Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    After this it will be surprising if the powers that be dont try to get Adele back for the next one - especially if she wins the Oscar - to capitalise on her popularity stateside.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    You know, what a gem Adele is in that PC. She's so..British. The accent, how polite to each questioner, 'hi!' What a class act. Totally impressed...I had never seen or heard her speak til now, always just the songs.
    The more I see Adele the more I think how hot she is. Rachel Weisz looks lovely but Adele does it for me personally. Oh and she's got a pretty good voice as well! Go on girl, bring that Oscar home!
  • This is obviously great news! Personally Skyfall was one of better Bond songs in my opinion, and I thought that from the minute I heard it in the cinema. I also loved Adele's speech, she was very... well, not how you expect someone to be during such a speech! Seems like a great person.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I despise Taylor Swift. I don't care for her music, I hate her attitude, I hate the way she talks about finding 'true romance,' yet she's with a different guy every other week, and most of all, I hate how much of a sore loser she is. Way to go, Adele.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Even more proof there that means Barbara and Michael won't let her anywhere near a Bond theme. :D

I love it, bringing the UK to an American event. Nothing better in my eyes, but hay, I'm British!
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Even more proof there that means Barbara and Michael won't let her anywhere near a Bond theme. :D

I love it, bringing the UK to an American event. Nothing better in my eyes, but hay, I'm British!

I don't mind. I think I was misplaced in the before-life. Should have been British. But I'm a proud American.. most of the time.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I don't mind. I think I was misplaced in the before-life. Should have been British. But I'm a proud American.. most of the time.

I know exactly how you feel.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I'm a lifelong Anglophile. Parents born here, but 3 grandparents were from England and Ireland; my dad's side traced back to the Revolutionary war and before that ... England. I'm a Beatles and Stones baby, and oh how I still wish I could live there. Maybe some day. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I despise Taylor Swift. I don't care for her music, I hate her attitude, I hate the way she talks about finding 'true romance,' yet she's with a different guy every other week, and most of all, I hate how much of a sore loser she is. Way to go, Adele.

^This. I used to think Taylor was one of the great examples of young stars who aren't stuck up or a problem child, but after she tries to spin the romanticism of being in love when she literally gets together or breaks up with someone once a week, her hypocrisy shows clearly. And then she writes a song about the breakup that nets her even more cash she doesn't even know what to do with. I am now considering adding to my bucket list: Have Taylor Swift write a song about me.

I actually do have a theory: What if she has severe writers' block and the only way her brain can become cleared is if she is dependent on another person. So to quell it she gets into a relationship, uses the experience to write a song, dumps the guy and then moves on to the next, cramming the charts with her "music".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I loved Taylor Swift's reaction when Adele said "I wasn't expecting this." Taylor obviously wasn't either. That said, justice was done. Taylor's song wasn't very good and Adele's was bloody fantastic.

Poor loser, exceptionally good winner. Very happy for Adele.
    I dont even know who Taylor Swift is. Probably not missing much then!
    I loved Taylor Swift's reaction when Adele said "I wasn't expecting this." Taylor obviously wasn't either. That said, justice was done. Taylor's song wasn't very good and Adele's was bloody fantastic.

I have a hard time believing that Taylor Swift believed that she ever had any sort of chance against any of those nominations.

Cheer up, Taylor. Better luck...well...whenever.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SJK91 wrote:

I have a hard time believing that Taylor Swift believed that she ever had any sort of chance against any of those nominations.

Cheer up, Taylor. Better luck...well...whenever.

Don't worry. She gets some big country nominations/wins in the AMCs, Grammys and stuff like that annually. Golden Globes are rare for singers though, a step into the film world for them.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,782
    http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/taylor-swift-loses-to-adele-at-golden-globes-watch-her-reaction-2013141

Taylor Swift was nominated for a Best Song Golden Globe for that song from The Hunger Games, which is the first song that isn't about a dude breaking her Strawberry Shortcake heart (or is it?). Adele was also nominated for "Skyfall" and anybody who was up against Adele either didn't show up or spent the night getting level 5 (aka Glenn Close) drunk, because there was no way in hell they were going to win.

