Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Well if it's in the name of fun...

LOCKED!

Got ya
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Maybe they'll do a 50 years of Bond tribute at the Oscars?

They did it at the 2012 BAFTAs already, so I think they would've done it this year if they were doing it at all.

Also, I think we should wait until the film comes out, but if I have to choose one then I could see Bardem maybe being nominated for supporting actor if he's good.
  • SaintMark wrote:
    Before we start celebrating shouldn't we wait for the finished product?

Agreed

Yes but I feel any acting nods will be limited to the Baftas and not the Oscars or Globes. That is somewhat predictable.
    Hey who knows, maybe H/Wood will lose it's snobbery on this.

Definitely a 'Best Cinematography' nod at one of the major awards. Every site is buzzing about the look of the trailer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Definitely a 'Best Cinematography' nod at one of the major awards. Every site is buzzing about the look of the trailer.

It does look mighty gorgeous, and some of the shots are absolutely brilliant, especially what we have seen of Shanghai. All those lights will be great on the big screen.
  • The only Bond film to get a best score nomination at the OSCARS was Marvin Hamlisch for THE SPY WHO LOVED ME. Not even the great John Barry was nominated for any of his Bond scores if you can belive that! The Academy do like Thomas Newman, so a best score nomination might happen. I would also say that the film will likely pick up a huge number of BAFTA awards - not only in the technical categories but I have a feeling maybe even in the bigger categories such as Best Picture, Director and maybe a few acting nods. The Oscars might give a Cinematography and Art Direction nomination to Roger Deakins and Dennis Gassner as they are well liked by Academy members.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Depends on the song...
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Since when do any great prizes get given for the trailer?

I am not holding my breath untill I have seen the finished product, QoS was somewhat of a dissapointment overal.

Fellow Agents,
    Probably "Best Car" as the DB5 is back and looks as magnificent as ever.
    Unfortunately, we may also win "Worst Suit" award if the trailer is typical of his tailoring. Whoever is responsible (Tom Ford?) looks like they've trussed poor Daniel up in some bland little Mad Menesque mod number! Why can't we get him down to Anderson & Sheppard or Dunhill and get him some proper kit!
    Regards,
    Bentley
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 5,745
    SaintMark wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Since when do any great prizes get given for the trailer?

I am not holding my breath untill I have seen the finished product, QoS was somewhat of a dissapointment overal.

Considering trailers are supposed to establish the mood and look of a film, its easy to base your judgements on how the film with feel and look.

I didn't say it looks to win Best Screenplay, but it looks pretty damn good cinematography-wise. Like unlike any Bond, or really any film we've seen yet.
    There's actually a very interesting article about the subject:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/movies/james-bond-50-skyfall-this-years-most-unlikely-oscar-bait-movie/story-e6frf9h6-1226487390589

So, there is Oscar-buzz going on for 'Skyfall', allthough I believe the song 'Skyfall' from Adele has got the biggest chance of getting an Oscar nod.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,445
    The highlights of QOS:

Production design won nothing
    Cinematopgrapher won nothing

From what we have seen both look like more on TMND or Twine and those also not get a price.

If Dench leave and she wil blow a way the haters too mabey she get kind of thanks award. Ben Whishaw wil he make a change a new Q/young actor ? or some stupid jury wil give Ralp Fienes a price because he is Ralp Fienes.

• KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    edited October 2012 Posts: 2,629
    As great as SF might turn out, the only possible nomination I could see it getting is for Adele's song. Bond films generally aren't under consideration by the Oscar elite.

Actually, I don't care if gets nominated or not. I'll take a good Bond film over an Oscar nomination any day.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Academy Award winning director Sam Mendes; Oscar winning and three-time nominee actor Javier Bardem; Oscar winning actress and six-time nominee Judi Dench: five-time Oscar nominee Albert Finney; two-time Oscar nominee Ralph Fiennes; three-time screenplay nominee John Logan; nine-time cinematography nominee Roger Deakins; 10-time nominee composer Thomas Newman; Oscar winning production designer and four-time nominee Dennis Glassner; and Oscar winner Chris Corbould.

5 Oscars,
    +
    42 nominations (not counting wins).
    =

Just sayin'.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Academy Award winning director Sam Mendes; Oscar winning and three-time nominee actor Javier Bardem; Oscar winning actress and six-time nominee Judi Dench: five-time Oscar nominee Albert Finney; two-time Oscar nominee Ralph Fiennes; three-time screenplay nominee John Logan; nine-time cinematography nominee Roger Deakins; 10-time nominee composer Thomas Newman; Oscar winning production designer and four-time nominee Dennis Glassner; and Oscar winner Chris Corbould.

5 Oscars,
    +
    42 nominations (not counting wins).
    =

Just sayin'.

