Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,119
    BY THE WAY: Today the Academy announced that the song 'Skyfall', written by Paul Epworth and performed by Adele, is now officially on the shortlist of 75 songs for the Oscar category 'Best Original Song'. It also means that 'Skyfall' will not be disqualified.

The song is now tipped for winning the Oscar in this category and nomination is an almost certainty by now. Its nomination would be the first since Sheena Easton got a nomination for the Bond title song 'For Your Eyes Only' during the 1982 Academy Awards.

BY THE WAY: Today the Academy announced that the song 'Skyfall', written by Paul Epworth and performed by Adele, is now officially on the shortlist of 75 songs for the Oscar category 'Best Original Song'. It also means that 'Skyfall' will not be disqualified.

The song is now tipped for winning the Oscar in this category and nomination is an almost certainty by now. Its nomination would be the first since Sheena Easton got a nomination for the Bond title song 'For Your Eyes Only' during the 1982 Academy Awards.
    Great news, this is. And Adele's song is WELL deserved for an Oscar win.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Should Deakins win the Oscar as well, we'd have the first Bond film to win two! It's concerning, will another Bond film be able to live up to how well Skyfall has done?
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Should Deakins win the Oscar as well, we'd have the first Bond film to win two! It's concerning, will another Bond film be able to live up to how well Skyfall has done?

If 'Cubby' is watching from the high heavens down on the current Bond producers, he would be absolutely delighted.
  • SJK91 wrote:

:O This........this is AMAZING news. Even I haven't predicted this. And the pundits didn't predict it either. Bardem only had an outside chance to get nominated for a SAG-award.

I recommend the editors of MI6-HQ.COM to create an updated news article about the upcoming award season. This IS big news. For Bond standards....this is HUGE news.
  • Well I'm not a huge fan of the Adele song but eh, it's publicity.

Great news about Bardem! He deserves it.
    SJK91 wrote:

:O This........this is AMAZING news.

Very well said. I will eat my hat if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination.
  • SJK91 wrote:

:O This........this is AMAZING news.

Very well said. I will eat my hat if he doesn't get an Oscar nomination.

Let's take it easy :-). Tomorrow the Golden Globe nominations. If Javier is on there, then nomination for the Oscars becomes very likely. If not......then it's a different story. But nomination for the SAG? Sjee, it is indeed astonishing.
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    All others are just meodeocre wins anyway if it's not Oscar it not the real deal.
  • Golden Globe tomorrow (Dec 13) but I expect none of the big 4 but supporting actress or Music/Composer only
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    bond50 wrote:
    All others are just meodeocre wins anyway if it's not Oscar it not the real deal.

With this comment you really showed you know a lot about cinema 8-}
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,425
    From what I can see SF hasn't been nominated for any Golden Globes apart from song. But then they don't seem to have any of the technical categories that you might expect a Bond movie to be nominated for.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    ^Yes, it looks like SKyfall did get nominated for Original Song, although Judi Dench did get nominated, but for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel).
    Artemis81 wrote:
    ^Yes, it looks like SKyfall did get nominated for Original Song, although Judi Dench did get nominated, but for Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy (The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel).

I think that could be described as clutching at straws.
    The Golden Globes are widely regarded as a strong indicator for the stars nominated in the Academy Awards, which take place later in the year. I really can't see Skyfall getting many Oscar nods now that the Globe nominees have been announced and there's no sign of any SF actors amongst them.

So is Lazenby still the only Bond to be nominated for a Golden Globe?
    Getafix wrote:
    From what I can see SF hasn't been nominated for any Golden Globes apart from song. But then they don't seem to have any of the technical categories that you might expect a Bond movie to be nominated for.

http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/golden-globes

Slight differences in the category 'Best Supporting Male Actor' between the Golden Globes, the Critics Choice Awards and the SAG's now:
    --> SGA Nomination, Critics Choice Nomination but NO Golden Globe Nomination: Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook (2012).
    --> SGA Nomination, Critics Choice Nomination but NO Golden Globe Nomination: Javier Bardem for Skyfall (2012).
    --> Golden Globe Nomination but NO SGA & Critics Choice Nomination: Leonardo DiCaprio for Django Unchained (2012).
    --> Golden Globe Nomination but NO SGA & Crotics Choice Nomination: Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained (2012).
    --> Critics Choice Nomination but NO SGA & Golden Globe Nomination: Matthew McConaughey for Magic Mike (2012).
    --> Nominated for Golden Globe, SAG Award ánd Critics Choice Award: Alan Arkin, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Tommy Lee Jones.

