Man of Steel (2013)

Comments

• gt007gt007 Station G
    I'm not a big fan of the whole "more realistic take on Superman" idea. It's Superman, it can't be realistic. IMO Superman needs to be a little over the top.

That's why I don't like the trailers that much. They make the film look like a drama.

Superman is not Batman. He's not a dark character.

The first two Superman movies are great, I love them! The next two were a bit stupid, but still fun. Superman Returns on the other hand is dreadful.
  • oo7oo7
    edited September 2012 Posts: 1,068
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYMynm63A-k?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYMynm63A-k?version=3&hl=en_US"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    if its half as good as Fleischer we will see. anyone following the new comics?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I love the old Fleischer cartoons. So beautiful.
  • SWEET the 'better' trailer is back online for the time being!

Watch it QUICK before Warner Bros. takes it down again!! This trailer is so awesome-- why they didn't put this in the theatres I'll never know
  • SWEET the 'better' trailer is back online for the time being!

Watch it QUICK before Warner Bros. takes it down again!! This trailer is so awesome-- why they didn't put this in the theatres I'll never know
    I agree, much like with Skyfall, the IMAX trailer being BY FAR the best one. I really don't know why you wouldn't want your best promotional material available to the public.
    Downloaded it! So now I can promise we'll have it forever ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That's a promising trailer. It may have been well over 25 years but now may be the time Superman is done right and actually returns for good.
    I'm looking forward to it. I had such high hopes for the last movie but it fell flat. Mainly because they keep fooling around with Lex Luthor. Give that character a rest! Superman had many other adversaries (like Batman) and why they choose to dink around with Luthor and only him is beyond me.
    If they are having a Jonathan and Martha Kent then it sounds like a re boot to me. What say you?

Why bother with a re boot anyway? We all know the story so why keep re telling it? Jeez!
    Looks far better than the last film with Brandon Routh! Apologies if name is spelt incorrectly.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 1,644
    SR wasn't perfect but after the abysmal III & IV I found it decent.

I thought Routh was adequate as SM and it kinda bugs me we have to adjust to a new actor so soon.

Well , if you disliked Luthor in SR then be prepared to another recurring villain : Zod (or so they claim)
    The film will now be converted to 3D. Yay! :D
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The film will now be converted to 3D. Yay! :D

I pray to all that is whatever that is sarcastic.
  • You always have the option of seeing it regularly. Let them waste their money all they want

I'll be there opening night for sure-- in the 2-D line
    I quite agree! You can't beat 2D in my eyes.
    Would rather see films in 2D than 3D anyday!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Interesting... I wonder how Nolan feels about being attached to a film that will be shown in 3D?
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Ooooooooh yeshhhhhh! 2D all the way! I hated wearing 3D glasses. Francis Ford Coppola himself said 3D is a gimmick and an old technology. When he made the film TWIXT, it has a 3D section that last only a few minutes.

Wearing the glasses is a chore and you lose 20% of the picture brightness.

But I am sick of the F'ing reboots and making every character darker. Tim Burton said they have overdone the dark Batman. And the realer you try to make a comic book hero the more you miss the point. I mean like a Spiderman or Batman, Hulk. They work best as surreal alternate world characters.

Brandon Routh suited the role and I thought he was fine for Superman.

Watchmen was darker from inception and is excluded.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman's suit is still too bright. For me to take him seriously, his suit should even darker - like black. And I want to see him take on the Taliban... possibly kill a child by accident in the process. He could inject liquid Kryptonite as his self-inflicted punishment. Then he could fight Satan in Hell. Now THAT would be cool. THAT would be dark.
    *end of disgusted sarcasm
    acoppola wrote:
    Ooooooooh yeshhhhhh! 2D all the way! I hated wearing 3D glasses. Francis Ford Coppola himself said 3D is a gimmick and an old technology. When he made the film TWIXT, it has a 3D section that last only a few minutes.

But I am sick of the F'ing reboots and making every character darker. Tim Burton said they have overdone the dark Batman. And the realer you try to make a comic book hero the more you miss the point. I mean like a Spiderman or Batman, Hulk. They work best as surreal alternate world characters.

Burton isn't really a great authority on Batman, considering how much he missed the mark and completely ignored the actual mythos!!!
    Burton isn't really a great authority on Batman, considering how much he missed the mark and completely ignored the actual mythos!!!
    Yeah, but Nolan ignored a lot as well.
    chrisisall wrote:

Like what?

