Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:
    GG I do hope you are wrong because I am of the mind that the oscar should be given for current work and not count the previous work. Claudio Miranda should win this one simply because his work this year seems to be better. But that is just me in a fair world. O:-)

I agree with this, naturally.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    SaintMark wrote:
    GG I do hope you are wrong because I am of the mind that the oscar should be given for current work and not count the previous work. Claudio Miranda should win this one simply because his work this year seems to be better. But that is just me in a fair world. O:-)

As you can see from my list above, that is a bit questionable. I do not believe Claudio is the overwhelming favourite yet as Huffington Post likes to predict. Both Roger Deakins for 'Skyfall' and Claudio Miranda for 'Life Of Pi' won quite a bunch of 'Best Cinematography' awards so far.

If you ask my personal opinion, and if you look to the pure art of filming, then I think Roger Deakins deserves the Oscar. He used very new digital filming equipment, but the effect is wunderful and it had a classic, crisp and elegant feel to it. IMO groundbreaking in 2D filming....and it could set a standard even for smaller movies (Yes, I know Quentin Tarantino hates it, but I do not care). All the wide shots from beautiful views of Turkish nature, the Scottish highlands, the skyline of Sjanghai and dreary London itself.....are simply marvellous. Not only that, close-ups were captivating too.

Claudio Miranda had a big visual and special effects department backing him up. I think it were the 3D effects and visual (CGI) effects that truly enhanced the plot/storyline of the movie, not necessarily Miranda's camerawork. Moreover, I found his work for 'The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button' better. So, the Oscar for 'Best Visual Effects' to 'Life Of Pi'? Yes. To 'Best Cinematography? No.

Indeed, 'Skyfall' should win the 'Best Cinematography' Oscar. Period. But predicting this category.....aaaaarghhh :O :O :O
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    I haven't seen Life Of Pi, so I can't really comment on it. The clips I've seen didn't seem that amazing to me, but maybe it is gorgeous. I'm thoroughly biased in Skyfall's favour, then. :P

Anyway, I agree with Gustav that Deakins deserves the Oscar (and all other awards) for his work in Skyfall. Whether Miranda would also deserve an Oscar I can't really comment on. I do however know that personally I've never wanted anyone, for any movie, to get the cinematography awards as much as Deakins for Skyfall. I was in awe of his work in it the first time I saw it, and even more on subsequent viewings.

I'm generally suspicious of the Academy, but I'll hope, anyway, of course, and will cross everything on the night. :)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Life of Pi - unfortunately - was amazing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:

How is that unfortunate?!
    Germanlady wrote:

Oh come on, you KNOW, what I mean. Its easy really. I wish for Deakins to win, but I think, Pi was just that amazing, that it will win.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Oh come on, you KNOW, what I mean. Its easy really. I wish for Deakins to win, but I think, Pi was just that amazing, that it will win.

I know, I just wanted to hear you say it, or watch you type it to be more exact. I think the most important thing at the end of the day is that a person who is deserving of the award gets it, no matter if they are Bond attached or not. Though, I think Deakins may have it, or is close.
  • I think the most important thing at the end of the day is that a person who is deserving of the award gets it, no matter if they are Bond attached or not.

Exactly. I've been saying this for ages, it's the reason I don't want Newman to win.
    I think the most important thing at the end of the day is that a person who is deserving of the award gets it, no matter if they are Bond attached or not.

Exactly. I've been saying this for ages, it's the reason I don't want Newman to win.

Who would you like to see win in that category? Or just anyone as long as it's not him?

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Tuulia wrote:
    I think the most important thing at the end of the day is that a person who is deserving of the award gets it, no matter if they are Bond attached or not.

Who would you like to see win in that category? Or just anyone as long as it's not him?

Well I thought Looper had the best score of the year but out of the nominees I'm not sure as I haven't seen any of them apart from Skyfall.

John Williams is generally fantastic though so I suppose him? Although it's not really fair for me to say which other nominee should win.

I just don't think Newman deserved to be nominated and I don't think he deserves to win an award for his score.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Ok, fair enough. I rarely even buy soundtracks, they're just not my thing, but I love Newman's score for Skyfall, and have been listening to it a lot since I got it in late November or early December - I've surprised myself with this because it's not what I'd expect myself to want to listen to that much. Really, really love it, so would be happy to see him win. I'm not familiar with the competition, so can't compare, but I'd be surprised if there was another extra special score (for ME, I mean) this year. :)
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

Yes, I agree with you that 'Life Of Pi' was amazing. I loved the movie. But I just find the Cinematography Oscar a bit too much honour. 'Life Of Pi' worked tremendously well because of the combination of a very good, original plot idea (allthough it's adapted from a novel) combined with enthralling visual 3D effects. Actually, IMO it is the best 3D movie in years. It's good to see that visual effects sometimes can truly enhance a good dramatic story with several (religious) themes in it. Ang Lee is basically following James Cameron: Not using 3D solely for creating blockbuster stuff, but for helping enhance wunderful stories and themes.

Having said that, I think cinematography is important for the overall effect of 'Life Of Pi', but it's not groundbreaking. Claudio Miranda obviously did a lot of blue/greenscreen camerawork. That's not captivating, that's plain necessary for the visual effects later on.

That's why I think Roger Deakins deserves the Oscar for 'Best Cinematography'. It's more groundbreaking. Deakins' cinematography enhances the plot and story of 'Skyfall'. It is not Miranda's cinematography that enhances the plot and story of 'Life Of Pi'.
    As much as I would love for Deakins to win - but for me, the cinem. of Pi WAS the film. Without it, it would have been a rather bland effort IMO.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    As much as I would love for Deakins to win - but for me, the cinem. of Pi WAS the film. Without it, it would have been a rather bland effort IMO.

