Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

Tuulia wrote:
    ^^ Yup, same here.

Gustav, that's right, being nominated is an honour and an achievement in itself. Of course, winning would be even nicer, but still.

Yes, if I read certain posts here, it sometimes seems that James gets nominated a hundred times for an Oscar and actually never wins one.

Well, that's not the case. 'Skyfall's recent award nominations and wins are truly unique for a James Bond film. It's a true sign that James Bond is not just a franchise of cheesy gadegt films, but especially now a franchise that makes damn good espionage thrillers.

For that, 'Skyfall' gets all these award rewards.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Oscars Promo: The Oscars Celebrate James Bond

• Oscars Promo: The Oscars Celebrate James Bond

I thought......it's better stirred? Isn't that what all the bartenders say?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It's the way Henderson has it made.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think the original martini - made with gin - needed to be stirred so as "not to bruise the gin" (well that's what I've read anyway). Vodka isn't gin and can be shaken to heart's content apparently without damaging the intended flavor.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Oscars Promo: The Oscars Celebrate James Bond

Good god that was awful.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited February 2013 Posts: 4,012
    I think the original martini - made with gin - needed to be stirred so as "not to bruise the gin" (well that's what I've read anyway). Vodka isn't gin and can be shaken to heart's content apparently without damaging the intended flavor.

I read somewhere that at the time Fleming wrote the books a lot of vodka was made from potatoes, which makes it "oily". Shaking the drink would remove this oiliness from the drink. Also, Bond likes his Martinis ice cold, so it needs to be shaken, not stirred.

EDIT: Ladies and Gentlemen, I am first and foremost a scientist so I took the manner in the scientific way: I reviewed the literature. A PubMed search gave me 69 hits of papers including the words "shaken, not stirred" in them (now it's a matte of principle that I will include these words whenever I can in a future manuscript). The most interesting one, and the only of interest to this community, is a paper published on the British Medical Journal (IF=14.093) by Trevithick et al. where it was concluded that shaken is "healthier" than stirred. In case someone wants the full-text just PM me.
    On a more popular science side, New Scientist journal has a series of articles on the "shaken, not stirred" question http://www.newscientist.com/search?doSearch=true&query=vodka+martini.
    It's not related but I thought I should include here this fascinating paper: Thrills, spills and pills: Bond, Benzedrine and the pharmacology of peace.. Same thing, if you want to read full-text just PM me.

I think we can get back to topic after this :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Well as Bonds martini contains 3 parts Gordons then the gin is going to get brusied anyway so he is something of a heathen in wanting it shaken.
    Sandy wrote:
    I read somewhere that at the time Fleming wrote the books a lot of vodka was made from potatoes, which makes it "oily". Shaking the drink would remove this oiliness from the drink. Also, Bond likes his Martinis ice cold, so it needs to be shaken, not stirred.

In the novel MR Bond sprinkles pepper in his vodka at Blades and explains to M: (I am quoting from memory here so obviously not exactly right) 'In Russia theres a lot of bootleg vodka high in fusel oil content and its a local custom to sprinkle a little pepper on the surface which takes the oil to the bottom. I learned about it when you stationed me with the cultural attache in Moscow that time - I suppose I got the taste for it. But I shouldnt have insulted Basildons vodka.'

Bond also explains that grain is better than potato (although I'm not sure that potato vodka is guilty of being oily - I think this really only relates to dodgy moonshine being passed off as vodka) in possibly the same conversation in MR or it might be in CR I cant recall offhand.
    Having lived in Russia for 3 years I cant remember any vodka I ever bought in a shop or bar looking noticeably oily. The under the counter stuff did so I think maybe this is what Fleming is referring to. But then I suppose standards have improved even in Russia so that what I would buy in a supermarket these days would be rated as decent stuff in Flemings day and the stuff locals bought back then was indeed substandard and oily.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    And back on topic....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/art-directors-guild-awards-2013-winners-list/

Another award and word that Gassner is at work on Bond 24...
    Good news, thanks for the heads up Sam.
    Samuel001 wrote:

I read it that he was simply hired for Bond 24, nothing really mentions he's 'working' on Bond 24, but that he will be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Congratulations to Gassner, Ken Adam, Peter Lamont, and Allan Cameron for some of the greatest sets in cinematic history! It's lovely that they all got to share that honor for their work in a series 50 years on and going strong. <:-P
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

I read it that he was simply hired for Bond 24, nothing really mentions he's 'working' on Bond 24, but that he will be.

