Robocop (reboot, classics, games, comics)

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    obin_gam wrote:
    Because its a different interpretation of the same character. Thats what remakes should do. Not copy the original, but take a concept and make something own out of it.

No, they're to take the concept and do what couldn't be done in the past, or recreate the beauty of what had been done in the past. They are not to take the concept, throw away 99% of it, slap the title on it for brand recognition, and make money off of a name they haven't lived up to. If the majority of what you're making is original, why not make all of it original?
    They are not to take the concept, throw away 99% of it, slap the title on it for brand recognition, and make money off of a name they haven't lived up to.

They are not throwing away 99% of it. They are choosing to focus on different parts of the character, making the film its ow so it doesn't have to stand in the shadow completely like some remakes are. Both this one and the original is about a cop named Alex Murphy in Detroit who gets shot to death and later becomes the property of "an evil company" which uses his body to make a new kind of law enforcement project, which is a cyborg.

After that is where the changes happen:
    In the original we go straight to when he's a fully functional law enforcement robotic entity that works perfectly and we get too see his road back to humanity.
    In this remake they are elaborating on the time period from when he gets shot to when he becomes the fully functional law enforcement robot. Ie. it's sort of a complete turnaround from the original as we get to see him loosing his humanity instead of gaining it back.

And I honestly don't see why people (not just here but on other forums as well) have a problem with that. So what if they give him a human hand for PR. It's part of the satire of the modern times, that companies will want to keep the relationship to their clients or the masses at any cost, even if it would be to make a killing machine seem pleasant. The original lived because of it's satire of the times when it was made, why is it so hard to see that this one will satire modern times? Same with the fact that he will
    come in different versions in this one, like Apple and their quadrillion versions of the iphone.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    You have failed to explain to me how a single human hand will, in anyway, make us feel sympathy for someone who's a cyborg. I'm sorry, but it doesn't work. Not from a practical point of view, or a satirical point of view. "Oh, you just pull the intestines out of that homeless mugger, but I see that your hand is normal flesh, so that makes me feel sorry for your predicament." Do you not see how this doesn't work?
    I havent read the script, just been told parts of it, so I dont know the exact motivation the movie will go with, but an educated guess would be that it makes the illusion that it is just a person with a lot of armor on. Or something like, during the public presentation "Here is Robocop! He may be a robot, but see *shows the hand* he's also human, just like you! So welcome him to patrolling your neighbourhood today! Best wishes, OmniCorp."
    obin_gam wrote:
    "Here is Robocop! He may be a robot, but see *shows the hand* he's also human, just like you! So welcome him to patrolling your neighbourhood today! Best wishes, OmniCorp."

Really? This is their position? *Epic Facepalm*
    What else would it be? I find that quite funny actually and it would fit that a corporation would do that.
    obin_gam wrote:
    What else would it be? I find that quite funny actually and it would fit that a corporation would do that.

Only MicroShaft would do this, and they're hardly the model on which anyone should base their fictional company.
  • oo7oo7
    Robocop_new-suit-pic_large.jpg
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    No.... [-X
    GmSaQ.png

That f*cking hand is still real, that's a problem!
  • Yeah but at least this looks like RoboCop, and not Bale-Batman....

But I admit I'm still wondering what they were smoking with the whole 'exposed hand' business....
    My only hope is this: I've read that this movie will focus much more on the transition from man to machine than the original movie, so perhaps they still intend to use the 'I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis' gag and lose the arm.
    Yeah but at least this looks like RoboCop, and not Bale-Batman....

But I admit I'm still wondering what they were smoking with the whole 'exposed hand' business....
    My only hope is this: I've read that this movie will focus much more on the transition from man to machine than the original movie, so perhaps they still intend to use the 'I thought we agreed on total body prosthesis' gag and lose the arm.

Maybe... I just... If I see some robot-lookin' thing with a human hand, I'm not gonna suddenly empathize with them, as @obin_gam seems to think people will.
  • oo7oo7
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmBNwOSs8xc?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmBNwOSs8xc?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    New video regarding RoboCop remake:
    http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=26700

"There's Call of Duty style shootouts with an army of [ED-209s]."

