SPECTRE Production Timeline

16061636566871

Comments

  • Posts: 4,619
    Skyfall was the biggest movie by Sony in 2012 both in the UK and worldwide and one of the biggest Sony movies of all time. There is absolutely no reason to be worried about budget cuts. Sure, they might cut the budgets of smaller films and halt the development of financially riskier films but this is Bond! It's a cash cow!

    (Having said that, I belive a budget cut is not necessarily a bad thing at all.)
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,985
    Sony had all the benefits of the Amazing Spiderman (Marvel sold their share to them in return for the merchandising). It only had 1/3rd (according to some sources) of the benefits of Skyfall, the biggest shares were for MGM and EON despite Sony spending the money. So they made more money from TASM I think.

    Consequences : TASM2 almost ready, and they have already announced dates for TASM 3 and 4. Bond 24, 25 and 26 ? Less so.
  • Posts: 7,561
    I am hoping to get some more concrete info I would assume locations will be cemented by july right?
  • Posts: 2,482
    “That was really exciting, because I wanted to make women think to themselves,..."

    Bla, bla, bla... Harris talks like the 1960's has just ended.
  • Posts: 12,491
    Germanlady wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    So another low key bond affair.....

    Sigh

    I think, people are overreacting and reading a meaning into this, that is not confirmed as going to happen.
    This whole affair might not effect Bond 24 at all. Plus, saying "No" to ideas overall, might not be a bad ting after all. We know, there is a lot of b'''s''' in the movies, that makes no sense and is unneccesary.

    Agreed. I mean, what could Harris say? "Oh well, from what I know I am going to answer the phone and look pretty." Of course actors when they have a role, however minor, say that the director has some interesting directions to take the character to. And however minor, a role can shine and be sent to interesting directions, without detrimenting the main characters. It took Lois Maxwell one tearful smile at the end of OHMSS.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    Posts: 11,715
    Ludovico wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    So another low key bond affair.....

    Sigh

    I think, people are overreacting and reading a meaning into this, that is not confirmed as going to happen.
    This whole affair might not effect Bond 24 at all. Plus, saying "No" to ideas overall, might not be a bad ting after all. We know, there is a lot of b'''s''' in the movies, that makes no sense and is unneccesary.

    Agreed. I mean, what could Harris say? "Oh well, from what I know I am going to answer the phone and look pretty." Of course actors when they have a role, however minor, say that the director has some interesting directions to take the character to. And however minor, a role can shine and be sent to interesting directions, without detrimenting the main characters. It took Lois Maxwell one tearful smile at the end of OHMSS.

    This is very good thinking. I agree.
    I do think this Moneypenny will be doing more, and I am fine with that. But your point is well taken, Ludovico. Of course she would say something like that no matter what, that is natural for an actor; and of course we have seen how a good actor can make an impression with little or no dialog.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,482
    Speaking of OHMSS, what Steven Soderbergh says about Lazenby is a good point and it's how I feel about Daniel Craig in terms of his one liners as they don't really harmonise with his overall take on the character:

    "What seems obvious to me, though, is no one was helping him during the shoot or the edit (they won’t even let him finish a fucking sentence onscreen). It feels like everyone was so focused on what he wasn’t (Sean Connery) that they didn’t take the time to figure out what he was (a cool-looking dude with genuine presence and great physicality). For instance, they should have known that a lot of the one-liners that would have worked with Connery don’t work with Lazenby. This isn’t because he’s bad, it’s because his entire affect is different, less glib. This, to me, is a lack of sensitivity and understanding on the part of the filmmakers and not a shortcoming of the lead actor, because Lazenby has one thing you can’t fake, which is a certain kind of gravitas. Despite this, there is no attempt to bring it out or amplify it, which is a huge missed opportunity."

