Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• RC7RC7
    edited January 2013 Posts: 10,512
    Anyone else want to blow some smoke up his arse?

I like Dan as much as the next man but if I was getting paid $$$$ to star as James Bond and hit the gym, I'd be there 20 hours a day. He gets to 'be' James Bond, it's hardly taxing, he's not saving lives. There are people out there who work 24 hour shifts to help people live a day longer, scientists who work tirelessly, just to cure 10 people a year. Perspective people.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Calm down @RC7, no need to overeact don't you think?
  • RC7RC7
    Sandy wrote:
    Calm down @RC7, no need to overeact don't you think?

Hardly overreacting. To read some of the previous posts you'd think Dan was the new Mother Teresa.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    What were the other nominees in that category (the action performance one)? Anyway, it's great we won something.
    RC7 wrote:
    Anyone else want to blow some smoke up his arse?

I like Dan as much as the next man but if I was getting paid $$$$ to star as James Bond and hit the gym, I'd be there 20 hours a day. He gets to 'be' James Bond, it's hardly taxing, he's not saving lives. There are people out there who work 24 hour shifts to help people live a day longer, scientists who work tirelessly, just to cure 10 people a year. Perspective people.

Have to say I agree with @RC7 here. I think Craig makes a great James Bond but some posts on here worship him like he's the messiah or something.
    ^^ Rrrright... I guess RC7 is mostly attacking me. Judging by your tone I guess you may be unfamiliar with the emoticon I used, which was :D That's pretty sad to begin with. You're missing the point entirely. You think that anyone not saving lives 24/7 is undeserving of praise for what they do, no matter how well? And of course you'd do a better job than Dan does - 20 hours a day, you say? Wow... It's also not about the money. There are people who get the money, but don't think they have to work for it all that hard necessarily (there are people like that everywhere, regardless of what the amount of money actually is) - and besides, apparently his attitude is the same when there isn't much $$$$ to speak of. It is NOT about the money. I have no idea what the Mother Teresa bit is referring to, so no comment on that. My guess is you don't live on the street or on a war zone, and aren't about to starve to death? So you wouldn't complain about anything, now would you, since that would show lack of perspective.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    We were only repeating stuff, that people dared to say, who knew him well. So getting a hiss about it, IS overacting. Compared to many others, who get paid as much, he certainly gives more then he woud need to and this is what we were talking about or rather those, who worked with him. Those are facts and nothing to get annoyed about. OR lets talk about the praise Dalton gets from some for whatever it was, he did.

BTW RC7, its reassuring, the two of us are back to normal, which means, disagreeing with each other. Feels somehow more normal. :))
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    OR lets talk about the praise Dalton gets from some for whatever, it was, he did.

Well since Dalton has nothing to do with this and you wouldn't just bring him up randomly, I'm assuming that's a dig at me. I think he's the best Bond and I say so.

I don't treat Dalton like he's gone back in time and killed Hitler, found the cure for cancer, saved a puppy from drowning, put out a fire at a childrens hospital and individually made everybody in the world a cake all on the same day (being deliberately OTT here but you see my point).
  • RC7RC7
    Tuulia wrote:
    ^^ Rrrright... I guess RC7 is mostly attacking me. Judging by your tone I guess you may be unfamiliar with the emoticon I used, which was :D That's pretty sad to begin with. You're missing the point entirely. You think that anyone not saving lives 24/7 is undeserving of praise for what they do, no matter how well? And of course you'd do a better job than Dan does - 20 hours a day, you say? Wow... It's also not about the money. There are people who get the money, but don't think they have to work for it all that hard necessarily (there are people like that everywhere, regardless of what the amount of money actually is) - and besides, apparently his attitude is the same when there isn't much $$$$ to speak of. It is NOT about the money. I have no idea what the Mother Teresa bit is referring to, so no comment on that. My guess is you don't live on the street or on a war zone, and aren't about to starve to death? So you wouldn't complain about anything, now would you, since that would show lack of perspective.

I wasn't specifically attacking you, no. For you to assume this suggests you were aware that you were being a little OTT.

