The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think the first two are the very best in terms of story and execution. The music aids the films tremendously but the talent is also on the screen. These two are the most "complete" for me in terms of overall quality and scare factor.

3 and 4 definitely can feed off some interesting myth-building but only if you are willing to look past the silly stuff and occasionally horrendous acting. They present a challenging balancing act between unrecognized genius and borderline self-parody. Pinhead did go to space with more style and grace than Jason or the Leprechaun, I can tell you that.

Of the four straight-to-DVD films that came after Bloodline, I guess I prefer number 8, Hellworld, though some will say that's the worst. I like it for its 'New Nightmare' experiment and its lead cast. 5, 6 and 7 are allright, at times interesting, at times even a tad frightening, but their appeal rests on how willing we are to beat around the bush for an hour before Pinhead finally shows up for a prophetic peekaboo. Boredom is these films' biggest sin. And you know you're in trouble when films get made back-to-back in Eastern Europe for cost-saving reasons.

The 9nth film, Revelations, was merely made to hold on to the rights. It looks like an amateur job someone dropped on YouTube.

The 10nth film, Judgement, is pretty good, in my opinion. It goes crazy with its imagery and makes me wonder if this is what would happen if Cronenberg, Lynch and Carpenter had a baby and no money. Don't expect anything nearly as good as the original, but at least this one may keep you intrigued, solely because of its high WTF factor in the first act.

The upcoming film has me in a dither. Will it be TCM 2003 good or Pet Sematary 2019 bad? We'll see...
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I'm eager to see how both the new series and film are but can't say I'm overly optimistic after the last few lazy installments. I know it's a different cast and crew and all that but I've been let down before, even when expecting so little. Having a female Pinhead surely sounds interesting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'm eager to see how both the new series and film are but can't say I'm overly optimistic after the last few lazy installments. I know it's a different cast and crew and all that but I've been let down before, even when expecting so little. Having a female Pinhead surely sounds interesting.

Until someone yells at the producers because of the gender-swapping. 😉 I myself am very much looking forward to seeing a female Pinhead.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Until someone yells at the producers because of the gender-swapping. 😉 I myself am very much looking forward to seeing a female Pinhead.

I'm sure that's already happened in circles where fans have recognized it's a female now playing the role. I'm looking forward to people trashing that decision into the ground without even having seen footage or images yet.

Plus, wasn't the character way more androgynous in Barker's novels? I've still not gotten around to reading them but that was always my takeaway.
    I always took Barker's cenobytes as almost sexless.
    On Hellraiser, I’ve only seen the first, but I thought it was an awesome practical effects extravaganza!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    On Hellraiser, I’ve only seen the first, but I thought it was an awesome practical effects extravaganza!

It really is! You should at least check out the next two and see what you think.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited January 2022 Posts: 2,927
    Clive Barker had Pinhead speak with 'the voice of an excited girl' in The Hellbound Heart - a quintessential Barker touch. The new Hellraiser is supposedly using the novella as the source, rather than the original film, but jumping off from it into something more. What they've shot so far is supposedly both 'beautiful and terrifying' - which, again, sounds like a very Clive Barker combination. Fingers crossed.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Speaking of the DTV films, I've read good things about number 5. Apparently, it was a non-Hellraiser story that was changed to feature Pinhead at the end, but at least it appears to be good. And Doctor Strange's Scott Derrickson directed it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I had a great time with Scream this evening.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,894
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Speaking of the DTV films, I've read good things about number 5. Apparently, it was a non-Hellraiser story that was changed to feature Pinhead at the end, but at least it appears to be good. And Doctor Strange's Scott Derrickson directed it.

The 5th Hellraiser, that's Inferno, right? Oh no no no. That's the worst one, imo (though I have not yet sampled the exquisite pain* of films 9 and 10) . The reveal was cheap and lazy. I think all the film from 5 on, weren't intended to be Hellraiser films.

* Said in the voice of Doug Bradley:Pinhead.
    Yes, I think they were just scripts lying around that had Cenobites bolted on at a later date! Barker's regained the film rights to Hellraiser now, so at least he can veto any similar knock-offs in future.
    All this talk has me wanting to punish myself by watching all the installments post-Bloodline to see just how bad they are after all these years.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Do it. You'll become a honorary cenobite.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Do it. You'll become a honorary cenobite.

I've seen all of the Bradley films in full, it's the generic "time to retain the rights" installments that I never saw in full. Even the ones post-Bloodline I've only seen the once, so they'd probably be good for a refreshed viewing, as horrible as they may be.
    Inferno is the worst, hands-down. There's nothing there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2022 Posts: 13,894
    All this talk has me wanting to punish myself by watching all the installments post-Bloodline to see just how bad they are after all these years.

18531029.gif

Did no one else think of replying with that gif? Come on, people, i'm disappointed in you all. You have let me down, and frankly, you let yourselves down too. ;)
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 4,813
    New trailer for Texas Chainsaw Massacre. At first I was loving it up until the cell phone part of the end, but then I realized that’s probably the most realistic thing I’ve ever seen in a horror movie :D

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    This actually looks really fun :)
    Some of those shots look great but that last gag kind of took me out of the rest of it, felt way too cheesy. I still don't have high hopes for this one but will check it out regardless once it's released. It surely can't be any worse than that last one.
    Is the Sawyer house now at the edge of the town? Unless that is a different house, and it is how the trailer is cut.

That trailer looks pretty decent, actually, Old Man Leatherface still looks intimidating. I like that gag at the end, that is what the human race has come to. Leatherface doesn’t have time to hear about likes and shares, he’s got killing to do.
    Quick question: can you guys rank your top 5 of zombie horror, please? I'm curious about the "popular" choices for my horror class. ;) Thanks!!
    This will need a bit of thought. :-? Two have come to mind immediately.
    Do 28 Days Later and Neither The Sea Nor The Sand count?
    Venutius wrote: »
    Do 28 Days Later and Neither The Sea Nor The Sand count?

I'm not a fan of narrow definitions when it comes to film genres, so personally, yes, I would include those titles. ;)
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    I don't think I have five, but I can say for sure my favourite zombie horror is Dead Set, a British television series written by Charlie Brooker (Black Mirror). If you haven't seen it it is five episodes and so good.

edited February 2022 Posts: 40,467
    I know it's probably controversial but my favorite is Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake. I love it so much, it's so damn visceral.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I know it's probably controversial but my favorite is Snyder's Dawn of the Dead remake. I love it so much, it's so damn visceral.

Several scenes are visually amazing.

That film is in my top 5 too. Right now, I'm going

1) Dawn Of The Dead 1978
    2) Night Of The Living Dead 1968
    3) Dawn Of The Dead 2004
    4) 28 Weeks Later
    5) Resident Evil
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That film is in my top 5 too. Right now, I'm going

1) Dawn Of The Dead 1978
    2) Night Of The Living Dead 1968
    3) Dawn Of The Dead 2004
    4) 28 Weeks Later
    5) Resident Evil

Great list! I think the original NOTLD would make my Top 5 too. Any reason for your preference of 28 Weeks Later over 28 Days Later? I really enjoyed both and will always pine for a 28 Months Later.