Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Just read Empires list. Can't agree with it. Most of the films on the list I'd seen weren't where I'd put them.

Avengers as no 1? It was fun but I think it's far from the best film of 2012.

I'd have put Looper, SF and The Raid past Batman and Avengers. And Django Unchained didn't even make the list? I know it's not even out yet in the UK but they managed to review it.
    Skyfall just got a Producers Guild Award nomination!

The ten nominees are:

Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Django Unchained
    Les Misérables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Skyfall
    Zero Dark Thirty

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2013/01/02/producers-guild-nominations-any-minute-now/
  • I think this is a very good sign for oscar noms.
    However, I really think an Oscar nom for best picture is slightly overrated, the whole affair is overly political and essentially boils down to a popularity vote. So while I'd love SF to get the nom; in the grand scheme of things it doesn't validate the movie in any way that the public or critics haven't already.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Skyfall getting a Best Picture nod would be too much to ask for one would think. You already have the guaranteed nods with Lincoln, Les Mis, Argo, and The Master teamed with the ones that are way more likely of getting a nod like Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook and Django. Is it 10 Best Picture nominees now? If so, Skyfall may still slip through there, but like I said...it may need a miracle.
  • the producer Guild Award has gotten the last few best picture right......but I not sure if it really have any influence?
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    Javier Bardem shouldve picked up an award
    I hope, it does have an influence and I am pretty positive, SF will be among the Oscar contender for Best Picture.

In an intriguing move, the Producers Guild of America decided suddenly to move its annual PGA Awards nomination announcement up a day and put out the list shortly after 2 PM PT this afternoon — instead of the originally scheduled time tomorrow. Whatever the reason for jumping the gun, it could impact the Oscar race as the Academy extended its own voting period 24 hours to a 5 PM deadline Friday instead of Thursday, as originally planned, and the PGA choices could be influential for last-minute Oscar voters rushing to see everything and get their ballots in. In the new world of online voting for the Academy, this two-day window could be important, and I will bet the PGA was aware of that when they decided to unleash their choices today.

If that’s the case, the PGA’s 10 nominations for Best Picture — or as the guild calls it, the Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures — provided no real surprises. All 10 picks — Argo, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, Django Unchained, Les Miserables, Life Of Pi, Lincoln, Moonrise Kingdom, Silver Linings Playbook, Skyfall and Zero Dark Thirty — are the most likely contenders to score at the Oscars according to most prognosticator predictions.
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/pgas-best-picture-surprises-oscar/
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Skyfall just got a Producers Guild Award nomination!

The ten nominees are:

Argo
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Django Unchained
    Les Misérables
    Life of Pi
    Lincoln
    Moonrise Kingdom
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Skyfall
    Zero Dark Thirty

http://www.awardsdaily.com/blog/2013/01/02/producers-guild-nominations-any-minute-now/

THIS is a shocker for me! Really, I am good at predicting Oscar, Golden Globe, Guild Awards...but THIS! This is.....astonishing :O !! Even more so, no trace of 'The Dark Knight Rises', 'The Master' and 'The Hobbit', which means the Oscar buzz for 'Skyfall' is now severely increased. The Producers Guild Awards are most of the time strong indicators for the 'Best Picture' category at the Oscars. But it also increases the actual chance of winning an Oscar in whatever category. @Germanlady ? Can you hold me and shake me for a bit?
    @Gustav - its incredible, isn't it? I clearly seeing it at the Oscars now as BP.

..and yes, I can hold you and shake you up a bit. ;) Relax - its all good!!!

..some more..
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/top-10-geek-movies-2012-avengers-argo-heat-vision-406489
    Heat Vision's Top 10 Geek Movies of 2012
    Quote:
    6) Skyfall

"Some times, the old ways are the best,” says a character in this James Bond movie. What’s amazing is that after 50 years, we get a Bond movie as vital, thrilling, entertaining, and timely as this. Skyfall, like many other late-season releases, goes on for too long and wobbles in its Straw Dogs-style ending. But the movie expertly juggles great set pieces, political intrigue and winks to the Sean Connery and Roger Moore Bond eras while setting a 21st century course. And Daniel Craig captures the weariness of 007, but also his confidence and makes him a cool, sexy silver screen hero once again. It’s impossible to say if this is the best Bond ever since each 007 film is a reflection, good or bad, of its time. But it’s the Bond movie that we deserve right now.

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    First the Screen Actors Guild, now the PGA...

The song is a winner, but these names are really important thinking in Oscar nominations...

Impressive... again. :-O
    Dear @JamesPage. A small correction needs to be in place in the article on http://www.mi6-hq.com. 'Skyfall' is not shortlisted for a Producers Guild Of America Award, but nominated. 'The Master' and 'The Dark Knight Rises' were shortlisted too, but eventually not nominated in the final list of ten nominated films.