Oh great. Just what I wanted.
    edited November 2012 Posts: 7,854
    SJK91 wrote:

Spoiler tagged for language:
    MOTHERFUCKER!
  • oo7oo7
    oo7 wrote:
    <object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmBNwOSs8xc?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QmBNwOSs8xc?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

• I signed up just to post here. Everyone seems to be addressing the hand from an Omnicorp publicity point of view... it makes no sense from a purely technical/physical point of view. Given how tough the rest of him is meant to be, and the level of crime/violence he will experience, how long is a bare human hand going to last anyway? I always thought it was pretty stupid making an impregnable cyborg with a bare mouth to begin with, but nowhere near as stupid as a bare hand. It's such a weakpoint, one well placed grenade/petrol-bomb/shotgun blast/smack with a hammer and suddenly he's one-handed. So stupid.

Plus it just looks utterly crap. Clearly, 99% of people know it but the idiots who came up with the idea.
    I'd buy that for a dollar!
  • So I was looking at on-set photos for this potential train wreck of a movie, and came across Michael Keaton hanging out waiting to film. Having watched the awesome animated Dark Knight Returns movies, the thought occurred to me:
    how AWESOME would it have been if Keaton did Batman's voice??? Not that Weller wasn't great, mind you-- but it seems like it would have made much more sense if Keaton came back for Batman, and Weller had a small role in RoboCop. Anyone agree?
    SteveM wrote:
    I signed up just to post here. Everyone seems to be addressing the hand from an Omnicorp publicity point of view... it makes no sense from a purely technical/physical point of view. Given how tough the rest of him is meant to be, and the level of crime/violence he will experience, how long is a bare human hand going to last anyway? I always thought it was pretty stupid making an impregnable cyborg with a bare mouth to begin with, but nowhere near as stupid as a bare hand. It's such a weakpoint, one well placed grenade/petrol-bomb/shotgun blast/smack with a hammer and suddenly he's one-handed. So stupid.

Plus it just looks utterly crap. Clearly, 99% of people know it but the idiots who came up with the idea.

I think I've been making this point the whole time.
    So I was looking at on-set photos for this potential train wreck of a movie, and came across Michael Keaton hanging out waiting to film. Having watched the awesome animated Dark Knight Returns movies, the thought occurred to me:
    how AWESOME would it have been if Keaton did Batman's voice??? Not that Weller wasn't great, mind you-- but it seems like it would have made much more sense if Keaton came back for Batman, and Weller had a small role in RoboCop. Anyone agree?

I still have yet to see the movie, so I'd have to actually see how Weller does to determine whether or not I'd have rather heard a different voice. I wish I had heard a different voice in Batman: Year One, that's for sure. Whoever played Bruce in that film was crap (Gordon was good, though).
  • edited January 2013 Posts: 4,813
    I still have yet to see the movie, so I'd have to actually see how Weller does to determine whether or not I'd have rather heard a different voice. I wish I had heard a different voice in Batman: Year One, that's for sure. Whoever played Bruce in that film was crap (Gordon was good, though).
    Oh Weller definitely rocked it-- but I was just saying, having Keaton back would have been the stuff of legends!
    Bump with a funny (and true) pic

chive-dar-42.jpg?w=500&h=1092
    Looks like crap. The hand just makes it worse. :-q
    Bump with a funny (and true) pic

chive-dar-42.jpg?w=500&h=1092

Let's not forget how badly he jacked up the gas prices, all because one frigging gas station blew up!
    Robocop was a magnificent one-off. In my own way, I enjoyed 2 & 3, and even moments of the ill-conceived series. The mini-series was downright terrible, but in fact, nothing after the first movie had the bite & raw energy the first one had. If this new one is even half as good as Robocop 3 I'd be surprised. I predict it to be the next Catwoman! :))
    chrisisall wrote:
    I predict it to be the next Catwoman! :))

You have that little faith in the film?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Moving from a September to February release is never a good sign.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Have you seen the pictures?
    The answer is yes. Sadly.
    Catwoman at worst, I Am Legend at best. Neither good.

chrisisall wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:
    Have you seen the pictures?
    The answer is yes. Sadly.
    Catwoman at worst, I Am Legend at best. Neither good.

I Am Legend was decent, I just don't think they needed to make the Hemocytes CGI creatures, since their goal (in the far superior alternate ending) was to make them sympathetic.

And yes, I have seen the pictures. A 30 foot tall ED209 and a human hand on an otherwise completely covered RoboCop do indeed piss me off, but we've seen no footage from the film itself. Let's wait and see what we get before we go saying it's as bad as Halle Berry in a catsuit.