The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I have faith in Fede Alvarez. That is the only reason I am somewhat interested.
    +1
    I like what he did with Don't Breathe. And I don't mind them pulling a Halloween 2018 with this uneven series. I still think the 1974 film and both Platinum Dunes entries are the best. I have a soft spot for TCM3, though.

His Evil Dead remake was so incredible to me. I try to revisit it every year, year and a half. As has been stated, he's the only reason I'm at all hopeful for this one to be good.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Fede Alvarez did a sterling job reimagining Evil Dead. I really didn't think Evil Dead could work, either without Bruce Campbell or in the age of CGI, and Alvarez proved me wrong on both counts.

Absolutely correct. It's a genuinely frightening film with a stellar score and a powerful premise. Fede gives me hopes.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Fede Alvarez did a sterling job reimagining Evil Dead. I really didn't think Evil Dead could work, either without Bruce Campbell or in the age of CGI, and Alvarez proved me wrong on both counts.

Absolutely correct. It's a genuinely frightening film with a stellar score and a powerful premise. Fede gives me hopes.

What I like best about him is his devotion to practical effects.

Which will no doubt be a good thing for a TCM film. That said, Fede won't direct. All will depend on how hands-on a writer-producer he'll be.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    After the last two, my expectations very low.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Which will no doubt be a good thing for a TCM film. That said, Fede won't direct. All will depend on how hands-on a writer-producer he'll be.

I see. Hopefully his sensibilities guide things in the right direction.

I see. Hopefully his sensibilities guide things in the right direction.

Otherwise, I'm pulling out my chainsaw, Necronomicon and awesome chin! Wait... no, that's another series. ;-)

Seriously, though, this is how I rank the TCM films:

THE GOOD
    TCM'74
    TCM'03
    TCM The Beginning

THE OKAY
    TCM 3
    TCM TNG

THE BAD
    TCM 2
    TCM 3D
    Leatherface
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That’s a sound ranking, @DarthDimi. Though I would remove the bad category, leaving only good and ugly.

The Good
    TCM ‘74
    Leatherface: TCM3
    TCM: The Beginning
    TCM ‘03

The Ugly
    TC 3D
    TCM2
    Leatherface ‘17
    TCM: The Next Generation
    That’s a sound ranking, @DarthDimi. Though I would remove the bad category, leaving only good and ugly.

The Good
    TCM ‘74
    Leatherface: TCM3
    TCM: The Beginning
    TCM ‘03

The Ugly
    TC 3D
    TCM2
    Leatherface ‘17
    TCM: The Next Generation

I can't disagree. TNG is an awkward one for me. On the one hand, that film is utterly deranged. On the other hand, Matthew McConaughey is an absolute delight. '3D' is just a stupid, formulaic teen bait flick, lacking in brutality and madness. And I just don't get what Hooper was trying to do with TCM2. Happy to see Mosely and Hopper, but nothing in this movie keeps me interested. Yeah, and then there's Leatherface '17. I predict this new film, just TCM, can't be worse than that one.
    I thought 3D would have been ok, were it not for some cheesy dialogue and one enormous casting gaffe with Alexandra Daddario as a 40 yr old!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited December 2021 Posts: 5,869

Bring it on!!!
  • Denbigh wrote: »

Can't wait!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Reviews for Scream are really positive. Can't wait for next week.
    Reviews for Scream are really positive. Can't wait for next week.

Awesome. I have tickets with my brother booked for Thursday Night. Going to try to avoid spoilers like the plague for this one.
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 12,258
    My Scream franchise thoughts after marathoning the films and watching the newest, copied from Last Movie I Watched thread:

The Scream Franchise. In preparation for the newest release in this series, I watched all the first four films, and then the fifth and latest tonight.

Scream (1996) - The original and still the best by a country mile. All the characters, story, originality, comedy, and kills are so on-point. Everything just worked so well here. Easily one of my all-time favorite horror movies and films in general. 10/10
    Scream 2 (1997) - A perfectly decent sequel. I didn't like the decision to
    kill Randy at all
    , but it is what it is. Most of it is good and fun and feels right. 7.5/10
    Scream 3 (2000) - The worst one, and a classic example of threequel curse. Several bad decisions here:
    killing Cotton immediately and not doing anything interesting with him, Sidney's mommy issues, all the BS with Roman and his responsibility for past events
    . This film suffered huge Spectre syndrome, or should I say Spectre suffered big Scream 3 syndrome? That being said, the characters and lines are still awesome, so it's not a total loss despite being so lacking in story. 5/10
    Scream 4 (2011) - Craven's final film and my favorite of the sequels. I loved that it was a standalone experience after 3's stuff, and the villain was definitely the most interesting in the series after the first movie. While not incredible or stunning, it does almost everything right and doesn't make any of the missteps that bothered me in the other sequels. 8/10
    Scream (2022) - The latest, and... not greatest. The film is decent and competently made, but full of wasted potential and things that just irked me.
    Sidney doesn't get near enough screen time, Dewey's arc/death do not feel complete or done well enough, the villains / motivation are not that great,
    and most importantly it's just severely lacking in creativity and originality. While not bad, the film just lacks the spice of the others, and it seems to me if this is the kind of films we'd be getting from now on, there's nowhere to go left with this franchise - at least not with the OG material. I think it's time to let it rest. This is The Force Awakens of the franchise: competent, good characters, and some cool bits, but just way too much retreading and nothing that truly blew me away like I was hoping for. 7/10