Moreover, 'Skyfall' gets serious buzz from Entertainment Weekly now. Especially this beautiful headline is prone to some serious Oscar-buzz :-P:
    007 Oscar hopes? 'Skyfall' lands on Producers Guild Awards list of top films by Anthony Breznican

The Producers Guild of America has announced its nominations for best productions of the year, in what is often looked to as an indicator for how the Academy Awards may go.

The guild selected 10 films — most of them common guesses for the group that could make up the Oscar list of the best films of 2012: Argo, Lincoln, Les Misérables, and Zero Dark Thirty among others.

The one surprise: Skyfall. No 007 film has ever cracked the Best Picture list, but if this nomination is any indication, that could change when the Oscar nods are revealed Jan. 10.

Last year, three out of the guild’s 10 didn’t match up with the Academy’s best picture selections. The Producers Guild skewed a little more populist, throwing nominations to Bridesmaids, The Ides of March, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, while the Academy went with The Tree of Life, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, and no tenth nominee.

The year before, the guild’s nominations were much closer to the mark, selecting The Town over the Academy’s choice of Winter’s Bone.

The Producers Guild Awards ceremony, which will be produced by Michael De Luca, will take place on Jan. 26.

The Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures:

'Argo' ● Producers: Ben Affleck, George Clooney, Grant Heslov

'Beasts of the Southern Wild' ● Producers: Michael Gottwald, Dan Janvey, Josh Penn

'Django Unchained' ● Producers: Reginald Hudlin, Pilar Savone, Stacey Sher

'Les Misérables' ● Producers: Tim Bevan & Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward, Cameron Mackintosh

'Life of Pi' ● Producers: Ang Lee, Gil Netter, David Womark

'Lincoln' ● Producers: Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg

'Moonrise Kingdom' ● Producers: Wes Anderson & Scott Rudin, Jeremy Dawson, Steven Rales

'Silver Linings Playbook' ● Producers: Bruce Cohen, Donna Gigliotti, Jonathan Gordon

'SKYFALL' ● PRODUCERS: BARBARA BROCCOLI, MICHAEL G. WILSON

'Zero Dark Thirty' ● Producers: Kathryn Bigelow, Mark Boal, Megan Ellison

Again, I am still amazedddd that 'Skyfall' is nominated for a Producer's Guild Award. It's UNIQUE. Barbara and Michael must have been drinking a lot of champagne lately. I still can NOT believe it! :-O

Moreover, and this hasn't been discussed before, it means that Barbara and Michael are being put in the spotlight as producers. They could now be interested in doing some other movies besides Bond.
  • Skyfall Oscar Predictions:

Almost certain:
    Best Song
    Best Cinematography

Strong Possibility:
    Best Supporting Actor (SAG/BFCA combo)
    Sound Editing
    Sound Mixing

50/50:
    Best Picture

Also possible/longer shots:
    Visual Effects
    Production Design
    Editing

IMO giving Bardem a nod for best supporting actor is a kick in the a*** to DC for all he brought to the character. End of story.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Germanlady wrote:
    IMO giving Bardem a nod for best supporting actor is a kick in the a*** to DC for all he brought to the character. End of story.

I wrote one reply, then thought maybe I misunderstood what you mean and deleted it. Could you please elaborate? (I'm only partially functioning atm due to illness and heavy medication, and my brains struggle.)
    Hey Tuulia, hope you will be better soon. Sorry to hear of your struggles. (You know, what I mean)
    I am straight forward as always. My hearth goes out to DC. He deserves more then ANYBODY in the Bond franchise than anybody else these last years to be acknowledged
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Skyfall getting a Best Picture nod would be too much to ask for one would think. You already have the guaranteed nods with Lincoln, Les Mis, Argo, and The Master teamed with the ones that are way more likely of getting a nod like Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook and Django. Is it 10 Best Picture nominees now? If so, Skyfall may still slip through there, but like I said...it may need a miracle.

Since the Golden Globes seem to be pretty close to what the Academy Awards nominations are, 'The Master' has received starring and supporting actor nominations, and that's about it. Replace that with 'Salmon Fishing in the Yemen,' which seemed to sweep the nominations. If it's ten, then you're probably right, and this is what I figure, in no particular order:

Lincoln, Les Miserables, Argo, Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Django Unchained, Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, Silver Linings Playbook, Skyfall, Zero Dark Thirty.

