Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Cloud Atlas,' 'The Dark Knight Rises,' 'Life of Pi,' 'The Hobbit,' and 'Skyfall' appear to be the Top 5 for me. I don't see any of the others making it to the final list. 'Prometheus,' maybe/probably, but we'll see.
  • Prometheus had brilliant effects, I could see that being there. Hobbit will probably win that one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I haven't seen 'Cloud Atlas' yet, but I know it's been praised for its VFX. 'The Dark Knight Rises' might get a nod, and I'm sure 'Life of Pi's use of 3D will get in the Top 5. 'Hobbit' will probably win. I just hope SF surprises the majority of us and manages at least three Oscar nominations.
    2 noms from the International Online Film Critics Poll

Quote:
    Best Production Design
    Rick Carter – Lincoln
    Nathan Crowley, Kevin Kavanaugh – The Dark Knight Rises
    Maria Djurkovic – Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    David Crank, Jack Fish – The Master
    Dennis Gassner – Skyfall

Quote:
    Best Visual Effects
    The Avengers
    Black Swan
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Skyfall
    The Tree of Life

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/12/international-online-film-critics-poll.html
    I love Skyfall like a family member, but I really don't see it even being on the nominations end for visual effects. There are some very impressive visual effects in the film (there's an article floating around these forums detailing them), but at the same time...well, there were some visual effects that weren't great.

It's gonna be Avengers me thinks.
  • I thought there was some dodgy CGI.

SF deserves awards for many things but to be honest I don't think VFX is one of them.

Out of the films I've seen this year, I'd give that one to Prometheus.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    robboadam wrote:
    I don't see The Dark Knight Rises on there. What is up with that? All the directors nominated this year wish they could be as ambitious as Nolan and still come out of it with a success. I want a nod for Picture, Director, effects, Actor/Actress and some recognition for Hans Zimmer's score!

robboadam wrote:
    I don't see The Dark Knight Rises on there. What is up with that? All the directors nominated this year wish they could be as ambitious as Nolan and still come out of it with a success. I want a nod for Picture, Director, effects, Actor/Actress and some recognition for Hans Zimmer's score!
    I think Dark Knight Rises deserves an oscar for visual effects over The Avengers, although something tells me that The Avengers is going to take it anyway.

Perhaps this isn't the place to discuss The Dark Knight Rises, but I can't help but feel it was a tad of a letdown after the jaw-dropping TDK....

I suppose I'll see you in the Batman thread. ;)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 5,767
    robboadam wrote:
    Hans Zimmer´s merciless droning is one man reason I probably won´t get the film on DVD. How´s that for recognition :ar! ?

I´m not saying it hasn´t got exquisite parts, but overall, the total lack of sublety is not in my favor.

I find it curious that SF should get nominated for an Award for its special effects, since the dodgy ones, as few as they were, are so impressive that they almost make me oversee how good the good ones are.
    For sure SF´s special effects are no match to Prometheus or The Avengers.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Skyfall: cinematography and production design.
    Yes, I'd love it to win those awards.
    In a rush, but just to say I'm back. And really, really happy with Skyfall. Saw it yesterday here in Japan. My review will be posted later, in about 15 hours from now.
  • @4EverBonded Good to have you back. I'm looking forward to reading your SF review.
    :) @4Ever
  • Just wondering if Newman's score might pick up some nominations. I wouldn't expect it to win. Up against The Hobbit and Lincoln.
    Just wondering if Newman's score might pick up some nominations. I wouldn't expect it to win. Up against The Hobbit and Lincoln.

Having listened to a part of the Hobbit OST I would say that if Newman would win, it would be a robbery first class.

SaintMark wrote:
    Just wondering if Newman's score might pick up some nominations. I wouldn't expect it to win. Up against The Hobbit and Lincoln.

Having listened to a part of the Hobbit OST I would say that if Newman would win, it would be a robbery first class.
    Not wanting to sound sour, but it would be a crime already to nominate Newman for SF.

It deserves additional nominations for cinematography, score, and sound design, at the very least.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    robboadam wrote:
    Hans Zimmer´s merciless droning is one man reason I probably won´t get the film on DVD. How´s that for recognition :ar! ?

I´m not saying it hasn´t got exquisite parts, but overall, the total lack of sublety is not in my favor.

I find it curious that SF should get nominated for an Award for its special effects, since the dodgy ones, as few as they were, are so impressive that they almost make me oversee how good the good ones are.
    For sure SF´s special effects are no match to Prometheus or The Avengers.
    I doubt The Avengers will even get a nod.
  • Prometheus should win the effects award. SF might deserve awards but effects isn't one of them, some dodgy CGI used.
    boldfinger wrote:
    Not wanting to sound sour, but it would be a crime already to nominate Newman for SF.

