Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited December 2012 Posts: 11,119
    So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

Adele for the song and perhaps Deakins an outside bet and that really is your lot.

Seems like business as usual for Bond at the Oscars.

That's sheer utter nonsense. I shall be frank. Business as usual at the Oscars for Bond meant 'NO Oscar nomination at all'. Until 'Skyfall'!

I always said to myself, with only ONE Oscar nomination, 'Skyfall' finally breaks a curse that started after 'For Your Eyes Only' (1981). It means the first Oscar nomination ever since then.

You can keep comparing with other franchise films at the Oscars ('The Dark Knight', 'Bourne'). But the fact is that this is the first Bond film since 1964/1965 that gets at least some worthy nominations in the awards season.

Also, in my opinion a 'Best Cinematography' Oscar wins from the 'Best Sound' and 'Best Visual Effects' categories. Just one 'Best Supporting Actor' nomination makes 'Skyfall' instantly the most critically acclaimed Bond film ever among award jurors. Period. Even topping 'Goldfinger' and 'Thunderball'.

Please guys.....realise that .

/:)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Javier gets a SAG nod, but not Dan? Bollocks.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2012 Posts: 9,117
    So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

Adele for the song and perhaps Deakins an outside bet and that really is your lot.

That's sheer utter nonsense. I shall be frank. Business as usual at the Oscars for Bond meant 'NO Oscar nomination at all'. Until 'Skyfall'!

I always said to myself, with only ONE Oscar nomination, 'Skyfall' finally breaks a curse that started after 'For Your Eyes Only' (1981). It means the first Oscar nomination ever since then.

You can keep comparing with other franchise films at the Oscars ('The Dark Knight', 'Bourne'). But the fact is that this is the first Bond film since 1964/1965 that gets at least some worthy nominations in the awards season.

Also, in my opinion a 'Best Cinematography' Oscar wins from the 'Best Sound' and 'Best Visual Effects' categories. Just one 'Best Supporting Actor' nomination makes 'Skyfall' instantly the most critically acclaimed Bond film ever among award jurors. Period. Even topping 'Goldfinger' and 'Thunderball'.

I meant not a sniff in the main categories.

We've had song nominations before but the song is fairly incidental to the overall quality of the film. DAD could have easily had a song nomination had the song been any good but winning for song I think merely reflects on the artist and not the filmmakers.
    Babs and MGW would certainly prefer half a dozen nominations for screenplay, director, picture etc and no wins than Adele being the solitary nom and picking up the Oscar.
  • So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

I'm sorry, but there is no way Skyfall is winning Best Visual Effects over Life of Pi or The Hobbit.

Like I said, a weird over the top character is recognized easier then a subtle, laid back performance. If I think of the many little gestures, mimical layers, body language he brought even to Bond, its a shame.
  • So much for SF storming the Oscars! I dont think a film suddenly goes from 1 Golden Globe nomination to picking up half a dozen Academy Award nominations.

I'm sorry, but there is no way Skyfall is winning Best Visual Effects over Life of Pi or The Hobbit.

Did I say that? No. I compared the current categories with the categories that 'Thunderball' and 'Goldfinger' won an Oscar for.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:

Like I said, a weird over the top character is recognized easier then a subtle, laid back performance. If I think of the many little gestures, mimical layers, body language he brought even to Bond, its a shame.
    The over the top performance is easier. The more quiet performance that leads by action over words at times demands the most talent as an actor to keep the audience invested in the character. Dan is the most talented actor I have seen in the role, and it is just a shame that he isn't getting the recognition he deserves for his top notch work in some of the franchises most demanding moments in Skyfall.
    Germanlady wrote:

The over the top performance is easier. The more quiet performance that leads by action over words at times demands the most talent as an actor to keep the audience invested in the character. Dan is the most talented actor I have seen in the role, and it is just a shame that he isn't getting the recognition he deserves for his top notch work in some of the franchises most demanding moments in Skyfall.

The Baftas will do that - the best we can hope for.
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:

The Baftas will do that - the best we can hope for.

I blame my stupid countrymen. Deep inside me there is a great desire to be British.
    Well - he isn't exactly the british press`darling, because he shows them his middle finger way too often, but right now, the Brits have a love affair with Bond AND with him, so there is good hope, he might even get to win this thing, after not for CR.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Great news, this. One Oscar nomination would be all we need now. It would be so good to break the 'curse' after so many years.
  • Dan is the most talented actor I have seen in the role

Ahem.
    TimothyDalton.jpg

I think both did a good job but Bardems performance was more OTT and memorable, so it'll make a bigger lasting impression.
    I think both did a good job but Bardems performance was more OTT and memorable, so it'll make a bigger lasting impression.
    Javier didn't make me bawl like a baby. He was okay, but at the end of the day Dan made the film, carried it along with Judi Dench til the end.
    Javier didn't make me bawl like a baby. He was okay, but at the end of the day Dan made the film, carried it along with Judi Dench til the end.

Very true but also, what royale said and I also - those crazy over the top characters just LOOK like there are more difficult to act, even though they are totally not. But - those voting should know THAT.
    Germanlady wrote:

Very true but also, what royale said and I also - those crazy over the top characters just LOOK like there are more difficult to act, even though they are totally not. But - those voting should know THAT.