If it's five, I'll go ahead and agree with the Golden Globe nominations:

Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Django Unchained.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I think Oscars from now on since 2008 are 10 nominations for Best Picture. TDK would have been in the 08 nominees, but there were only 5 or 6 considered. Skyfall has a chance, politics be damned.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,541
    Going off of the reviews I've seen from some of the major critics, I feel pretty confident in saying that SF will get a spot in the Top Ten. I feel like Adele's theme song could be a lock, but I haven't heard the original song used in 'Les Miserables,' so that could be an upset.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 2,081
    Thanks Germanlady. I think I got you right the first time, then. Here's what I originally replied:

I respectfully disagree. I think that Daniel would certainly deserve a nod, as well, but I can't imagine it happening with Bond, ever. (I'd be happy to be proved wrong, obviously.) BAFTAs yes, Oscars, no. Just the way it is, I'm afraid. Giving a nod to Javier is not anything against Daniel, however, and I don't think he'd take it as such, either, and he would no doubt be genuinely happy for the "lovely man". :)

Tuulia wrote:
    Thanks Germanlady. I think I got you right the first time, then. Here's what I originally replied:

I respectfully disagree. I think that Daniel would certainly deserve a nod, as well, but I can't imagine it happening with Bond, ever. (I'd be happy to be proved wrong, obviously.) BAFTAs yes, Oscars, no. Just the way it is, I'm afraid. Giving a nod to Javier is not anything against Daniel, however, and I don't think he'd take it as such, either, and he would no doubt be genuinely happy for "the lovely man". :)

Tuulia, Daniel would be the first to agree with you on Javier. But never mind what the polotivs are - he deserves it more.
    As I have always said: The quiet, action louder than words roles are much harder to play than the theatrical villain. Dan needs recognition for the great Bond performance I have seen.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Dan needs recognition for the great Bond performance I have seen.

BAFTA may do that.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Dan needs recognition for the great Bond performance I have seen.

BAFTA may do that.

I hope so. Dan's performance in Skyfall may be the strongest of the series. He really brought it all.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I'm expecting the Baftas to give out the acting nods.
    Germanlady wrote:

Disagree. I thought Bardem was the highlight of the film and he deserves any award given to him.

Craig was great but what did he bring to the character that was really new in SF?
    Germanlady wrote:
    Tuulia wrote:

I respectfully disagree. I think that Daniel would certainly deserve a nod, as well, but I can't imagine it happening with Bond, ever. (I'd be happy to be proved wrong, obviously.) BAFTAs yes, Oscars, no. Just the way it is, I'm afraid. Giving a nod to Javier is not anything against Daniel, however, and I don't think he'd take it as such, either, and he would no doubt be genuinely happy for the "lovely man". :)

Tuulia, Daniel would be the first to agree with you on Javier. But never mind what the polotivs are - he deserves it more.

To agree with me on what? That Javier deserves a nomination? Did I say that? ;) In any case I do think that. And if he gets it, it's not, in any way, a slight against Daniel.

Heck, I'd give Oscars and any other awards to them both if it was up to me, and never mind the competion - I'm proudly biased on this. ;)
    As I have always said: The quiet, action louder than words roles are much harder to play than the theatrical villain. Dan needs recognition for the great Bond performance I have seen.

True.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    BAFTA may do that.

That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm expecting the Baftas to give out the acting nods.
    Germanlady wrote:

Disagree. I thought Bardem was the highlight of the film and he deserves any award given to him.

Craig was great but what did he bring to the character that was really new in SF?

Dan's performance as Bond is a journey. Little by little we have seen him grow from a reckless rookie in CR to a skilled, competent and loyal agent in Skyfall. Dan has portrayed that expertly, and in Skyfall you really see his love for the character shine. His Bond is relentless, even after so much has been taken, and the major scenes with Bond and M alone are some of the most powerful in the franchise. We are faced with a Bond who wants to hide his past, but is now forced to confront it. We get a look at Bond as a youth, and the struggles he dealt with when he thought the world was ending (the death of his parents). Nobody else could have exemplified the masked pain, the determination, the courageous loyalty to Queen and country that Dan gives to us in Skyfall. The performance is a grand finale to the M trilogy, and needs to be recognized for the marvel it is.
  • I thought he did his usual Bond except not as tough and brutal, and with a bit more humour thrown in.
    Hm - there were lots of replies, so my MAIN answer to that would be - what did bring Bardem more then DC to the film? Its easier to be an over the top villain then the "not being allowed to be the over the top hero of a film?" I think NOT. He should have gotten the Oscar nod many voters and critics spoke about for CR - so giving a one time villain with a bit of screen, that he used a nod would be a kick in the face,yes--and now kick mine. See if I care?
    I thought he did his usual Bond except not as tough and brutal, and with a bit more humour thrown in.

His "Usual" Bond is a lot more then we saw for some time already. Sometimes - around here - its like No - for Heavens sake, don't achnowledge the Bond actor or anything related to it. Maybe think again "What the f'***makes this franchise work?" Thank you very much.