Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 2,598
    I think the trailer looks good but I wish Superman's hair was slicked back. Glad they got rid of the underpants he used to wear on the outside. I love the new, improved suit. The only thing I have always thought was stupid about Superman is that he doesn't wear a mask over his face. It's just ridiculous to think that no one would recognise that he's also Clark or vice versa. Wearing glasses is no disguise. Whether he'll even be wearing them in this film I don't know.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bounine wrote:
    I think the trailer looks good but I wish Superman's hair was slicked back. Glad they got rid of the underpants he used to wear on the outside. I love the new, improved suit. The only thing I have always thought was stupid about Superman is that he doesn't wear a mask over his face. It's just ridiculous to think that no one would recognise that he's also Clark or vice versa. Wearing glasses is no disguise. Whether he'll even be wearing them in this film I don't know.

Lois can win a damn Pulitzer yet she can't distinguish a man with and without glasses. :))
    We have yet to see Clark Kent with glasses so I'm wondering if we'll be getting a new realistic take on the Daily Planet Clark Kent
    I know they would never do this as it would be deemed too much of a change and the hardcore purists would be in an uproar but I wish for this movie which seems like it's more on the darker, realistic side (aside for Superman having powers which ofcourse you can't count) that they gave Superman a blue mask matching his suit that is similar to Robin's mask but that also maybe covers his nose and mouth with a hole of course so people can hear him talk. It wouldn't cover his whole face but under the eyes it would form into a concave shape on either side so it just covers the nose and mouth. Then there would be an overlap under his chin maybe.

Or we could go the other way and Kent could use some latex to dsiguise his face more but this probably wouldn't go down well. No, scrap this idea. :)

Infact since Superman has super powers he should be able to just change the appearance of his face by merely thinking about it. He would only adopt two versions though. He could have a handsome but different face for when he's Clark Kent then the face he was born with for Superman. Yes, I like this idea best if I do say so myself. :)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 4,813
    ^ That sounds like some 70's Silver Age wackiness. I'm more of the opinion that Superman wears no mask to give the public the impression that he is Superman and nothing else- nobody would bother looking for anyone else (as opposed to Batman, who wears a mask, and clearly is someone else)

*Edit Actually @Bounine- I just remembered an OLD Superman comic I have where he did in fact do something similar to what you suggested- As Clark, he subconsciously hypnotized everyone he looked at so they would see 'Clark' as very average looking. This comic must have been 60's or 70's. I'll check when I get home
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,432
    Its down to character that no one would even think that Clark is superman. Superman stands tall confident and direct, superman is a stoic figure. Clark is bumbling and slumps. Clark wears oversized clothes in some depictions to hide his physique. Lois has many times almost put two and two together though because of Clarks convincing character Lois dismisses that Clark could be superman.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,107
    Its a comic book world where all is possible even that no one notice that superman is Clark Kent.
    Its down to character that no one would even think that Clark is superman. Superman stands tall confident and direct, superman is a stoic figure. Clark is bumbling and slumps. Clark wears oversized clothes in some depictions to hide his physique. Lois has many times almost put two and two together though because of Clarks convincing character Lois dismisses that Clark could be superman.

I haven't read any of the comics but in the films and that series Louis and Clark, how could anyone not know that Clark and Superman are the same person?! :)

In the trailer, Costner says to the young Superman "you have to keep this side of yourself a secret" after he saves the other kids on the bus. It doesn't seem like the older Clark is too concerned about this when all he wears to disguise his actual face is a pair of glasses. Maybe in this film he'll grow a beard in a few seconds each time he's Clark. We haven't seen any glasses yet. A beard would be a better disguise but still not convincing. I know it's always been like this but it's just something I have never liked about the world of Superman.

"Its a comic book world where all is possible even that no one notice that superman is Clark Kent."

I think it's good to have a bit of realism that revolves around the impossible providing it's set on earth which it is for the most part. I like the idea of Superman hypnotising people so his facial appearance changes.