To the surprise of nobody, Adele won, got on stage and gave a cute speech about how she thought she was on a little night out with her girlfriend and really wasn't expecting to shuffle away with a trophy. The camera cut to Taylor Swift making a perfect "Shut up, bitch, you lie" face. The smirk really sealed it for me.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    I simply can't understand how a bond fan can hate this song. Adele is not my cup of martini at all but her theme is absolutely perfect and mixed with the excellent opening titles it makes for a mezmerizing intro to a bond film - one of my favourites. When I heard Skyfall I had goosebumps - with the often noted channeling of Shirley Bassey and that brief interweaving of Monty Norman's original score - it made me not only even more excited for Bond 23 - but confident it was going to be great.
    I simply can't understand how a bond fan can hate this song. Adele is not my cup of martini at all but her theme is absolutely perfect and mixed with the excellent opening titles it makes for a mezmerizing intro to a bond film - one of my favourites. When I heard Skyfall I had goosebumps - with the often noted channeling of Shirley Bassey and that brief interweaving of Monty Norman's original score - it made me not only even more excited for Bond 23 - but confident it was going to be great.

I can't say more. You nailed it here :-).
    An in depth interview with sound re-recording mixer Greg Russell about Skyfall:

Tommy Lee Jones just won Best Supporting Actor for Lincoln. Sorry, Javier.

Does anyone know if Dan is there tonight? I have yet to see him.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Skyfall did win 'Outstanding Action Performances by Film'. :D

Here's a list of our winners:

Hussain Adbullah
    Arsha Aghdasi
    Mahsa Ahmadi
    Gillian Aldam
    Lucy Allen
    Scott Armstrong
    Gary Arthurs
    Amir Badri
    Lee Bagley
    Cody Banta
    Carly Barnes
    Lloyd Bass
    Nikki Berwick
    Mustafa Beyter
    Dani Biernat
    Nellie Burroughes
    Michael Byrch
    Annabel Canaven
    Justo Usin Carrera
    Boris Martinez Casel
    Tracy Caudle
    Cha-Lee
    Nick Chopping
    Ben Collins
    Ben Cooke
    Rob Cooper
    James Cox
    Talila Craig
    David Cronnelly
    Eugenio Jiminez Cubillo
    Clive Curtis
    Zarene Dallas
    Inci Demirbas
    Ümit Demirbas
    Rick English
    Bradley Farmer
    Elaine Ford
    David Forman
    Vladimir Furdik
    Halil Ibrahim Gezer
    Saied Gholamie
    Andy Godbold
    Oliver Gough
    Jean-Pierre Goy
    Evangelos Grecos
    Richard Hansen
    Bobby Holland Hanton
    Dee Harrop
    Elliot Hawkes
    Rob Herring
    Mark Higgins
    Jason Hunjan
    Rob Hunt
    Dusan Hyska
    Rowley Irlam
    Martin Ivanov
    Cressida Jade
    Tolga Kenan
    Paul Kennington
    Géza Kovács
    Görkem Kün
    Maurice Lee
    Andy Lister
    Jan Loukota
    Kevin Lyons
    Robbie Maddison
    Marc Mailley
    Kai Martin
    Tina Maskell
    Belinda McGinley
    Morteza Megdizadeh
    Angela Meryl
    Casey Michaels
    Peter Miles
    Gareth Milne
    Sian Milne
    Mark Mottram
    Alim Muzaffer
    Brian Nickels
    James O’Dee
    Justin Pearson
    Ian Peed
    Heather Philips
    Gary Powell
    Greg Powell
    Tilly Powell
    Dominic Preece
    Charles Ramsay
    David Rea
    Gino Rea
    Kai Fung Rieck
    Tom Rodgers
    Yunus Emre Sagukkanli
    Diz Sharpe
    Mark Slaughter
    Curtis Small
    Andy Smart
    Mark Southworth
    Marvin Stewart-Campbell
    Roy Street
    Gabor Szeman
    Mens-Sana Tamakloe
    Rocky Taylor
    Arran Topham
    Vi-Dan Tran
    Sam Trimming
    Emre Ugantas
    Fatih Ugurlu
    Cuco Usin
    Tony Van Silva
    Ami Verge
    Rudolf Vrba
    Damien Walters
    Vincent Wang
    David Ware
    Calvin Warrington-Heasman
    Marlow Warrington-Mattei
    Reg Wayment
    Paul Weston
    Alistair Whitton
    Martin Wilde
    Belle Williams
    Donna C. Williams
    Sarah Lochlan Williams
    Annabel Wood
    Ben Wright
    Liang Yang
    Roger Yuan
    ^^I bet manufacturing those awards was a hefty price tag ;)