I fear I am forgetting one of my biggest rules with my over idealistic wishes for Skyfall:

Brady Rule/ Section 4/ #76: The Academy doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. They can be bought and paid for, succumbing to votes for an actor or actress only so that they can break their losing streak (regardless of whether they deserve it as performance of the year in their respective category).

SLAP SLAP

I won't let such thoughts befall me again.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Well, if Craig, Bardem, harris and Marlohe would have been singing and SKYFALL a musical, they would be candidates, but the main awards will go to LINCOLN and LES MIS...
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And I would not mind if SF gets snubbed at the Oscars, I'd rather have the great thriller SF is, than having a movie eager to please the Academy...
  • I think both did a good job but Bardems performance was more OTT and memorable, so it'll make a bigger lasting impression.

It's the same thing with 'The Dark Knight' in certain way. Who was more memorable to you? Heath Ledger as 'The Joker'? Or Christian Bale as 'Bruce Wayne/Batman'?

Listen.......villains have always been slightly more popular in cinema history. They are delightful to play. And especially human beings have some darker natural treats as well. Bringing that into practice as a villain is everyone's wet dream no? If I had to choose, playing Bond or Silva...I would most certainly chose the latter.
  • By the way.....I think lately many Bond fans sound like spoiled little twats. Serious......this is the first time James Bond is seriously considered as a nomination in whatever Oscar category since 1981....and STILL we complain and say "damn you Oscars". Really a shame if you ask me :( .
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Greatly deserved. I'd be also glad if a Bond film could get any Oscar ! It already had to be awarded. IMOO.

It's the same thing with 'The Dark Knight' in certain way. Who was more memorable to you? Heath Ledger as 'The Joker'? Or Christian Bale as 'Bruce Wayne/Batman'?

Listen.......villains have always been slightly more popular in cinema history. They are delightful to play. And especially human beings have some darker natural treats as well. Bringing that into practice as a villain is everyone's wet dream no? If I had to choose, playing Bond or Silva...I would most certainly chose the latter.

Really? I'd always go for Bond. I like the hero of the story, rising up against a seemingly insuperable force, ultimately surviving after giving it his or her all to be victorious. I just think humans have a natural love for violence (bordering on obsession) and the villain who commits the worst violence is then more appealing. Then you have certain heroes that kill more than villains, so their are exceptions. ;)
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    #Skyfall is on the run... 3 nominations in the Chicago Film Critics' Association: editing, cinematography and... Judi Dench.

Anne Hathaway will win, so it´s really difficult to get just there for Dame Judi Dench. Congratulations.
  • Jep, we will this see much more often: 1 to 4 nominations for a particular important award for 'Skyfall' :>
  • RC7RC7
    By the way.....I think lately many Bond fans sound like spoiled little twats. Serious......this is the first time James Bond is seriously considered as a nomination in whatever Oscar category since 1981....and STILL we complain and say "damn you Oscars". Really a shame if you ask me :( .

I just don't think people are that fussed. Bond has never been about Oscars for me. In fact if a Bond film were to ever win best picture I'd assume the jury were clinically insane or more likely, that the film wasn't really what you'd call a Bond film. So Adele gets a nod, that's great, but if I remember rightly a group called Hustle and Flow won with a song called something like 'It's hard out there being a pimp' - hardly esteemed company. Anyhow like I say, really not bothered what it wins. If it wins some awards then great, if it doesn't I won't lose sleep. It won't affect the way I see the film or the series.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 6,601
    Jep, we will this see much more often: 1 to 4 nominations for a particular important award for 'Skyfall' :>

The more award nods, the better the BO. because it stays longer in the news, plus its always rewarding to get the recognition of your peers - for all involved and it bothers me, that films with lesser reviews and audience ratings are praised as great art and get nods. I am really looking forward to see, what Bafta will do. But they only announce in January, from what I know.

BTW RC7 - just because it doesn't hold any interest for YOU, it doesn't mean everybody else shouldn't either be interested. A film is a film and if it is good (as seen by most obviously) it should be recognized, never mind if its a Bond film or whatever.
    Its totally ok, if some don't care. but don't make it sound, as if people are insane, when they do. Just fair, no?
  • RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    Jep, we will this see much more often: 1 to 4 nominations for a particular important award for 'Skyfall' :>

The more award nods, the better the BO. because it stays longer in the news, plus its always rewarding to get the recognition of your peers - for all involved and it bothers me, that films with lesser reviews and audience ratings are praised as great art and get nods. I am really looking forward to see, what Bafta will do. But they only announce in January, from what I know.

That's the Oscars all over though. Films like Les Mis are created purely for Oscar. Whether it got good, middling or bad reviews it would always get a nod at the Oscars. It's sad but they have their criteria and it's hard to upset the system. I don't think Skyfall can get much better word of mouth than it already has, even with an award.
    Agreed, but that's why its nice to once in a while see them regognizing outside of the box, which they do every so often. And once its started, it opens a whole new chance for other films, whatever they might be then. The times change and so should they.
  • Javier barden wins best supporting actor for satellite award tonight

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/silver-linings-playbook-wins-satellite-403098
    Javier barden wins best supporting actor for satellite award tonight

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/race/silver-linings-playbook-wins-satellite-403098

That's great. =D>

Shouldn't the title of the thread be Skyfall nominations/awards or something like that?