There's praise and there's sycophancy. This is the latter. Would he be the same if he were being paid £10 an hour? Praise him all you want, but just remember, we're currently enduring economic turmoil. Harping on about the qualities of a man who gets paid to essentially perform in a popcorn flick doesn't ring true to some people. There are very many great actors and performers who do it for the love. Daniel Kitson anyone? One of the greatest comic talents in the world, restricts himself to low profile performances in a bid to maintain his credibility as an artist. He could be a multi-millionaire at the drop of a hat, however, he shuns it at the expense of his art. So, don't try and tell me Daniel Craig is some kind of slave to his profession. Bullshit. Real actors wouldn't be seen dead in Cowboys and Aliens. He's a Hollywood star, not a man in love with his craft.
    If anyone is in love with his craft, its him and he proves it. C&A was crap, but if you see the talent behind it, it makes more sense, that a man, who never dreamt of being JB but of being a cowboy would take that part. Just try to live with the fact, that some people feel like praising the man and if its not for you, just stay out of it.

Royale, I wasn't even thinking of you. As you have noticed, i stay out of any Dalton threads, because I cannot see a reason for all the praise and hence, I just shut up about it. This is, how you guys should handle this, too. Its he same thing and you wouldn't like it, if i trampled all over your appreciation either. Each to their own. And again, these were NOT our words, just quotes, so you should direct your disgust to the likes of Mendes & Co. I am sure, they would have to say a thing or two about some actors behaviour.

Mod edit - This post has been edited to remove word/s that are not suitable for use on this forum.
    RC7, I assumed you meant mostly me, since I talked most (and quoted others) in the last few posts you were talking about. Simple.

Nobody said anything about Craig being "some kind of slave to his profession" - that's all in your head. You, however, are saying he is not a real actor and "not a man in love with his craft", so I guess there's not much left to talk, we'd never agree on anything concerning Craig if that's where you're coming from.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    If anyone is in love with his craft, its him and he proves it. C&A was crap, but if you see the talent behind it, it makes more sense, that a man, who never dreamt of being JB but of being a cowboy would take that part. Just try to live with the fact, that some people feel like praising the man and if its not for you, just stay out of it.

You can believe whatever you like, I have the luxury of maintaining impartiality, whereas you're obsessed with the bloke. I have no problem with people praising DC, I've done it myself. Some of his work on Bond has been nothing short of brilliant. You and others jump to his defence when someone so much as has a slight dig at him, I try to add some perspective when it starts to spiral into an orgy of nonsense. Different strokes for different folks.
  • @Gemanlady I like Craig but I just think that sometimes the ammount of praise he gets is really OTT. He can do no wrong on here and almost everybody who doesn't like him is declared a troll. And this isn't an appreciation thread so I can say what I like.
  • RC7RC7
    @Tuulia - I think it was the cloying sentimentally in phrases such as...
    Tuulia wrote:
    Due to my great respect and admiration for Mr. Bardem, I was particularly moved by all the obviously heartfelt* praise Javier - both in English and in Spanish language interviews - gave Daniel as an actor, as a crazy stuntman, and most importantly as a person.

and
    Hats off to Dan for being the most dedicated Bond imaginable. That speaks volumes of his character and care for his craft.

That made me think we were straying into a world of BS. I'm sure you meant it sincerely, to me it came across a bit OTT. Like I said, there are lots of hard working actors out there, I don't see anything special in what DC has done to mark him out for special recognition. Apologies if it offended you.
    Amen!
    Like I said - tell that Mendes, Babs & Co. We were just repeating THEM.
    BTW RC7, if YOU fail to see something, that others do see (folks who know him), what bothers you so much?
    Also, first making the hits and then bringing out apologies, because you like Brady, now THAT is what I call OTT.

But all is said from my side. This goes nowhere...as usual.
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    BTW RC7, if YOU fail to see something, that others do see (folks who know him), what bothers you so much?
    Also, first making the hits and then bringing out apologies, because you like Brady, now THAT is what I call OTT.

But all is said from my side. This goes nowhere...as usual.