Ok, so it was basically like Avatar where the effects and cinematography were the only thing really going for it?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:

Ok, so it was basically like Avatar where the effects and cinematography were the only thing really going for it?

I didn't get to see Life of Pi but I know the story. The book was considered unfilmable, because the story is in itself a fantasy. I'm not sure how much of it was real and how much was CGI/visual effects. Perhaps people who saw it can give their opinion (@Germanlady?).
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sandy wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I didn't get to see Life of Pi but I know the story. The book was considered unfilmable, because the story is in itself a fantasy. I'm not sure how much of it was real and how much was CGI/visual effects. Perhaps people who saw it can give their opinion (@Germanlady?).
    I know nothing about it aside from the standard information, so I can't help here.
    Germanlady wrote:

I found Avatar with its innovative use of new technology in 3D well deserving of its prizes, and a large audience was found for Avatar that found the movie well worth their time.

Kudos for James Cameron who has shown a talent for making cutting edge technological made movies that seem to be enjoyed by men and women alike. Of which his BO is the prove with his two recent cinema movies. ;)

Life of Pi was really beautifully shot, SF was shot beautifull as well but just not as good imho. I think with the Oscar for Adele SF should be very happy, as well as the celebration of 50 years of 007 movies.

Lets hope they do something nice for Star Trek too in 3 years time.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Avatar had brilliant effects and it looked stunning but when I found out Cameron was doing another sci fi film I thought it'd be a return to his Aliens/Terminator days, so I was left disappointed by it.

The action wasn't amazing and the story was your fairly generic Dancing With Wolves esque plot. And like The Last Samurai, it failed to improve on Dancing With Wolves in any way. But, The Last Samurai had ninjas and samurai and some cool sword fights, and is therefore better than Avatar :)
    Avatar had brilliant effects and it looked stunning but when I found out Cameron was doing another sci fi film I thought it'd be a return to his Aliens/Terminator days, so I was left disappointed by it.

The action wasn't amazing and the story was your fairly generic Dancing With Wolves esque plot. And like The Last Samurai, it failed to improve on Dancing With Wolves in any way. But, The Last Samurai had ninjas and samurai and some cool sword fights, and is therefore better than Avatar :)

Cameron has done the Alien and Terminator movie and they were awesome, so why return to that if you honestly do not know how to improve on them (his own words). What he delivered was a beautifull shot movie that made 3D relevant. It is one of the few movies I have seen that is worth seeing preferable in 3D.

Dancing with wolves puts me to sleep every time, the last Samurai is Shogun for a new generation only not as good. ;)

Your second paragraph mirrors my thoughts exactly.
    I went to see it in theaters at the time when it was released and it was worth it for the visual effects alone. One day it was on TV and I tried to watch it again and I was so bored by it that I changed channel after 15 min or so. Without the immersion provided by the 3d it falls flatter than an ironing board.
    Yes, I LOVED Avatar for its visuals and overall first half of the film, that was just plein beautiful. Hope that's allowed :P

Skyfall

Roger Deakins

The Scene: James Bond (Daniel Craig) engages his target, a professional hit man (Ola Rapace), in a fight to the death in an under-construction skyscraper illuminated by a massive LED screen at night in Shanghai.

Behind the Scene: “It’s one we shot early on, and I felt I was taking a chance by suggesting or pushing for that kind of look, the big LED screens and light and the whole set just with those source lights that you see in the shot. Also the fact that we did it on stage as opposed to a location, which was the original intention. And I was quite pleased the way it turned out. When it’s one of the earlier scenes in a shoot, you feel a sense of relief that you’ve achieved something close to what you had in your mind’s eye when you started. We spent a lot of time prepping. Obviously it was a big stage set, and there was a lot of very particular lighting that was built into the set. We spent actually weeks and weeks testing a few different big LED screens for the playbacks. And then we had to order a particular one we liked, which was a combination of being a fine pixel count and also being practical to do in the size we wanted, because it was about 60 by about 40 or 50 feet, I think. And we had to find one we could rent for the period we needed it and, in fact, it was available for only a small window of time, so we had to shoot the scene and then it had to be broken down and sent back before we had really cut the scene. It was a bit of a risk in it, really. But it was good being on stage at Pinewood because we were shooting there quite a bit, and I could go in at the end of the shoot day and look at the lighting and just gradually build it.”.
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/oscars-cinematographers-on-creating-the-right-imagery/#more-425879
  • Shirley bassey is going to perform at the Oscars!!! :D
    Baftas tonite - tere will probably be a life stream here http://www.bafta.org/

DC himself most likely not there, but the film still hold those 8 nods.
    Watching BBC, Marc Kermode is commenting the nominees. Just said Javier Bardem should win best supporting actor.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Baftas tonite - tere will probably be a life stream here http://www.bafta.org/

DC himself most likely not there, but the film still hold those 8 nods.

It will be shown on BBC1 tonight.

Sadly I only have BBC world news here in Germany, and that until 19:00 local time (:|
    BBC News Baftas special programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21401540
    Kermode now speaking greatly about Skyfall.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,012
    MGW interviewed by Lizo this very moment.

EDIT: sorry about the double post.
    LOL at Dame Judi Dench's remark she might sneaking up behind Ralph Fiennes back in the future.
    Classy as always replying to the question about the fact the Skyfall is not nominated as best film. "There are so many good films out, it's tough"