I don't think the score was great either but I can see him getting nominated just because it's him.
    I don't think they can even nominate the Soundtrack. Because it's not 100% original. Parts of it were taken from the 1962 Dr. No. so even if they wanted to nominate it they couldn't. The same happened with The Godfather where Nino Rota was discualified and they entered Sleuth in its place.
    0iker0 wrote:
    I don't think they can even nominate the Soundtrack. Because it's not 100% original. Parts of it were taken from the 1962 Dr. No. so even if they wanted to nominate it they couldn't. The same happened with The Godfather where Nino Rota was discualified and they entered Sleuth in its place.
    Exactly. Rota used a piece from his Fortunella score. Newman used the Bond theme many a time. He may too get the boot, though it is worth it to hear that wonderful theme on the big screen.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,215
    Regardless I don't think that Newman's score warrants a nomination. The only major awards I imagine Skyfall being nominated for are Best Cinematography, Best Supporting Actress for Dame Judi Dench, and possibly Javier Bardem for Best Supporting Actor, but after seeing Beasts of the Southern Wild I think Dwight Henry is more deserving of the nomination. One thing that has managed to surprise me is that Sam Mendes hasn't even been mentioned in the Best Director race, which I find bizzare considering his direction is arguably the strongest aspect of the film.
    I think, the nods should stay in one thread. There are enough and hard to find treads as it is. ;)

http://www.indiewire.com/article/complete-list-of-2012-satellite-award-nominations
    http://www.indiewire.com/article/save-the-dates-heres-the-2012-13-awards-season-calendar#

December 2012
    3 - Producers Guild Award voting opens
    3 - New York Film Critics Circle vote and announce winners
    3 - Satellite Award nominations announced
    4 - Directors Guild Award voting opens
    5 - National Board of Review vote and announce winners
    9- Los Angeles Film Critics vote and announce winners
    9 - British Independent Film Awards
    10 - AFI Awards announced
    11 - Critics Choice Award nominations announced
    12 - Screen Actors Guild Award nominations announced
    13 - Golden Globe Award nominations announced
    16 - Satellite Awards
    17 - Academy Award nomination voting opens

January 2013
    2 - Screen Actors Guild Award final ballots mailed
    3 - Academy Award nomination voting ends.
    3 - Producers Guild Award nominations announced
    3 - Writers Guild Award nominations announced
    8 - National Board of Review Awards Gala
    10 - Academy Award nominations announced
    10 - Critics Choice Awards
    13 - Golden Globe Awards
    26 - Producers Guild Awards
    27 - Screen Actors Guild Awards

February 2013
    2 - Directors Guild Awards
    8 - Final Academy Award voting begins
    19 - Final Academy Award voting ends
    23 - Independent Spirit Awards
    24 - Academy Awards
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 3,333
    The influential New York Film Critics Circle results are already in and British stars Rachel Weisz and Daniel Day Lewis have won major pre-Oscar prizes in New York. Day Lewis took best actor for his portrait of Abraham Lincoln in Steven Spielberg's film Lincoln and Rachel Weisz was named lead actress for her performance in the British film The Deep Blue Sea. Last year's victor Meryl Streep went on to win the Oscar for her portrait of Margaret Thatcher in The Iron Lady.

Also Kathryn Bigelow's film Zero Dark Thirty, about the killing of Osama bin Laden, won Best Picture and Director.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Yes, Rachels win was unexpected but not undeserved. The few, who have seen the film, said her performance was top notch. Maybe the film gets a wider release now.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:
    Yes, Rachels win was unexpected but not undeserved. The few, who have seen the film, said her performance was top notch. Maybe the film gets a wider release now.

I don't think it's that unexpected. I bet she will get another Oscar nom for this film, if not win. I voted for her as best actress at the Empire awards.
  • Hello everyone,

In the mail today, just received a Skyfall screener with the words "For Your Consideration" on the jacket (we receive these because of membership in the Director's Guild).

I would suspect many here would be thrilled to hear this!
    bondtheory wrote:
    Hello everyone,

In the mail today, just received a Skyfall screener with the words "For Your Consideration" on the jacket (we receive these because of membership in the Director's Guild).

Well, I am. But as many here already declared, they coldn't care less about any awards or wards buzz. Ah well - each to their own. I don't see a reason, not to be proud.

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:
    bondtheory wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Well, I am. But as many here already declared, they coldn't care less about any awards or wards buzz. Ah well - each to their own. I don't see a reason, not to be proud.

Being nominated or not will not change anything but if it ends up being nominated and perhaps winning something, then great!
    Thanks for the info @bondtheory.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 96
    Sandy wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    bondtheory wrote:
    Hello everyone,

Being nominated or not will not change anything but if it ends up being nominated and perhaps winning something, then great!
    Thanks for the info @bondtheory.

Thank you @Germandlady and @Sandy!

Apparently, the team has nice ambitions and is asking the DGA, as well as other guilds/unions, to consider several categories, including Best Director, Best Picture, etc.