As usual, I don't get your point. Are you suggesting because somebody said a nice thing about little Daniel, it's gospel? Get real. The industry is full of people fawning over each other to get ahead. I'm sure what Javier and Sam have said is completely true, the quotes I referenced weren't from them though, were they? Besides, would Javier step forward and criticise a fellow cast member? As usual, your perspective is completely black or white. I tend to be rational about these things.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Children, children, please.
    No need for the pistols at dawn. I have edited posts from both @RC7 and @Germanlady, due to the language used. Both of you are well aware of this forums policy in the use of such language.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1/community-terms-conditions-of-use

I suggest we all calm down and get this thread back on topic. These pointless dummy spits over nothing are becoming far too frequent.
    Play nice...Thanks.
  • RC7RC7
    Benny wrote:
    Children, children, please.
    No need for the pistols at dawn. I have edited posts from both @RC7 and @Germanlady, due to the language used. Both of you are well aware of this forums policy in the use of such language.
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/1/community-terms-conditions-of-use

I suggest we all calm down and get this thread back on topic. These pointless dummy spits over nothing are becoming far too frequent.
    Play nice...Thanks.

No worries. Someone owes me a new keyboard though. The last page of this thread was vomit-inducing. ;)
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Yeah, GL, all those directors, co-actors, producers, what would they know, anyway.

RC7, of course, there are lots of hard working actors out there, and hard working people in other professions, and some of them are surely both hard-working and lovely people that their co-workers really like. Praising one doesn't take any credit away from others, and since this is a Skyfall thread, one would imagine it is not necessary to try and list others, or make a point about there indeed being others out there who also do their job remarkably well.

As for my comment about Javier... *sigh* ... I try to put it another way: one of my favourite actors thinks very highly of another of my favourite actors - and indeed the other way around. Huge mutual respect there, and I happen to like that, even more than just any mutual respect, since I really respect them both myself. If that makes me an idiot in your estimation, ok. And the other part of what I was saying was that it was clear to me that Javier was sincere (I already said why), and not just saying the usual polite things actors often say about each other when promoting a movie. And I liked to see that, too. If this sort of thinking is BS to you, so be it. I like it when people I like like each other, I'm stupid that way. Sorry it causes irritation.
    Sorry Benny for the language.
    :-& poor RC. Such weak stomach.
    :D
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Javier Bardem on the Red Carpet yesterday.

Javier_Bardem_SAG20138_zpse21c4114.jpg

Javier_Bardem_SAG20137_zps2c65887d.jpg

Javier_Bardem_SAG20136_zps6af75187.jpg

Javier_Bardem_SAG20135_zps59ff265d.jpg

Javier_Bardem_SAG20133_zps1030cf7c.jpg

Javier_Bardem_SAG20132_zps8911ba6b.jpg
    ^^ Thanks. Nice to see him as himself for a change, looks much better. :)

(NB: The above comment is in no way meant to imply he was the only person looking pretty good on that carpet - or indeed on any other carpets in the history of mankind. ;) )
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I'm sorry, but my piece must be said on this.

I am sick of the "Dan is messiah" comments that unoriginally rear their heads so frequently around these parts. Now, I am no religious man in any way shape or form, so I see no credence to those statements anyway. The truth of it is, we all live in a time where people in the public eye are becoming harder and harder to believe in when their lives are continually trashed and made garbage tabloid features. Dan is a man who is not only a great person, but a man in love with his art and has a great dedication to any and every film he is attached to, no matter how it turns out critically and financially, and for that I respect him. No, he doesn't keep criminals off the street. No, he doesn't storm into burning buildings to save trapped civilians. And no, he doesn't go overseas and give his life for the greater good of his country. But you must also understand that the importance of someone's job isn't judged only by the lives they save. Thousands upon thousands of people in occupations all over the world and in history past have made a difference, all without saving human life. That doesn't belittle their legacies or duties. There are plenty of us on here that don't save lives daily, but does that make us any less worthy of attention for our work, any less important in the grand scheme of things? Sometimes a hero can be more than that. A hero can be not only the surgeon working to save a sick patient, but also the person who comforted that individual when life seemed so fickle. A hero is not only the cop protecting people from a crazed madman, but also the person who stands by the victims in their time of shock and consoles them the best they can. A hero can not only be the soldier who drags his bullet riddled friend to safety and protects him from greater numbers, but also the person who helps to get them situated in a military hospital after, simply there so that the men can speak to them and find comfort in another human life.

