Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah on these things at work and in personal life, it's good to consider the source. Most all folks involved aren't worth spending the time on.

Being civil is a plus, but we don't have to live with them. They have to. And honestly, we all have reasons we are the way we are, hopefully for better and not worse.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited July 2022 Posts: 45,489
    Everyone is a work in progress.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah. There is also Devolution.
    650b8e2c177ce33dd561dffa6d0e2677-6.png
    Thank you for the nice words all. I just have very little hope and faith in some people. This stranger, though I only (thankfully) knew them for a few seconds, reminded me so much of my sociopathic father. What they do is set traps and do anything they can to make you feel bad about yourself, and even when the logic is obvious and you know you’re not the one in the wrong, the second guessing still goes on in your brain because they’re master manipulators. There are scary people out there like that the live among us who can mimic emotions and fool people into thinking they have a heart. But they’re in fact 100% slanted in a negative direction (anger, jealousy, bitterness) and will do whatever it takes to drag everyone around them down with them.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited August 2022 Posts: 7,948
    Everyone is a work in progress.
    sadly, some progress is hardly visible
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Thank you for the nice words all. I just have very little hope and faith in some people. This stranger, though I only (thankfully) knew them for a few seconds, reminded me so much of my sociopathic father. What they do is set traps and do anything they can to make you feel bad about yourself, and even when the logic is obvious and you know you’re not the one in the wrong, the second guessing still goes on in your brain because they’re master manipulators. There are scary people out there like that the live among us who can mimic emotions and fool people into thinking they have a heart. But they’re in fact 100% slanted in a negative direction (anger, jealousy, bitterness) and will do whatever it takes to drag everyone around them down with them.

There are far more mentally ill people out there than we should be comfortable with. I've had similar experiences and I understand your mental reflex, but as I said, their behaviour refers to them, not you. Especially when you've got a master manipulator close by (father, mother, brother, sister) it's extremely hard to mentally do a step back and see what's actually going on. So you tend to adapt and live with it. But that adaptation can go and work against you as well. I'm sorry I might be a bit vague here, but stepping out mentally, taking the distance and see what's really going on has helped me a lot personally. I'd definately recommend giving it a try.
    Last night I was reading in bed, about to fall asleep, when I heard a droning whine. "Sounds almost like a mosquito," I thought, before turning my head and seeing it was a mosquito. I leaped out of bed and tried smacking the retreating bloodsucker with my slippers, but it flew out of sight. It was late and I needed to be at work the next day, so I turned off the light and settled between the sheets, despite knowing the mosquito was lying in wait, ready to pounce.

I pulled the covers over my head and tried counting sheep, doing breathing exercises, everything I could think of to relax. Still no luck. Then I became too warm and had to uncover my arms and head. Now exposed, I dreaded hearing the inevitable whine near my ear. Hours dragged on as I continually crept up to the border of sleep, only to awaken and look at my watch.

After four hours of half-sleep at best I turned on the light to read. Then I heard whining in my ear. When I turned around the mosquito had already disappeared. After a half hour of reading I settled down for more half-sleep, after re-setting my alarm and emailing my boss to let him know I'd be late. This time I slept, but only in aggravatingly short segments.

I woke up a half hour before my alarm went off and got dressed, wondering how many times I'd been bitten by the rapacious bloodsucking pest who'd terrorized me through the night. Answer: not even once.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I agree. Used to be decades ago that I was regularly bitten by mosquitoes, but for ages my main gripe has been their whining sound around my head so I hear it. My wife claims she still gets bitten by mosquitoes, but also by the fleas that our cats bring in. I can't remember a single case in almost 40 years of cat ownership in which I had a noticeable flea bite.
    @Revelator, I suppose it was a male mosquito.
    Apparently the female mosquito has a much higher whine than the male, so I believe it was a lady who molested me last night. I have been irresistible to the ladies since childhood, when they used to bite me on the eyelids and any other exposed parts.

Female mosquitos are attracted by heat and carbon dioxide, so they fly around people's exhaling faces, whereas males are interested in nectar and plants.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    I'm of the age where, if I started to moan about things, I'd consume all the site's bandwidth.

There used to be a TV show called 'grumpy old men'. I'd have been perfect for it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    stag wrote: »
    I'm of the age where, if I started to moan about things, I'd consume all the site's bandwidth.

There used to be a TV show called 'grumpy old men'. I'd have been perfect for it.

You are 30 then? ;-)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    DarthDimi wrote: »

You are 30 then? ;-)

That's where it begins certainly. :)
    I know for a fact that I turned grumpy at the age of 14.
    I know for a fact that I turned grumpy at the age of 14.