^ That sounds like some 70's Silver Age wackiness. I'm more of the opinion that Superman wears no mask to give the public the impression that he is Superman and nothing else- nobody would bother looking for anyone else (as opposed to Batman, who wears a mask, and clearly is someone else)

*Edit Actually @Bounine- I just remembered an OLD Superman comic I have where he did in fact do something similar to what you suggested- As Clark, he subconsciously hypnotized everyone he looked at so they would see 'Clark' as very average looking. This comic must have been 60's or 70's. I'll check when I get home
    Found it! I took a pic of the part I was referring to

adv330s.jpg
    Superman2.jpg?t=1356114098
    Superman3.jpg?t=1356114104

Pretty goofy- but as this is now like two reboots ago I don't buy it one bit. I'm sticking with my own theory of 'Superman must not be anyone else', and I'm not the first guy to say it

I mean think about it-- if there was this superhuman guy flying around helping people, doing god-like feats, and not even trying to hide his face, would you concern yourself with trying to find him hidden amongst the ordinary people? No- to the people of Metropolis, they must assume that Superman is Superman, and nothing else
    Bounine wrote:

I haven't read any of the comics but in the films and that series Louis and Clark, how could anyone not know that Clark and Superman are the same person?! :)

In the trailer, Costner says to the young Superman "you have to keep this side of yourself a secret" after he saves the other kids on the bus. It doesn't seem like the older Clark is too concerned about this when all he wears to disguise his actual face is a pair of glasses. Maybe in this film he'll grow a beard in a few seconds each time he's Clark. We haven't seen any glasses yet. A beard would be a better disguise but still not convincing. I know it's always been like this but it's just something I have never liked about the world of Superman.

"Its a comic book world where all is possible even that no one notice that superman is Clark Kent."

I think it's good to have a bit of realism that revolves around the impossible providing it's set on earth which it is for the most part. I like the idea of Superman hypnotising people so his facial appearance changes.

Lois and Clark admittedly was not the best depiction of superman, Dean Cain not the greatest of actors. And in that show it was blatant they were the same person. Though if i remember correctly in Lois and Clark when Lois became ultra woman, Clark implys that supermans powers that were transferred to Lois, made people not recognise her when dressed as ultra woman.

Also with regards to whether people would recognise Clark as superman, firstly very few would likely consider superman would have a alter ego. Frank miller said metropolis was new York in the day time, new York has almost a 19 million population. That's alot of people to search amongst to try to find out who superman could be. Superman only needs to deceive those few in close contact with him on a daily basis.
  • Ultrawoman : It's Perry and Jimmy.
    They're going to know me!
    Superman: No, they won't.
    Ultrawoman : How blind do you
    think people are?

"Superman only needs to deceive those few in close contact with him on a daily basis."

That's true but seeing he always seems to be saving Lois Lane who sees both him and Clark up close it just seems a bit crazy to me.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bounine wrote:
    "Superman only needs to deceive those few in close contact with him on a daily basis."

That's true but seeing he always seems to be saving Lois Lane who sees both him and Clark up close it just seems a bit crazy to me.
    That's comic book logic for you. Nothing you can do.
    Mmm. I was originally saying that that's the only thing I don't like about the world of Superman.
    Bounine wrote:

Lois is constantly almost figuring it out and finds out eventually and marries him, so in the long run it does not work with Lois.
    Oh, they got married? Did this happen in the comics? What year?
    I forget exactly- mid 90's ish. Definitely after he died and came back (because he finally cut his atrocious long hair for the wedding)

16.supermullet.jpg

But with the New 52, that has been undone, so if you were to go out and but a current comic today, they would not be married
    Damn, Superman looks real bad arse in that pic! Never seen him with long hair. Merry Christmas!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    New "full" photo has been revealed:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98592
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Let's hope this works, eh? It may be another The Amazing Spider-Man or like any other reboot. Really, it's not needed and can't add anything.

Or am I just a stick in the mud?
    Good film or not, the possibility of Cavill being Bond, like Superman himself, have flown far far away. Hell, it was never a real possibility anyway, but whatever...
  • http://www.cracked.com/blog/3-movies-they-dont-make-anymore-but-really-should/

Aside from the bit during the Die Hard entry where he compares Bond to Bourne I completely agree with this.

It sums up my thoughts about this film and Die Hard 5 (although I'm more optimistic about that as I didn't mind the 4th film).
  • New shots of the figs- including Zod, so they're behind the spoiler tag
    man-of-steel-supeman-mattel.jpgman-of-steel-supeman-mattel-06.jpg
    Man-of-steel-Supeman-Mattel-09.jpg
  • Everyone is excited to see the man of steel, but the best superman will always be :

SUPER_CHRISTOPHER_REEVE_by_supersebas.jpg

Christopher Reeve.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Reeve although it was only a pair of glasses as his disguise was so adept and making a strong distinction between his Clark and his Superman. I will be interested to see how Cavill handles this with his Kent/Superman.

