Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

Javier barden wins best supporting actor for satellite award tonight

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/silver-linings-playbook-wins-satellite-403098

Well deserved and congrats to Javier! =D>
    Tuulia wrote:
    Shouldn't the title of the thread be Skyfall nominations/awards or something like that?

It says awards, I just haven't included the 'nominations' title for a short length. If you look at the original post, I've been keeping a list of both awards and nominations.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Great to see a wonderful film recognised in some fashion. Well done Mr. Bardem.
  • Samuel001 wrote:

Who is voting in the Satellite Awards? Just curious. An 'academy' of some sort? Internet voters? Members of press (newspapers, tv) like with the Golden Globes? Can anyone help me out with this question?
    Samuel001 wrote:

Who is voting in the Satellite Awards? Just curious. An 'academy' of some sort? Internet voters? Members of press (newspapers, tv) like with the Golden Globes? Can anyone help me out with this question?

http://www.pressacademy.com/

JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Tuulia wrote:
    Shouldn't the title of the thread be Skyfall nominations/awards or something like that?

It says awards, I just haven't included the 'nominations' title for a short length. If you look at the original post, I've been keeping a list of both awards and nominations.

Yes, I have read the whole thread, and now I realize you keep changing the title, which is all good then... :)

I thought SAG refers to Screen Actors Guild, though - isn't this a different award? Or maybe I got it wrong? A bit confused here with all the awards there are.

Tuulia wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Tuulia wrote:

Yes, I have read the whole thread, and now I realize you keep changing the title, which is all good then... :)

I thought SAG refers to Screen Actors Guild, though - isn't this a different award? Or maybe I got it wrong? A bit confused here with all the awards there are.

Oh, yep, your right. Fixed it. Guess I just read what I wanted to see
    :\">
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was thinking the same thing about the SAG Award, as well.

Congratulations, Bardem, on giving us an incredibly psychotic, creepy villain!
  • Roger Deakins wins best cinematorgraphy from the St. Louis Film Critics Award winners with Life of Pi as the runner up.....
    http://www.stlfilmcritics.org/annual-awards/

but lose best cinematography from Southeastern Film Critics to Life Pi with Roger Deakin as the runner-up.....
    http://blogs.commercialappeal.com/the_bloodshot_eye/2012/12/dfsfsdfds.html
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,081
    I was just thinking before I read the news about the Satellite award how much I love Javier's portrayal of Silva. A fascinating, entertaining, complex character acted perfectly. On the surface theatrical, somewhat comical, but sorta creepy, yet charming and fun, and indeed playful - in a deadly way. Right beneath that relentless, merciless, violent, intelligent, cunning, bitter, cold, driven by vengeance, with a very clear goal in mind. But beneath all that an emotional, broken man who has suffered immeasurably both physically, and even more psychologically, and has been torn, twisted and crushed by it all. His tenderness (towards both Bond and M) seems just as genuine as his lack of respect for human life. Different aspects show at different times, or many aspects at the same time, the changes sometimes sudden and unexpected - fitting for somebody unstable and disturbed.

I keep thinking, for instance, about that roughly minute and a half bit between Silva sitting down in front of James and getting up again. There's one thing and another, possibly a couple more things, and I'm thinking what's going on... inside his head? What is he thinking? Feeling? A pity I'm unlikely to ever get a chance to talk to Javier about this... :P

But my goodness he's fabulous as Silva. ^:)^

Oh and congratulations to Roger Deakins, too, for another award. =D> He also deserves every possible recognition.
    St Louis Film Critics Awards

Quote:
    Best Cinematography: “Skyfall” (Roger Deakins)
    (runner-up): “Life of Pi” (Claudio Miranda)

Southeastern Film Critics

Quote:
    BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
    Winner: Life of Pi: Claudio Miranda
    Runner-up: Skyfall: Roger Deakins

AP critics share 2012's top 10 movies

The top 10 films of 2012, according to AP Movie Critic Christy Lemire:

Quote:
    3. “Skyfall”

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/entertainment/253717/AP-critics-share-2012's-top-10-movies

3. "Skyfall" — One of the best James Bond films ever starring the best Bond yet in Daniel Craig. It's also the most gorgeous installment in the 23-film franchise, with Sam Mendes directing and Roger Deakins as cinematographer. It's full of the requisite thrills but also complicated and meaty, featuring an agent who isn't always slick and doesn't always have the answers in hunting an elusive cyberterrorist (a fantastic Javier Bardem).
    http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/amour-the-master-lead-london-film-critics-circle-nominations/#more-390815

The Sky Movies Award: FILM OF THE YEAR
    Amour (Artificial Eye)
    Argo (Warners)
    Beasts Of The Southern Wild (StudioCanal)
    Life Of Pi (Fox)
    The Master (Entertainment)