    **************************

    A lower budget Bond film would be great. I'd welcome a more grounded, suspenseful, taught spy thriller like Dr No and FRWL with some great character movement. It's not going to happen though.
  • Posts: 12,491
    Interesting but she doesn't really say much. And what she says about her character is to be expected.
  • Posts: 7,561
    Really hope we don't get a low budget bond film I want bond to go out into the world not be stuck in London the whole movie
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 32,869
    Risico007 wrote:
    Really hope we don't get a low budget bond film I want bond to go out into the world not be stuck in London the whole movie

    When has Bond been stuck in London during an entire film?
  • Posts: 7,561
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Risico007 wrote:
    Really hope we don't get a low budget bond film I want bond to go out into the world not be stuck in London the whole movie

    When has Bond been stuck in London during an entire film?

    I am just nervous about the latest rumor I am sure it's in vain but it is what it is.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 32,869
    That the budget will be lowered? The same rumor was said about SF. Don't let it get to you.
  • Bond 24 will not suffer any budget-cuts. It has to be stated that MGM payed for Skyfall and Sony only distributed it.

    MGM is now a production company that needs help from the major studios to distribute their movies worldwide. In the case of SF Sony filled this role, with the Hobbit for instance it was Warner Bros.

    Bond 24 will have the red-carpet rolled out for it especially since Mendes is returning.

    Mendes has stated that SF did suffer from budget-cuts. This is clear in many regards from the production. Firstly, India was too costly and logisicallty a big headache and Mendes had to switch to the cheaper and more efficient Istanbul. In his commentary track he laments the loss of India as a locale. Furthermore, the production was mostly bound to Pinewood with none of the main unit going any further. Mendes was clever about these production limitations by setting the movie primarily in London.

    I was a little disappointed before I saw SF because I thought we would not get the typical amount of globe-trotting associated with Bond (ala QOS) but London plays such a central role in the film and it works fantastically in the finished product.

    The reason why SF was on a relatively short-lead (it still most definitely had a tentpole-sized budget) was because of the MGM bankruptcy issues still hanging over. Those issues have began to disappear now mainly thanks to the success of SF.
  • Posts: 6,396
    Why do people think the budget is going to be dramatically slashed for the next film? Considering SF was MGM and Sony's biggest every earner, do you really think it makes good business sense to penalise Bond for the studio's (particularly Sony) other flops this year? The answer is No. It will be good business to green light whatever budget EON require, thrown up another big marketing campaign and another successful return at the box office is pretty much guaranteed.
  • Posts: 1,778
    I think people are looking into this way to much. The budget will be fine. And the movie will be great.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2013 Posts: 3,347
    MGM/Sony making the movie and Sony/Fox distributed it.
    Fox making the documentry's together with Mgm since 2000. DAD be MGM/Fox and also distributed. There are the one who be responsible for delay of DAD in The Netherlands and choose of Madonna and Halle Barrey. That's why we get a amazing DAD dvd (First 20 movies and QOS be distributed by Mgm/Fox on dvd.) and very disapointed DVD and BD release of QOS. For CR it be MGM Sony and Sony distributed and it be Sony mabey whant to follow the TDK trend in Skyfall like there did with 24 elements in CR.

    Mabey this Yes / No discussion be some kind of comment on QOS and Skyfall, because QOS (and Skyfall on view points too) be very creative (something you mabey not see as one view), exept that some fans on this forum and media think QOS follows to much the Bourne trend. And Skyfall steels more from other none Bond movies. The home alone reference are also reference to Twine, so not very big problem. But that digital filming trend.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,482
    Bond 24 will not suffer any budget-cuts. It has to be stated that MGM payed for Skyfall and Sony only distributed it.

    MGM is now a production company that needs help from the major studios to distribute their movies worldwide. In the case of SF Sony filled this role, with the Hobbit for instance it was Warner Bros.

    Bond 24 will have the red-carpet rolled out for it especially since Mendes is returning.

    Mendes has stated that SF did suffer from budget-cuts. This is clear in many regards from the production. Firstly, India was too costly and logisicallty a big headache and Mendes had to switch to the cheaper and more efficient Istanbul. In his commentary track he laments the loss of India as a locale. Furthermore, the production was mostly bound to Pinewood with none of the main unit going any further. Mendes was clever about these production limitations by setting the movie primarily in London.