I've been a malcontent for quite some time leading to some calling me "Mr Doom and Gloom" and "The Old Man". :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,898
    I'm such a Northern misanthrope that my nickname in one job was 'Black Cloud'! They stopped using it in the end, though, because I liked it too much... :D
    Venutius wrote: »
    I'm such a damn misanthrope that my nickname in one job was 'Black Cloud'! They stopped using it in the end because I liked it too much... :D

The washing lady at my workplace is a real sourpuss, but we call her The Sun.
    Okay, I know this shouldn't surprise me anymore, but can I just say that I hate false marketing. The following film,

hG4pmkkTIbCOiNbeZGsSpJqbXMg.jpg

Jules Verne's MYSTERY ON MONSTER ISLAND (1981)

has nothing to do with Jules Verne; Peter Cushing is in it for about 2 minutes, and Stamp for about 2.5 minutes. The names are placed over the wrong faces; in fact, the two actors on the left are the lead cast and they suck, especially the "nutty professor" type with the insulting mustache.

I don't mind bad films, but there's bad and there's bad. This is a film so bad it's not even good in that laugh-out-loud kind of way; it's annoyingly insulting. But worst of all, its false advertising is what gets on my nerves.
    My complaint is debt collectors who repeatedly call to collect a debt that's not mine, because someone randomly gave my phone number when purchasing whatever. No one to talk to, just a damned voice recording.

Okay, I know this shouldn't surprise me anymore, but can I just say that I hate false marketing. The following film,

hG4pmkkTIbCOiNbeZGsSpJqbXMg.jpg

Jules Verne's MYSTERY ON MONSTER ISLAND (1981)

has nothing to do with Jules Verne; Peter Cushing is in it for about 2 minutes, and Stamp for about 2.5 minutes. The names are placed over the wrong faces; in fact, the two actors on the left are the lead cast and they suck, especially the "nutty professor" type with the insulting mustache.

I don't mind bad films, but there's bad and there's bad. This is a film so bad it's not even good in that laugh-out-loud kind of way; it's annoyingly insulting. But worst of all, its false advertising is what gets on my nerves.
    This reminds me of "Stephen King's The Lawnmower Man".

the "nutty professor" type with the insulting mustache.
    vi036-omega-de-ville-tresor-valdo-david-dencik-636.jpg?itok=DovwKqGU
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 5,774
    Weeeeell... That movie is indeed an adaptation of a Jules Verne's novel. Not one of his most famous ones, granted. Its original title is L'École des Robinsons, and it's known in the english-speaking word as Godfrey Morgan: A Californian Mystery. And most of everything in the movie (including the final twist) comes from the novel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godfrey_Morgan

Jules Verne has written (or in some cases rewritten) more novels that people think.

My turn : Recently, I got two pairs of trousers from my work (pieces of uniform, you see). Tried one of them this morning and... despite the fact that I haven't taken weight since the last one, I couldn't close the new ones. I measured it this evening againts the former ones (which still suit me), and discovered that the belt was some 2 to 3 centimeters shorter on the new one, and that the button is further from the end of the belt than on the old ones. Damn !
    mattjoes wrote: »
    My complaint is debt collectors who repeatedly call to collect a debt that's not mine, because someone randomly gave my phone number when purchasing whatever. No one to talk to, just a damned voice recording.

That reminds me of this video:

• stagstag In the thick of it!
    The one thing about 'grumpiness' is the older you get the more intense it becomes as you will all find out in due course.

And it operates on a hair trigger.
    The one thing about 'grumpiness' is the older you get the more intense it becomes as you will all find out in due course.

And it operates on a hair trigger.

So it's all downhill from here? I suspected so, but it's nice to have it confirmed.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    You people are engaging in ageism. Says I at the age of 65. My grumpiness is still rather contained, but just you wait and see if you continue like this. You'll receive your true share of your transgression.

Just kidding, by the way.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I would like to do something like that.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I would like to do something like that.

Actor Robin Popper who plays Robin Cooper and Baal has some great in-character prank call videos on YouTube. Well worth checking out if you like that sort of thing.
    I can't use my Blu-Ray player anymore. Don't know if it's the remote (although, given that the part that deals with the TV still functions, and I have the same lack of results on a universal remote, that might not be the case) or the player itself. But that means I will have to send both player and remote to the shop, or buy a new one, which right now is not really within my budget (quite a few expanses to make in the next months, and not enough money coming my way). Thankfully, I have kept my old DVD player, and it still works. But I won't be able to watch Blu-Ray discs anythime soon.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I can't use my Blu-Ray player anymore. Don't know if it's the remote (although, given that the part that deals with the TV still functions, and I have the same lack of results on a universal remote, that might not be the case) or the player itself. But that means I will have to send both player and remote to the shop, or buy a new one, which right now is not really within my budget (quite a few expanses to make in the next months, and not enough money coming my way). Thankfully, I have kept my old DVD player, and it still works. But I won't be able to watch Blu-Ray discs anythime soon.

I know how you feel, man. When technology gives up on me, I can get really frustrated. Good luck finding a replacement soon.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Technology making our lives easier! ;)

I’m trying to log in to a bank website for work (accountant) and it very arbitrarily decides when I can and can’t log in, very frustrating… luckily many of us are lovely people… but not feeling that way right now!
    Technology is bullsh*t.
    I'm gonna say here I just hope Salman Rushdie pulls through.