I should have been clearer, sorry. Though to know you're working on a film that is more than a couple of years away may be a little odd. I'm sure a lot's going on at the moment, how I'd love to read the script.
    Skyfall wins best film at London Evening Standard Film Awards, plus best director and best newcomer/rising star for Ben Wishaw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21325483
    AgentJM7 wrote:
    Skyfall wins best film at London Evening Standard Film Awards, plus best director and best newcomer/rising star for Ben Wishaw.

Hey, thanks!

Updated the list.
    AgentJM7 wrote:

Lovely, thanks for the update.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Best newcomer/rising star for Ben Whishaw NOW seems a bit weird to me. It's been quite a long time since he appeared in The Trench in 1999. He's a "newcomer"? ;)

Tuulia wrote:
    Best newcomer/rising star for Ben Whishaw NOW seems a bit weird to me. It's been quite a long time since he appeared in The Trench in 1999. He's a "newcomer"? ;)

My toughts exactly. But i suppope, unless you are known to a wider audience, you ARE a newcomer ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Germanlady wrote:
    Tuulia wrote:

My toughts exactly. But i suppope, unless you are known to a wider audience, you ARE a newcomer ;)

This was my mindset when I heard he was described as a "newcomer."
    Jolly good news. The film that keeps on earning. Next, the BAFTAs.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Skyfall is nominated for the film award at South Bank Sky Arts Awards.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a456688/skyfall-alan-partridge-among-south-bank-sky-arts-awards-nominees.html

more info:

The awards are one of the world’s most coveted arts awards, celebrating the best of British culture and achievement across visual art, theatre, opera, dance, comedy, classical music, pop, TV drama, literature and film. Melvyn Bragg will once again act as editor and master of ceremonies.

---
    In what was an incredibly strong year across all of the categories, the nominees for the film award demonstrates the wealth and variety of UK creative talent at the moment. Sam Mendes’ Skyfall, the most successful Bond film ever, will go up against Peter Strickland's Berberian Sound Studio, a psychological thriller about a home counties sound engineer hired by a 70s Italian horror studio and Bart Layton’s documentary The Imposter, the extraordinary true story of Frenchman Frédéric Bourdin who fooled the world by posing as Nicholas Barclay, a teenage Texan boy who disappeared from his home in the early 90s.

---
    2012 was a remarkably fine year for British achievement not least in British art, by British artists,” comments Melvyn Bragg. “Arriving at this shortlist was a tough job for our judges. We are proud of this world class list of nominees which recognise and honour the best talent at work in the UK today.”

“What a tremendous shortlist for this, the third year of The South Bank Sky Arts Awards, which continue to grow from strength to strength,” comments James Hunt, channel director of Sky Arts.

“We are incredibly proud of this opportunity to live the motto of our channel which is to celebrate the best of the arts.”

The judges of this year’s South Bank Sky Arts Awards are Gilly Greenwood, Chair, Peter Aspden, Arts Correspondent of Financial Times; Baz Bamigboye, Entertainment Columnist & Arts Reviewer of Daily Mail; Richard Brooks, Arts Editor of The Sunday Times; Sarah Donaldson, Arts Editor of The Observer; Manisha Ferdinand, Head of PR Sky Arts & Sky Movies; Boyd Hilton, TV & Reviews Editor of Heat Magazine; Alex O'Connell, Arts & Entertainment Editor of The Times; and Archie Powell, Documentary Filmmaker.

http://skyarts.sky.com/south-bank-sky-arts-awards/2013-nominees-image-gallery
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Does Skyfall count as British though? The character is British and so were lots of the actors and the director, but the movies are big budget Hollywood blockbusters financed by an American studio. It's the same problem with the BAFTA nomination for best British film.

Glad to see Coogans new show on there. Not as good as I'm Alan Partridge but it was still funny overall and better than most of the stuff on TV.
    Great to see Skyfall and the film team getting some proper recognition for once! Unlike the Oscar's with there cheap get out of a tricky spot con by having just a tribute to the franchise!
  • Congratulations to Gassner, Ken Adam, Peter Lamont, and Allan Cameron for some of the greatest sets in cinematic history! It's lovely that they all got to share that honor for their work in a series 50 years on and going strong. <:-P

Pity the late Peter Murton and Syd Cain couldn't be there to be among them :(
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Ladies and gentlemen! Time to announce the Oscar Prediction Dashboard for 'Skyfall'. As you know, the 23rd James Bond film is nominated for an impressive amount of five Oscars. As of today until the day before the actual broadcast of the 85th Academy Awards on February 24th, I will keep updating this list.