Ranking:
    1. Scream (1996)
    2. Scream 4 (2011)
    3. Scream 2 (1997)
    4. Scream (2022)
    5. Scream 3 (2000)
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 6,844
    I pretty much concur with your ranking, @FoxRox. I still enjoy Scream 3 quite a bit though and consider the sequels all pretty close in quality. Unfortunate to hear Scream 5—or, well, Scream?—isn't the greatest. I was concerned it wouldn't be able to recapture the magic of the originals without Craven and Williamson.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I'm looking forward to read some more ratings for the new Scream movie. Several reviews online are pretty good.
    @Some_Kind_Of_Hero @goldenswissroyale If you are easily satisfied with more of the same and aren’t expecting any particularly different or exceptional elements, you’ll have a good enough time with it. The film isn’t bad, but I do view it as a bit disappointing and wasted potential. There is a certain magic missing without Craven, though I will say they still did a pretty good job capturing the spirit and feel - as well as can be expected in that department. It has its comedic moments, but as the trailers indicated, more serious in tone overall than the first four.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I'm seeing Scream tonight :)
    I personally rank the franchise in release order. I was really disappointed by Scream 4, and Scream 3 is a guilty pleasure. Scream 2 was a good enough sequel. Overall all the sequels (so far, we'll see tonight) could have been better, and nothing can match the true perfection of the original. It's perfect.
  • From what I’m hearing, this new one is the best (by far!)
    We’ll see if it’s just hype, but I’m excited!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Really enjoyed Scream. Saw it on Friday :)

In terms of rating:

Scream (1996) - perfect
    Scream 2 (1997) - a good sequel
    Scream (2022) - the best sequel since
    Scream 3 (2000) - guilty pleasure
    Scream 4 (2011) - enjoy it but was super disappointed
    Last year, a neat little British horror flick called CENSOR was released. Did anyone see it? I must admit that I like the film very much. It has good atmosphere and a deeply psychological narrative. It takes place during the Video Nasty era, one of Britain's more shameful phases from recent past. I like to think of the film as a modern take on Videodrome's concept, albeit from a slightly different angle.

In terms of rating:

Scream (1996) - perfect

I wasn't a big fan of it. It's way, way too meta (even more so than Scream 4, which is shocking to say), it relies way too heavily on the original (even imitating shot-by-shot moments in an inferior fashion), and the original cast was all but wasted here. Then again, I'm overly critical about horror films these days, but I did have some optimism for this one. Just missed the mark and didn't impress me or feel like a justified return after a decade-plus away.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

In terms of rating:

Scream (1996) - perfect

I wasn't a big fan of it. It's way, way too meta (even more so than Scream 4, which is shocking to say), it relies way too heavily on the original (even imitating shot-by-shot moments in an inferior fashion), and the original cast was all but wasted here. Then again, I'm overly critical about horror films these days, but I did have some optimism for this one. Just missed the mark and didn't impress me or feel like a justified return after a decade-plus away.

Glad to see someone closer to my thoughts here. I shouldn’t have hyped it up as much as I did in my head, but the trailers made it look better than the final product. A perfectly “okay” movie, but for Scream standards, disappointing.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I recently watched this, after unfortunately missing it in the cinema. One of the better films I have seen. Not bored for a second.

FoxRox wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »

In terms of rating:

Scream (1996) - perfect

Glad to see someone closer to my thoughts here. I shouldn’t have hyped it up as much as I did in my head, but the trailers made it look better than the final product. A perfectly “okay” movie, but for Scream standards, disappointing.

Same here, because it seems like lots of fans are over the moon about it whereas I wasn't impressed overall really.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I've got to watch more Hellraiser films, I've only seen Hell on Earth. But this theme is just superb.

edited January 2022 Posts: 13,894
    I have seen the first 8, and they fall off after the first 4 (some would say 3, but I like the attempt at a bigger scope with Bloodlines).
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I've got to watch more Hellraiser films, I've only seen Hell on Earth. But this theme is just superb.

That's my favorite one of the series.

Much like @MajorDSmythe, the quality starts to nosedive after 3 but I always include Bloodline in my marathon viewings because it has a few good moments and I enjoy the scattering timelines throughout (and bonus points go to that long-haired performance from a younger Adam Scott).