Man of Steel (2013)

gt007gt007 Station G
edited August 2014 in General Movies & TV Posts: 1,182
David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan will write the new Superman movie, to be titled "The Man of Steel." The rumored story involves Luthor and Brainiac. It is not an origin and assumes audiences already know about Lois, Clark, Jimmy and Perry. The Daily Planet is struggling due to the internet. Goyer is expected to take the movies back to the John Byrne incarnation and set up a huge Kryptonian mythology.

(Source : <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=63615">comingsoon.net</a>;)

Henry Cavill is the new Clark Kent/Superman. Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are playing Martha and Jonathan Kent. And as it was announced a few minutes ago, <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75639">Amy Adams is Lois Lane</a>.

What do you think about this movie? Personally, I'm looking forward to it. We haven't seen a decent Superman Movie in decades. And since Christopher Nolan is involved, this has a great chance of beeing the movie we haven't seen. And of course it can't possibly go as wrong as the terrible <i>Superman Returns</i>.

<b>Update:</b> The film was moved to summer 2013.

Comments

• Is it really that hard to cast a decent Lois Lane?

http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp296/hawksgirljaime/FVBabes/Erica_Durance6.jpg

I guess not. Yet somehow the movies have trouble with it.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Amy Adams. Sounds like a good choice to me.

Here's hoping for a great film, it's got some tough competition to face...
    well it is nice to see that superman series will revive.who knows maybe it will be good as batman series,or spiderman
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited March 2011 Posts: 4,399
    i'm personally getting a little tired of Christopher Nolan being attached to everything - and that ultimately meaning the movie is going to be phenomenal...... i like his movies - but not his obsessive following.... i said it before on other forums, and i'll say it here The Dark Knight was a blessing and curse for comic book movies...

Blessing - we finally got an amazing comic book movie, rich characters, great story, everything was top notch.. adding further credence that comic book movies now should start to be taken seriously..

Curse - now every rebooted or new comic franchise is either trying to imitate it (ie: Spider-man), or it's going to have to live up to the constant comparison - for years and years.... sorry, but Spider-man doesn't need to be rebooted, thats first - secondly, it doesn't need to be dark and brooding like the Dark Knight - which is what they are setting out to try and do...... ugh...

just had to get that out of the way first...

i am more intrigued by Zack Snyder directing, more than anything else... i love his visual style, and after seeing Watchmen, and most recently Sucker Punch, i only expect great things - visually.... story wise - lets wait and see..... i was in favor of a reboot - and now, again, i feel this might add to the confusion, yet again - because instead of coming right out and saying "we are starting over" and everybody accepting that - you'll have idiot fanboys trying to figure out where this new one fits in with the franchise..... some times, and especially in Superman's case, you need to just hit the reset button...
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Michael Shannon to play General Zod in Man of Steel

Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures announced today that Michael Shannon will star in the role of General Zod in director Zack Snyder's new Superman film, titled Man of Steel.

Snyder stated, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role."

As General Zod, Shannon will go toe-to-toe with Henry Cavill, who plays the new Clark Kent/Superman in the film. The main cast also includes Amy Adams as Lois Lane, and Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Martha and Jonathan Kent.

Michael Shannon was honored with an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor for his role in Sam Mendes' Revolutionary Road, with Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet. Shannon was most recently seen in the award-winning HBO drama series "Boardwalk Empire," from executive producer Martin Scorsese.

He will next be seen in Sony Pictures Classics' Take Shelter from director/writer Jeff Nichols. Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film.

The screenplay is being written by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers. Man of Steel will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company.

(Source : SuperHeroHype.com)
    edited April 2011 Posts: 13,350
    So Man of Steel is the title. I'm surprised the The is missing.

Good casting and I'm wishing Man of Steel all the best, it'll need it...

I've no idea why Zod is being used again. Why not pick someone else for a change?
    Quoting haserot: i'm personally getting a little tired of Christopher Nolan being attached to everything
    This is the first time his name has been attached to a movie he is NOT directing
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Quoting Virage: This is the first time his name has been attached to a movie he is NOT directing
    you cherry picked my comment... so let me rephrase it for you.... - i am getting tired of hearing that just because Chris Nolan's name is attached to something, it's automatically going to be amazing -....... better?
    Fair Point.... But.... Fair point
    Zod as the villian is super lame and boring. Been there, done that. There goes the idea they would be brave and fearless with this "reboot."
    @The_Reaper..

i agree, though Zod is a better choice than using Lex Luthor - AGAIN... lol

if it were up to me, I would've liked to see Braniac or Metallo
  • I'm very relieved that they've decided to release it in the Summer of 2013 rather than December 2012.

Reasons are three:
    1) With the release date bumped to six months later, it will give the company more time to perfect this film and give us something quite special.
    2) This is a good sign that WB has a lot more confidence in the project than they initially did. Many people mistakingly consider the Holiday season as a good season for movies, but that's not really the case. During the holidays people want to spend their time with family and catching up with cousins, nephews, friends. The Summer season however is the best time to release a movie, and I think all Superman fans should take this as extremely good news even though it means a longer wait.
    3) This is the one I'm most happy about. The 2013 release date means that Christopher Nolan will be able to dedicate a lot more time to this then he would have had it still been scheduled for 2012. It was already going to be a busy year for Nolan with not only all the post production work for TDKR, but all of the press junkets that one has to do for a HUGE film like that.