The Oscar that 'Skyfall' has the best chance to win will be mentioned first, then downwards towards the Oscar 'Skyfall' has the worst chance of actually winning it. Source for this Oscar Prediction Dashboard is Huffington Post (http://data.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/oscar-predictions).

I need to remind everyone that predicting these (more technical) Oscar categories will be much harder. And 'Skyfall' has an advantage during the Oscars, as James Bond itself will be a centerpiece theme during the Oscar seremony.

Oscar Prediction Dashboard for 'Skyfall' *UPDATE: 02.07.2013*:
    8452764815_4d0aecf98f.jpg
    8452764761_f41dde760c.jpg
    8453856096_a6521943f5.jpg
    8453856198_20c862600e.jpg
    8453856140_07390be2bc.jpg

My view so far:
    I think it is an almost given certainty that 'Skyfall' will be the 3rd Bond film to actually win an Oscar (after 'Goldfinger', Best Sound, Norman Wanstall, and 'Thunderball', Best Visual Effects, John Stears). The winning category will off course be 'Best Original Song', a milestone in the James Bond franchise and the only James Bond themed Bond song thus far winning an Oscar.

Still, I do think 'Skyfall' has a fair chance of actually winning two Oscars, both 'Best Original Song' and one of the 'Best Sound Oscars. 'Best Cinematography' seems to be a long haul. Roger Deakins used to be a contender in this category, but it seems 'Life Of Pi' has taken over this status.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    So maybe just the one then but tying with the previous films isn't too bad.
  • I still think two Oscars are possible ;-). Also giving the fact that there's extra Bond Buzz this year.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Do NOT forget. Upcoming Sunday a pivotal Awards Ceremony for 'Skyfall', the 27th ASC Awards (The American Society Of Cinematographers).
    http://www.theasc.com/asc_news/News_Articles/News_446.php

The outcome of these awards seem pivotal for Roger Deakins, as these awards are a strong indicator for the 'Best Cinematograpy Oscar'. I do have a feeling that this time around it could be a first ASC Award win for Claudio Miranda's cinematography for 'Life Of Pi', but that the eventual Oscar will go to Roger Deakins and his cinematography for 'Skyfall'.

Because do not forget that Roger Deakins was nominated so many times for an Oscar (a bloody 10 times!) and he never won it. It might result in some sympathy votes for Deakins, whereas for Claudio Miranda they might think 'He's starting.....he will have plenty of opportunity to prove himself again'. But then again, I might be completely wrong :-P.

In the meantime, both Claudio Miranda for 'Life Of Pi' and Roger Deakins for 'Skyfall have won the most cinematography awards so far:

Claudio Miranda won for the cinematography of 'Life Of Pi':
    --> Broadcast Film Critics Association - Critics Choice Award
    --> Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association - DFWFCA Award *1ST PLACE*
    --> Las Vegas Film Critics Society - Sierra Award
    --> Phoenix Film Critics Society - PFCS Award (By the way, Thomas Newman won the PFCS Award for 'Best Original Score' for 'Skyfall'!)
    --> San Diego Film Critics Society - SDFCS Award
    --> San Francisco Film Critics Circle - SFFCC Award
    --> Satellite Awards - Satellite Award
    --> Southeastern Film Critics Association - SEFCA Award *1ST PLACE*
    --> Washington DC Area Film Critics Association - WAFCA Award

Roger Deakins won for the cinematography of 'Skyfall':
    --> Central Ohio Film Critics Association - COFCA Award
    --> Dallas-Fort Worth Film Critics Association - DFWFCA Award *2ND PLACE*
    --> Florida Film Critics Circle - FFCC Award
    --> Los Angeles Film Critics Association - LAFCA Award
    --> National Society of Film Critics - NSFC Award *2ND PLACE*
    --> Online Film Critics Society - OFCS Award
    --> Southeastern Film Critics Association - SEFCA Award *2ND PLACE*

As you can see, Claudio won slightly more cinematography awards than Roger. Moreover, the momentum is trending towards Claudio, as Roger won the awards mostly in 2012 and Claudio more recently won his cinematography awards.

But then again, I think it'll be a close race. Roger has the LA Film Critics Association backing him. Most of the members in this Association also vote in the Oscars for Best Cinematography. But then again, Claudio won the more important Critics Choice Award and the Satellite Award.

Bottomline: It'll be damn exciting :O :O :O
    GG I do hope you are wrong because I am of the mind that the oscar should be given for current work and not count the previous work. Claudio Miranda should win this one simply because his work this year seems to be better. But that is just me in a fair world. O:-)