And sometimes the hero can be not only the men and women working firsthand to get the sight of thousands back, but also the man who stands near, gaining the knowledge about the issue, showing his care for the patients' stressors and struggles, and is simply there to comfort them in this great time of their life where a wonderful sense of sight is again returned to them after so long. I think the men, women and children in this video would disagree about Dan being just a normal guy, and no man worthy of importance or the title of a "lifesaver":

Sorry for going off topic, had to do it.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited January 2013 Posts: 4,012
    Tuulia wrote:
    ^^ Thanks. Nice to see him as himself for a change, looks much better. :)

(NB: The above comment is in no way meant to imply he was the only person looking pretty good on that carpet - or indeed on any other carpets in the history of mankind. ;) )

:-)) the prize for the best disclamer goes to you @Tuulia.

EDIT: nice one @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7
  • RC7RC7
    I'm sorry, but my piece must be said on this.

I am sick of the "Dan is messiah" comments that unoriginally rear their heads so frequently around these parts. Now, I am no religious man in any way shape or form, so I see no credence to those statements anyway. The truth of it is, we all live in a time where people in the public eye are becoming harder and harder to believe in when their lives are continually trashed and made garbage tabloid features. Dan is a man who is not only a great person, but a man in love with his art and has a great dedication to any and every film he is attached to, no matter how it turns out critically and financially, and for that I respect him. No, he doesn't keep criminals off the street. No, he doesn't storm into burning buildings to save trapped civilians. And no, he doesn't go overseas and give his life for the greater good of his country. But you must also understand that the importance of someone's job isn't judged only by the lives they save. Thousands upon thousands of people in occupations all over the world and in history past have made a difference, all without saving human life. That doesn't belittle their legacies or duties. There are plenty of us on here that don't save lives daily, but does that make us any less worthy of attention for our work, any less important in the grand scheme of things? Sometimes a hero can be more than that. A hero can be not only the surgeon working to save a sick patient, but also the person who comforted that individual when life seemed so fickle. A hero is not only the cop protecting people from a crazed madman, but also the person who stands by the victims in their time of shock and consoles them the best they can. A hero can not only be the soldier who drags his bullet riddled friend to safety and protects him from greater numbers, but also the person who helps to get them situated in a military hospital after, simply there so that the men can speak to them and find comfort in another human life.

And sometimes the hero can be not only the men and women working firsthand to get the sight of thousands back, but also the man who stands near, gaining the knowledge about the issue, showing his care for the patients' stressors and struggles, and is simply there to comfort them in this great time of their life where a wonderful sense of sight is again returned to them after so long. I don't think the men, women and children in this video would disagree about Dan being just a normal guy, and no man worthy of importance or the title of a "lifesaver":

Sorry for going off topic, had to do it.

Fair play for trying to give some weight to your POV, unlike some others.

However, the cynic in me can't get past the fact this is a corporate video. I know actors are there to 'use' their profile for awareness but when it's sponsored by OMEGA, there is an agenda. Again, there are plenty of people who do this under the radar. I'm sure Dan is a great guy, and someone who'd be great to have a beer with.
    Hey! Javier Bardem got nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award! And allthough he didn't win it, it's by far a unique nomination for a Bond film :-D!
    0Brady, that was eloquent. :-* I hope you've seen the long version of that Orbis project, too. I found it educational and interesting. If anyone hasn't seen it, but would like to, it's here:

Thanks, Sandy. :)

And cynicism and negativity is just so tiring.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Tuulia wrote:
    0Brady, that was eloquent. :-* (I hope you've seen the long version of that Orbis project, too. I found it educational and interesting.)

Yes, it was quite a special video. I found out some stuff I never knew, and gained more appreciation for the sight I take for granted every day of my life.
    ^^ Yup, same here.

Gustav, that's right, being nominated is an honour and an achievement in itself. Of course, winning would be even nicer, but still.