below producer. (On television, it's the highest ranking producer title.) In Skyfall, Callum McDougall was the executive producer on Skyfall, for example, while Broccoli and Wilson were the producers.
  • RC7RC7
    There's an error in that MI6 list of credits. It says the title for Broccoli and Wilson is "executive producer." It should be "producer." With movies, executive producer ranks below producer. (On television, it's the highest ranking producer title.) In Skyfall, Callum McDougall was the executive producer on Skyfall, for example, while Broccoli and Wilson were the producers.

And in both cases the Exec does nowhere near the work of a Producer.
    All I had heard was that Newman did not want to put the Skyfall theme woven into the soundtrack and had to be coaxed or pushed into doing that; and pretty much the same thing for the James Bond theme. There was more than that, but that is what I remember clearly enough. If James Page is listing (or who is it making that list?) David Arnold as "expected" that is a strong endorsement, I feel.

I would be really happy for Arnold to return. I was okay with Newman returning if he gave us more this time. The man is talented. I think - just pure speculation - that Newman maybe feels that one Bond film was enough for his repertoire, especially if there was a back and forth tug of war about some things.

I'd love some confirmation on the composer asap!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    If Newman had such issues then he had no business scoring the movie in the first place. I really hope he doesn't come back.
    I am only guessing the issues arose as the work was being done. He and Mendes have had a good partnership in the past. But Bond films are different - they have that special touch, and that part of what makes a Bond film a Bond film are the things like the theme song woven in and the use of the James Bond theme at times. It does not have to be overdone, but it is the flavor, part of what makes a Bond film unique and special, of being immersed in Bond's world, not just any action/spy adventure. Newman certainly does not need to prove himself in his profession, so I think, since it seems apparently he did not agree with those things in general about the score, that he felt didn't need the hassle by doing it a second time. And maybe the producers did not want him back so very strongly.

Oh, this is still all speculation. But when I see "expected" and David Arnold's name I think Arnold is a definitely stronger likelihood than I had previously thought. Which, overall for me, is a good thing. :)
    @4EverBonded, those were my thoughts when I checked the home page earlier today and saw that he was 'expected,' not 'rumored.'
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited March 2014 Posts: 13,350
    Dennis Gassner was also confirmed as Production Designer in February last year. There is no need for the 'expected' by his credit.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    All I had heard was that Newman did not want to put the Skyfall theme woven into the soundtrack and had to be coaxed or pushed into doing that; and pretty much the same thing for the James Bond theme. There was more than that, but that is what I remember clearly enough.

You are bang on the money.
    For once. :D

For once. :D

Give yourself more credit than that!
    Well, I do decently when it comes to my Bond knowledge, but I am not always on the mark about some things. :-B

Nice to have have this info leaning into becoming more of a reality ... Arnold, Arnold, Arnold!
    Don't forget that back at the end of 2010 David Arnold himself said that Bond 23 is back on, clearly indicating that he was on board at the time. (http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=9110) That was a pretty strong confirmation yet he still didn't end up scoring Skyfall. I would say that anything can happen.

If Newman is open to scoring another Bond film and Mendes wants to work with him again it would be really embarassing if the producers didn't let Mendes chose him again since Newman delivered the first Academy Award nominated Bond score since 1977. I don't care if people say Newman got a nomination only because of his name, the score of Skyfall is truly unique, much better than anything Arnold has ever done and most importanty incredibly bondian.
    JamesPage wrote:
    You are bang on the money.

If that's true than the producers are complete morons when it comes to the soundtrack. How much of the GE theme was incorporated in the soundtrack of the movie? How about DAD, QOS, TND etc. etc.??? How much James Bond theme did CR or QOS have??? Do the producers have selective memories or are they getting senile? I love what they have done with the Bond franchise since 2006 but that doesn't mean I will agree with their every decision.

I would have loved to see Barbara Brocolli's & Michael G. Wilson's faces when Skyfall received an Oscar nomination in the 'Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score' category! :)) =)) :bz
    Gee, someone else besides me enjoys using the emoticons. :) That's nice.

I like much of Skyfall's score, actually; but it was not great. Newman could have been great, and the lack of theme woven in (especially such a lovely, melodic theme) and lack of James Bond theme was not good, in my opinion.

If Newman is back, I am not horribly upset; I just want more from him. But it does seem we may be getting Arnold - and he did improve over time, I was happy with him.

As for GE, one of the biggest complaints at that time (including loudly from me) was the lack of James Bond theme in it - and that was corrected for TND.

:)>-
  • edited March 2014 Posts: 4,619
    Skyfall used the James Bond theme about twice as often than CR and QOS combined.
    Anyway, even if Newman doesn't return I really really really hope Mendes gets to chose a composer completely new to the franchise rather than bringing back David Arnold again.

David Arnold would be a terribly boring, uninspired and corporatist choice and clearly a producer's choice rather than the director's.

Barbara and Michael were practically begging Mendes to come back. I hope Mendes was clever enough to set a few conditions like having the right not to chose Arnold.

(Off topic: Isn't it time to open separate threads for every major Bond 24 news/topics? Using this thread for everything will make things very messy.)
    I like keeping the production news on one thread, I think it is actually easier to get to to stay current and to go back and see the entire line of news as it develops.

I respect your opinion; you did not enjoy Arnold, that is understood. Plenty of people enjoyed Arnold's work, though. And this is not confirmed news yet, though it looks more likely. They could bring in a totally new composer at the last moment. However, I am happy with Arnold if he does come back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If not Arnold then Michael Giacchino. "The Incredibles." Nuff said.