    I was a little disappointed before I saw SF because I thought we would not get the typical amount of globe-trotting associated with Bond (ala QOS) but London plays such a central role in the film and it works fantastically in the finished product.

    The reason why SF was on a relatively short-lead (it still most definitely had a tentpole-sized budget) was because of the MGM bankruptcy issues still hanging over. Those issues have began to disappear now mainly thanks to the success of SF.

    I miss the older Connery Bond films when Bond wasn't globe trotting but where the movie took place almost entirely in one location as in the books. He got to experience the culture which is the essence of the books that the Connery films were more faithful too. Bond himself is a cultural icon.

    Anyway, the budget won't be "dramatically slashed" and unfortunately Bond will probably be globe trotting again.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Dancing at midnight under the BeBop Moon
    Posts: 11,715
    I think the budget will be plenty adequate. And I think Mendes would have made sure of that, as much as possible anyway, before he signed back on for this next one.
  • Posts: 1,778
    I think the budget will be plenty adequate. And I think Mendes would have made sure of that, as much as possible anyway, before he signed back on for this next one.

    I agree. IMO Mendes is getting whatever he wants for Bond 24
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 1,985
    About those claiming no budget cuts happened during the preparation and shooting of SF, that they were just rumors, ok, it was never officially announced but these things are never announced !

    Deakins interview :
    "How about for the Shanghai fight sequence? How much planning went into that and the use of neon lights?

    Well, there was a lot of planning for that. Originally, it was talked about shooting that on location in Shanghai, because we were actually going to do a lot of shooting in Shanghai. That got whittled down, so we didn’t do much there. (...)"
    http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/roger-deakins-skyfall-jgiro.php

    And Danny Boyle told publicly about Mendes telling him he had to deal with budgets cuts, in an Empire or Total Film interview, adding that he really would not like to have to be in such a position, etc.

    And finally, if you think Sony is a company that can roll the red-carpet to anyone these days :
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-credit-rating-downgrade-20131101,0,6605960.story#axzz2ltXEy
    "Sony credit rating could be downgraded to junk"
    And for your information, MGM's credit rating is still below Sony's ! Not sure they got plenty of money to borrow to fulfill any artist's wish.

    You may wonder why Eon keeps on having partners with so many financial issues over the years. Well, at least the good side is that Eon still has lots of power after all these years...

    No one knows what will happen. But to think Bond 24 is "protected" is a big mistake I think (Sony made more from TASM, remember, and they can plan to have a TASM movie every 2 years without waiting for EON, TASM3 is planned for 2016 and TASM4 for 2018). But the last announcements are not good news for anyone involved IMO.

  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,482
    About those claiming no budget cuts happened during the preparation and shooting of SF, that they were just rumors, ok, it was never officially announced but these things are never announced !

    Deakins interview :
    "How about for the Shanghai fight sequence? How much planning went into that and the use of neon lights?

    Well, there was a lot of planning for that. Originally, it was talked about shooting that on location in Shanghai, because we were actually going to do a lot of shooting in Shanghai. That got whittled down, so we didn’t do much there. (...)"
    http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/roger-deakins-skyfall-jgiro.php


    And Danny Boyle told publicly about Mendes telling him he had to deal with budgets cuts, in an Empire or Total Film interview, adding that he really would not like to have to be in such a position, etc.

    And finally, if you think Sony is a company that can roll the red-carpet to anyone these days :
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-sony-credit-rating-downgrade-20131101,0,6605960.story#axzz2ltXEy
    "Sony credit rating could be downgraded to junk"
    And for your information, MGM's credit rating is still below Sony's ! Not sure they got plenty of money to borrow to fulfill any artist's wish.

    You may wonder why Eon keeps on having partners with so many financial issues over the years. Well, at least the good side is that Eon still has lots of power after all these years...