**I am fully aware they likely won't even get a piece of paper, thank you**
    Where is Dan on that list? He was just a part of it as any of those men and women. And he did some seriously dangerous stuff while shooting the film.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Where is Dan on that list? He was just a part of it as any of those men and women. And he did some seriously dangerous stuff while shooting the film.

That's exactly what I was thinking. He made poor Sam seriously scared and worried for him, and made Sam comment on his "courage slash madness to do it". He made Judi go "Surely you didn't do that... what, you did?" He made Javier say "I was watching Daniel doing those things, and I was like, “Oh my God,” because he’s so well-prepared, and he’s so committed to go far with it." And Javier said he'd never do some of that stuff himself. Daniel made people pray for his safety, stare in awe, and praise him afterwards, but... I assume the official recognition is just for the official stunt team, people jumping away from front of speeding cars and whatnot, and since Daniel is the lead actor, he isn't under any circumstances considered part of the stunt team, never mind how much stunt work he did. Just the way it goes.

In fact... :D ... he'd deserve some special award for just being him and for helping Skyfall be what it is, and the huge success it is as well. (I know he gets paid well, but that's not what I mean.) Since, after all, if he wasn't in it (and as active as he is) Sam Mendes wouldn't be in it... and then Javier Bardem, Roger Deakins, John Logan, Thomas Newman (I know what some of you would say here, but I love his score), wouldn't be in it, either. I don't know about someone like Ralph Fiennes etc. but probably not, either - Sam cast him after all, plus everyone seems to want to work with Sam - and indeed with Daniel. Due to my great respect and admiration for Mr. Bardem, I was particularly moved by all the obviously heartfelt* praise Javier - both in English and in Spanish language interviews - gave Daniel as an actor, as a crazy stuntman, and most importantly as a person. (*It really is obvious he means what he says, especially when you see and hear him talk in his native language in some Spanish tv interview - the admiration and warmth is practically tangible.)
    It would be a whole different movie, obviously, without all those people.
    Excellent post, @Tuulia. Spot on form in every point you made.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Thanks, 0Brady. :)

I wanted to add this (but once I remembered it, it then took me a while to find the right article):

'He wants to be the engine room, he wants to be the motivating factor, he wants to be the person trying the hardest,' Mendes says. 'And I think it cost him a lot. He never complains about it, but you can see the toll it's taking on him.'
    Javier Bardem – whom Craig also cornered at a party with an offer of the role of Silva – remembers often arriving on set at 7am, 'and Daniel would be coming out of the gym. He really commits himself to every demand that a character like this asks for,' Bardem says. 'It would be very easy to say, "Bye-bye, I need to rest, I'm going home, let someone else do it."'
    Mendes talks of how when Craig wasn't filming he would be rehearsing a stunt, or a fight, or on the motorbike. 'I've never had to do a movie,' he says, 'where so much is resting on the shoulders of just one person.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/jamesbond/9628428/Skyfall-Daniel-Craig-takes-James-Bond-to-another-level.html
    Hats off to Dan for being the most dedicated Bond imaginable. That speaks volumes of his character and care for his craft.
    Indeed it does.
    Great posts, guys and very, very true. Thanks.