At the end of the day it means nothing. I mean, it's great to brag about and put on DVD and Blu-rays to sell a film, but other than a statue it is pointless. Oscars are too political, and so many brilliant writers, directors, actors and filmmakers in general have been beaten out for top prize because Mr or Mrs. so and so didn't get a win for their last nomination so they are awarded an Oscar just to be fair (Al Pacino) or to break a decade long losing streak (Meryl Streep). If it is that unfair, why count the stupid things? The statue is just an object, while your own satisfaction in your performance is the important thing, and that is something you shouldn't only get from a golden statue.
  • I can definitely see it having a strong chance in these categories:

Best Art Direction
    Best Original Song
    Best Cinematography
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,310
    I can definitely see it having a strong chance in these categories:

Best Art Direction
    Best Original Song
    Best Cinematography
    You might be able to throw in Sound Editing & Sound Mixing in there. I'm fairly unconfident that Skyfall will win an Oscar, but it's best chances are the categories that The Bourne Ultimatum won in 2007 (sound editing, sound mixing, and editing).

Addendum: But I would be thrilled to see Skyfall win an Oscar!
  • SJK91 wrote:

Best Art Direction
    Best Original Song
    Best Cinematography
    You might be able to throw in Sound Editing & Sound Mixing in there. I'm fairly unconfident that Skyfall will win an Oscar, but it's best chances are the categories that The Bourne Ultimatum won in 2007 (sound editing, sound mixing, and editing).

I think Sound Mixing and Sound Editing will go to The Dark Knight Rises. Those guys are insanely talented. I'd be happy with either film getting them though.
  • EiragornEiragorn Hessia
    SJK91 wrote:

Best Art Direction
    Best Original Song
    Best Cinematography

I think Sound Mixing and Sound Editing will go to The Dark Knight Rises. Those guys are insanely talented. I'd be happy with either film getting them though.

I always thought the academy doesn't like to give people awards that got them for their last project. See Reznor and Ross for Dragon Tattoo. But I think we are not unrealistic to nt count out supporting actor categories. The academy likes to honor flamboyant actors in those categories like Bardem, Waltz, Kline, Bale, Clooney or Ledger. I vote for Dench as it seems to be her film and Bardem because he's always awesome. And haven't those Bourne sound guys walked over to Bond?
    Maybe we should start with Baftas. CR got 9 noms..only 2 wins though, I think.
    Germanlady wrote:
    I know Eva got the Rising Star (to Dan's shouts of happiness
    ;)) ), but what was the other one?
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I remember Craig getting nominated for a BAFTA for CR, but he didn't win.

Anyway, if you've read any of my posts on other threads chances are you know that I couldn't give one about SF winnning Oscars. I haven't been impressed with some of the recent Oscar choices and I'd rather they focused on making it a good enjoyable Bond film. And the Oscars haven't been kind to action films recently.

If SF will win any awards, I think it'll be for cinematography or the new song.

I've said my piece, and now, I leave. *drops smoke pellet and disappears*
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Germanlady wrote:
    I know Eva got the Rising Star (to Dan's shouts of happiness
    ;)) ), but what was the other one?

Best Sound
  • Interesting article here about the eligibilty of the title song at the Oscars....

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/3459/is-adele's-james-bond-song-'skyfall'-eligible-for-oscars.html
    Interesting article here about the eligibilty of the title song at the Oscars....

http://www.goldderby.com/films/news/3459/is-adele's-james-bond-song-'skyfall'-eligible-for-oscars.html

Not sure about the strictness of these Academy rules. Listen to 'Goldfinger' and 'GoldenEye' and you will hear Monty Norman's motif as well. And as far as I know, 'Goldfinger' and 'GoldenEye' were not ruled out as being 'unoriginal'. They simply were not chosen as a nominee.

• Its more to do with the rule about using "previously published music" in a new piece of music. The rules for certain categories change quite often at the Academy Awards. I think it was only last year that Madonna lost out on a potential best song nomination for her film W.E because the song failed to start within a certain timeframe after the beginning of the end credits. It was as a result deemed ineligible......
  • Most of the reviews are praising Roger Deakins' cinematography. I would be very surprised if he didn't receive an Oscar nomination and quite possibly Dennis Gassners stunning art direction. We can't rule out the possibility of acting nominations in the supporting categories - maybe Dench or Bardem. Franchise films and particularly action films rarely get nominated in the Best Picture category at the Oscars. But with the introduction of the possibilty of up to 10 Best Film nominations we can't really rule that one out either. Recent examples include Inception and District 9 receiving Best Picture nominations...
    So, with all these reviews coming through, what's our Oscar predictions for Skyfall?
    robboadam wrote:
    So, with all these reviews coming through, what's our Oscar predictions for Skyfall?

Skyfall won't get anything big, not this year with the way other films have been doing/others will later on. Bond won't have priority over things like The Master, which was Oscar bait from the start.
  • Maybe best to see the film before suggesting award categories.