    No one knows what will happen. But to think Bond 24 is "protected" is a big mistake I think (Sony made more from TASM, remember, and they can plan to have a TASM movie every 2 years without waiting for EON, TASM3 is planned for 2016 and TASM4 for 2018). But the last announcements are not good news for anyone involved IMO.

    That's a pity. I would have loved to have seen more shooting in Shanghai. The scenes in Shanghai were so brief, I don't even know why they even went there. If they're thinking about using an interesting location but haven't enough money to do any justice to the locale as in Skyfall, then they might as well save some dough and not even bother using it. They may as well have just shot all of Bond 23 in London and Scotland. The Shanghai skyline at night looks nice though.

    There might very well be cuts for Bond 24 but I don't think there will be dramatic ones.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 6,601
    @parachute: I believe, its common knowledge, that there were cuts for SF, which makes sense, considering where MGM came from at that time.
    You stated somewhere above, that there is no release date for 24, which is not true.

    On a whole I think, the thread title should be changed back, because we have read NOWHERE, that 24 will have cuts on its budget and sounding like this, its misunderstandable.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Germanlady wrote:
    On a whole I think, the thread title should be changed back, because we have read NOWHERE, that 24 will have cuts on its budget and sounding like this, its misunderstandable.

    The title will change when there's a suitable topic to discuss. We have read that Sony is losing interest in the film business and will be making cuts on their current properties. Bond is one of those properties. The point of this thread, and the point of the current title, is to evoke conversation. Like, "When they say they're making cuts, do they mean Bond?" etc.

    That's a Bond 24 production question, so it fits snugly in this little thread of ours.
    Bounine wrote:
    Anyway, the budget won't be "dramatically slashed" and unfortunately Bond will probably be globe trotting again.

    Would Ireland be considered 'globe trotting'? There are rumors...

    Bond 24 will not suffer any budget-cuts. It has to be stated that MGM payed for Skyfall and Sony only distributed it.

    MGM is now a production company that needs help from the major studios to distribute their movies worldwide. In the case of SF Sony filled this role, with the Hobbit for instance it was Warner Bros.

    Yes but doesn't the distributor take control of marketing? Or is that the production company? Marketing is usually almost half the budget of a major picture..
  • Posts: 11,937
    Bond 24 will cost whatever it will cost? After Skyfall's B/O take? I would be very surprised if they started to try and make it on the cheap? Besides i don't think Babs and MGW would allow that to happen anyway?
  • Posts: 6,601
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    On a whole I think, the thread title should be changed back, because we have read NOWHERE, that 24 will have cuts on its budget and sounding like this, its misunderstandable.

    The title will change when there's a suitable topic to discuss. We have read that Sony is losing interest in the film business and will be making cuts on their current properties. Bond is one of those properties. The point of this thread, and the point of the current title, is to evoke conversation. Like, "When they say they're making cuts, do they mean Bond?" etc.

    Don't agree, because its an assumption and we have no proof, Bond is concerned, just because its a Sony property. Its good to discuss it, but the title is still sounding, like Sony has announced, Bond will be cut, which is not the case. That's all ;)
  • Posts: 2,482
    "Would Ireland be considered 'globe trotting'? There are rumors..."

    @JWESTBROOK I always thought that globetrotting was when someone goes to many different countries in one film. If Bond were to go to no more than two in the film excluding London, his home base, I'd be happy.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Posts: 13,236
    He did that last time. UK, China and Turkey.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Posts: 2,042
    I have a hard time seeing that anything as serious as moving the release date or anything like that to happen. But there may be budget cuts, sure. But what we have to know is that we don't know how much Skyfall cost, or exactly how much money were slashed from the production. And either way, the film payed back and hold a high technical quality. So the budget for Bond 24 may be smaller, but the film can turn out just as good or better with the right cast and crew in place!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 13,236
    The budget was $135 million - $150 million, with some saying $200 million, which is equal to Quantum Of Solace if that were the case.
Sign In or Register to comment.