This means we have EIGHT candidates in the category 'Best Supporting Male Actor' for the 2013 Oscars. Expect FIVE of them back at the Oscars:
    --> Alan Arkin for Argo (2012)
    --> Javier Bardem for Skyfall (2012)
    --> Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook (2012)
    --> Leonardo DiCaprio for Django Unchained (2012)
    --> Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master (2012)
    --> Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln (2012)
    --> Matthew McConaughey for Magic Mike (2012)
    --> Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained (2012)

In my opinion, the Screen Actors Guild Awards are slightly better to use for a prediction of the Oscars. Early this year four out of five SGA nominations went on to the Oscars in the category 'Best Supporting Male Actor'. Three out of five Golden Globe nominations in the category 'Best Supporting Male Actor' went on to the Oscars in the same category.

Both the SGA's and the GG's had the same 'Best Supporting Male Actor' winner as with the Oscars: Christopher Plummer. But the SGA's are a slightly better indicator for the Oscars than the Golden Globes.

Furthermore, the Golden Globes are dividing the nominations into awards for 'Best Comedy/Musical Picture' and 'Best Drama Picture'. Moreover, the GG's are using a slightly different method to decide the actors in the category 'Best Supporting Actor' compared to the Oscars.

Having said that, Javier Bardem still has got a big possibility to be nominated for an Oscar in the category 'Best Supporting Male Actor'. And I expect Javier to be nominated for a BAFTA for sure.

But actually winning this Oscar, or even the SGA Award, might be a bit more difficult. I also think Leo DiCaprio deserved a SGA nomination for 'Django'. And so far I consider Philip Seymour Hoffman my favourite to win this Oscar.

But hey, 'Never Say Never Again' ;-). Will be even more exciting now to see who of the above 8 actors get nominated for an Oscar :-).

• RC7RC7
    I also think Leo DiCaprio deserved a SGA nomination for 'Django'.

Have you seen it?

RC7 wrote:

Have you seen it?

Yes, again a whicked movie :-P. Leo was great in it. As......bad ass as Javier Bardem. I saw it in the early night premiere here in Barcelona.

But I do think that two actors from the same Tarantino movie nominated in the same category might be a bit too much. And the Golden Globes are a bit more about entertaining movies from more diverse genres.

I do have a feeling that the tiny James Bond 'mania' will fill the Oscars this year. Many Academy members know the Broccoli's and know about Bond's struggle at the big Awards. Like 'Lord Of The Rings', they might award 'Skyfall' with some more awards then we are anticipating right now. Just out of respect and support for the biggest franchise ever. So I still believe Javier Bardem will be nominated for an Oscar.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote:

Have you seen it?

Yes, again a whicked movie :-P. Leo was great in it.

I'm very much looking forward to it. I have a good feeling about it.

I strongly believe, DDL is a sure bet for Oscar as is his film Lincoln. IMO no way Seymor will get it.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    I strongly believe, DDL is a sure bet for Oscar as is his film Lincoln. IMO no way Seymor will get it.

Daniel Day Lewis is not nominated for this movie in this category Germanlady, Tommy Lee Jones is. Day Lewis is nominated for 'Best Leading Actor'. Philip Seymour Hoffman is nominated for 'Best Supporting Actor'.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Sorry, of course...in a way - I don't think, Bardem deserves to win. I say that, without having seen the others performances, because IMO, its always easier to play an over the top character, then giving a nuanced performance of some kind, that lives from subtle acting, which, I assume, some of the other nominees have done. Just my two...
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I'm going to see Django Unchained on boxing day.

Can't wait. Could be film of the year even after SF.
    I've been updating a full list of wins and nominations on the original post for those who are interested.
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    I've been updating a full list of wins and nominations on the original post for those who are interested.

This is a great link: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/film-awards-and-nominations-2012. Perhaps you can feature it on your initial post :-)?
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2012 Posts: 9,117
    So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

Adele for the song and perhaps Deakins an outside bet and that really is your lot.

Seems like business as usual for Bond at the Oscars.
  • I think it'll do fairly well at the Baftas though.
    So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

Adele for the song and perhaps Deakins an outside bet and that really is your lot.

Seems like business as usual for Bond at the Oscars.

IMDB still has their OSCAR predictions set to have Skyfall earn 11 nominations!!!!!

I don't think anyone even on this site is that ambitious.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I don't think Skyfall will get many Oscar nominations but I believe it will do good at the Baftas. However I don't think the Golden Globes are a good prediction for the Oscars, in the past few years many Globe winners didn't even get nominated by the Academy, it's all a bit unpredictable.