Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• oh, ok :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm still itching to find out if SF will receive a Best Picture nomination, which would be phenomenal to hear. With the way the Producer's Guild of America listed it as one of the ten, alongside Bardem's nomination earlier on, I think it's a possibility.
    It's interesting to see the many websites doing Oscar nomination predictions. About half of them say that Skyfall will be nominated, the other half say it has no chance at all. Some say that Bardem is a sure thing, some say no. A lot of them say that Judi Dench will be nominated as well.
    bondbat007 wrote:
    It's interesting to see the many websites doing Oscar nomination predictions. About half of them say that Skyfall will be nominated, the other half say it has no chance at all. Some say that Bardem is a sure thing, some say no. A lot of them say that Judi Dench will be nominated as well.

That's how it always seems to be, including Quentin Tarantino: some say he will be shortlisted, others say he most certainly has a chance.

Others, of course, are locks, such as 'Argo,' 'Lincoln,' etc.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    bondbat007 wrote:

That's how it always seems to be, including Quentin Tarantino: some say he will be shortlisted, others say he most certainly has a chance.

Others, of course, are locks, such as 'Argo,' 'Lincoln,' etc.
    That's because Quentin and Bond are wild cards. Argo and Lincoln are instant nominees because they are what gets the Academy all hot and bothered: Dramas based off of real historical events.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 40,492
    Controversial issues - homosexuality, and apparently Nicole Kidman peeing on Zac Efron in 'The Paperboy' - usually sway voters, it seems.

Dramas based off of real historical events don't get the win lock every single time: 'Munich,' a Spielberg great, lost out to Haggis' 'Crash' for 2005.

It will be interesting to see if the majority of voters preferred the last few months of Lincoln's life, or a crucial hostage rescue mission in the 70's. I still need to see 'Argo.'
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Just thinking,

Sam Mendes' very first action movie, VERY FIRST, hit $1 Billion dollars.

I bet he couldn't win any bigger award.. or career boost.
  • patiently waiting for BAFTA nomation to be announced in a couple of hours......
    patiently waiting for BAFTA nomation to be announced in a couple of hours......

How many hours? I may stay up to check them out, granted it isn't some ridiculous time for me.
  • less than 40 mins until BAFTA nomination......longest wait ever
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Just a question I have had for a quite long time, how influential is the BAFTA award compared to the Academy Awards?
  • No Best film, no best director, no best actor even though this is the British awards but Best British film
  • No Best film, no best director, no best actor even though this is the British awards but Best British film

Go figure....Skyfall took over the UK this year...not even in the best film category...crazy.

The Brits being overly fair again...if this was the US...it would never have happened.

Lincoln....Les Mis? Acting lovies loving 'serious' films pah.

Go figure....Skyfall took over the UK this year...not even in the best film category...crazy.

The Brits being overly fair again...if this was the US...it would never have happened.

Lincoln....Les Mis? Acting lovies loving 'serious' films pah.

dont forget Ben Affleck for best actor.........I would put someone esle over him even Craig would be good.....
    They must be joking. This is ridiculous. Joaquin Phoenix over DC? Really? This guy doesn't even want it. They probably thought, giving him British Actor of the year was enough. Utterly disappointing. If I were him, would decline from presenting.
  • I think that Skyfall will win Outstanding British Film.......no way it can lose that????

I thought since this the British award Skyfall would get Best director or Film but robbed and replaced by American made film
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I expected Best British film (which SF stands a good chance of winning to be fair) but I thought we'd get a Best film nom as well and soem acting nods.

I expected more than this. Disappointed.
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Read the tweets and you will see, that many people are as aken back by this decision as we are. it makes no sense. Its a slap into the face of SF and DC.

5 technical nods - wow, big deal.
  • Well lets hope I was wrong and the Oscars are more generous than the Baftas.

Serously this film has taken the UK by storm so I'm surprised the British awards didn't give SF that much notice.
  • there is something wrong with the BAFTA! If Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last year got Best film then how can Skyfall not get it??? The BAFTA must love american film than British film......

I hope Oscar is better than this........I dont care about the technical awards no big deal, means nothing
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Well lets hope I was wrong and the Oscars are more generous than the Baftas.

Serously this film has taken the UK by storm so I'm surprised the British awards didn't give SF that much notice.

Right now, I am REALLY pissed. Its just not right. Why do you think, the Oscars will do better. Bafta was the films best bet. Sure 8 nods is not bad, but BP and BA are surely missing.

To me this feels like "We are NOT going to do the obvious by all means"
  • I'm hoping the Oscars will be more generous but I'm not counting on it.
  • Don't expect the Oscar to be any better......sadly Skyfall will get technical awards and maybe supporting actor or actress.......the chance of best picture or best director is very silm
    If I was DC, I would skip the bloody ceremony.
    Germanlady wrote:

Why!! The Oscars are great fun :D!
  • I've just seen basically every major film released this year now, and I think the only award Skyfall deserves to win an Oscar for is Best Original Song. Still a phenomenal movie, but all bias aside, there are more deserving films.
    Germanlady wrote:

I am talking Baftas.

Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

I am talking Baftas.

Yeah, true. People say it's a good indicator for the Oscars. Well, it's not that much. There's a bit too much British bias in it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Get a bit of perspective please. We are fans on here so we are all going to think SF deserves an award in every category but not everyone in the world is a die hard Bond fan and that goes double for people handing out awards. Just because its ‘taken the UK by storm’ doesn’t mean its necessarily a good film. Is The Avengers going to win any awards? Its not a popularity contest or the sodding X factor.

Now I know all you members of the ‘SF is the greatest film ever made and we wont tolerate any dissent’ brigade are going to angrily rear up and tell me to leave the thread for being negative but I’ve got news for you: despite making a lot of money and being very competently made SF is not the tour de force of cinema you would have us believe. It is a very slick piece of entertainment and of its genre it’s a very impressive example but just because acting and direction wise it’s light years ahead of DAD and the Rog era doesn’t suddenly make it Bergman.

Best picture, director and actor were always going to be a tall order. Javier and Judi have as good a chance as anybody as does Deakins and it has to be in with a good shout for Best British Film. Plenty of technical nods also which as a reasonable chance of winning. I’ll be happy with one or two wins in technical categories. If Judi, Javier or Roger can bring home one award between them I’ll be over the moon. If SF walks away with more than one win we should be happy (except Best British film. I’m not counting this as a proper award. Just seems like a bit like the Europa league for those not good enough to get a best picture nod).

Dry your tears and stop being so childish and spare a thought for all the fans on Batman forums complaining about TDKR getting a paltry one nomination (even a Nolan blockbuster, the gold standard by which many are measuring SF, doesn’t automatically mean awards you see).

At least this should damp down all the insane Oscar speculation on here. Adele has a good chance because it’s a weak category and maybe Deakins but that will be your lot so prepare yourself for it so we don’t have to put up with this bleating when the Academy similarly overlooks SF in all the main categories in a few weeks time.
    Well obviously this year, they voted pretty US, no? Too much, if you ask me.