So that is why I think things are even better off now then they were before. And this cast is just shaping up so nicely. I think it will be quite the event. :)
    Many people mistakingly consider the Holiday season as a good season for movies, but that's not really the case.
    Tell that to James Cameron! :D

edited July 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Many people mistakingly consider the Holiday season as a good season for movies, but that's not really the case.
    Tell that to James Cameron! :D

or Peter Jackson for that matter.......

it really depends on the film itself... but typically, on average, unless it's a family feelgood holiday romp, that time of year, between the end of November and April is usually a dead time for Hollywood... some films try to take advantage of that, but it usually doesn't work - unless your film has a sinking ship, blue aliens, or hobbits..

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited August 2011 Posts: 13,894
    *Quickly types up a screenplay about blue hobbits that sink a ship.* ;-)
  • he wants Bond, but how can he be Bond and Superman unless Superman flops? And I'm really bored of yet another reboot and yet another comic book hero. Where has all the creativity gone? Yo studios let the writers write.
    they dont have any......and comics bore me!

its been ages since we had a movie break new ground like DUNE....
    Eh...I was always a Batman kind of guy myself. Never cared to much for The Man of Steel, because he was invincible and super-human. Batman was always better to me because he did everything without powers, and he had to keep himself strong and mentally sound in order to continue the fight for crime. I never really liked the Superman movies because they were really boring. There were never any real fights, because Supes always decked the goons with one blow, so it wasn't any fun.
    Oh my go oh my god oh my god!!!

He looks good. I just hope this film is...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He's looking great. Either way, I'm sure I'll wait for a DVD/blu-ray release before I check it out.
  • a bit underwhelmed and not convinced with the hair. A bit Thoresque i think.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 1,894
    Official plot synopsis:
    In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time. Clark Kent/Kal-El (Cavill) is a young twentysomething journalist who feels alienated by powers beyond anyone's imagination. Transported to Earth years ago from Krypton, an advanced alien planet, Clark struggles with the ultimate question - Why am I here? Shaped by the values of his adoptive parents Martha (Lane) and Jonathan Kent (Costner), Clark soon discovers that having super abilities means making very difficult decisions. But when the world needs stability the most, it comes under attack. Will his abilities be used to maintain peace or ultimately used to divide and conquer? Clark must become the hero known as "Superman," not only to shine as the world's last beacon of hope but to protect the ones he loves.
    So, they're trying to make an existentialist superhero film ... with Zack Snyder, the man who makes Michael Bay look like Francis Ford Coppola.

I can smell the stink already.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Comparing Snyder to Bay is like comparing the Mona Lisa to a finger painting. Snyder has a great style and can handle source material, while Bay is a filmmaker who prides himself of useless action scenes, most notably helicopters, and expects to be taken seriously as a big star filmmaker. He can't handle the chore of making a good film and needs Sean Connery, Will Smith and Megan Fox to get some money off his attempted films. He is a sick perverted pig, as evidenced by his Transformers films and commercial directing. Imagine if Bay would have made Watchmen. He'd have had Rorschach playing with butterflies in a park. What an imbecile.
    You want another XXX film, so I'm not really inclined to accept the idea that Zack Snyder is a decent film director. Have you seen SUCKER PUNCH? It's completely incomprehensible.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    While Snyder isn't that many people's favourite director, I am certainly a fan of his work. Dawn Of The Dead is hands down one of the very best horror remakes ever, along with Carpenter's The Thing and Kaufman's Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. 300 and Watchmen were GREAT comic book based films, keeping in touch with their source material, presenting very faithful adaptations. And yes, OH yes, I'm one of the biggest fans of Sucker Punch. Don't look for a story, it's not worth the effort. Instead take this film for what it is: pure eye candy. I love how this film takes me to video game land with great visuals. And as for Baby Doll... Oh my, talking about eye candy. ;;)

I'm confident about MOS. Snyder can handle visuals and he enjoys to carefully think through the required music for the film. Then there's Nolan, who can keep an eye on pacing and story telling. I hope the two of them will have many constructive conflicts, so that one can balance the other, eliciting the best performance from both without either one going into overdrive mode.

Sure, I'm looking forward to this film. It won't be another Quest For Peace, I'm quite sure. ;;)
    I hope for the best but have my doubts. The whole Superman series rests on this film.
  • I hope for the best but have my doubts. The whole Superman series rests on this film.
    Yes Batman finishes, Spidey and Superman reboots fill the void for a decade. >:p

I wish we had original scripts and stories, it's so depressing. Don't get me wrong
    , I love the whole comic book thing. But really, can we have something else, I'm out of the target market range for the studios (not a fanboy)...suppose back to the art-houses for indy films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope for the best but have my doubts. The whole Superman series rests on this film.
    Yes Batman finishes, Spidey and Superman reboots fill the void for a decade. >:p
    New Batman reboot in 2015.