Going on about whether he's easily recognisable it's just a pair of glasses is a little silly when you consider we are talking about a Super alien god who can fly, I think we just need to except it this is comic book world, sometimes debating such things is rather pointless a degree of suspension of disbelief should be in order, we are Bond fans guys.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    It's common knowledge now that back in the early to mid 90's Nic Cage was cast as Superman in a TIm Burton movie that ended up getting canceled. There's a photoshopped image of Cage in costume floating around out there that people think is the real deal, but no. For a genuine glimpse at those test photos of Nic Cage in costume as Superman, check out below.

I put it behind the spoiler tag instead of just posting the image because it happens to be gigantic, and while I can't speak for everyone, I know that always annoyed me.

click?format=go&drKey=1072&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spawnboards.com%2Findex.cgi%3Fboard%3Dent%26action%3Ddisplay%26thread%3D16783&v=1&libid=1359456802956&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsupermanhomepage.com%2Fimages%2Fsuperman-lives%2F130128-Cage.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spawnboards.com%2Findex.cgi%3Fboard%3Dent&title=Unofficial%20Spawn%20forums%20-%20Nic%20Cage%20as%20Superman%20(REAL%20Photo)&txt=click%20here&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13594568106432

God forgive me-- that actually doesn't look that bad....

Except for Cage's ugly noggin that is.
    I mean, taking into account that this was from the early to mid 90's, and Batman looked just like that back then, yeah, the Superman costume isn't awful

• It's common knowledge now that back in the early to mid 90's Nic Cage was cast as Superman in a TIm Burton movie that ended up getting canceled. There's a photoshopped image of Cage in costume floating around out there that people think is the real deal, but no. For a genuine glimpse at those test photos of Nic Cage in costume as Superman, check out below.

I put it behind the spoiler tag instead of just posting the image because it happens to be gigantic, and while I can't speak for everyone, I know that always annoyed me.

click?format=go&drKey=1072&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spawnboards.com%2Findex.cgi%3Fboard%3Dent%26action%3Ddisplay%26thread%3D16783&v=1&libid=1359456802956&out=http%3A%2F%2Fsupermanhomepage.com%2Fimages%2Fsuperman-lives%2F130128-Cage.jpg&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.spawnboards.com%2Findex.cgi%3Fboard%3Dent&title=Unofficial%20Spawn%20forums%20-%20Nic%20Cage%20as%20Superman%20(REAL%20Photo)&txt=click%20here&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13594568106432

God forgive me-- that actually doesn't look that bad....

Except for Cage's ugly noggin that is.
    I mean, taking into account that this was from the early to mid 90's, and Batman looked just like that back then, yeah, the Superman costume isn't awful

I wonder how Nicholas Cage as Supes would've worked out... he's a good actor all right but I'm more comfortable watching him in films which exercise his acting skills more, like Leaving Las Vegas, instead of big-time action-films. The picture above leaves us with a big question mark on how Tim Burton's Superman starring Nic Cage would've been,

As for the costume: the muscles are obviously fake and it could've been good if not only for Nic's thinning hair.
    Wesley Strick's SUPERMAN LIVES Script Hits the Web
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Jolt17/news/?a=73490#AIAl6eIvbOuoCDyk.99
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Dalton12 wrote:
    Wesley Strick's SUPERMAN LIVES Script Hits the Web
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Jolt17/news/?a=73490#AIAl6eIvbOuoCDyk.99
    Nicolas Cage as Superman?!...
    :|

=))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bounine wrote:
    I know they would never do this as it would be deemed too much of a change and the hardcore purists would be in an uproar but I wish for this movie which seems like it's more on the darker, realistic side (aside for Superman having powers which ofcourse you can't count) that they gave Superman a blue mask matching his suit that is similar to Robin's mask but that also maybe covers his nose and mouth with a hole of course so people can hear him talk. It wouldn't cover his whole face but under the eyes it would form into a concave shape on either side so it just covers the nose and mouth. Then there would be an overlap under his chin maybe.

Or we could go the other way and Kent could use some latex to dsiguise his face more but this probably wouldn't go down well. No, scrap this idea. :)

Infact since Superman has super powers he should be able to just change the appearance of his face by merely thinking about it. He would only adopt two versions though. He could have a handsome but different face for when he's Clark Kent then the face he was born with for Superman. Yes, I like this idea best if I do say so myself. :)

There'll be a vertically challenged, albino James Bond before they give cinematic superman a face mask.