Nolan didn't have Batman kill with enjoyment, and Alfred didn't invite Rachel right into the damn batcave!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    acoppola wrote:

But Bob Kane approved of the Burton films and visited the sets. Bob Kane was the creator and he loved it. Burton based his Batman on the Frank Miller graphic novels as well as The Killing Joke. At least for the first. But I like the look they achieved in the sense of how Gotham looked.

In the Nolan films we get Chicago meets Bladerunner. Whilst Gotham is a hellish New York in the comics.

Nolan literalised the characters by making Batman and his films look more real world like they could exist.

Burton's had amazing style and were the first films to show the darker conflicted hero. Batman's comic book history is all over the place. Sometimes dark and sometimes campy.

Nolan adding realism to Batman isn't him ignoring the mythos. Gotham IS a city. So is the Gotham of Nolan's films. And if Burton tried to base his films off of Dark Knight Returns, boy did he fail. He literally got it all wrong.
    Nolan adding realism to Batman isn't him ignoring the mythos. Gotham IS a city. So is the Gotham of Nolan's films. And if Burton tried to base his films off of Dark Knight Returns, boy did he fail. He literally got it all wrong.

But The Joker in Batman '89 is more truer to the comic than Heath Ledger's. I mean the Bob Kane version anyway. My point is that Bob Kane liked what Burton was doing and the creator's approval should count for something.

Burton changed the image of Batman away from the 1960's camp version. And to me that was an achievement.

edited November 2012 Posts: 17,691
    chrisisall wrote:

Like what?

Nolan didn't have Batman kill with enjoyment, and Alfred didn't invite Rachel right into the damn batcave!
    Batman is a Detective. Nolan's Batman was not. Batman created his own toys. Nolan's had his own 'Q'. The Joker had fun; he was his own best audience. Nolan's was dour, sort of a Crow in colour.
    I could go on... but I won't.
    B89 did have *some* camp elements , such as the enormous , cartoony gun and Joker acting like a child at Vickis appartment.......

A little dark mood in Superman is OK as long as they don't overdo it imo.......
    acoppola wrote:

But The Joker in Batman '89 is more truer to the comic than Heath Ledger's. I mean the Bob Kane version anyway. My point is that Bob Kane liked what Burton was doing and the creator's approval should count for something.

Burton changed the image of Batman away from the 1960's camp version. And to me that was an achievement.
    That's so so. The character really wasn't that close at all. Joker was the killer of Bruce's parents (stupid idea), and Nicholson wasn't being Joker, he was being himself, which isn't really a challenge. Any shock the Joker has to offer falls flat when you realize it is Jack just being his crazy self. Joker in 89 Batman makes me feel nothing, and all the other flaws surrounding the film (not very close to the overall feel of the comics) make it all the more worse. Heath's Joke stuck with me. He mesmerized me, frightened me, and made me fall in love with Joker all at the same time. I actually felt the urge to root against Batman because the Joker was so amazing. I go to Batman 89 for an entertaining romp, but don't expect to get moved or marveled. I go to TDK to feel an array of emotion, shock, suspense, sadness and contemplation all in the span of two and a half hours, and try to deconstruct some of the greatest contemporary character studies in Batman and Joker.
    I go to TDK to feel an array of emotion, shock, suspense, sadness and contemplation all in the span of two and a half hours, and try to deconstruct some of the greatest contemporary character studies in Batman and Joker.
    Wow, you are as passionate about the Batman as I am about Dalton's Bond!
    I salute you!
    chrisisall wrote:
    I go to TDK to feel an array of emotion, shock, suspense, sadness and contemplation all in the span of two and a half hours, and try to deconstruct some of the greatest contemporary character studies in Batman and Joker.
    Wow, you are as passionate about the Batman as I am about Dalton's Bond!
    I salute you!

Ha, thanks. He'll always be my favorite comic book hero. I used to be big on Batman, but I kind of grew into Batman. Simply one of the most interesting characters created, with the best cadre of villains around. And no Batman adaption gets me emotional like Nolan's Batman films. The poetic nature in how he tells Bruce's story is startling, and will always stay with me. I get so many goosebumps in the films, specifically in the last minutes of TDK and when I shake uncontrollably at the last twenty minutes of TDKR...and then the tears of joy come. I still get tears in my eyes simply when Catwoman tells Batman "you' ve given them everything", and Batman replies "not everything. Not yet." That line sums up all that Batman is and always will be. A man dedicated to his duty that he entrusted to himself when those fatal shots in Crime Alley changed his life forever.