The May Fair Hotel Award: BRITISH FILM OF THE YEAR
    Berberian Sound Studio (Artificial Eye)
    The Imposter (Picturehouse/Revolver)
    Les Miserables (Universal)
    Sightseers (StudioCanal)
    Skyfall (Sony)

The Spotlight Award: ACTOR OF THE YEAR
    Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln (Fox)
    Hugh Jackman – Les Miserables (Universal)
    Mads Mikkelsen – The Hunt (Arrow)
    Joaquin Phoenix – The Master (Entertainment)
    Jean-Louis Trintignant – Amour (Artificial Eye)

ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Jessica Chastain – Zero Dark Thirty (Universal)
    Marion Cotillard – Rust And Bone (StudioCanal)
    Helen Hunt – The Sessions (Fox)
    Jennifer Lawrence – Silver Linings Playbook (Entertainment)
    Emmanuelle Riva – Amour (Artificial Eye)

SUPPORTING ACTOR OF THE YEAR
    Alan Arkin – Argo (Warners)
    Javier Bardem – Skyfall (Sony)
    Michael Fassbender – Prometheus (Fox)
    Philip Seymour Hoffman – The Master (Entertainment)
    Tommy Lee Jones – Lincoln (Fox)

SUPPORTING ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Amy Adams – The Master (Entertainment)
    Judi Dench – Skyfall (Sony)
    Sally Field – Lincoln (Fox)
    Anne Hathaway – Les Miserables (Universal)
    Isabelle Huppert – Amour (Artificial Eye)

BRITISH ACTOR OF THE YEAR – In association with Cameo Productions
    Daniel Craig – Skyfall (Sony)
    Charlie Creed-Miles – Wild Bill (The Works/Universal)
    Daniel Day-Lewis – Lincoln (Fox)
    Toby Jones – Berberian Sound Studio (Artificial Eye)
    Steve Oram – Sightseers (StudioCanal)

BRITISH ACTRESS OF THE YEAR
    Emily Blunt – Looper (eOne) and Your Sister’s Sister (StudioCanal)
    Judi Dench – The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (Fox) and Skyfall (Sony)
    Alice Lowe – Sightseers (StudioCanal)
    Helen Mirren – Hitchcock (Fox)
    Andrea Riseborough – Shadow Dancer (Param
    Thanks, @Germanlady

Original post updated accordingly.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Great news this and well deserved. The design in Bond has always been one of it's key points.
    Skyfall has the second most viewed movie trailer on YouTube of 2012. I'll count that as an audience award.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Skyfall has the second most viewed movie trailer on YouTube of 2012. I'll count that as an audience award.

I definitely helped with that one! :D
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 117
    God, I'm so proud. :x All these nominations...
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

That's even more impressive in seeing as there were two different trailers
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Just curious...what was number 1?
  • AWARDS ! HONORS! RECOGNITION! PRIZES! CONTESTS !

You couldn't make it up. Can only add can't quite see why Bardem was awarded an award or such honor, because I genuinely thought his Silva character was pretty mundane and certainly lacked any menace, something that needs to come back into the franchise as soon as they are able. Yes as before, he was different from your usual main adversary, but was that a path to success? Not this time all said

Dench seems well deserved as she gave another fine performance, and disappointed she had to go, as I thought she had at least one more release to give us, and as for Bond himself, Craig seems to deserve his accolade, if only a bit far fetched at times this year, but if you can look beyond that, a good actor that can bring in audiences
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Just curious...what was number 1?

Dark Knight Rises (No surprise there)
    Could we maybe change the tread title back to just Awards, please?

Skyfall' voted Digital Spy readers' best movie of 2012

The latest James Bond instalment - released to coincide with the franchise's 50th anniversary - dominated the survey's movie categories, with Daniel Craig and Judi Dench also winning for 'Best Actor' and 'Best Actress' respectively.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a446699/skyfall-voted-digital-spy-readers-best-movie-of-2012.html#ixzz2FgqtZfzK
    Updated title and original post accordingly, @Germanlady. :)
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Updated title and original post accordingly, @Germanlady. :)

Much appreciated, thanks :D
    The second one to give his list is imbecilic. There isn't an ounce of anything that connects Bond to Bourne in Skyfall. You can tell he isn't a knowledgable fan.
    The second one to give his list is imbecilic. There isn't an ounce of anything that connects Bond to Bourne in Skyfall. You can tell he isn't a knowledgable fan.

Agreed.

For the original post list, I added a rankings section and averaged the three editors of that think to 7th out of 10. I also included a few other website rankings.
  • I think Skyfall has good a good chance in cinematography, original song and supporting actor (Bardem) and some options with sound categories, Dench as supporting actress and best picture.
    Skyfall was ranked #4 on Empire Magazine's Best films of 2012 :)